Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,094 members, 7,811,065 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:06 PM

7 DAYS (the Past Came Haunting) S01 - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 7 DAYS (the Past Came Haunting) S01 (1325 Views)

The Haunting Beauty Of Godspower Oshodin’s Poetry Collection / KINGS 3(7 Days Of Chaos) / Ghost Of The Past (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 DAYS (the Past Came Haunting) S01 by 1Valcee1(m): 7:19pm On Aug 05, 2020
7 DAYS (The Past Came Haunting)

Story Written and Published by:
Valentine C. Azuka.
Valcee [Honest Pen]

Instagram: Chronicles_of_valcee

All rights reserved Valentine C. Azuka 2020
+++

PROLOGUE
++++++++++++++++++

"Forgive me father for I have sinned ... it's been over ten years since my last confession. Father I have done so many terrible things, I am not even sure I can remember all of them" I said with tears in my eyes.

"Take your time Son, Jesus loves you" The priest encouraged me.
I closed my eyes as the events of my life in previous years came flashing.
++++++++++

My name is Valentine, but most people call me Val. I'm the only son of a single mother. I was told by my mom that my dad passed away when I was five in a ghastly motor accident. I was in the same car with him.

She was quite young when my dad died, but instead of remarrying she chose to take over my dad's business and take care of me too. She showered me with love and made sure I got whatever it was I needed with hope that I'ld one day make her proud, by being a successful and responsible man. I was determined to make her proud.

+++++

SEASON 01

I struggle not for the Lilly in the water
Just so, I don't get drown for it.
- Ikise Atabang

EPISODE 01
++++++++++++++++++++

UNEC, Enugu.
Monday.
10:15am

Val
++++++++++++++++++++

It took me two years after high school, to gain admission to study Environmental Engineering at the prestigious University of Nigeria. That was not my dream course but I had no option. My mum had almost given up. It was no surprise that she insisted I accepted the option. She hated seeing me at home, idle and frustrated.
+++++

"Please let's settle down, the lecturer would be joining us shortly. Do remember the meeting scheduled immediately after this lecture..."

Chinagorom, The Assistant Class Representative was saying. I remembered my first encounter with her during my clearance. I had wanted to borrow her biro because mine suddenly stopped working. She had two biros with her but wouldn't give me one. She said I should have known I was supposed to come with one. I wanted to tell her that I came with mine and that it had just stopped working but decided against it.

I had no idea she was my Assistant Class Rep. Since then we had come across each other many times; in the canteen, lecture halls but had never spoken to each other. So, I decided to talk to her that day. As it's not in my nature to keep grudges. I prefer having friends to keeping enemies.
+++++

After the class meeting, I approached her and said, "hi" She responded quite well. She even knew my name and I was surprised. When I asked how she knew my name she only laughed and asked me if I had forgotten she was the Assistant Class Rep.

I seized the opportunity to tell her how I felt towards her, which was merely in response to the manner she treated me the other day. I told her I thought she was rude.

However, it so happened that I was wrong, and I apologised to her. She apologized too stating that it was because she had lost so many a pen during clearance to people who would always borrow her biro and disappear without returning it.

She excused her self saying she needed to meet our Course Advisor so that he could effect changes necessitated by some clashes on our timetable. We exchanged contact and she left.

One of my classmate approached me.

"Guy that babe like you oo". He said with every seriousness.
"Why do you say so?" I asked surprised.
"Because I know", He wiped his face with his handkerchief.

"And how did you know that?" I asked suddenly picking interest in the discussion.
"I know when a girl likes someone, what with the way she looks at you. Guy, I have caught her many times starring at you". He said smiling.

"Ah! Are you a monitoring spirit? Are you trailing me or what?" I asked laughing.

"No bro, actually I'm trailing her. I like her",
"Oh, I see. Talk to her then. Trust me, she's nice". I advised him.
"Nope. Her eyes are on someone else", With that he left.

I thought about what he told me,

"Could it be possible that the girl liked me?"

Yes she is very beautiful and thick, very sexy too. I have made eye contacts with her so many times but I didn't get the feeling that she was interested in me. Of course people do look at each other and she wasn't the only one I have had eye contacts with. So I didn't take it serious. Moreover, there was this particular guy in my class she was always seen with. Surely, that someone else couldn't be me.

My phone chimed. I checked and it was Cynthy my babe. I had been friends with Cynthy for 2 years and we were very close. We met online on a social media platform, 2go, and from there we exchanged contacts. Since then it's been as if we're dating.

I had asked her out severally over the phone but she had said we needed to meet before she accepts. It also happened that she got admission before I did and thus was a year ahead of me. I was very happy to have gained admission in the same University as she was, though it wasn't to study my dream course.

We were supposed to meet that day after our lectures for the first time and I believed that was why she called. I picked the call and she told me where to meet her.
+++++

To be continued ...

Next Episode drops tomorrow

Pls follow, comment and like

Go get yourself some pop corn, Put on your seat belt 'cause it's going to be a long ride.

Edited by:
Anastasia C. Nwoye.
Ekwe Christian.

Re: 7 DAYS (the Past Came Haunting) S01 by 1Valcee1(m): 3:56pm On Aug 06, 2020

S01E01 (ii)

+++++++++++++++++++

Few hours later, I was going to my lodge after my meeting with Cynthy. It was wonderful to have finally met her. She was very happy to see me and so was I. She looked as beautiful and fair as she was on the pictures she had sent me and she was very funny too. I had a good time with her.

I asked her out on a date and she accepted. We would be going out soon. I was lost in these thoughts when two guys blocked my path.

We stared at each other for some seconds before I finally spoke. "How may I help you guys?" They laughed.

"Mr helper..." one of them said and they continued laughing. I turned to leave, but one of them held my shirt and dragged me back. I was infuriated.

"What's the meaning of this?" I asked trying to disentangle my shirt from his grip.
"Sorry fine boy, na message we wan deliver", I looked at them wondering what kind of message it was they had for me.

"Message? Do you even know me?" I asked, confusion written all over my face.

He ignored my question. "Well our message is simple. Val, Our boss here says make you clear way for him via Cynthia. Cynthia na him chikito". He said pointing at the other guy.

I wondered how they got to know my name. I had not seen any of them before and here they were telling me to leave Cynthia for a certain boss. What nonsense!

"I don't understand anything you guys just said and I don't know any Cynthia you guys are talking about neither am I in the way of your so-called boss". I said with a serious look.

The so-called boss brought out his phone, scrolled through it and showed me Cynthy's picture. I swallowed hard.

"Stay away from her!" They left. I heard one of them say to the guy that seemed to be the boss.

"Ijabu, we suppose show him metal nau..." I memorized the name. I didn't need any body to explain that statement for me. They had gun!, I was terrified. Did I just encountered cultists? I have heard so many terrible stories about victims of cultists. I felt goosebumps all over, but I wasn't ready to leave Cynthy for a certain Ijabu, the so-called boss.

When I got home I gave Cynthy a call and asked her if she had any boyfriend to which she replied no and enquired to know why I asked, I wanted to tell her about my encounter with some strange dudes but decided against it.

I told her I only wanted to know. I was still on the phone with Cynthy when Paul, my roommate entered looking sad so I ended the call.

"Paulo what's up nau? This one your face is like this", I asked him stroking my tiny beards.

"Nnaa guy, it's nothing my department just dey frustrate person anyhow". He said yawning.

He went to the kitchen to prepare some noodles.

"Guy our noodles don finish oo, we need to buy another one tomorrow you know I can't do without them".
He shouted from the kitchen.

"No problem, maybe tomorrow".

"Remember say you dey owe me ba?" He told me for the third time that day.

I don't really like owing people but the ATM in school had refused to dispense cash. But I must make sure I withdraw tomorrow even if it meant going outside school to do so.

My lodge was quite within the school premises and I had always made my withdrawals from the ATMs in school without any hitch. Today proved to be an exception.

To be continued....

Written by:
Valentine C. Azuka

Pls follow, comment and share.
Re: 7 DAYS (the Past Came Haunting) S01 by 1Valcee1(m): 4:42pm On Aug 06, 2020

EPISODE 02
++++++++++

Tuesday.
6:20 AM

Val
++++++++++++++++++++

... On arriving at the ATM stand, I met a middle aged man who I guessed would be in his late 60s dashing off.

He couldn’t even give a perfunctory reply to my greetings. I wondered what kind of business he was into, or, was it an emergency, maybe, a case of a close relative in the hospital? Well who knows?

I proceeded to insert my card only to discover that there was a card inside. My eyes caught what was written on the ATM screen,

"Do you wish to perform another transaction?"

It was then reality hit me; The man had forgotten his ATM card in the machine and the bank was yet to open, I recalled hearing the man zoom off in his SUV after slamming the door of his car shut.

I didn't know what prompted me press "YES" button. It gave the usual response,

"please insert your pin". So many number combinations crossed my mind and I pressed 'four zeros'.

"Incorrect pin". I thought for few seconds, removed the card, checked the 16 digits at the back of the card and decided to use the last four digits.

Just like magic it worked! My heart skipped as I stared at the options glaring at me. I clicked the "Check balance" button and was marveled at what I saw. The man's bank account was housing exactly 5 million Naira. I was trembling and sweating at the same time. Different thoughts acrossed my mind.

"Val, you don blow. Withdraw some cash and go",
"Go with the card",
"No, just withdraw and leave the card there". And of course the other calm voice;
"Val, don't withdraw from the account, it's not yours".

I yielded to the first and made withdrawal of 50k. I was all smiles as I heard the shuffling sound of the ATM counting the cash. Then the money came out. I was about collecting it when I felt a heavy knock on my head.

"Is this real?" I thought, I felt another one and turned. Lo and behold it was the angry and ugly face of my roommate, Paul.

"Guy you dey mad o, why you dey smile for sleep? You dey toast girl bah?, Or girl dey toast you? Abeg get up, remember you talk say you wan go bank early. Guy go withdraw and give me that my money, I no get shi shi again. Buy 1 carton of noodles too".

"So it was only a dream?" I hissed and got down from my bed.

Few minutes later, I was already my way out to withdraw, the dream still playing on my mind.
+++++

Getting to the ATM booth, I saw a beautiful fair slim girl leaving in a hurry. She was the perfect description of my kind of woman. She wore a red Man Utd jersey on top of a  tight blue jeans, with a pair of matching sneakers. Oh! My love for fair girls.

"Hi, hope the ATM is paying?" She ignored me. Her perfume filled my nostrils as I turned to take a survey of her backside which wasn't too big but well shaped and curved. What a wonderful creature!

I was about inserting my card when I noticed a card was still inside. I guessed it belonged to the girl that just left. Momentarily,  I remembered my dream. Was this a dream come true?

The bank was yet to open too. By my time band, it was 7:16am. I removed the card, inserted mine and made a withdrawal. I decided to wait hoping that the girl would come back or at least that any of the security guards working at the bank would resume so I could hand the card over.

After waiting for about fifteen minutes, a Lexus Jeep halted in front of me and the girl alighted with someone who stood leaning against the car. He wore dark shades and I couldn't see his eyes but I was sure he was looking at me. The girl approached me.

"Hi, you're still here. Thank God", she murmured.
"Hello", I responded. I wasn't comfortable with the guy on dark shades.

"Please I forgot my ATM card and I'm certain you must have found it". She said with every certainty.

"Yeah and I didn't know what to do with it, so I decided to wait a bit", I said bringing out the ATM card from my wallet.

"You were hoping I would come back for it so you could use the opportunity to talk to me right?"
'I like this girl' I said in mind and laughed.

"Well, thanks". She said smiling. She looked at me in a way that seemed she was expecting me to say something.
"Well Amaka, you got me and here we are talking". I replied her.

"This should be enough. Hand over the card, I have to leave now". She said extending her palm which was very tender and smooth.
"Not too fast baby". I held her palm.

The guy in dark shades made to approach us but she signaled him off. My morale which was at an all time low, increased. "Who is he?" I enquired.

"My driver and body guard, so you better respect your self and give me the Card now". She said smiling.

