Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,616 members, 7,823,691 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:27 PM

Worst Time For Me To Be A Nigerian (I No Longer Blame The Whites) - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Worst Time For Me To Be A Nigerian (I No Longer Blame The Whites) (499 Views)

"Blame No One But Yourself" - BUA Replies Dangote In Explosive Letter / Aminu Dantata: I Am Just Waiting For My Time, I No Longer Enjoy Life / Pls What Bussiness Can I Do With #100 Pls Nigerian I Need Your Serious Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Worst Time For Me To Be A Nigerian (I No Longer Blame The Whites) by SeunSister: 2:46pm On Jul 31, 2020
So nairalanders, I must confess that the last few weeks or let me say the days that made up July have been the worst ever for me as a Nigerian leaving me regretting why i landed in this space in the first instance. I am almost giving up in life even though I still try to encourage myself to keep my hopes high.

So, I am a web developer and was able to create a forum that is already gaining momentum but then my phone got spoilt leaving me with no means to maintain it. I had no option than to sell it in order to acquire a phone.

After getting a phone, I needed to start something else as I can't sit idle. I am that kinda of person that believe that if you don't do what is needed in your youthful days, you won't find it funny thereafter and as such, I do almost everything with caution while having my future at the forefront.

So I created another web script, launched it with a Nigerian web host and the result was amazing and unexpected. Like, in the evening of the second day after launching the site, my site received more than 20,000 visitors and this was strange to me. Visited my cpanel and discovered that the 10GB bandwidth I bought and thought was enough has been reduced to 1.something GB. Like, I knew that day being the third day after launching my site, the site was definitely going to go offline cause just that morning alone, over 11k visitors have already been recorded.

All these alongside the frequent downtimes I was experiencing with the nigerian web host made me decide to go for a foreign webhost but the method of payment was the problem as I am not a fan of Nigerian banks especially their rude customer care. As such, I opted for a guy here on nairaland to help me make the payment for a fee not knowing that he was a scammer. He scammed me of the sum I borrowed and hope to pay back.

Keeping my hopes high, I opted for another loan from a friend but this time, I vowed to get a good bank account and do the payment myself. I visited the bank (GTB) for like three times before I was told I now have a standard account. On my way home, I decided to visit an MTN store to inquire about this 4G upgrade of a thing cause I have been receiving countless SMS urging me to upgrade and since, I spotted an MTN store close by, I decided to check in before going home.

While trekking the few kilometers leading to the store, I just heard a guy, who was previously speeding on a lady's bike stopped and called for my attention. At first, I thought he knew me from somewhere but on getting closer, I discovered he wanted to plead with me to help him with his supposed faulty bike.

At first, he asked if there was any mechanic in the area and I was like, I don't live around here and that, i just came to visit the GTBank over here. He said okay but please his bike is faulty and that he needs my assistance to get some touches on it that will help him get to the nearest mechanic that will help in fixing it. Being the kind or soft hearted guy na, I decided to help not knowing that his intentions were to steal my phone and wallet.

He was like, I should help him raise the front of the bike which I was trying to do while he was busy stealing from me. After taking my phone, he started making moves for my wallet and that was when it dawned on me that something wasn't right. Like, this person I was trying to help was so rude. Pushing my legs into uncomfortable positions while making pronouncement like "carry it like this", "No, don't touch that place", "Can't you carry this place ne?". It was just unusual of one, who needs your help and as such, I got provoked telling him I never woke up today just to have him to be pushing my legs anyhow and telling me nonsense. Immediately I took a step from him, he hurriedly jumped into his bike and moved. I was like "Thank God o, carry your problem and go" not knowing that the guy has already stolen my phone. I soon realized this only to turn back, I saw the guy far away moving hastily with his bike. I couldn't shout cause everywhere was kinda quiet but thank God, he was unable to succeed taking my wallet.

It was painful sha. I lost most of the web scripts on my phone which were not on my system and a lot of files. I needed to go to the bank four consecutive times once again just to do change of phone number and get a MasterCard ATM, which I was hopeful will help me with my international payments, created my site from scratch again and bought a new phone with the loan I earlier took.

Now, planning on how to get money and bounce back on making the payment only to discover that most of the international payment gateways available and acceptable in the world have blocked Nigerians from accessibility due to fraud activities.

Which kind country be this? I just wish I never belonged here. Even Togo, Benin and Cameroon would have been better place.

My dreams truncated just like that and the painful aspect is that almost every Nigerian is into this scamming and thievery stuff of a thing and as such, the problem will continue to get worst.

It is indeed a worst time to be a Nigerian. I pity myself and my fellows, who were born into a poor background. How do we escape this in this country, Nigeria? It is also sad that the poor fellow is also the one causing problem for his colleague's hustle.

