Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,141 members, 7,818,432 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:31 PM

Can You Afford To Be Apolitical?? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can You Afford To Be Apolitical?? (149 Views)

Be Apolitical And Ruthless With Ill-guided Political Thugs/ Actors- IGP / Joe Igbokwe Praises Buhari, Says Most Americans Can't Afford To Buy 50kg Rice / 2019: Prevail On Nigerian Security Agencies To Be Apolitical, PDP Begs EU Observ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can You Afford To Be Apolitical?? by EmmanuelAC: 4:09am On Aug 05, 2020
It doesn’t so much matter who you are or where are you from or what God you worship; the situation of Nigeria affects us all. Maybe you have a little cash in your pocket but I’ll give you a little advice. Don’t convert that money into dollar.
The county is on a constant flight to self-destruction. We’ve seen it before our very eyes.
You might pride our self as being apolitical. You focus on your dreams and turn blind eyes to the situation of Nigeria, but how able are you to achieve your dreams in this current economic situation? How willing are government policies able to help you take heed of your future?
Maybe the words of Plato could speak to us better “if you do not take an interest in the affairs of your government, then you are doomed to live under the rule of fools”
When I look at history, I’m always taken aback to maybe how Nigeria wasn’t founded on a strong rock but if the colonial masters divided and united us at will for their own self gain, our leaders have intensified this divisionism to loot our common wealth.
But must we allow this continuous exploitation? During election we are reminded how different we are. We are told not to vote for an Igbo man or a Yoruba man or an Hausa man, yet this same people will align themselves together and loot our treasure without prejudice to ethnicity or religion. When shall we learn from history? When shall we learn to align forces together and condemn corruption without been sentimental?
The youths have become the most apolitical in the age bracket. I don’t blame them that much. What good have they witnessed? What good have the government offered them? I read an article by Dr Alex Otti, the former group managing director of diamond bank and he claimed that in every minute, six Nigerians drop into poverty. If this is true, how scary. Which way Nigeria. Which way. We are the poverty capital of the world and yet I think we are not satisfied with that title. Our leaders so much want us to be the poverty capital of the universe. In as much that Nigeria leaders have given us reasons to be apolitical, we can’t afford to remain one. We can’t afford to remain ignorant of government activities.
The words of Bertolt Brecht, the German poet and activist, might speak louder and even clearer to us. He said and I quote “the worst illiterate is the political illiterate. He hears nothing, sees nothing, takes no part in political life. He does not seem to know that the cost of living, the price of beans, of flour, of rent, of medicine, all depends on political decisions. He even prides himself on his political ignorance, sticks out his chest and says he hates politics. He doesn’t know, the slowpoke, that from his political non-participation comes the prostitute, the abandoned child, the robber and worst of all, corrupt officials, the lackeys of exploitative multinational corporation” unquote.
It will not be wrong to assume that Nigeria leaders want us to be apolitical, because the only way we can collectively ask and seek that which is rightfully ours is by being politically aware. This burden falls on us all and more especially the youths.
My name is Emmanuel AC and I’m a member of we the youths. WE THE YOUTHS is a non-partisan organization that advocates for political literacy, political awareness and active political participation among youths. Her aim also included trying to blur tribal lines and the skepticism it drags along while replacing it with a nationalistic consciousness. We also advocate for free and credible election while making sure that the life of youths are not endangered during elections or used to perpetuate electoral malpractices. You too can become a member. Together we can build a nation we can proudly call our own.
join WE THE YOUTHS TODAY https:///WeTheYouths

Re: Can You Afford To Be Apolitical?? by Goldp5988(f): 4:14am On Aug 05, 2020
Together we can build a nation we can proudly call our own.
join WE THE YOUTHS TODAY
Re: Can You Afford To Be Apolitical?? by haiti007(m): 4:28am On Aug 05, 2020
Well said
Re: Can You Afford To Be Apolitical?? by Parada: 5:17am On Aug 05, 2020
Once people in Abia Enugu Ebonyi become apolitical then we are good to go but till then foolish people should stop wailing simply because they prefer PDP back in power. I support APC but I know it as failed woefully but no be grandmaster of failure PDP be my option abeg.
Re: Can You Afford To Be Apolitical?? by helinues: 5:18am On Aug 05, 2020
Nigeria main politics?

God forbid bad things.... Apana

(1) (Reply)

NDDC Probe: Pondei, Others Spent N5bn As Medical Allowances - Senate / Edomustmoveforward!!! / Sale Of Assets: Reps To Report Nnpc, Cbn, Npa To Buhari Over Snub

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.