"Or what will happen, Amaka?"
"What's your name? I know you got my name off my ATM card", She asked ignoring my question.
"Valentine but you can call me your Val"

"You're crazy. See Val I know you want to talk to me but it's still early in the morning and there is some place I have to go. Don't you have anything doing this morning?”  She asked with a serious look.

"Well there's nothing more serious than talking to you right now". I said in a flirty way, licking my lips.

"Na Dem!" She said smiling.
"So you speak pidgin? I asked her surprised.
"O si gini? Before nko? Do I look like a foreigner?"

"I didn't know beautiful girls like you do speak pidgin. Here, you can have your card".

I handed her the card and we bade good bye, but that was not without exchanging contacts.

To be continued...

Written by:
Valentine C. Azuka

Pls follow comment and share.
Re: 7 DAYS (the Past Came Haunting) S01 by 1Valcee1(m): 7:55pm On Aug 07, 2020
7 Days (The Past Came Haunting) S01E03

EPISODE 03
++++++++++

Wednesday.
6:35 AM

Val
++++++++++++++++++++

I hissed, threw my phone on the bed and started doing some press-ups.

"Fool, why are you hissing this morning? You're not happy you woke up?"

"Idiot, I have said my prayers and I'm sure you didn't". I fired back.

"So why you dey hiss?" I stopped and sat on the floor.

"Its nothing serious. Amaka is yet to reply my chats, her number isn't available either. In fact it is switched off. Why would her number be switched off since yesterday morning?"

Paul laughed, "So for your mind, that girl gave you her number? From what you told me, that girl was riding in a Lexus with her bodyguard. She obviously gave you a wrong number".
He continued laughing.

"Fool! I dialed it in her presence and it rang". I defended myself. I removed my socks and singlet and entered the bathroom.

"She gave you the number she wasn't making use of and she must have broken the SIM card by now".

"This guy is something else", I thought to myself, "You seem to be talking from experience". I retorted.
I got ready and left for my lectures.

++++++++++

4:15 PM

"I would be taking a girl out today for the first time in my life and it's not just any girl, it's Cynthy my first love"

I said to myself as I removed my socks. I was fond of wearing socks even while staying at home.

I remembered many occasions people ridiculed me for that. Most thought I did it for the swag but the reason I wear socks is that my feet sweat a lot.

It was a busy day for me, I had three lectures of two hours each from 8am to 2pm unlike yesterday I had only one.

My ringing phone brought me back to the present. It was my closest friend-Ebo! His name is actually Ebolue Chibuike but I prefer calling him Ebo. Ebo and I had been friends since secondary school. He got admission before me too so he was a class ahead. Ebo knows almost everything about me.

"Ebo! Kee way?" I shouted immediately I picked the call.
"Valcino!, I am cool..." He told me he was close to my lodge.

+++++

[Few minutes later]

"Guy, how far you and Cynthy nah? Any gist! How did your meeting with her yesterday go?" Ebo rattled off immediately he entered my room.

"Guy calm down, you too like gist," I replied him. "I didn't tell her yesterday, but I will tell her today at Shoprite. We are going..."

I was interrupted by my friend's steady gaze at the door, I turned to see three strange guys smiling devilishly at us.

"Who are you? Wha...wha..t do you want?" I stammered, trying to be courageous.
"You don't ask us questions, we ask you". One of the three guys replied.

"Now who is Val between you two?" He continued. I exchanged glances with my friend Chibuike but said nothing, same with him.
"You think we are here for jokes right?" He asked again, still no response.

Our interviewer who seemed to be the leader of the gang snapped his fingers and the two guys beside him brought out pistols and pointed at us simultaneously. I froze, that was my first time of being at a gun point. I lost it and raised my hands immediately.

"I.. I.. am the one, I am Val". I said at once. I was expecting the worse when I heard my friend say "Buike don't do this, I am the one they are looking for".

"My name is Azuka Valentine. What do you want?" he asked the guys. I was confused. What in the world was he doing?

"Ebo what are you doing? Do you want to get us both killed?" I asked my friend with pleading eyes.
I saw the confused look on our visitors' faces.
+++

The Cultists' Leader
+++++

We came closer and discussed in low tones with our eyes and guns still on the two friends. We were instructed not to harm anybody apart from Val we were looking for.

But unfortunately the two friends were claiming to be Val. I was really provoked so I dialed our boss' number. I mentioned the confusion to him and was told that the Val we were looking for was fair and always on socks. I smiled, ended the call and asked the both of them to stand up.

They were both fair but only one of them was putting on socks. I smiled as I set my eyes on our target.
+++

Val
+++++

I watched the gang leader place a call and enquire into how they could identify Val I guess. I couldn't decipher what it was they talked about but the familiar words I heard him say was 'boss' and 'socks'.

I suspected the guy Ijabu I met yesterday, the one that called himself, 'Boss' was responsible for this. But none of the three faces could I recognize as the guys with Ijabu yesterday. He sent different guys. The guy must be smart, I thought.

I was wearing the T-shirt and jeans I wore to lectures earlier and had no socks on as I was about removing my clothes to have a shower when my friend arrived. But my friend Chibuike was putting on a trouser and singlet. (He had removed his shirt the moment he entered my room) and socks too which he didn't pull out when he removed his shoes outside.

The leader of the three approached me and said "You be better friend o", and gave me a hot slap. Hot tears ran down my cheek as the reality hit me.

They thought my friend Chibuike was the Val they were looking for. And I watched as they pounced on him and gave him the worst beating I had ever seen and would ever see.
+++

Ebo
+++++

When I claimed to be Val, I was surprised. I didn't know why I did so. Perhaps it was time to show Val that I could be loyal, strong and trusted.

And so I received each punch, slap and kick and prayed it was the last. All they kept saying to me was "No go near Cynthia again, she is taken..."

"What's going on? Could Val be hiding something from me?" I kept thinking.

When I could take it no longer I let the darkness engulf me.

It was a new feeling that took over me. There were, no pains, no fears, no worries...

To be continued...

Written by:
Valentine C. Azuka
Valcee [Honest Pen]

Next episode coming up tomorrow

Re: 7 DAYS (the Past Came Haunting) S01 by Tonyspecial(m): 9:10pm On Aug 07, 2020
Wow! Nice Update
Re: 7 DAYS (the Past Came Haunting) S01 by 1Valcee1(m): 8:10pm On Aug 08, 2020
7 Days (The Past Came Haunting) S01

EPISODE 04
+++++++++++++++

Thursday
9:48pm

Val
++++++++++++++++++++

I walked slowly in the dark, lonely and scary night, my heart beating fast. It was so quiet that I could hear my own heartbeat. The only thing on my mind was to arrive at my lodge safely and lock my self inside. Maybe it was time to let go. If only Cynthy would understand. I recalled the event that took place in my lodge yesterday evening.
+++++

They held me at gunpoint and beat Ebo till he fainted. I was very terrified, I called for help and he was taken to the hospital. I called Cynthy and told her what had happened. She requested to know the hospital Ebo was admitted in and I told her. She came in later that night and we stayed in the hospital till dawn.

By morning Ebo had regained his consciousness. He appreciated Cynthy for coming and begged her to leave so she wouldn't miss her lectures because of him. Cynthy insisted on staying. At my end, Ebo was cursing me and telling me how he would kick my ass as soon as he got back on his feet.

Cynthy was yet to believe our story. It was nightfall when Cynthy decided to go home and Ebo said I should go with her too since he was getting better.

On our way to Cynthy's lodge, I saw Ijabu, I wanted to point him out to Cynthy seeing as she disbelieved our story but could find him no longer.   He seemed to have disappeared. I was confused and scared.

I left Cynthy's lodge looking over my shoulders. I had this premonition that I was been followed.
+++++

I heard some footsteps behind me and hastened my steps. The person or whatsoever that was walking stealthily behind me did the same. I ran, but with every sprint, the footsteps intensified.

I stopped, turned to face my nightmare but could see no one. Maybe, I was imagining things because it was pitch black and there was not a soul to be seen. I switched on my phone torchlight to make sure I was alone, and behold I was, I heaved a sigh of relief. It seemed my mind was playing pranks on me.

I turned to continue my walk but bumped into a huge frame, causing my phone to fall off my hand. My mouth felt dry when I saw the shiny metal in his grip. He was holding a dagger. He brought it close to my neck and I felt its coldness. That instant, I felt warmth wetness run down my lap to my leg and into my shoe. I heard a familiar voice behind me.

"Val you dey form James Bond abii?" He picked up my phone and switched it off. I was gagged, blind folded and taken away.
+++++

When they removed the blindfold, I found myself in an unknown uncompleted building. Everywhere was calm except for the song that was been chanted few centimeters away from where I was tied up to a rough pillar. It was dark in the building but outside the building, there was illumination at exactly the same spot I gathered the noise was coming from.

I saw another figure in the room, couldn't see his face but I presumed he was there to watch me. I asked him what was happening over there and he told me that night was a very special night in their Confraternity.

It was a night of initiation for new members and it only happens once in a year, he went on. Then he asked me if I wasn't aware of that and I told him I didn't know anything about the Confraternity.

It was then he told me something that really scared the shit out of me. He told me that the only thing that brings a non-member to their place of meeting is initiation. He told me I would be initiated that night. Initiation starts at midnight!

We remained in the dark room close to an hour not talking to each other. The place was quiet except for the chirping of insects and the faint chants heard centimeters away.

"What's your name?" I asked trying to get him talking again. The tension was becoming unbearable.

"We don't divulge personal information to non-members of this cult till after initiation. But anyway, you will be initiated soon". I felt goosebumps.

"My name is Chuka",  He said. "What about you, new member?"
"I'm Val. Why did you join a Cult?" I asked not really expecting an answer. The rough pillar was really hurting me.

He was about to say something when two other guys putting on face masks approached us.

To be continued...

Written by:
Valentine C. Azuka
Valcee [Honest Pen]

Re: 7 DAYS (the Past Came Haunting) S01 by 1Valcee1(m): 9:06pm On Aug 08, 2020

EPISODE 05
++++++++++

Friday
12:29 AM

Mum
++++++++++

I woke up, checked the time and it was half past midnight. I was having some strange feelings. I tried Val's number once again but it was switched off.

I had not spoken to my son for the past three days and it was unlike him not to call. The worst was that his phone was switched off. I had been trying to reach him since last night but to no avail. I was really worried, so I picked up my Rosary and the Bible ...
++++++++++

12:42 AM

Val
++++++++++++++++++++

"It's time. Untie him!" One of them said. I felt relieved that at least, I was getting off from the rough pillar. I was led to the place where the light was coming from. I was met by a small crowd of about 30-40 guys all on masks and sitting round a huge bonfire. They all wore black robes except one whom I presumed to be their leader.

They pushed me down to my knees in front of him and I managed to get a glimpse of his face. He was on red robe, plumpy, and had very thick beards peeking out from the mask.

"This was definitely not Ijabu". I said to myself. I thought Ijabu was their capon. My heart leapt.

He stood up. "Azuka Valentine Chizoba, 20 years old, only child, brought up by a single mother.From Anambra State and in the department of Environmental Engineering. You are welcome". There was a light round of applause.

"This guy really knows a lot about me". I thought. He continued.

"Val, do you want to join us and be part of us? There are so many benefits in being a member of this Confraternity".

"N...no sir", I said trembling. That instant I vowed not to go near Cynthia again.

"Then why have you chosen to be stubborn? Why have you decided to drag my second-in-command's girl with him?" There was murmuring amongst the members.

"I'm sorry. I didn't know they were together".

"I'm giving you two options. I'm owing my second-in-command a favor and that's why I'm giving you these two options. If not, it has always been one option". I felt dizzy and I thought I was going to collapse any moment.

"One, you either join our confraternity", He moved closer. "Or two, you end anything it is you have for Cynthia". Hearing the second option, I felt as if a heavy burden was taken off my chest.

"I'll take the second option. I'll end everything with Cynthia. There is nothing serious going on between us. We are just friends, though I had plans of asking her out before this whole incident. But I have ended the friendship. I don't even know her again". I said with all seriousness. I never imagined there would be a time when denying Cynthia would be my saving grace and give me such peace of mind and freedom.

