Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,986 members, 7,810,749 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:26 PM

What Car Should A Young Man In His 20's Buy? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Car Should A Young Man In His 20's Buy? (4936 Views)

What Car Can My Mum Buy With 1million Naira Budget? / What Car Type Can A Family Man With An Income Of 110k Per Month Maintain? / What Are The Basic Documents (papers) A Car Should Has? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Car Should A Young Man In His 20's Buy? by DkJay: 6:55am On Jul 30, 2020
So, I don't have the money yet. I'm still seriously broke, but I am working hard and making future plans. By my calculations, in about three years' time, I will be completely out of the reach of poverty (by God's grace). I've been looking at properties in Lagos to buy, not for myself, but so I can rent it out. I figured it's not too early to start making such plans because when the money starts coming in, it's easy to spend it foolishly if you don't know what you want to do with it.

When I travelled home with my parents last year, it was Christmas time and there was scarcity of bus so we had to use a Toyota Sienna, and they commented that they liked the car. So I decided to buy it for them, when I have the money. I did some research, (I'd taken note of the make and model) and I saw that a clean Sienna '07, toks, would cost about 3M, so I put that in my budget. The place we have in Ogun state is not very motorable, so I also have plans to do some modifying, should I get that car.

Before I get my car, there are some serious projects I plan to spend money on, like the buying of landed property in Lagos, amongst others; so you might notice I am not going to be buying just to show off. I am someone who likes to do his things on a very lowkey level, but I'm guessing at some point, in not more than three years, I'll want to get myself a car (after starting my projects, completing some).

I've noticed the life of G-boys, as they call them, in school and the luxury cars they drive -- Camry 2010, 2013, Lexus ES350, IS250, Honda Accord, and the likes. I even saw a BMW X3 once. Lexus is very common. I don't want any of that. In my opinion, it's just calling for trouble. Now I want a kind of car that would be very lowkey, and boring. Something that girls would see it and hiss. Lol. I really don't want unnecessary attention. I also want something that is very functional, utilitarian. I'm over six feet and broad-shouldered so small cars won't do it for me.

Contrary to what some might think at this point, I am not boring, and I absolutely love super cars. I follow the Fast and Furirous franchise beginning to end; my favorite movies all have high intense, professional car driving in them like Jason Statham's Transporter series, Gone in 60 Seconds, Death Race and the anime, Cars (1 - 3). I watch Ken Block gymkhana videos on Youtube, a professional rally driver and something of a celebrity. I also follow David Higgins, also rallycross, 10-year veteran. I once had car revving sounds as my ringtone on my phone. 90% of over 600 wallpapers on my laptop are cars --super cars, and cars are the only wallpapers I use on my phone. I'm studying Mechanical Engineering in school because Automobile Engineering wasn't available in the school of my choice. I have videos on my laptop from a Youtube channel called WIRED where real life professional drivers teach real life pursuit and evade skills with cars. I know the cars of all the G-7 leaders on sight and I was among the people who oohed and aahed when they rolled out Buhari's presidential fleet some years ago and the post made it to Nairaland. I have an affinity for Mercedes Benz, and all German cars in general (despite Nigerian auto mechanics complaining about ease of access when it needs to be maintained) -- Audi, BMW, Porsche, Volkswagen, and all the cars owned by VW. My favorite game, probably the one I've played a million times is Need For Speed Most Wanted. I have played that game start to finish, more than five times. (For those of us familiar with the game, you know how easy that is to do). Even the first two letters of my moniker, "Dk" was gotten from Fast and Furious Toyko Drift (DK stands for Drift King, btw). PES, Mortal Kombat and COD hold little attraction for me. So at the very minimum, I am a car enthusiast.

I have plans to drive a Ferrari in the future, but I get ahead of myself. There's gonna be time for all that and more. I am talking about the next few years. I went on Quora for a car I could buy, I saw some suggestions. One I really liked is Honda CR-V (Yeah, that's right. It's not like I'm going to tint the windows or anything. I still like it). Mind you, I'm not getting any of the later models. I repeat, I want something that is completely below the radar.

So my question is this: After reading this short but punchy story of my life, what car would you suggest I should buy in a few years time?

P.S. Before you give me a suggestion, if it's something young guys like myself are driving all around the country, I am completely NOT interested. I have enough on my plate without having to add the stupidity of SARS and FRSC to it.

Mods, please help push this to the front page.

cc Marpol

BTW, this is my very first topic on Nairaland. Show me some love, guys. grin grin

1 Like

Re: What Car Should A Young Man In His 20's Buy? by Prayfortheworld: 7:04am On Jul 30, 2020
This one don go smoke shit

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Car Should A Young Man In His 20's Buy? by nurey(m): 7:33am On Jul 30, 2020
I just dey laugh grin by the way I didn't finish reading your epistle.

cars would still be available after your 3 years time elapse so just have it in mind that you are buying a car once that 3 years elapse not that you are buying a SEAT Toledo after 3 years because today's technology is tomorrow's garbage.

