Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,008 members, 7,821,543 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:42 PM

Tenancy Agreement - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Tenancy Agreement (737 Views)

Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? / Abuja Records 30% Decline On Tenancy Fees / The New Lagos Tenancy Law:who Does It Favour Most? The Lanlord Or The Tenant? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tenancy Agreement by Subomi007: 12:46am On Aug 03, 2020
Good morning all,
Please, I need input and contribution to assist me to make a decision without any regret.

I recently secured an accommodation, precisely in the month of May, kindly note that the accommodation was not fully ready at the time of payment, some electrical connections was not in place, including some pipe fittings.

The landlord promised that the fittings and electrical connection will be carried out within one week, we agreed and I never have any doubt regarding that. As a new building, alot still need to be done, the surrounding has no floor levelling, no compound or gate, I asked him if any work will be done on those point and he immediately highlighted his plans and that everything will be put in place within few months, let me add that the main power supply line to the building came from his second building where he's living.

During the that time, I asked him different questions, and he never informed me of any serious issue that could be of much concern to me, and he told me the amount I'll be paying for the phcn bill and I agreed to it.

So, I packed in and settled in the month of May, now just 3days ago, my landlord sent me a tenancy agreement through one of brother, I read through it and all the rules are not okay to me, some of the rules are I'm not okay with are
1. To indemnify the landlord to the tune of damages or destruction don to the demised premises or to the building by failure or negligence on the part of the tenant or dependant.
2. Not to make or permit to be made any structural alterations, addition, removal on the demised premises or any part thereof without prior consent in writing to the landlord
3.Not to move out or move into the compound of the building comprising the demised premises as from 10pm in the night.
4. Not to pack goods inside the demised premises
5. Not to station your generator at any place or point in your flat.
6.that the rent is subject to review from time to time and many more.

On the point 2, on the day I was fixing my dstv, he challenged me that why do I have to fix it without his consent(before the tenancy agreement was written)
On point 5, no point is design for generator, so I'm wondering where to put my gen, presently my generator is stationed at a small varanda in my flat.
Point 3, I work and sometimes I do get home late.
Point 6. I was so unhappy when he told me he's going to review the rent at the expiration of my rent and I can always pay for 2 years or more if I don't want such review.

Please, all the point I listed out was discussed with him, he didn't just want me to sign, he simply told me nothing to fear, that I should sign.

It was while having a discussion with my neighbor(we packed in almost the same time)regarding the tenancy agreement that I found out that for the same apartment, I paid more than the other tenant, we are 3 tenant.

Please, what can I do to address this, I don't think the rules is doable...

Please, kindly share your experience and knowledge.
Re: Tenancy Agreement by Nobody: 12:54am On Aug 03, 2020
You have packed in and paid that is the challenge .I would just advise you be a gentle tenant pending when your rent expires or seek advice from a lawyer but this agreements should have been presented to you before payments were made. Just tell the landlord you need to seek legal advice before signing anything else you're binded by them,because a single clause can knock you out.

1 Like

Re: Tenancy Agreement by Subomi007: 12:59am On Aug 03, 2020
uruba23:
You have packed in and paid that is the challenge .I would just advise you be a gentle tenant pending when your rent expires or seek advice from a lawyer but this agreements should have been presented to you before payments were made. Just tell the landlord you need to seek legal advice before signing anything else you're binded by them.

Thank you, if such agreement has been presented to at the point of making payment or before packing in, then gladly I'll look for another apartment.

1 Like

Re: Tenancy Agreement by EricSmallz(m): 1:41am On Aug 03, 2020
Subomi007:

Thank you, if such agreement has been presented to at the point of making payment or before packing in, then gladly I'll look for another apartment.
Tell your Landlord you are not signing the agreement. Or have you signed it? Agreement between landlord and tenant like every other agreement ought to put both parties into consideration and as such be fair. Whatever you sign becomes binding on you, that is why he ought to have given you the agreement before packing in to know if you are okay with the terms stated therein.
You have the right to refuse to sign, tell him whatever you want him to edit and if he fails to edit it, don't sign.
The law is in your favor if there is no agreement.
He cannot impose things on you after 3 months of moving in.
Which state is this though?
Re: Tenancy Agreement by Subomi007: 2:16am On Aug 03, 2020
EricSmallz:

Tell your Landlord you are not signing the agreement. Or have you signed it? Agreement between landlord and tenant like every other agreement ought to put both parties into consideration and as such be fair. Whatever you sign becomes binding on you, that is why he ought to have given you the agreement before packing in to know if you are okay with the terms stated therein.
You have the right to refuse to sign, tell him whatever you want him to edit and if he fails to edit it, don't sign.
The law is in your favor if there is no agreement.
He cannot impose things on you after 3 months of moving in.
Which state is this though?

Ogun state, have met with him and I pointed out the grey areas, some points in the agreement are quite inexplicit and I just want us to have a resolution on it.

No, have not signed it, in fact I'm with the 3 copies of the agreement.

He sent me a message via whatsap that I should sign it so him can send it to the lawyer today.

Thank you for your input, I just hope I can bare it, paying the agent and agreement isn't that easy.
Re: Tenancy Agreement by chukwuibuipob: 3:38am On Aug 03, 2020
sad
Re: Tenancy Agreement by SoldierPikin: 5:24am On Aug 03, 2020
Some of these these things are standard.
The 10pm thing I have not heard before but it may be because of security challenges.
Just tell your landlord what you have issue with. Talk to him one on one. But don't present yourself as a bad tenant or he can make your life hell.

(1) (Reply)

₦95M: 5 Bedroom Detached Home For Sale In Ajah (Photos) / Re:painting And Before Painting Pictures Value Paints Homes Of Beauty / Distress Sale Of 4bedroomsemi Detach Duplex At Ikotavilla Estate Lekki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.