"Just know we are watching your every move". He gave some guys instructions to take me away and give me some kola.

They took me back into the uncompleted building and I wondered what kind of kola would be given me. They tied me to the pillar, with my face to it and my mouth gagged, while they lashed me mercilessly. I counted 28 before I lost count.
+++

Around 5 AM in the morning they took me back to the exact spot I was kidnapped last night and handed me my phone. I staggered home, my spirit already broken, and narrated my ordeal to Paul as he treated my back with hot water. He wouldn't stop laughing at me and reminding me of how he had always told me that girls would be the cause of my death one day if I wasn't careful.

I was sleeping in the evening, when my ringing phone woke me. It was my mum, she wanted to know how I was feeling and I replied that everything was fine. She told me I had her worried as she had been trying to reach me since yesterday. I apologised and assured her everything was fine. To ease her worries, I lied that my phone was flat due to power failure.

After the call I freshened up and went to the hospital where I met Cynthia and Ebo talking and laughing. I was very happy to see my very good friend in such a jocund state. Thank God he was getting better. However, seeing Cynthia there made me uncomfortable. It reminded me of my encounter with the cultists last night.

Cynthia saw me standing by the door and came to give me a hug but I waved her off.

"What's the matter with you Val? And where have you been? Don't tell me you're avoiding me because of that shit you and Ebo told me yesterday because I won't take that". She said going back to sit on the bed.

"Val this girl is still doubting our story oo. Can you imagine?" I sat on the only chair in the room.

"Why should I believe you guys? So I'm now having imaginary boyfriends eh?" She looked at me. "Val what's wrong with you? You look so dull today".

"Something terrible happened, I don't even know how to narrate it". I shook my head.

"Val what is it?" Ebo asked. I removed my shirt and showed them my back.
They were all shocked and they felt sorry for me.

"What happened?" Cynthia asked, tracing some of the marks on my back.

I narrated my experience to them without missing any single detail.

"Cynthy!" Ebo called her but she didn't answer.
"This is serious. Check your self very well. Is there any guy who has been asking you out or rather who asked you out that could go to this extent just to have you?" Ebo asked rapping off so many questions like a detective.

"Honestly I have been thinking about this since yesterday. Yes, I have had so many boys ask me out before but I can't tell if any of them could go any length to have me".

"In that case all of them are suspects. Val the guy that approached you on Monday evening, the one that called himself 'boss' could you describe him to Cynthy?"

"What are these two doing?" I asked myself in my mind.

"See, whatever investigation you guys are about to conduct I will not be a part of it". I chipped in at once.
"Why?" Cynthia asked turning to face me.

"I can't recognize him. I told you guys they wore masks", I lied.
"I don't believe you. You told me you saw him while escorting me to my lodge the other day". Cynthy said.

"That was a mistake, it was someone else". I said adamantly.

"I still don't believe you. You're just scared, scared of being flogged or what? You can't even fight for what you love", she stood up from the bed.

"Honestly Cynthia I'm very sorry to disappoint you, but try to understand that there's nothing I can do about this. You're a very beautiful girl and many guys would kill to have you as their girlfriend. You're going to find another love soon. Trust me".

"Look at this one, who's talking about love and boyfriend here? Those guys need to be punished for what they did. It's not about dating you. Who's going to date a weakling like you? Coward!" She stormed out of the hospital. I saw her eyes mist and I was hurt.

"Weakling! Coward!" Those were the last words I heard from Cynthia.

Maybe she was right but I was only trying to protect myself and my friends too. These guys are many, even if we managed to get boss and report him to School authority. What about other unknown members? We can't defeat them.

"But Val, she's really upset and disappointed with you. I haven't seen her this angry before". Ebo said.

"What would you have me do guy? I don't want to have anything to do with those guys again in my entire life".

"Me neither. Let her go, that's the right thing to do. Come closer let me see that your back again". He said smiling.

"What are you up to this fool?" I asked suspecting something fishy.

"Nothing". He pretended to lightly trace and caress the bruise on my back, only to apply pressure that split-second.

"Aahgh!" I shouted in pain cursing him.
He wore a wicked smile on his face.

"Maybe I'm not gonna kick your ass again when they discharge me tomorrow".

To be continued...

Written by:
Valentine C. Azuka

Next Episode drops tomorrow

Re: 7 DAYS (the Past Came Haunting) S01 by 1Valcee1(m): 6:49pm On Aug 09, 2020
7 Days (The Past Came Haunting) S01E06

EPISODE 06

Saturday.
12:06 PM

Amaka
++++++++++++++++++++

I was in the car coming back from my JAMB lessons when I remembered Val, the guy I met on Tuesday morning at the ATM booth. I remembered he had said hi and I had ignored him. I was in a hurry to get to my lesson venue on time that day as it was my first day and I didn't want to create a bad impression of myself.

I never liked it when people thought my dad's status was getting to my head. So when I discovered I had forgotten my ATM card, I went back hoping to meet him again. Luckily for me I did meet him, he had kept the card with him and waited for me.

We talked for a while and it was fun. I almost forgot I was in a rush. He had this kind of aura about him and I felt comfortable talking to him. I liked the way he called me, just exactly like my dad. He wasn't the cutest guy I had ever met, certainly not the hottest, but there was something special about him. I liked him.

"Chiamaka, why are you smiling?" Sam my driver asked peering at me from the rear-view mirror.

"It's nothing, just remembered a joke". I lied.
"Do you mind telling me?" He asked. I couldn't see his face but I was sure he wore a smile on his face.

"No, you wouldn't find it funny".

I went back to my thoughts. I had exchanged contacts with Val and he had promised to call me after his lectures. I had asked about his school, department and level and he had told me. I was very excited; he was a student in the school I was also aspiring to enter. I told him as much, that it was my dream school and that I was going for my JAMB lessons that morning. He had told me to study hard so that I could join him in the den.

I came home that afternoon after my lessons and had wanted to give him a call. There were so many things I wanted to ask him about his school but had a change of mind. He was probably in class, since he had said he would call after his lectures. At that moment, my dad called me. He took the phone from me, switched it off in my presence and said he would be keeping it till I was done with my JAMB exams. He said he didn't want anything to distract me.

Recalling the incident, I laughed remembering that I had almost cried. My phone was my only friend. It was the only thing that kept me busy. My dad didn't let me make friends especially guys, he didn't allow people visit me nor was I allowed to pay anyone a visit. That's was the major reason he employed Sam. To make sure I didn't disobey those rules.

How could dad do this to me? I queried. How could he seize my phone when I needed it the most. I just made a new friend and we had a lot of things to discuss. These thoughts occupied my mind until an idea occured to me.

'Sam must have told my dad I had exchanged contacts with a guy'. Yes!

That must have been what happened. I had my phone when I sat for WAEC and my dad didn't seize it.

"Uncle Sam?" I called. "There's something I want to ask you",
"Ok?" He said.

"My dad seized my phone since four days ago". I waited and watched his reaction. He didn't say anything but glanced at me from the rear-view mirror. I continued. "Do you happen to know why?"

"He surely has a reason my dear. Your dad loves you and all he wants is for you to be a responsible woman in the future".

"I know all these but he doesn't have to seize my phone. I'm no longer a kid".
"You told him right?" He went mute. "C'mon you promised to be honest with me."
"Look, I was only doing my job". He defended himself.

I knew then I had been right all along. So my dad didn't seize my phone because of my upcoming exam. He actually seized it so whoever would be unable to reach me and probably lose interest finally. Oh how worried Val must have been trying to reach me! I tried to imagine what could be going on his mind or how he would feel. Enough was enough! I was going to talk to my dad when I got home.
+++++

My dad was a retired Major with the Nigerian Army and in his early 50s. He was also a politician, a former Speaker in the Delta State House of Assembly and a business man. He owns several filling stations and estates in the major cities of Port Harcourt, Asaba, Lagos and Owerri.

According to what he had told me, my mum had died after giving birth to a set of twins. A boy and a girl. My brother had followed suit few months later. Since then my father had been the one taking care of me. He loved me so much, there was no doubt about that, and he made sure I lacked nothing. I loved him too. The only problem I had with him was his strictness and over protectiveness. I was 17 for chrissake. He had ruined many vows of friendship for me in the past but sitting in the car that afternoon, I vowed not to let it happen again.

I got home and after several minutes of explaining, begging and arguing with my dad, he gave me the phone. He explained away his actions as being for my protection. I assured and promised him that I would be very careful.

"Amaka" my dad called. I answered, My eyes fixed on my phone as I waited for it to boot up.

"The boy you met, you said he's in UNN?"
"Yes Dad" I responded absentmindedly.
"What course is he studying?"
"I don't know yet dad. I didn't ask him."

I tapped my data button and my phone began to vibrate, with dozens of notifications. I had tons of messages to reply. I quickly opened my WhatsApp and saw I had chats from Val. I smiled, excused myself and went straight to my room, Val wasn't online so I gave him a call. He didn't pick at the first ring. I called again and he picked up. His end of the conversation was scratchy. He was watching a football match and promised to return the call later. I was a tad sad. It seemed the match was more important to him than taking my call. Alas, I fell asleep.

Val
++++++++++++++++++++

Few Hours Earlier

I was watching Man Utd playing home and losing to Burnley when my phone rang, I ignored it. It rang for the second time and I wanted to terminate the call when I caught sight of the caller ID. It was Amaka, the girl I had been trying to reach through to four days now. I picked up but I wasn't in the mood for calls at the moment and the place was quite noisy so I told her I'd call back later.
+++++

"Amaka disappoint me...." I sang for her immediately she picked up.
"You eerh" She laughed and I laughed too.
"Honestly I'm very sorry for what happened. I have not been with my phone that was why I couldn't call or reply your messages earlier. I just got my phone today". She apologized.

"Well it's nothing, it's actually nice to hear your voice again".
"Thank you. I got my phone back and you were the first person I called". She said
"Wow my head is swelling oo. But what happened to your phon?e" I asked and she narrated everything to me.

She told me almost everything about her and I felt sorry for her. It was as if we had known each other for a long time. I got to know her father was a retired Major in the Nigerian Army and somehow I was scared. I had heard stories of how soldiers dealt with people who tried to mess up with them. I told her about myself too.

We spoke for over 30 minutes before my airtime got exhausted. Cynthy was the only girl I had talked at length to on the phone. She called back and we spoke for some time before we decided to switch to WhatsApp.

It was fun chatting with her, She was chatty. Our chats consisted of emojis, stickers and voice notes. We chatted throughout the night, something I had not done in years. I fell asleep a happy man.

To be continued....

Written by:
Valentine C. Azuka
Valcee [Honest Pen]

Re: 7 DAYS (the Past Came Haunting) S01 by Tonyspecial(m): 7:52pm On Aug 09, 2020
Big ups Dude

1 Like

Re: 7 DAYS (the Past Came Haunting) S01 by 1Valcee1(m): 8:19pm On Aug 13, 2020
7 DAYS (The Past Came Haunting) S01

EPISODE 07 (I)

Sunday
7:47 AM

Val
++++++++++++++++++++

"...the Mass is for everyone but the Holy Communion is only for Catholics ...."

The croaked voice of our Cathechist boomed through the microphone. He was quite old and one wondered why he was yet to retire. He loved his job so much. This much was obvious in the manner he rendered his service to God and the congregation at large with such happiness and pride. Story had it that he wanted to be a Reverend father but couldn't make it.

I recited the prayers said before receiving Holy Communion and joined the queue as we walked up to the altar like saints. Yeah I might not be a very good boy but that doesn't mean I joke with God either.

I knelt and patiently waited for the priest to feed me the body of Christ.

"The body of Christ..." the priest said dipping his fingers in the chalice, I raised my eyes and was about to reply, ''Amen'' when I caught sight of the altar servant holding the Communion plate beside the priest.

I was shocked. Before me in an altar servant's apparel was Ijabu, looking all immaculate. Were my eyes deceiving me?

"How could he be both Cultist and altar servant?" I wondered.

"The body of Christ..." the priest repeated. I responded and brought out my tongue. He placed the holy Communion on my tongue which disappeared into my mouth immediately.