7 Likes

Re: What Car Should A Young Man In His 20's Buy? by DkJay: 7:41am On Jul 30, 2020
nurey:
I just dey laugh grin by the way I didn't finish reading your epistle.

cars would still be available after your 3 years time elapse so just have it in mind that you are buying a car once that 3 years elapse not that you are buying a SEAT Toledo after 3 years because today's technology is tomorrow's garbage.

Fair 'nough.
Re: What Car Should A Young Man In His 20's Buy? by ndcide(m): 9:06am On Jul 30, 2020
What business do you do.

1 Like

Re: What Car Should A Young Man In His 20's Buy? by DkJay: 9:42am On Jul 30, 2020
ndcide:
What business do you do.

Just started a digital marketing agency with a colleague. But we don't target Nigerian companies.

I also write, currently working on a novel that I'll publish on Amazon. I do creative designs as well. Just this morning, I created a banner for a LinkedIn profile, but that's mine.

What do you do?

2 Likes

Re: What Car Should A Young Man In His 20's Buy? by Federalmike: 11:02am On Jul 30, 2020
DkJay:
So, I don't have the money yet. I'm still seriously broke, but I am working hard and making future plans. By my calculations, in about three years' time, I will be completely out of the reach of poverty (by God's grace). I've been looking at properties in Lagos to buy, not for myself, but so I can rent it out. I figured it's not too early to start making such plans because when the money starts coming in, it's easy to spend it foolishly if you don't know what you want to do with it.

When I travelled home with my parents last year, it was Christmas time and there was scarcity of bus so we had to use a Toyota Sienna, and they commented that they liked the car. So I decided to buy it for them, when I have the money. I did some research, (I'd taken note of the make and model) and I saw that a clean Sienna '07, toks, would cost about 3M, so I put that in my budget. The place we have in Ogun state is not very motorable, so I also have plans to do some modifying, should I get that car.

Now, for myself, I am not yet 22. Also before I get my car, there are some serious projects I plan to spend money on, like the buying of landed property in Lagos, amongst others; so you might notice I am not going to be buying just to show off. I am someone who likes to do his things on a very lowkey level, but I'm guessing at some point, in not more than three years, I'll want to get myself a car (after starting my projects, completing some).

I've noticed the life of G-boys, as they call them, in school and the luxury cars they drive -- Camry 2010, 2013, Lexus ES350, IS250, Honda Accord, and the likes. I even saw a BMW X3 once. Lexus is very common. I don't want any of that. In my opinion, it's just calling for trouble. Now I want a kind of car that would be very lowkey, and boring. Something that girls would see it and hiss. Lol. I really don't want unnecessary attention. I also want something that is very functional, utilitarian. I'm over six feet and broad-shouldered so small cars won't do it for me.

Contrary to what some might think at this point, I am not boring, and I absolutely love super cars. I follow the Fast and Furirous franchise beginning to end; my favorite movies all have high intense, professional car driving in them like Jason Statham's Transporter series, Gone in 60 Seconds, Death Race and the anime, Cars (1 - 3). I watch Ken Block gymkhana videos on Youtube, a professional rally driver and something of a celebrity. I also follow David Higgins, also rallycross, 10-year veteran. I once had car revving sounds as my ringtone on my phone. 90% of over 600 wallpapers on my laptop are cars --super cars, and cars are the only wallpapers I use on my phone. I'm studying Mechanical Engineering in school because Automobile Engineering wasn't available in the school of my choice. I have videos on my laptop from a Youtube channel called WIRED where real life professional drivers teach real life pursuit and evade skills with cars. I know the cars of all the G-7 leaders on sight and I was among the people who oohed and aahed when they rolled out Buhari's presidential fleet some years ago and the post made it to Nairaland. I have an affinity for Mercedes Benz, and all German cars in general (despite Nigerian auto mechanics complaining about ease of access when it needs to be maintained) -- Audi, BMW, Porsche, Volkswagen, and all the cars owned by VW. My favorite game, probably the one I've played a million times is Need For Speed Most Wanted. I have played that game start to finish, more than five times. (For those of us familiar with the game, you know how easy that is to do). Even the first two letters of my moniker, "Dk" was gotten from Fast and Furious Toyko Drift (DK stands for Drift King, btw). PES, Mortal Kombat and COD hold little attraction for me. So at the very minimum, I am a car enthusiast.