I no longer blame the whites and Arabians discriminating against us as a result of our stupid attitude because this my experience alone have made me to hate my fellow countrymen. Like, I can never help nor trust a fellow Nigerian again.

Chai

3 Likes

Re: Worst Time For Me To Be A Nigerian (I No Longer Blame The Whites) by badaru911: 3:33pm On Jul 31, 2020
Sorry man... Truly I can feel your pain.. It will surely hurt someone if ones plan didn't work as expected.... Well, Nigeria, a country of Dream killers..
Re: Worst Time For Me To Be A Nigerian (I No Longer Blame The Whites) by mahvellux(m): 3:39pm On Jul 31, 2020
Sadly its seeming the only way to make it in this country is to be highly crooked and dishonest..
I believe it will get better for us; the Honest few someday
Re: Worst Time For Me To Be A Nigerian (I No Longer Blame The Whites) by udoka2013: 3:52pm On Jul 31, 2020
Sorry bros for your loss and disappointments. We are in a shithole controled by a lifeless entity, apology to Trump. That is what many passes through on daily bases. I think the best is splitting this contraption call Niger area.
Re: Worst Time For Me To Be A Nigerian (I No Longer Blame The Whites) by Nobody: 4:16pm On Jul 31, 2020
Nigeria is a script written by a drunk mad man
Re: Worst Time For Me To Be A Nigerian (I No Longer Blame The Whites) by sammirano: 4:37pm On Jul 31, 2020
Hmm. You are still a learner, help for Nigeria? Also, you say you are a web developer, then you shoukd explore int'l payment options like paypal, payoneer instead of nig banks.
Re: Worst Time For Me To Be A Nigerian (I No Longer Blame The Whites) by SeunSister: 8:56pm On Jul 31, 2020
sammirano:
Hmm. You are still a learner, help for Nigeria? Also, you say you are a web developer, then you shoukd explore int'l payment options like paypal, payoneer instead of nig banks.
Dats wat I was trying to do... Created a PayPal account and needed a bank card to fund it but only to find out that GTBank is not allowing their card for use.
Re: Worst Time For Me To Be A Nigerian (I No Longer Blame The Whites) by Nobody: 9:03pm On Jul 31, 2020
Chei bro
Don't give up, you sound very promising so dont let anyone or anything keep u down
Nigeria is one kind of place, bear in mind that youkk eventually make it one day
Re: Worst Time For Me To Be A Nigerian (I No Longer Blame The Whites) by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:23pm On Jul 31, 2020
Guy you are a web developer. It is in demand everywhere. Japa.
Re: Worst Time For Me To Be A Nigerian (I No Longer Blame The Whites) by Nobody: 9:41pm On Jul 31, 2020
Re: Worst Time For Me To Be A Nigerian (I No Longer Blame The Whites) by TheManofTomorrow(m): 10:27pm On Jul 31, 2020
unratedcollins:
Op, please don't give up. One of the few things I have come to realize is that if you are an average citizen of Nigeria with no connection, skills, and penchant for schoomsing and fradulent means. It will be very difficult for the person to ascend the ladder.

But I credit you because u have a good paying skill. Please don't let Nigeria's situations put out ur fire. I beg of you. All these will be stories to tell in coming years.

Come and offer your freelancing services on Freelancing sites till u gain momentum and your site gains traction.

I can help you out with the process free of cost if you like.

And I admire your zeal to suceed legitimately too
Re: Worst Time For Me To Be A Nigerian (I No Longer Blame The Whites) by SeunSister: 2:15pm On Aug 01, 2020
TheManofTomorrow:

Op, please don't give up. One of the few things I have come to realize is that if you are an average citizen of Nigeria with no connection, skills, and penchant for schoomsing and fradulent means. It will be very difficult for the person to ascend the ladder.

But I credit you because u have a good paying skill. Please don't let Nigeria's situations put out ur fire. I beg of you. All these will be stories to tell in coming years.

Come and offer your freelancing services on Freelancing sites till u gain momentum and your site gains traction.

I can help you out with the process free of cost if you like.

And I admire your zeal to suceed legitimately too
Thanks for your encouragements sir
Re: Worst Time For Me To Be A Nigerian (I No Longer Blame The Whites) by SeunSister: 2:16pm On Aug 01, 2020
Thanks guys for the encouragements
Re: Worst Time For Me To Be A Nigerian (I No Longer Blame The Whites) by Depressed101: 2:36pm On Aug 01, 2020
SeunSister:
So nairalanders, I must confess that the last few weeks or let me say the days that made up July have been the worst ever for me as a Nigerian leaving me regretting why i landed in this space in the first instance. I am almost giving up in life even though I still try to encourage myself to keep my hopes high.