I walked back to my seat and spent the rest of the Mass thinking about how to deal with what I had just discovered, my eyes intent on Ijabu.

The mass ended and I watched in bewilderment and confusion as he led the procession, carrying the cross as they walked from the altar through the central aisle of the Church to the entrance.
+++++

I walked back home pondering on what to do with what I had seen. I was really perturbed. Reporting him to the Chaplain seemed the right thing to do, but I couldn't bring myself to. I had made myself a promise not to have anything to do with the cultists again. Besides, there was no evidence to back up my claim. I decided to let it slide; to pretend as if nothing happened.

After all who was I to judge who was worthy to serve God and who wasn't? I brought out my phone which has been on silent mode while I was in the Church and saw that I had missed calls from Amaka. I smiled, dialed her number and wondered why she must have called. Didn't she go to Church?

"Hello Val! Happy Sunday", she had said immediately she picked my call.

"Same to you, ma'am. Hope you attended Mass?" I asked her.
"Sure, I attended the 5:30am mass. What about you?"

"I'm just going back home from Church. I missed your call". Someone called my name and waved from distance, I waved back.

"Yeah actually I wanted to tell you that my dad wants to meet you ..." She was saying but I cut her short.

"What? Your dad wants to meet me? Why? Hope I'm safe?" I asked stopping in my tracks and wondering why Amaka's dad, the retired Major would want to meet with me.

She laughed. "Calm down. Yes like I said, my dad wants to meet you. Is that a problem? Don't tell me you're scared already?" She continued, laughing as she said so.

"Well honestly, I'm scared, surprised and confused. Why would he want to see me?"
"I think he just wants to know more about you. Meanwhile he said he liked the course you're studying". I relaxed a bit.

"Hmmm that's good to know. I guess you've really told him much about me. Okay, there's no. problem I'll meet him".

"Make it 3 PM and meet me in front of the bank where we met. My driver and I will pick you up"
"Ok ma'am. I'll try".

++++++++++++++++++++

2:43 PM

"Guy so you dey serious?" Paul asked pouring out some groundnuts he would use in drinking garri into a plate.

"Ehe nah, I am very serious", I picked some groundnuts from his plate.
"But guy, so you are yet to learn your lesson?"

"What do you mean?" I asked pretending not to know what he meant.

"What if they kidnap you? Do you even know where you're going? For how long have you known this girl? You guys just met o". Paul questioned with a serious look.

"See, I know I just met this girl but I have known more about her in less than six days than I knew of some girls in years. As for kidnapping me, that's why I am telling you where I'm going to. They live at that GRA not so far from school, so if you don't see me till tomorrow morning go and report to police. I have told my friend Ebo too". I said with a mocking smile.

"Ok nah, I don hear. But it's risky oo" Paul said as I headed to the door.

"Life is all about risks".

To be continued ...

Written by
Valentine C. Azuka
Valcee [Honest Pen]
Re: 7 DAYS (the Past Came Haunting) S01 by 1Valcee1(m): 8:23pm On Aug 13, 2020

EPISODE 07 (II)
++++++

30 minutes later

I sat down face to face with the Major.

He wore a serious look and looked at me as if he could see through me. He looked quite young with his beardless face, and I guessed he would be in his early 50s. He had told Amaka to leave us immediately he sat down. I was nervous.

"Why did you collect my daughter's contact?" He finally spoke after several seconds of inspection. I was thrown off balance, I didn't expect the question, at least not for a start. He didn't ask what state I was from or about my family. I was really upset with the question but I composed myself. That's one of my hidden talents. Composure.

"Sir, I ... I like her and I'd love to be her friend. She is beautiful, smart and humble". I said with a serious look not knowing what he expected to hear from me.

"So do you go about making friends with every beautiful, smart and humble girl?"

"No Sir. Of course not".

"So why her?" He asked at once. My eyes fell to his fingers. He still wore his wedding ring. "I think she likes me too." I said with my eyes still on the ring. He went quiet for some seconds before he spoke again. This time he spoke to me as a man would to a man as a father to a son, as an adult to a fellow adult.

"You know, her mother was very fair and beautiful just like her", He caressed the ring. "She was from Anambra state. We met when she was 20 and got married the next year. I was 15 years older than her. Can you imagine? But we loved each other so much". He went on to narrate almost everything about his wife to me, including how she died. His infant son too.

"Amaka is the only one I have now and I'd do anything in my power to protect her. She might not understand the reasons I do some of the things I do. She thinks I don't want her to make friends but that's not true. It's for her own safety. I'm trying my best to protect her". I nodded my head. I knew where he was going, he would eventually tell me to stay away from her daughter.

"I was once a young guy like you and I understand the feeling of having beautiful girls around. It's normal. I don't know much about you but I think you're a good boy. Tell me about your parents".

I told him about my parents and he kept bombarding me with questions.

He was interested in my course choice. He told me he loved the course, that it was a profession of his closest friend. He asked me if I knew Adekola David to which I said no. He went on to tell me he was the current Deputy Governor of Lagos State and a friend.

We spoke for some time about many other things including football and I found out he was an Arsenal fan. When he was done talking with me, he called Amaka.

"Tell Sam to come take your friend home", he stood up to leave.

"Dad, did you say my friend? Is that a go ahead?" She asked with a funny look.

"Yes, you're free to be friends". Amaka stared at me in surprise as his dad climbed the stairs.

"What did you guys talk about? What did you tell him?" She asked me immediately her dad was out of sight.

"Many things. We talked about many things, men's stuff mostly". I said grinning.
"He likes you. This is the first time my dad likes my friend. I'm so happy".

"Everybody likes Val". I said boastfully.
"For your mind nau".

She gave me a hug and held me tightly. I reluctantly caressed her hair. She lifted her head from my shoulder and our eyes met. There was a burning sensation in her pretty eyes.

We stared at each other for some seconds before I shifted my gaze to her pink lips. My eyes were still on her lips when she said those words.

"I love you Val".
"I love you more, Amaka m", I shifted my gaze from her lips to her beautiful eyes.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" I asked her feeling uneasy.

"That's not the right question Val". She pouted her lips. I looked at her thoughtfully for some seconds.

"Can I kiss you?" She smiled.

"Yes". It sounded like a whisper but audible enough.

It was as if we were being programmed. My head kept leaning towards her and downwards and hers upwards. Our lips met and we kissed passionately in their sitting room. It was as if the whole world doesn't exist. Just the two of us and nothing else matters.
+++++

Author's POV (Point Of View)
++++++++++

While Val and his new girlfriend were sharing some wonderful moments in Major Ibori's sitting room, a strange dude was outside the gate talking to an unknown guy over the phone in a hushed tone.

"... see Mufi, you need to wait behind and find out who the boy is. We need to know everything about him because he'ld be the one to lead us to Chiamaka".
"Yes boss! No yawa".

To be continued ...

Would the Cultists allow Val this time around?

The story just begun.
Season two drops on Sunday ...

Valentine C. Azuka
Valcee [Honest Pen]
©2020
Re: 7 DAYS (the Past Came Haunting) S01 by Tonyspecial(m): 6:13pm On Aug 14, 2020
Wow! Can't wait, nice combo
Re: 7 DAYS (the Past Came Haunting) S01 by 1Valcee1(m): 4:56pm On Aug 16, 2020
It's here bro
Re: 7 DAYS (the Past Came Haunting) S01 by 1Valcee1(m): 4:58pm On Aug 16, 2020
7 Days (The Past Came Haunting) S02

A story written by Valentine C. Azuka
Valcee [Honest Pen]
©2020

We go too far trying.
We sink in despair,
trying to claw our way out of the pit of regret.
Even with the beast of our wrong acts pulling us down.
-cup_of_tea

EPISODE 01
+++++++++++

Tuesday
5:15 PM

Val
++++++++++++++++++++

"My Sunshine, are you not going to give me kola?"

I asked with a serious look on my face. She sat on her large bed, her hands tapping away on her phone. Her doll, Bob, lay on the bed, its lifeless bug eyes staring me down and daring me to try anything silly.

I remembered the day I caught Amaka speaking to her doll. It was that day I got to know that its name was Bob. She said Bob was the brother and friends she couldn't have. That it had always been the both of them, alone. I was bemused but I laughed it off. She said it wasn't something I would understand. I reminded her I was an only son too, though the difference was that my mum never prevented me from keeping friends.

"What kola again?" She asked, her eyes still glued to her phone.

"Don't you know what kola is again?" She paused for a moment, stared at me and continued using her phone.

"I know what kola is, but I just served you food and drink. What else do you want?" She pouted. I looked at her pretty fingers holding her phone so tenderly and I felt jealous. Those fingers should be stroking, touching me, caressing me not her phone.

I got to where she sat, collected her phone which I dropped on the wooden cabinet beside her bed and led her to her feet.

I gave her a soft bite on her earlobe and whispered, "Since you have claimed that you don't know the kola I'm talking about, what about my serving myself?" She stared at me with her pretty eyes, wearing a naughty smile.

"Sure, serve yourse..." I didn't allow her to finish as my lips found hers. She responded immediately and we kissed for some seconds before she pushed me to the bed. My eyes met Bob's and I gave him a knowing smile,

"Yeah buddy, I'm gonna make love to your sister". Within seconds we were both in our birthday suits.
+++++

Some minutes later we lay beside each other breathing heavily after a fun filled love making. My eyes caught the portrait of her mother hanging on the wall of her room. She looked very beautiful and happy, and she had this wonderful smile. I looked at the girl lying beside me and smiled. She was a carbon copy of her mother. She blew me a kiss and went to her bathroom. I looked at her and smiled in fulfillment.

She had everything I was looking for in a woman and I knew there was no letting go.

That was not my first time of sleeping with her. We had slept together more than five times in the past few months since we started dating and I knew my spiritual life was going down the drain. However, I wasn't ready to stop.

I found it difficult and unnecessary saying the 'Act of Contrition.' I remembered the day in Church when the choir tuned the hymn "Never will I sin again..." I kept mute. I couldn't sing along with the congregation. I felt it would be dishonesty on my part if I sang it. I would definitely sin again and I knew it, so why lie in God's presence? God as well knows everything, he would know it was a lie.

I've been seeing Amaka since last semester, right from the day she invited me to her house. Everything was going on smoothly, apart from my spiritual life, of course, I was doing great in every other aspect of my life.

I was doing great in my academics; my first semester results were good though not good enough to fetch me a first class certificate. I wasn't aspiring for first class anyway. I had totally forgotten about Cynthia and we had not spoken since the last time at the hospital. Ebo and I were still buddies, and we had each other's back, always.

"Baby are you not going to join me?" She shouted from the bathroom, bringing me back to the present.
"Nah, I am shy. I don't want you to see my pim pim" I replied jokingly, getting up from the bed.

She laughed. "Look at you, dirty boy" I wore my trouser.

"Baby, admission list is coming out tomorrow o. Are you aware?" I asked, trying to change the subject.

"Wow are you serious?" She asked and I imagined the look of excitement on her face.

"Hope you would make us proud?" I entered the bathroom and gave her a kiss.

"Can you imagine? You just entered a bathroom where a full grown woman like me is having her bath. Don't you know I can sue you for sexual harassment?" She tried covering her naked body with a towel. I was amused. This girl wouldn't cease to amaze me. Few minutes ago she was inviting me to come shower with her now she's pretending to be shy.

"I'm sorry my Barrister. It won't happen again. I just wanted to say goodbye". I apologized giving her a mock bow.

"Go away joor!" I knew she was kidding.

"See you later", I said closing the door behind me.
"Love you!" She shouted from behind the door.
"Love you too".
++++++++++

I got back to my lodge few minutes past 8 PM and met my room locked.

"Where could this boy be by this time of the night?" I asked rhetorically.

I was dialing Paul's number when I heard some funny sounds coming from our room. I realized then what was going on, I went to our neighbor's room to wait it out.

"I thought Paul was around?" He asked, when I told him I'd be waiting for Paul in his room.

"Yeah, he's around but busy". I replied with a smirk.

"Oh!" We laughed.

To be continued...