I have plans to drive a Ferrari in the future, but I get ahead of myself. There's gonna be time for all that and more. I am talking about the next few years. I went on Quora for a car I could buy, I saw some suggestions. One I really liked is Honda CR-V (Yeah, that's right. It's not like I'm going to tint the windows or anything. I still like it). Mind you, I'm not getting any of the later models. I repeat, I want something that is completely below the radar.

So my question is this: After reading this short but punchy story of my life, what car would you suggest I should buy in a few years time?

P.S. Before you give me a suggestion, if it's something young guys like myself are driving all around the country, I am completely NOT interested. I have enough on my plate without having to add the stupidity of SARS and FRSC to it.

cc Marpol

BTW, this is my very first topic on Nairaland. Show me some love, guys. grin grin

wtf is wrong with you ?

4 Likes

Re: What Car Should A Young Man In His 20's Buy? by ndcide(m): 5:04pm On Jul 30, 2020
DkJay:

Just started a digital marketing agency with a colleague. But we don't target Nigerian companies.

I also write, currently working on a novel that I'll publish on Amazon. I do creative designs as well. Just this morning, I created a banner for a LinkedIn profile, but that's mine.

What do you do?

I'm looking for a business to venture. Do you mind if I partner with you?
Re: What Car Should A Young Man In His 20's Buy? by DkJay: 5:06pm On Jul 30, 2020
ndcide:

I'm looking for a business to venture. Do you mind if I partner with you?

Sure. What would you like us to do together?
Re: What Car Should A Young Man In His 20's Buy? by HeavenlyBang(m): 5:11pm On Jul 30, 2020
Was this thread really worth creating? Especially with all these many talk?

1 Like

Re: What Car Should A Young Man In His 20's Buy? by ndcide(m): 7:32pm On Jul 30, 2020
DkJay:

Sure. What would you like us to do together?

The digital marketing.. I'm interested in that area
Re: What Car Should A Young Man In His 20's Buy? by Themandalorian: 9:04pm On Jul 30, 2020
Man wants to eat his cake and have it cheesy grin grin
He wants a boring looking car that won't attract attention but he doesn't like sleeper cars.

Hmmm let me think

Go and Turbo charge a 2007 Honda city, it will look like a sleeper but its gonna be pretty quick.

2 Likes

Re: What Car Should A Young Man In His 20's Buy? by GabrielYulaw(m): 12:40am On Jul 31, 2020
I think you should buy a second gen Nissan Xterra. I currently have my eye on year 2011 to 2013. Reason is that the car is very rugged and reliable. That is very important these days because most roads in the Nigeria of nowadays are simply not motorable.

The Nissan Xterra is fully offroad and can go anywhere. It doesn't attract attention too, which means SARS will probably leave you alone when they see you driving it
Re: What Car Should A Young Man In His 20's Buy? by DkJay: 6:12pm On Jul 31, 2020
GabrielYulaw:
I think you should buy a second gen Nissan Xterra. I currently have my eye on year 2011 to 2013. Reason is that the car is very rugged and reliable. That is very important these days because most roads in the Nigeria of nowadays are simply not motorable.

The Nissan Xterra is fully offroad and can go anywhere. It doesn't attract attention too, which means SARS will probably leave you alone when they see you driving it

Thanks, mate.

I'll definitely consider it
Re: What Car Should A Young Man In His 20's Buy? by Inception(m): 7:37pm On Jul 31, 2020
HeavenlyBang:
Was this thread really worth creating? Especially with all these many talk?

I think it is.

It gives a ray of hope when you hear young minds know how they want their future to be shaped.

With a clear sense of direction, and a timeline , of course.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Car Should A Young Man In His 20's Buy? by HeavenlyBang(m): 7:42pm On Jul 31, 2020
Inception:

I think it is.

It gives a ray of hope when you hear young minds know how they want their future to be shaped.

With a clear sense of direction, and a timeline , of course.

I don't think there's anything wrong with asking what car to buy and giving your preferences. My main gripe is more with how tangential most of the post is.

Lost me at the paragraph when he started talking about his education. Completely irrelevant and, in my opinion, potentially a sign of an unfocused, wandering mind.
Re: What Car Should A Young Man In His 20's Buy? by oride: 7:48pm On Jul 31, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

I don't think there's anything wrong with asking what car to buy and giving your preferences. My main gripe is more with how tangential most of the post is.

Lost me at the paragraph when he started talking about his education. Completely irrelevant and, in my opinion, potentially a sign of an unfocused, wandering mind.

Apt
Re: What Car Should A Young Man In His 20's Buy? by Inception(m): 8:39pm On Jul 31, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

True.. True...

But sometimes we need to accommodate folks that blow trumpets... For that is who they are.

And besides, I think all the 'talk' is simply to suppress his true innate desire for the car he really wants to buy. We all know that when the money comes, that CRV will be no where near that first choice of his.

