Stats: 3,158,576 members, 7,837,171 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:15 PM

We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King (17823 Views)

Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS / Evander Holyfield Visits Badagry To Trace His Roots / African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by fstranger3(m): 6:48am On Feb 13, 2011
^^^

Not before you
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by asha2: 8:29am On Feb 13, 2011
some of these guys in sierra leone are igbo and yoruba slave descendants hence the higher proportion of igbo and yoruba names there.as for someone saying that it is because they like to name their children after african heroes abeg tell that to the birds.so all those igbo and yoruba middlenames are african heroes past?
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by dayokanu(m): 9:44am On Feb 13, 2011
Mukinatu Ngozi-Chinyere NwOBOdo
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by excanny: 10:53am On Feb 13, 2011
Mukina2, you are really getting it all wrong. No Igbo here is trying to claim you or anyone. I really do not like the way you are turning things around. I find the whole episode educating, hence, I kept asking you the meanings of kanu and okoro in those languages.

Ofcourse, you keep running away from the questions in the guise that someone is trying to claim people.
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by fstranger3(m): 11:25am On Feb 13, 2011
^^^^

You are becoming annoying and repetitive

She doesnt want you to claim her, go look for other people to claim,like the Jews, the Somalis, claim anyone but her and her people. Why is that difficult for you to understand?

Are you Ibo?
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by aljharem(m): 11:31am On Feb 13, 2011
mukina2, excanny is right. Can you answer the question about people with Kanu, Okoro, Obi etc with middle or surnames in Salone

it is actually very educative to know this things and learn about other countries since you have lived there undecided

We are waiting for your reply smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by Abagworo(m): 12:02pm On Feb 13, 2011
The truth is that the first Igbo bible was done in Isuama dialect in Sierra leone.The descendants of those Isuama people are still there.

There is no need to twist issues here in order to turn against Igbos.That is absurd and Mukina or whatever you call yourself should not try to re-write a documented history because it is too late.
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by fstranger3(m): 12:10pm On Feb 13, 2011
Abagworo:

The truth is that the first Igbo bible was done in Isuama dialect in Sierra leone.The descendants of those Isuama people are still there.

There is no need to twist issues here in order to turn against Igbos.That is absurd and Mukina or whatever you call yourself should not try to re-write a documented history because it is too late.

Dates?
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by excanny: 12:35pm On Feb 13, 2011
fstranger3:

^^^^

You are becoming annoying and repetitive

She doesnt want you to claim her, go look for other people to claim,like the Jews, the Somalis, claim anyone but her and her people. Why is that difficult for you to understand?

Are you Ibo?

lol. What's wrong in trying to claim a slim beauty like Mukina2. Much better than claiming you, though.
No. I'm not Ibo. I'm Heebo.
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by aljharem(m): 1:47pm On Feb 13, 2011
excanny:

lol. What's wrong in trying to claim a slim beauty like Mukina2. Much better than claiming you, though.
No. I'm not Ibo. I'm Heebo.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin good one brother, good one grin wink wink wink
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by fstranger3(m): 6:01pm On Feb 13, 2011
alj harem:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin good one brother, good one grin wink wink wink

WHy?

I am Ebo too!

Remember, Alhaji Chukwuemeka, thats my name
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by Nobody: 8:43pm On Feb 13, 2011
mukinatu will change her name to mukinoma

or mukioma
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by aljharem(m): 8:58pm On Feb 13, 2011
fstranger3:

WHy?

I am Ebo too!

Remember, Alhaji Chukwuemeka, thats my name

ok grin grin grin grin
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by excanny: 9:03am On Feb 14, 2011
tpiah!:

mukinatu will change her name to mukinoma

or mukioma

Not funny!
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by fstranger3(m): 9:14am On Feb 14, 2011
excanny:

Not funny!
What more is better than an eboised version of Mukina, and while we are at it, we shall do a loboyomy on her and stuff her brain with Akpu.

And here you have it, A fully Eboised Mikina that is sure to never goo back to Sierra Leone
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by excanny: 11:21am On Feb 14, 2011
fstranger3:

What more is better than an eboised version of Mukina, and while we are at it, we shall do a loboyomy on her and stuff her brain with Akpu.

And here you have it, A fully Eboised Mikina that is sure to never goo back to Sierra Leone

Do you even know the meaning of 'Akpu'? It's a foreign food in Igboland.