Edited by:
Anastasia C. Nwoye
Ekweh Christian

Please follow, comment and share.
Re: 7 DAYS (the Past Came Haunting) S01 by 1Valcee1(m): 5:10pm On Aug 16, 2020

We go too far trying.
We sink in despair,
-cup_of_tea

EPISODE 02
+++++++++++

Wednesday
11:52 AM
Stat 102 Class

Val
++++++++++++++++++++

This was actually my worst lecture for the semester; a three hours Statistics lecture (10am-1pm). After two hours of standing at the field, for field practical. I could barely concentrate for the first two hours.

The lecturer asked another question and yet it was a girl that answered.

"It seems the girls are better than the boys in this class, right?" She asked.

"Noo ma'am, we don't have girls, we are all boys". Ozyee replied. The whole class busted into laughter including the lecturer.

My course was largely guys than ladies that we referred to the few ladies as guys.

"You boys need to be more serious", she advised. "And that reminds me" she continued.

"A student was found dead yesterday morning in Nsukka Campus". She went on to tell us how there was no single scratch on the deceased, no gunshot wound, not even a stab. Some people believed it was a suicide, while others believed it could be one of the cult groups. Maybe he was poisoned or strangled.

"Hmmm, thank God there is nothing like cultism in this our Campus", the guy sitting beside me said. I looked at him, kept mute and recalled my encounter with the . It was an ugly experience I hated recalling.
+++++

IJ Hostel
1:18 PM
++++++++++

I headed to the boys hostel to go see my guys, when I got whiff of an incident. As I moved closer to the hostel, I heard boys shouting,

"IJ ooo...IJ ooo..." which wasn't a new thing; IJ hostel was known to be the noisiest on campus. The noise increased as I got closer, however it had this sorrowful feel to it. I entered and met a crowd in front of J-wing.

Many people had their hands on their heads, why others shook their heads sorrowfully. I enquired what was happening, from one of the guys among the crowd,

"One Law student just committed suicide, his name is Ekene". He had replied immediately as if he had been expecting the question.

"What? How did it happen?" I asked in shock.
"I'm not sure guy, I heard he jumped from 400 series-5th floor".
"Jesus Christ!"
+++++

Green Lodge.
7:17 PM
++++++++++

I was in my room with Paul and Ebo discussing the recent death. "I wonder what could have made a youth take his own life", asked Ebo to no one in particular.

"Honestly, the thing annoy me, nothing would ever make me commit suicide. This life wey dey sweet like this". I added.

"Guys it's not like that oo, you guys haven't suffered from depression. That's why you are talking like this", Paul argued.

"Paul forget that thing! Which stupid depression? Which depression would make you end your own life?" Ebo asked Paul looking at me as if expecting me to support his point.

"I don't know. All I know is that none of us really know what's going to happen tomorrow. Most of these victims of suicide never believed they would ever commit suicide". Paul elaborated. And I believed him.

"Yes, Paul you are right. But guys, what if...what if these were no suicides at all?"

"Val what are you talking about? Ebo asked.
"I mean what if they didn't kill themselves? What if someone else killed them and made it look like it was suicide?"
+++++

Ekene's Side of the story.
Few hours earlier
++++++++++

I looked down from the fifth floor deep in thought.

"Oh God! Barca why? I can't believe Barcelona made me lose my ticket. What kind of devil is this?"

I looked at the white paper in my hands, hissed and tore it to pieces.

"How am I going to pay this departmental due, before my exam on Friday?"

Exam starts next tomorrow and I just used the 100k sent to me by my parents to play bet. Now I'm left with nothing. It was only two odds which was meant to fetch me 200k. My phone got lost a month ago and since then I had been using a Nokia Torch. I was supposed to use the money get myself a new phone and take care of other things including my departmental dues. Tears dropped from my eyes.

My only hope was to borrow some money from my closest friend, Vincent. But he had refused. According to him I wasn't serious. He knew my parents sent me some money few days ago.

"What happened to the money that was sent to you? You want to use Aba sense on me abii?" He had asked me. I couldn't tell him. He didn't know I was into betting. We used to condemn those who played bet together.

All I needed was just a jump and everything would end. I closed my eyes.

"Forgive me Father". Half way to the ground, I regretted my actions. I wished I could reverse time. But it was impossible.

To be continued ...

PS
The author does not in any way support suicide.

Next episode drops tomorrow.

Please follow, comment and share.

Written by
Valentine C. Azuka.
Valcee [Honest Pen]

1 Like

Re: 7 DAYS (the Past Came Haunting) S01 by Tonyspecial(m): 6:11pm On Aug 17, 2020
Confirmed G
Re: 7 DAYS (the Past Came Haunting) S01 by 1Valcee1(m): 8:12pm On Aug 17, 2020

We sink in despair,
-cup_of_tea

EPISODE 03
+++++++++++

Thursday
4:47 PM

Val
++++++++++++++++++++

"Chai! Honestly that's too bad", I was in my room gisting with Paul about the latest incident on campus. The suicidal news had been trending everywhere on campus including online.

My mum had called me yesterday and also this morning, saying a lot of encouraging words to me. She also begged me to always feel free to talk to her about anything. She went on to remind me that I was her only child. I promised her I would be fine and that I'd never do anything that would either hurt her or myself.

"Hmmm Val, the guy that committed suicide was a friend to my class mate oo. The guy almost killed himself yesterday. He said he was responsible for the death of his friend". Paul continued.

"How? Why would he say such a thing? The guy must really be in serious pain oo", I asked curiously.

"Val calm down. According to what Vincent my classmate told me, Ekene asked him to lend him some money but he refused not knowing it was something serious. Until after his death and during some investigation, nobody knew the real cause of his death till they went to his bank and enquired about his transactions, then it was discovered that his last transfer was to his Bet9ja account".

"Wait wait! Are you trying to say that the guy committed suicide because probably he lost a wager?" I asked in dismay.

"Exactly. And guess what, it wasn't a small sum".
"How much?" I asked impatiently.
"Guess". Paul suggested, trying to make his gist more interesting.

"Eeeerm 10k", I saw a mosquito perched on the wall close to me and slapped it with my palm hoping to get it killed. But when I had removed my palm from the wall and looked at it, there was nothing there. I missed.

"Hmmm what's 10k? Guy you won't believe it was 100k. The only money in his account". He waved his two hands in front of him in demonstration.

"Jeez!" I covered my mouth with both palms trying not to let out more screams.

My phone chimed, I looked at it and it was a call from an unknown number, so I ignored it, I don't like taking calls from unknown numbers. I thought about what I just heard. I used to bet too, but I couldn't imagine myself taking such risk. My phone chimed again and I decided to pick up.

"Valentine Azuka" I heard from the other end when I placed the phone on my right ear.
"Yeah. Please who am I speaking with?" I stroked my beards.

"Hope you're alone?" The stranger asked ignoring my question and getting me scared.

"Y...y...yes ..." I replied, going outside.

"Okay. Val listen carefully. There is something we want you to do for us ..."
"And why do you think I can do whatever it is you want me to do?"

"We know you can do it. You're the only one who can do it".
"Who are you? Have we met before? How did you even get my contact?" I was getting scared.

"It doesn't matter". He said with a confident tone.
"Well, even if I can do whatever it is you want, why would I do it? I barely know you".

"Because we have your friend ..." He was saying, but I cut him short.

"What! You have my friend? Which of my friends? Where?" I was sweating.

"Ebo. And if you love him like he does, you have 24 hours to do as exactly as we want".

"Okay ... okay. Please don't harm him.  What is it you want me to do?" I asked with a trembling voice.

"You're going to help us kidnap someone", I was speechless for some seconds before I found my voice.

"What! ... No, I can't do that".
"Oh yes you can. You're going to help us or your friend dies".

"Please don't harm my friend. Who is it you want me to help you kidnap? How do I know him?" I asked, my heart thumping hard. Why are all these happening to me? I wondered.

"You know her already. You are going to help us kidnap Ibori Chiamaka, Your babe".

"What!?"
++++++++++

Amaka
+++++++

I was calling Val to break the good news to him. I had gained an admission to study law in the university. The same University he was studying in, but he was on another call. I had dialed his number thrice yet got the same annoying response from that silly woman.

"The customer you're trying to reach is on another call ..." I wondered why he couldn't end the call and pick mine.

"Who was he even talking to for more than five minutes now?. Hope it wasn't a girl" I was jealous and angry, but on a second thought, I told myself it could be his mum.

Some minutes later he called and when I asked about the girl that kept him from answering my calls he told me it was his mum and I believed him. I told him I had gained admission and he was very happy but there was something wrong with the way he sounded. His voice was dull.

"Are you okay babe? You don't sound too well". I had asked him.
"I'm ok my sunshine, just that my mum told me she was sick. I'm just worried about her".

"Oh, sorry dear. Don't worry she’d be fine". We talked for a while with me trying to cheer him up but to no avail, before he ended the call. He said he needed to catch some sleep and cool off his head. I hadn't seen my Val in such mood before.

That was the shortest and most boring call I ever had with him.

To be continued ...

Written by
Valentine C. Azuka
Valcee [Honest Pen]
Re: 7 DAYS (the Past Came Haunting) S01 by 1Valcee1(m): 8:10pm On Aug 18, 2020

We sink in despair,
- cup_of_tea

EPISODE 04
+++++++++++

Friday
4:23 PM

Val
++++++++++++++++++++

I was done putting things together and In order, in anticipation of Amaka's first visit to my lodge and for execution of my plan.

I had given her a call earlier in the day and told her how I would love her to pay me a visit in the evening so we could celebrate her success at my place. She was very excited. She told me her dad would be hosting a small party for her too on Sunday.

I suggested it would be better if she came without her driver and bodyguard, so that she wouldn't stir up any unnecessary attention. She said she understood, she loved keeping things simple.

I went to my bathroom to freshen up and when my eyes caught my reflection in the mirror, I stared long at myself in the mirror and broke into tears.

"I am such a terrible human being". I thought to myself. “What kind of boyfriend am I?” One that could do nothing to protect his girlfriend ...
+++++

Last night was like hell for me. I spent the whole night pondering on the conversation I had with the stranger who seemed to be a kidnapper. I was given only 24 hours to deliver Amaka to them or my friend Ebo will be dead.

Delivering Amaka to them was a very difficult decision for me, not just as a boyfriend but as a Christian. But if I failed to do what they wanted, they were going to kill my innocent friend who had sacrificed his life for me once.

After so much thought, I made up my mind on what to do and gave them a call in the morning. I requested to speak to my friend to confirm that they truly had him and to make sure he was alive. It was indeed Ebo and he pleaded with me to give them whatever they needed so that he could be released as examinations were fast approaching.

I sought to know why they wanted Amaka and they told me that they only needed to get some money from her dad. They assured me that nothing would happen to her. I decided to give them what they needed.

I agreed to help them kidnap Amaka my girlfriend. I knew our relationship would be at risk after that. But that was the best thing I could do, after all, they only wanted money. They were not going to harm her. She’d be fine, I had thought and made up my mind. I couldn't let Ebo suffer more than he already had.
+++++

My phone rang bringing me back to the present. It was Amaka, I customized her contact on my cell with Alan Walker's Darkside. I picked up and she told me she was waiting for me in front of Access Bank.

I hurried up to go pick her and met her looking very beautiful and lovely as always in her short Ankara gown which exposed her fair, smooth legs. I was very proud walking with her hand in hand.

We got to my place and she was impressed by how neat and arranged my room looked. We ate the chicken pepper soup I prepared, talked for a while and then she got all romantic, but I wasn't in the mood. I couldn't respond.

She was really sad and disappointed in me. I lied to her that the current suicide that was committed in my school in addition to my mother's illness was really affecting me. She said it was fine but I knew it wasn't.

At that moment, I received a text message.

"Guy we're set. Hope she would pass through the route you gave us?" She looked at me and smiled.

"How's your mom doing? Have you talked to her today?" She asked trying to peer at my phone as I replied the text. She was sitting on my bed while I sat on a chair facing her.

"Yes I called her like 3 hours ago. I don't think she's getting better. She complained about body pains. I wish I was there to take care of her". I lied.