But to be honest, I kind of like his 'plans' he revealed in the digression from the main issue at hand( the car to buy). Quite puerile, but still...

3 Likes

Re: What Car Should A Young Man In His 20's Buy? by Born2conquer: 10:56am On Aug 01, 2020
DkJay:

Now, for myself, I am not yet 22. Also before I get my car, there are some serious projects I plan to spend money on, like the buying of landed property in Lagos, amongst others; so you might notice I am not going to be buying just to show off. I am someone who likes to do his things on a very lowkey level, but I'm guessing at some point, in not more than three years, I'll want to get myself a car (after starting my projects, completing some).

cc Marpol

Get an highlander
Re: What Car Should A Young Man In His 20's Buy? by sandysaint: 12:03pm On Aug 01, 2020
I like the way you write for your age. I was probably writing like this when I was your age but I can't say.

For your first car (and looking at your dreams), get a Honda Baby boy. It's sturdy, performs well on the road and not so flashy but respectable.

2 Likes

Re: What Car Should A Young Man In His 20's Buy? by DkJay: 6:54pm On Aug 01, 2020
sandysaint:
I like the way you write for your age. I was probably writing like this when I was your age but I can't say.

For your first car (and looking at your dreams), get a Honda Baby boy. It's sturdy, performs well on the road and not so flashy but respectable.

Thanks. I'll put it on the list
Re: What Car Should A Young Man In His 20's Buy? by charcoal(m): 12:36am On Aug 02, 2020
I love my Corolla many people think I am an Uber driver �. . I like that not getting noticed feeling.
Re: What Car Should A Young Man In His 20's Buy? by CeterisXVII: 5:13pm On Sep 07, 2020
GabrielYulaw:

The parts are expensive, and it is not fuel economical.
Re: What Car Should A Young Man In His 20's Buy? by GabrielYulaw(m): 10:00pm On Sep 07, 2020
CeterisXVII:

The parts are expensive, and it is not fuel economical.

You sure? Was told it shares the same parts as the Nissan Pathfinder and they are cheap. I can accept it not being economical with fuel cos you need that kind of car these days that Naija roads don collapse everywhere.
Re: What Car Should A Young Man In His 20's Buy? by Nobody: 7:21am On Sep 08, 2020
Vboot will do
Re: What Car Should A Young Man In His 20's Buy? by CeterisXVII: 5:03pm On Sep 08, 2020
GabrielYulaw:
You sure? Was told it shares the same parts as the Nissan Pathfinder and they are cheap. I can accept it not being economical with fuel cos you need that kind of car these days that Naija roads don collapse everywhere.

I currently own one. It is only the Xterra 2000 - 2003 models whose parts are affordable.

The more recent 2nd generation model from 2005 upwards do NOT have cheap parts.
Re: What Car Should A Young Man In His 20's Buy? by GabrielYulaw(m): 8:26pm On Sep 08, 2020
CeterisXVII:

I currently own one. It is only the Xterra 2000 - 2003 models whose parts are affordable.

The more recent 2nd generation model from 2005 upwards do NOT have cheap parts.

I appreciate the clarification. Thanks.
Re: What Car Should A Young Man In His 20's Buy? by alphaNomega: 3:36am On Sep 09, 2020
Buy the closest thing to your dream car. I saw a BMW on your list, you should try it. Make sure you go with a friend who has experience with the brand so you don't purchase a lemon and start hating BMW
Re: What Car Should A Young Man In His 20's Buy? by Banfe6(m): 7:08am On Sep 09, 2020
sandysaint:

How much can I get a babyboy, very neat one

I love neat cars
Re: What Car Should A Young Man In His 20's Buy? by Privatepart00: 2:07pm On Sep 09, 2020
Nissan Micra is better
Then change the tires and rim to bigger ones
You can even extend the space carriage at the back
Nobody is going to start suspecting you

1 Like

Re: What Car Should A Young Man In His 20's Buy? by Ayomarcel(m): 3:31pm On Sep 09, 2020
Funny guy. Lol. But, let's the 3 years come first. Gather some good amount and get those landed properties you want. Cars ain't going nowhere. You can keep your eyes on the Acura ILX models in the next few years.
Re: What Car Should A Young Man In His 20's Buy? by Aaaaarghmed(m): 3:44pm On Sep 09, 2020
Banfe6:

How much can I get a babyboy, very neat one

I love neat cars
500k wud get u a neat baby boy with a functioning Ac,anything less than that maybe u might be lucky but like u emphasised on neat cars so hold 500k

(1) (2) (Reply)

Benz C240 Issues / Introducing The Latest 2017 Toyota Corolla – See Specs And Price / Please Is 2008 Nissan Altima A Good Car???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.