Your folks in Ngbatiland eat it most. mou-mou.
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by mukina2: 11:37am On Feb 14, 2011
henry101:

I know but not to the extent of having a handful of people in freetown with Igbo names because of the reason You gave.

handful where? I can name 10/20 creole/oku/foulahtong people with yoruba names but ask me to name 10 with igbo sounding names i'll struggle to make 5. I only gave that example because you assumed my uncle is igbo related.

All through out school ,  the only igbo sounding name i knew was one chukwuemeka(sp)

Abagworo:

The truth is that the first Igbo bible was done in Isuama dialect in Sierra leone.The descendants of those Isuama  people are still there.

Who is turning against igbo? rewrite history or not. we do not have igbo tribe in freetown.
I call myself mukina i do not know what you call yourself. and keep the getting personal out of this.
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by sbeezy8: 5:31pm On Feb 14, 2011
mukina2:

handful where? I can name 10/20 creole/oku/foulahtong people with yoruba names but ask me to name 10 with igbo sounding names i'll struggle to make 5. I only gave that example because you assumed my uncle is igbo related.

All through out school ,  the only igbo sounding name i knew was one chukwuemeka(sp)
Who is turning against igbo? rewrite history or not. we do not have igbo tribe in freetown.
I call myself mukina i do not know what you call yourself. and keep the getting personal out of this.

ogini egebchi anya ibo kwenu! j/k

Some Salone people I  know have "oku" names and know what Oku is, but they dont know what yoruba is cause the name "Yoruba" is foreign from our lanuage created by the British for specifically Nigerians who speak the language. So what we say in Nigeria say is 'yoruba' if we want to be an ethnic group but others in other countries call it

Salone -Oku
Ghana- they might say Tabom or Oyo, Ilorin
Cuba- they might say Lucumi
Benin republic they might say Ajase, Ketu
Brazil they might say Nago, Aguda, also  Ketu

There are different type of yorubas peeps tho- dummies in Nigeria think we are all the same

Just like a fulani person in Nigeria will say they are fulani but in other countries people will identify with fula, peul, fulbe, bororo, fulfide, wodaabe
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by mukina2: 5:45pm On Feb 14, 2011
who taught you 'salone'? grin
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by ezeagu(m): 11:02pm On Feb 14, 2011
mukina2:

Coming from someone who said Okoro is not Igbo. If you can't make out 10 "Igbo sounding" names, I can do it for you.
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by fstranger3(m): 11:05pm On Feb 14, 2011
ezeagu:

Coming from someone who said Okoro is not Igbo. If you can't make out 10 "Igbo sounding" names, I can do it for you.

She rejected your Igbo claiming arse, now you want to attack her

You these Ibo people sha

Must you claim people

Why cant you take a cue from us Yorubas?  Just like how one of you claimed the other day that Obama is Ibo. Who else is Ibo? The president of Benin? Hilary Clinton?
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by dayokanu(m): 11:14pm On Feb 14, 2011
Mukina2 is from Ogbomoso cool cool
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by PhysicsMHD(m): 11:19pm On Feb 14, 2011
The Okoro in Christopher Okoro Cole's name probably is because he had Igbo ancestry.

However, Okoro is not an exclusively Igbo name, just as Ojo is not an exclusively Yoruba name, though we often assume otherwise.

http://www.dawodu.net/okoro.htm
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by fstranger3(m): 11:22pm On Feb 14, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

The Okoro in Christopher Okoro Cole's name probably is because he had Igbo ancestry.

However, Okoro is not an exclusively Igbo name, just as Ojo is not an exclusively Yoruba name, though we often assume otherwise.

Another resounding blow to the already depressed claimappola spirit of the Igbos.

:::::SMH:::::
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by ezeagu(m): 11:30pm On Feb 14, 2011
fstranger3:

You these Ibo people sha

Must you claim people

Why cant you take a cue from us Yorubas?  Just like how one of you claimed the other day that Obama is Ibo. Who else is Ibo? The president of Benin? Hilary Clinton?

Michelle Obama is Igbo as well as Obama.

Anyway, one persons opinion does not change that of the thousands of Krio people who are prod of their Igbo ancestors.

"As recently as during the 1970s, some members of the Sierra Leone creole community continued to identify themselves as Igbo."