My phone rang. I looked at the screen and it was the kidnappers. I went outside and spoke with them in hushed tones but when I came back I met Amaka on her feet, her arms akimbo, wearing a serious look.

"Baby who was that? Why are you now evading me such that you take your calls outside? Who's she? She is the one you have been texting in my presence, right?" I held her waist.

"My Sunshine, it's not what you think. It was a guy I just spoke with, my neighbor. He asked me to check if his roommate was back. That was why I had to go outside. Ah jealousy". I mocked her playfully.

"Are you sure of..." A text came in again interrupting her.

"Ok we would be expecting our package in few minutes. Don't do anything silly or else..."

She wanted to see the text but I refused.

"I knew it; you're hiding something from me. You have been acting strange lately". She sat down on my bed with her hands supporting her jaw. She was staring at the floor.

"Honestly I can't believe you're this stupid. What kind of nonsense is this? Why would you want to read my messages when I have said No? So I can't have my privacy because you're my girlfriend? My phone is my private property for goodness sake!" I yelled at her feeling infuriated. She was surprised.

"Valentine, is it me you're talking to like this? This is serious. I think I should leave". She picked up her purse and phone.

I watched her leave in tears. I texted the kidnappers describing what she wore and told them she’d be within their reach anytime soon. That was part of the plan, getting her upset so she’d leave alone. They texted me back.

"Once we get hold of her, your friend walks". I made the sign of the cross and prayed things work out according to plan.
++++++++++

Amaka
++++++++++++++++++++

I left Val's lodge with tears in my eyes. I couldn't fathom what had just happened. That was the first time of having a serious misunderstanding with Val since we met.

I've heard people say couples always fight in a relationship and that the fights make love stronger. I hoped it would be the same in our case. What was supposed to be a fun filled visit turned out to be a mess. I regretted going to his place.

There was something going on with Val, He said it was his mum's illness and the suicide story but I didn't believe that. It must be something else but I couldn't figure it out.

"Could it be that he's cheating on me? Or probably he started talking to his ex, Cynthia, again". I wondered.

I brought out my phone checked the time and it was 7:08 PM. It was getting dark and I knew I’d be getting an earful and would have some explaining to do when I got home.

I took my eyes off my phone and bumped into someone, that same instant. I apologized but he remained still, blocking my path. I made to walk over to the other side but he stood on my path again. I was about asking him what he wanted when someone covered my nose and mouth with a handkerchief. I inhaled something funny and passed out.

Everything went blank.

To be continued ...

Written by
Valentine C. Azuka.
Re: 7 DAYS (the Past Came Haunting) S01 by 1Valcee1(m): 2:18pm On Aug 19, 2020

We sink in despair,
-cup_of_tea

EPISODE 05
+++++++++++

Brown Lodge
Saturday
10:34 AM

Ebo
++++++++++++++++++++

It was a normal Saturday morning at my lodge commonly known as the "Brown lodge" because of the brown painting of the exterior of the house.

My neighbors were busy each one with one chore or the other. Washing plates, pots, clothes and cleaning up the house while blasting hip hop songs from their various home theatres. All thanks to EEDC.

I was done with my laundry and didn't feel like cleaning and mopping the floor. So I picked up my books to study but the experience with the kidnappers clouded my mind.
+++++

I was walking home on Thursday evening with earphones plugged in both ears when a girl patted me on the back. I turned, removed my earphones to hear what she had to say. She called my name and told me she had been seeing me in school. I told her I hadn't seen her before, she asked how could I have noticed her when my girlfriends are always around me like houseflies.

I couldn't help but laughed. The girl sounded just like a flirt. We talked for some time and just when we were about exchanging contacts, I felt strong hands grab me from behind, I saw the girl take off before I collapsed after inhaling chloroform. Yeah I knew what it was, I have seen it in movies.

I woke up the next morning feeling very lightheaded and nauseated. My mouth tasted funny. I was blindfolded so everywhere was dark. The place was strange, there was no physical motion: I could hear no human movement, no sound from vehicles. Except for the chirping of insects, cock crows and the ruffling sounds caused by the wind, the place felt deserted. I tried getting up but I was stuck to the chair I was sitting on with both hands and legs tied.

"What am I doing here?" I asked myself before attempting to speak out loud. My mouth felt very dry, I was thirsty. I wanted to shout but the words couldn't get out, it was then I realized I was gagged too. I made incoherent sounds indicating that I wanted to speak and someone removed the gag.

"Haaa! Thanks... thanks". I breathed heavily.

"Please I need some water. I'm really dying of thirst", I said talking to no one in particular.

Someone brought a sachet of water for me which I took in a gulp, panting like a deer which hadn't seen water for days.

"Please why am I here tied to a chair and blindfolded?" I asked the guy that gave me water. He didn't respond, instead he tried putting the gag back.

"Wait ... wait ... please even if you guys are going to kill me, could you at least tell me why?"

"You were kidnapped. No one is going to harm you unless Val fails to do what we've asked him to".

I was really terrified when I heard that. I wondered if it had to do with Val and Cynthia again. I couldn't believe Val would be so stupid as to hang out with Cynthia again after what we had passed through. I hated him that instant and swore not to have anything do with him again ,that is if I was able to get away from the predicament I found myself in.

I wondered what they must have told him to do before they would release me. Joining their fraternity was the only thing that came to my mind.

If I was right, then it would be a big mess. Would Val join their fraternity because of me? Or would he allow me to die at the hands of these unknown kidnappers.

For chrissake, my exams were fast approaching.

"Please what is it you want Val to do for you guys?" I asked him with a terrified tone.
"You don't need to know. That's it, you've talked enough." He said putting the gag back.

"Wait ... wait ...." I was gagged once again and I had no other option than to swallow my unspoken words, what with my many protests and unsuccessful remonstrations. I had wanted to ask him if they had spoken to Val. Truth be told, I wanted to talk to him too.

Some minutes later, they brought a phone to me. It was Val. I was as happy as I was relieved. I felt my saviour had come, I implored him to do whatever it took to make sure I got out of that place alive to prepare for my exams.

They snatched the phone from me not allowing me to speak with my saviour for long. They moved farther away from me so I wouldn't hear what was being discussed. But I heard the guy say something like "I give you my word, no one will lay a finger on her" and I knew the girl was no other but Cynthia.

It was hell, sitting blindfolded and tied to a chair, while my whole body ached. I also felt what it was like to be blind. I sat in pain unaware of what was going on around me counting down seconds till sleep engulfed me. I don't know how long I slept but I know I woke up to the sound of a car being driven in.

"Untie him and take him to the car, we've received our package. And do not remove the blindfold". The one in command shouted from outside. The bonds that held me to the chair were untied and I was taken to the car with my hands still tied behind my back. The guy that led me to the car proceeded to push me inside but I protested.

"I thought you guys had gotten what you wanted and I was supposed to be free? So why are my hands still tied? Are you guys scared that I will escape?"

My words stopped him in his tracks and he looked at me as if he was pondering over what I had said. Then he untied me and asked me to enter the boot of the car. I did but when he was about closing the boot his phone rang and he picked leaving the boot open.

I seized the opportunity to shift the blindfold a bit and peeped. I was able to see the place, thanks to the moonlight, and it was an uncompleted building. It looked familiar and I wasn't sure I had been there before but I was sure I had seen the building before. I couldn't just remember where. I was still trying to identify the building when the boot closed leaving me in darkness once again. I adjusted the blindfold to cover my eyes properly.
+++++

"Ebo my guy!" Val shouted, bringing me back from my thoughts. We hugged and patted each other's back.

"Guy I'm really sorry you experienced this again. I really know nothing about this or those behind it. I don't even think it was the that did this", he apologized and I saw the bitterness in his eyes.

We saw each other yesterday when I was released by the kidnappers but we didn't talk much. I told him to come to my place the next day so we could talk about what happened. Meanwhile I needed some time to myself, I had not bathed in two days.

"Honestly I swore not to have anything to do with you again after this incident but let me hear from you first. What business did you have with Cynthia again? You made a vow to leave that girl for good". He looked at me with tears in his eyes and shook his head.

"Ebo it wasn't Cynthia this time around, it was my girlfriend ..."

"What? Amaka! How?" I found it difficult to believe what I heard. I really felt bad for him.

"Yes oo Amaka" He went on to narrate everything to me starting from when he first received the call. I was really sad and I felt responsible for what had happened. It wasn't his fault yet he gave them his girlfriend just to set me free. If only I had come back earlier that night or at least, wasn't carried away by that girl, I had met, who knows, I might have been careful enough to notice what was going on around me.

"But Val o, how about her dad? I mean how did he take it? Is he aware you're involved in his daughter's kidnap?"
"Noo I lied to him. I couldn't tell him the truth. I told him I was supposed to meet her that day but couldn't reach her on the phone". He replied bitterly.

"Chai! That one is another problem oo. Don't you think Amaka will tell him when she is released? You know you guys had a misunderstanding". I asked him trying to know what his plan was. I watched him stand up with his arms akimbo and staring at the wall.

"Well if I could get the chance to speak to her before she talks to her dad, I can apologize to her and convince her not to tell her dad she came to my lodge the day she was kidnapped. I'm sure she'd comply".

"Another question. Do you in any way feel she might suspect you had a hand in her kidnap?" I asked him, concerned.

"No no. I played my card well. There's no way she'd think such." He said confidently.
"What about the ransom? Do you know how much they demanded?"

"Two milli guy, according to her dad. Ehe let me call him and know when he would be going to make the exchange".

I watched him bring out his phone and scroll through it with shaky fingers.

"Hello ... Sir ... yes Sir ... okay Sir. Sir I was thinking if I could come with you. Okay. Good luck Sir". He shook his head and I knew it didn't go well.

"He said I shouldn't bother myself".

To be continued ...

Valentine C. Azuka
©2020
Re: 7 DAYS (the Past Came Haunting) S01 by Tonyspecial(m): 5:48pm On Aug 19, 2020
Nice one
Re: 7 DAYS (the Past Came Haunting) S01 by 1Valcee1(m): 12:29pm On Aug 21, 2020

We sink in despair,
-cup_of_tea

EPISODE 06
+++++++++++

Sunday
6:17 AM

Major Ibori
++++++++++++++++++++

I walked to and fro in my room furiously and scared at the same time. I wondered what gave those bastards the mind to be playing games with me. They didn't know who they were messing around with. Nobody messes with me and goes scot free.

Yesterday I delivered the two Million Naira they demanded but instead of getting my daughter back like we agreed on, I was told to go home and wait for their next demand. I yelled at and cursed them promising to deal with every one of them if I should lay my hands on them. I was infuriated but became placid when they got my daughter on the phone crying.

"Dad please, they're hurting me." Her cry pierced through my heart like a sharp arrow.

"Sir you better not think of doing anything stupid, else we'll send you her body parts piece by piece." I heard my daughter crying in the background. She must be really scared.

Just few minutes ago I had received a call from them demanding additional money, this time, they wanted five Million Naira. I wondered if it would be the last or if they still had some cards up their sleeves again. The money was not really the problem. I needed to get those bastards that had the guts to lay their filthy hands on my precious daughter. They needed to be punished and not getting paid. I could possibly track them but there wasn't enough time and I didn't want to risk my daughter's life in the name of revenge.

I got a call from Val. He wanted to know how I was doing and to know if the kidnappers had contacted me again. As we talked I felt the pain and concern in his voice. He really loved my daughter and I was happy the way things were going between them. My daughter and I had actually become closer since they started seeing each other.

I told him they demanded another five million and he suggested it was time we involved the police. I was thinking as much but I feared for my daughter's safety. Getting my daughter back safely was my priority.
+++++

Brown Lodge.
7:33 AM

Val
++++++++++++++++++++

"Honestly this doesn't make sense at all. I pray nothing happens to my girl oo. because I won't forgive myself".

I looked at Ebo who seemed to be lost in thought. We were supposed to be preparing for our exams but here we were trying to solve a kidnapping case.

"I have deleted the text conversations I had with them including my call logs. If not I would have given them a call. This was not what we agreed on".

Yet Ebo said nothing, rather he paced around with his index finger in between his teeth as if trying to recall something.