So, I am a web developer and was able to create a forum that is already gaining momentum but then my phone got spoilt leaving me with no means to maintain it. I had no option than to sell it in order to acquire a phone.

After getting a phone, I needed to start something else as I can't sit idle. I am that kinda of person that believe that if you don't do what is needed in your youthful days, you won't find it funny thereafter and as such, I do almost everything with caution while having my future at the forefront.

So I created another web script, launched it with a Nigerian web host and the result was amazing and unexpected. Like, in the evening of the second day after launching the site, my site received more than 20,000 visitors and this was strange to me. Visited my cpanel and discovered that the 10GB bandwidth I bought and thought was enough has been reduced to 1.something GB. Like, I knew that day being the third day after launching my site, the site was definitely going to go offline cause just that morning alone, over 11k visitors have already been recorded.

All these alongside the frequent downtimes I was experiencing with the nigerian web host made me decide to go for a foreign webhost but the method of payment was the problem as I am not a fan of Nigerian banks especially their rude customer care. As such, I opted for a guy here on nairaland to help me make the payment for a fee not knowing that he was a scammer. He scammed me of the sum I borrowed and hope to pay back.

Keeping my hopes high, I opted for another loan from a friend but this time, I vowed to get a good bank account and do the payment myself. I visited the bank (GTB) for like three times before I was told I now have a standard account. On my way home, I decided to visit an MTN store to inquire about this 4G upgrade of a thing cause I have been receiving countless SMS urging me to upgrade and since, I spotted an MTN store close by, I decided to check in before going home.

While trekking the few kilometers leading to the store, I just heard a guy, who was previously speeding on a lady's bike stopped and called for my attention. At first, I thought he knew me from somewhere but on getting closer, I discovered he wanted to plead with me to help him with his supposed faulty bike.

At first, he asked if there was any mechanic in the area and I was like, I don't live around here and that, i just came to visit the GTBank over here. He said okay but please his bike is faulty and that he needs my assistance to get some touches on it that will help him get to the nearest mechanic that will help in fixing it. Being the kind or soft hearted guy na, I decided to help not knowing that his intentions were to steal my phone and wallet.

He was like, I should help him raise the front of the bike which I was trying to do while he was busy stealing from me. After taking my phone, he started making moves for my wallet and that was when it dawned on me that something wasn't right. Like, this person I was trying to help was so rude. Pushing my legs into uncomfortable positions while making pronouncement like "carry it like this", "No, don't touch that place", "Can't you carry this place ne?". It was just unusual of one, who needs your help and as such, I got provoked telling him I never woke up today just to have him to be pushing my legs anyhow and telling me nonsense. Immediately I took a step from him, he hurriedly jumped into his bike and moved. I was like "Thank God o, carry your problem and go" not knowing that the guy has already stolen my phone. I soon realized this only to turn back, I saw the guy far away moving hastily with his bike. I couldn't shout cause everywhere was kinda quiet but thank God, he was unable to succeed taking my wallet.

It was painful sha. I lost most of the web scripts on my phone which were not on my system and a lot of files. I needed to go to the bank four consecutive times once again just to do change of phone number and get a MasterCard ATM, which I was hopeful will help me with my international payments, created my site from scratch again and bought a new phone with the loan I earlier took.

Now, planning on how to get money and bounce back on making the payment only to discover that most of the international payment gateways available and acceptable in the world have blocked Nigerians from accessibility due to fraud activities.

Which kind country be this? I just wish I never belonged here. Even Togo, Benin and Cameroon would have been better place.

My dreams truncated just like that and the painful aspect is that almost every Nigerian is into this scamming and thievery stuff of a thing and as such, the problem will continue to get worst.

It is indeed a worst time to be a Nigerian. I pity myself and my fellows, who were born into a poor background. How do we escape this in this country, Nigeria? It is also sad that the poor fellow is also the one causing problem for his colleague's hustle.

I no longer blame the whites and Arabians discriminating against us as a result of our stupid attitude because this my experience alone have made me to hate my fellow countrymen. Like, I can never help nor trust a fellow Nigerian again.

Chai
accept my pm
Re: Worst Time For Me To Be A Nigerian (I No Longer Blame The Whites) by SeunSister: 6:17pm On Aug 01, 2020
Depressed101:
accept my pm
Done sir

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

80% Sure Daily 1.8 To 2.2 Odd On Bet9ja Game Only / Abuja Face To Face Raw Cash FX In FCMB / Classic & Beautiful Female Shoes Available For Sale At Moderate Prices

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.