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:Gub-0RCs6UoJ:pcwww.liv.ac.uk/~dvdb/CH_3.pdf+Sierra+Leone+Igbo&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESgZijkUXh5Ojplvsb6YpiiFWEQwYUwuYbox4feQxjfMnaFSoPOlh_q0lkcpnNJ8iJ4PAP5YOh-GuGIPopflmbHYEhdR24ay3177Ldu7k_ukxg-tjrBdTlBWLIMKNpK7OIO8EpAZ&sig=AHIEtbR1wjGhBMlLwsYZZg7aF5vyKLahbA

Come and write nonsense again.
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by fstranger3(m): 11:42pm On Feb 14, 2011
ezeagu:

Michelle Obama is Igbo as well as Obama.
Anyway, one persons opinion does not change that of the thousands of Krio people who are prod of their Igbo ancestors.
"As recently as during the 1970s, some members of the Sierra Leone creole community continued to identify themselves as Igbo."
http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:Gub-0RCs6UoJ:pcwww.liv.ac.uk/~dvdb/CH_3.pdf+Sierra+Leone+Igbo&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESgZijkUXh5Ojplvsb6YpiiFWEQwYUwuYbox4feQxjfMnaFSoPOlh_q0lkcpnNJ8iJ4PAP5YOh-GuGIPopflmbHYEhdR24ay3177Ldu7k_ukxg-tjrBdTlBWLIMKNpK7OIO8EpAZ&sig=AHIEtbR1wjGhBMlLwsYZZg7aF5vyKLahbA
Come and write nonsense again.

Dont tell me you believe that article?

It seems you are bent on claiming other people as your own. The article has no historical backup and it is replete with falsehood.

If that helps you psychologically, I can understand. Now dont go crazy on me ok?

PS: It really sucks to be you. Like I said, Hilary Clinton, I once heard, has some Igbo origin
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by mukina2: 11:51pm On Feb 14, 2011
ezeagu:

Sweetie  save the snide comments for yourself,do not have time for snide attacks or personal  attacks, just keep everything within forum rules aight? wink go grab a glass of cold water, drink that and chill.

fstranger3:

You these Ibo people sha

Must you claim people

Let them claim na, i just know there is no igbo tribe in freetown grin

PhysicsMHD:

to them okoro is  exclusively for igbos  cheesy no other tribe has the right to that name.
Okoro is also a local name for okra in krio o grin it just occurred to me grin
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by fstranger3(m): 11:52pm On Feb 14, 2011
mukina2:

Sweetie  save the snide comments for yourself,do not have time for snide attacks or personal  attacks, just keep everything within forum rules aight? wink go grab a glass of cold water, drink that and chill.
to them okoro is  exclusively for igbos  cheesy no other tribe has the right to that name.

I agree. In my language too, Okoro means crazy mofo! grin
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by sbeezy8: 11:56pm On Feb 14, 2011
mukina2:

who taught you 'salone'? grin

"taught" how can someone teach a creole (like me) about the word "salone"?
its one of those things I pick up around fam, friends

you kno the same way I may say naija, hahahah I cant believe you asked my that question.
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by mukina2: 11:59pm On Feb 14, 2011
fstranger3:

I agree. In my language too, Okoro means crazy mofo! grin
oh yeah what language? grin you are evil grin

sbeezy8:

"taught" how can someone teach a creole (like me) about the word "salone"?
its one of those things I pick up around fam, friends

you kno the same way I may say naija, hahahah I cant believe you asked my that question.
i asked because most people say 'saro' not 'salone' smiley especially non Sierra Leoneans and i know you are not from freetown.
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by ChinenyeN(m): 12:01am On Feb 15, 2011
mukina2:

Krio            "ọkọrọ"
Igbo (Ngwa) "ọkwọrọ"

Name for "okro"/"okra" (a name originating from the Igbo words for it).

. . . just so you had an idea.
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by sbeezy8: 12:05am On Feb 15, 2011
mukina2:

oh yeah what language? grin you are evil grin
i asked because most people say 'saro' not 'salone' smiley especially non Sierra Leoneans and i know you are not from freetown.

yea im a Lagos boy/yankee guy but its most of the uncles and aunts who were born in freetown later moved to Naija.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Olomu: Where It’s Taboo For Pregnant Woman To Die / Ooni: Succession Tussle Toughens - Vanguard / The History Behind The Name Akwa Ibom:

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63