"Guy what is it? What are you thinking about?"

"Guy wait I'm trying to remember something ... wait! You're with your phone right?" He asked rushing to me.

"Yeah, sure" I said handing over the phone.

He opened it and went to my gallery. "What are you looking for?" I asked watching with curiosity. "What do my pictures have to do with the current issue at hand?"

"Those pictures you took last year for your birthday, do you still have it? The ones you took with Kachi Onugha at one uncompleted building because you wanted a background that looked archaic". He asked with a serious look.

"Yeah, they should be there"
I collected the phone from him and searched through. Luckily for us I found them. He swiped through the first and second one muttering "yes ... yes". When he got to the third one he shouted. "Yes! Val this is the place. I knew it. I knew I had seen the uncompleted building somewhere".

"Which building are you talking about?" I asked him even though I now had a clue of what he was insinuating.

"The place I was kept when I was abducted. I'm sure that must be the place they're holding your babe".

I looked at the third picture, I was squatting down in front of an uncompleted building. I remembered the place at once, and thought for a while.  That was actually good intel but what were we to do with it? Go on a rescue mission to fight criminals that apparently had guns? Or inform the police? With or without the Major's knowledge? How do we convince the police that we are sure of where they are holding Amaka?

These questions and many more crossed my mind all in an attempt to do nothing that would implicate me. They need not know Ebo was kidnapped and held at the same place.

"Do you know how many they are?" I asked him scratching my head.
"There were three of them. I was able to tell their voices apart". He said immediately with all assurance.

"Just three? Are you sure?"
"Yeah I'm very sure unless someone else joined them after I was released which I doubt".

"Guy thanks, this information can be really useful. When I spoke with Major in the morning, he said he would do anything to get those guys though not at the expense of his daughter's life. I think we should go talk to him now". I said getting on my feet.

"Let me dress up". He entered his bathroom. I gave the picture one last look, closed my eyes and tried to imagine Amaka tied to a chair while some ugly guys toyed with her body. I unconsciously shouted "No!!" punching the wall that same instant.
+++++

Few minutes later we were on our way to the GRA to go see the Major. I had given him a call informing him that a friend of mine might have information on the kidnappers’ location. He was really excited and had wanted to send Sam to come pick us up but I told him not to bother and that we would be there shortly.

"But Val how are we going to explain the fact that I know the kidnappers' location. You know he won't fail to ask that question right?"

"You’re right. It never came to my mind" I said stopping in my tracks.

After some minutes of brainstorming, we came up with the answer.

"You were there because an upcoming musician in our school was looking for a place to shoot his music video".
+++++

Few minutes later we were sitting face to face with the Major and two police officers who kept throwing questions at us. At a point I became scared and uncomfortable, but I composed myself so did Ebo.

The police officer asking the questions was very mean as if he was suspecting us. Once, he asked the Major if he was certain that we weren't working with the kidnappers and only trying to set them up.

The Major laughed it off and told him it wasn't possible given that the girl in question was my girlfriend and that he knew I wanted to see her released without a single scratch to her body, just like he wanted.

"Young man! You said you saw three guys carry a girl into the uncompleted building while you were surveying a place for a music video shoot?" The officer threw at Ebo. And I wondered why he repeated the question.

"Yes sir".
"Why didn't you report to the police?"

"Sir. I ... it was because I didn't know the girl in question neither do I know her family. So calling the police might have endangered the girl's life which her family would not have appreciated".

"So what made you think reporting now would not endanger her life?"

"Eemm Officer, it's okay. Enough of the questions. Let's plan on how to rescue my daughter safely". It was the Major. I heaved a sigh of relief.

They dismissed us and told us to report tomorrow, because we'd be going with them to show the place to them.

"Val, hope you still know the way to the place?" Ebo asked me immediately we were out of the Major's house.
"Yeah it's a bit far oo".

"You need to come show me the place. Or aren't you thinking what I am thinking?" He asked me smiling. Then the realization hit me.

"You're the one to direct the police tomorrow and you don't know the way". I said with my eyes wide open.

"Narrow escape!"

We laughed. I checked the time and it was 1:42 PM.

To be continued ...

Valentine C. Azuka
Valcee [Honest Pen]
Re: 7 DAYS (the Past Came Haunting) S01 by 1Valcee1(m): 12:33pm On Aug 21, 2020

We sink in despair,
-cup_of_tea

EPISODE 07
++++++++++

Monday
6:15 AM

Val
++++++++++++++++++++

We headed to the suspected den of the kidnappers in the police van with Ebo in the front seat giving the direction.

We arrived few minutes past seven in the morning. They strategized themselves and told Ebo and I to remain in the van after Ebo had shown them the supposed building. We watched them sneak into the building from different directions including the Major. I did the sign of the cross and said a short prayer.

"God I know I'm not worthy to say your name, I'm not even worthy of your love, kindness and help but I need your help right now. Let this operation be a success".

"Amen" Ebo said from the front seat smiling and looking out the window.

"Val I'm not comfortable here oo. I'm scared to death. Honestly leaving us here alone without anything to protect ourselves is a terrible idea.

"What if we were to be attacked?"

I felt a lump in my throat and swallowed hard.

"Don't worry, we would be fine. This is a police vehicle it must be bullet proof." I said, unsure of myself.

"Hmm, so you think this is a Hollywood movie right?" 

There were gunshots. It seemed they were engaging in operation "open fire" with the kidnappers. I became more scared that we must have underestimated those guys. The gunfire didn't last for long and everywhere was quiet again. Then a voice shrieked through the walkie talkie.

"Three men down. All clear. Amaka rescued, she's in good shape ... I repeat she's in good shape".

I jumped down from the van and ran towards the building in joy and excitement. I saw the major carrying Amaka her daughter like a baby but immediately our eyes met, she jumped down and came running towards me.

We hugged and held each other tightly as if our lives depended on that embrace.

"I'm so sorry". we said simultaneously and laughed.

Her dad joined us and we were so engrossed in the reunion chit-chat when something happened.
I saw one of the supposedly dead kidnappers reach for his revolver which was but few inches away from where he was lying and aim it at the Major.

It happened so fast like a flash of lightning. I shouted but before they could understand what was happening, I was already on the ground in my own pool of blood. I had taken the bullet meant for the Major, I wouldn't live to see Amaka an orphan especially when I had something to do with the current situation we were all in. I needed to right my wrong.

I heard another patter of shots fired and Amaka screaming,

"Vaaaaal! Noooooo!"

I felt a burning sensation like fire race through my veins to my brain. It was such an unbearable pain. I felt weak and drowsy.

When I couldn't fight it, the darkness took over me and my eyes closed against my will.
++++++++++

Major Ibori
++++++++++++++++++++

After the information we got from Val and his friend who claimed he knew where the kidnappers were holding my daughter. I had a long discussion with the police men and we concluded to attack the kidnappers and rescue my daughter when they least expected.

We decided to go the next morning. I gave the kidnappers a call and we agreed on doing the exchange the next evening. They told me they would text me the location I'd drop the money for them tomorrow.

They wouldn't be expecting us earlier and they were unaware that we might have their location.

Our plan worked perfectly; we took the bad guys down and were able to rescue my daughter safely until there was a gunshot.

I saw Val collapse to the ground bleeding after pushing me away. It was a shot from one of the kidnappers who we mistook to be dead. He was shot at immediatelly but it didn't prevent his own bullet from hitting Val. The poor boy took a bullet for me.
+++

We took him to the hospital immediately and the doctor said he would make it. Val only fainted from fear and pain. The doctor went further to explain that the bullet missed Val’s scapula but had hit his deltoid.

He gave Val morphine to reduce the pain. They needed a surgeon to operate on him so they could remove the bullet, unfortunately, the doctor who attended to him was not a surgeon so we had to wait for the surgeon who according to the doctor was already on his way. Val coughed and opened his eyes. I rushed to him immediately.

"Where am I?" He asked looking around.

"Hey boy. You're in the hospital, you were shot. I'm so happy you're awake. Thanks so much for what you did. You saved my life", I told him with tears of joy in my eyes. He started crying, shaking his head. I felt so sorry for him.

"Sir, how's Amaka?"
"She's fine. She left some minutes ago. I told her to go home".

"It's all my fault Sir, I'm so sorry".
"What are you talking about son?"

The surgeon arrived and informed us it was time to take Val to the theatre. But Val insisted we talk before undergoing any surgery.

"What's this you want to talk about that can't wait after your surgery?" I enquired the instant the doctor left us. I wasn't so interested in what he had to say. I only wanted him to finish so he could be operated on.

"Sir I lied to you. Amaka visited me the day she was kidnapped ..." He said weakly, He went on to narrate everything to me. I was really sad and  disappointed in him but that was not the best time to tell him how I felt.

What he did was really terrible but quite understandable. He was trying to save his friend's life, though he put my daughter's life at risk. That was exactly why I never wanted my daughter to have or keep friends. He made me promise not to tell my daughter what he just told me.

I watched as the nurses wheeled his bed into the theatre.

To be continued ...

The story has changed!

Valentine C. Azuka
Valcee [Honest Pen]
©2020

Season 03 starts on Sunday
Re: 7 DAYS (the Past Came Haunting) S01 by Tonyspecial(m): 2:19pm On Aug 22, 2020
I'm patiently waiting.....
Re: 7 DAYS (the Past Came Haunting) S01 by 1Valcee1(m): 7:58pm On Aug 23, 2020
7 Days (The Past Came Haunting) S03

I could climb up the highest mountain,
and for your sake go down the deepest ocean.
But I could only see in your hands a catapult,
firing out evil bullets in my direction.
- Ikise Atabang

EPISODE 01
+++++++++++

<<< 7 Years Later >>>

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
USA.

Monday.
7:33 AM

++++++++++++++++++++

"Hey what's up bro?"

Ekene greeted Josh, the chief accountant, as he walked into the supermarket with his boss, Mrs Bruno. Ekene and Josh were the only Nigerians in the company and they were both Igbos. But they were never friends. One hated the other with passion.

"I'm cool bro. See ya".
"Yeah. See ya".

"Ekene, that nigg* doesn't like you".

Mrs Bruno chipped in without any remorse. There's something funny about the way she pronounced the Igbo name.

"He doesn't hate me either. He's gon' come around one day. We're brothers." Ekene defended Josh grinning.

"I don't believe that shit. That mother f*cker is f*cking jealous of you, don't you see that? You need to be very careful when you're with him." Mrs Bruno tried to let Ekene understand.

"Why the f*ck w'ld he be jealous of me?"
"Come here." Mrs Bruno grabbed his strong arm and led him to her office.
+++++

Mrs Kate Bruno is a White American and widow in her late thirties. Her husband had died the previous year. He was shot by armed robbers, leaving the young lady behind with no kids. After that she had been managing the two supermarkets her husband willed to her.

Last month her assistant Mr Green resigned and that was when she employed Ekene as her assistant.
+++++

"What the f*ck is going on? Why drag me in like this?" Ekene asked her immediately they got to her office. She closed the door behind them.

"Well Josh ain't happy with us". Mrs Bruno began but Ekene interrupted her.

"How do you mean he ain't happy with us? What for?" He paced around the wide office.

"Are you gon' allow me explain this shit or not? Remember, I'm still your boss?" She asked looking mean. She was surprised with herself for sounding like that.

"I'm sorry ma'am", He apologized plainly, scratching his head.

"Don't fucking call me that again!" she demanded playfully and continued.

"Like I said earlier. Josh ain't happy with you or me. Because you came out of the blue and got all he had ever wanted; all he had been working hard to get since the last year". She paused and looked at him expecting a comment from him before she continued.

"And what are those things he wanted that I got?" Ekene finally enquired.

"Your position and me", she continued. "He had always wanted to be my assistant even when Mr Green was here. So when Green retired he believed he was gonna be the next assistant manager. But unfortunately for him, you came. Secondly, He wanted us to be close". She paused, ran her fingers through her hair and continued.

"He started making advances towards me few months after my husband's burial. He approached me few months ago and poured out his feelings for me. He wanted us to be together. I told him I wasn't interested and he didn't stop till you came. I never liked him, he has a shady character. So he must be feeling bad seeing us together and how close we are. He'd think we have something going". She smiled.

Ekene sprawled out on the office floor at her words. He looked perturbed. He had one hand to his head and seemed lost in his own thoughts.

"Damn! He must be feeling gyped. I really need to talk to him. I know the feeling". He finally spoke. But Kate was against the idea.

"Oh! Please, Don't do that. That's a screwy idea. It'll only escalate issues". She begged.

"Nah. Nah, nah. I don't think so. I need to tell him there's nothing going on between us. That nigg* can't be hating on me for no reason. You understand?" He was already on his feet.

"I'm gon' go in there and I'm gon' talk to him like a brother he is and we're gon' be cool. You don't have to worry about any shit. I got this".

"Touché". She gave up and decided to let him do as he pleased.

He went to Josh's office but he wasn't around. The secretary informed him that Josh had gone to the bank to deposit some cash. He left.

"I'll probably talk to him next time".

To be continued ...

Next episode drops on Wednesday

Valentine C. Azuka
Valcee [Honest Pen]
©2020
Re: 7 DAYS (the Past Came Haunting) S01 by 1Valcee1(m): 8:21pm On Aug 26, 2020
7 DAYS (The Past Came Haunting) S03

- Ikise Atabang

EPISODE 02

5348 Arlington street, Philadelphia.
USA
Tuesday.
7:43 PM

Val
++++++++++++++++++++++

"How was your first day at work huh?" Shirley, my American lover asked me amidst kissing. Her lips tasted like strawberry.

"First day at work, huh? I'm still under training and I'm yet to obtain my citizenship. I'm only following Roy around for now". I murmured breaking away from the kiss.

I caressed her dark hair with both hands and wondered how someone would be that pretty, sexy and easy going at the same time. I was never going to naturalize as a US citizen.

Major had already told me that. I'd be going back to Nigeria soon. Yeah, I needed to go see my mother and Amaka who I haven't seen for seven years.
+++++

I met Shirley two months earlier at a fruit shop where she sells fruits. I still recall how beautiful and hot she was looking that evening. She had this seductive smile on her face and she was staring directly into my eyes when she asked me what I wanted to buy.

"Apples, please" I said pointing at the apples in the basket on display.

"Red or green ones, handsome?" She asked again stroking her long dark hair which was resting on her boobs. She wore a red T-shirt and none of the three buttons were buttoned up exposing her cleavage. I swallowed hard.

"I ... I ... actually I'd wanted the green ones but seeing these red ones, I think I'd love to have a taste." I replied in a flirty way with my eyes on her boobs.

"Oh! I bet you gon' love them" she said smiling. That was how I became friends with Shirley and within one week we started f*cking each other.

At first I thought we were in love but when I asked her out she rejected and told me she doesn't date. She was only having fun wherever she could and whenever she felt like it. So I continued enjoying, well, as long as it may last.
+++++

"So how close are you to obtaining the citizenship? You know you need that shit." She asked getting up from the bed and breaking the silence after several minutes of love making. She reached for her clothes.

"I'm gon' apply for it next week" I answered not looking at her.

"Shit! Next week? Why do you keep postponing this, you mother f*cker?"

I turned to look at her. She had worn her skirt and was buttoning her shirt.

"You're not spending the night here?" I asked disappointed.

"F*ck you! Assh*le." she wore a smirk accross her face. And with that she slammed the door.

I heard the clip-clops her shoes made as she descended the stairs. I checked my phone which had been on silent and discovered I had three missed calls from the Major. I took a deep breath as I recalled the events that transpired seven years ago.

++++++++++

<<< Seven years ago >>>

Three weeks after a successful surgery on my shoulder I was finally discharged.

The Major came to pick me up at the hospital, I wasn't surprised he came without Amaka. I had only seen her once since I was in the hospital. He wouldn't let our relationship continue again and I understood his decision. I was surprised he forgave me and didn't get me tried for being an accomplice to a kidnapping case.

Instead of taking me home he took me to a hotel. He told me there was something serious we needed to discuss.

The drive from the hospital to the unknown location at the time, was the most scary and awkward drive of my life. At the hotel room he told me that I needed no soothsayer to tell me that he didn't want me to continue being friends with his daughter to which I said yes.

He had decided I leave my school, and Nigeria too. I was shocked. He told me I would be leaving for the States in the next two days to school abroad. He had already processed my paperwork and Visa. Everything had been arranged.

He suggested I study Criminal Justice, my suggestions and brave act during the rescue operation of Amaka made him believe I had a bright future in that field. Which was the truth, I am so inquisitive in nature and always try to know why things happen. In addition to that I love solving critical problems.

As a kid I had always wanted to be a law enforcement agent. I could recall using the name CID as a nickname while in primary school.

"But...Sir hh...how about my mum ...?" I remembered asking him, stammering as I did so in shock.

"I have spoken to your mother." He'd said and I nodded in disbelief wondering what he told my mom that made her accept my traveling to US for my education.

To cut the long story short I ended my relationship with Amaka without having any word with her, The Major made sure we didn't see nor talk and that I changed contacts too, I dropped out from school and abandoned my course.

Two days later, I traveled to US where I got my Bachelor's Degree in Criminal Justice at University of Pennsylvania. It wasn't easy for me as I had to start almost all over again. But after a year I was very happy with my life in the States. I made few friends. I loved the way things were done and their easy lifestyles. All thanks to the Major who had always been like a father to me.

I hadn't talked to Amaka in seven years but I do think about her most times and today was one of those days. I always enquire of her well being from the Major any time we spoke on the phone. But he didn't like discussing about his daughter with me. He'ld only tell me she was doing fine.
+++++

My ringing phone brought me back. I reached for it and it was Shirley calling. She had just left my apartment and I wondered why she was calling. Maybe she's coming back to spend the night.

"Hey! Val I forgot my bra in your room" She said at once when I picked.

"Oh! goddam" I said as my eyes fell on the tiny purple silky bra on my bed. I wondered how those small cups managed to hold her boobs. It must be very difficult for them.

"So are you gonna pick it up tonight huh?" I asked sarcastically.

"Hell no! Tomorrow, dumbas*".

To be continued ...

Valentine C. Azuka
Valcee Honest Pen
©2020
Re: 7 DAYS (the Past Came Haunting) S01 by 1Valcee1(m): 7:26pm On Aug 28, 2020

- Ikise Atabang

EPISODE 03
++++++++++

PortHarcourt, Nigeria.
Wednesday.
11:27 PM

Amaka
++++++++++++++++++++

"Koi!" "koi!!" "Koi!!!" was the only sound heard as I walked down the small path that led to my apartment tired and half drunk. My calcaneus was hurting. I hated high heels and parties. I had to leave earlier when I got tired of the whole thing especially guys asking me for a dance and wanting to know why I came all by myself.

The only thing on my mind was to slide under my blanket, hug my pillow and sleep. It was a cold night.

About thirteen minutes later, I fell, lying with my back to the bed and was about going to sleep when the knocking started ...

"Hello! Oyibo open the door".
"We are here to make you feel alright".
"Baby, we know you are lonely and cold".
"Oyibo, We promise to take it easy on you",
"Open or we break the door!"

I hissed angrily. I recognized their irritating voices, they were the only people that called me "Oyibo" which was meant to be an endearment but I hated it. I hated hearing it from them.

I couldn't fathom why those men wouldn't let me be. I felt like shouting but I knew it wouldn't help. I was the only one left in the entire compound, Others had traveled for the holidays. It was Christmas.

Anytime I walked past the kiosk where they usually smoke and drink, they would always tell me how beautiful, fair and sexy I was, how they would love to make me their wife. Imagine marrying two men. Two drunkards.

"Damn it! These dirty drunkards, So it has gotten to the extent that you now come to my house, eh?" I asked myself walking to and fro in my room, in deep thought of what action to take.

"Shit!" I cursed under my breath and reached for my phone. I didn't know who exactly to call. Finally I decided to call Mike.

"I hope he picks, after turning down his offer this night". I thought.

"The person you are calling is not answering, you can send an ...."

"Fvck you!" I cursed the innocent girl, robot or whatever it was.

I dialled the number for the 4th time, yet no answer. The two men were still at the door trying to break in and they continued telling me what they would do to my beautiful body.

I cursed my friend Lynda for convincing me to attend the silly party, cursed myself for going and for not remembering to lock my front door.

"Baby, blame game is not going to help you" I advised myself and decided to look for an alternative. Then it hit me. The gun!

My dad had given me a gun when I was leaving for my Youth Service, to protect myself should any emergency arise necessitating its use, since I had refused to let my bodyguard accompany me. Though I never wanted it, my dad forced me to learn how to use it.

I went for my box. There it was, at the bottom. It's metal material shone in the reflection of the moon. It was loaded. I kissed it, held it tightly with shaky hands and pointed it to the door.

The door flew open seconds later and the two men appeared unaware of the doom awaiting them.

"Hello baby". I said, switched on the light and smiled when I saw the fearful look on their faces. They didn't see it coming. They were shocked and frightened at the sight of me holding the gun, but composed themselves immediately.

"Hahahaha ... Oyibo, so you think you can scare us with your toy gun abii?" One of them mocked moving close to me.

"Don't move! This is no joke and this is no toy gun" I threatened fiercely. I needed to be in control here. I had a weapon.

"Even if it's a real gun, I bet you can't shoot me, can you? See, your hands are shaking". He said and resumed moving closer to me once more. He was right and I knew it, I couldn't shoot at them. I was not a killer. But I wouldn't let them touch me either.

"I know you want me. The weather is cold, drop the gun baby, come let me keep you warm". He said with a sarcastic smile getting me infuriated.

"Kpoaa!" I fired a shot just about 5 inches above his head and it hit the wall.

"I'm not gonna waste any more bullet. Do you understand what I mean?" I asked crossly.

"Yes ...yes mah". That was all I needed to be in control of the situation. A shot and they were all ears.

"Now turn around and face ... " I was interrupted by my ringing phone. It was Mike calling.
++++++++++

++++++++++

Mike. A Corp member who had fallen in love with Amaka. Though Amaka never gave him the chance to prove his love, he wouldn't give up. He believed she'd come around one day. As long as she was single, he'd keep trying.
+++++

11:54 PM

Mike
++++++++++++++++++++

I came out from the bathroom with the girl I picked at the club, our bodies dripping wet. I carried her to my large bed and was about continuing from where we stopped in the bathroom when my phone beeped, and for no reason I went for it.

It was a true caller notification, I had missed calls from Amaka! She had called ten minutes ago. That was the last person I expected to call me. I smiled, recalled how we danced together at the club, and how I had offered to drive her home but she refused.

"Maybe she changed her mind," I thought. "why on earth would Amaka call me at this hour? She must be feeling cold." I dialed her number. She picked at the second ring.

"Hello Mike, please can you come over to my apartment now. It's very urgent. There's something I need you to ... " She was saying but the line went dead. She spoke very fast and sounded nervous.

I was confused, I called back but she didn't pick. Something seemed wrong.

I decided to drive over to her apartment to check up on her. Even if she was not calling because she wanted me, maybe she was in trouble and needed my help. That would be an opportunity for me to prove my love.

Moreso, I loved seeing her face.

To be continued ...

Do you think Amaka is still in control of the situation in her apartment?

Valentine C. Azuka
Valcee Honest Pen
©2020
Re: 7 DAYS (the Past Came Haunting) S01 by 1Valcee1(m): 6:05pm On Aug 30, 2020

- Ikise Atabang

EPISODE 04
+++++++++++

Thursday.
12:12 AM

Amaka
++++++++++++++++++++

"Amy, are you okay? What's going on here? Wait ... wait ... Is that a gun you're holding? How did you ... Oh! And who are these men?"

Mike asked looking around my room confused.

"I'm fine Mike. These men broke into my house to assault me". I said feeling relieved, At last someone was there to help me.

He rushed to them angrily dealing them heavy blows while yelling at them.

"How dare you think of laying your filthy hands on her?" He came back to me.

"Amy are you sure you are okay? Did they hurt you?" He asked soothingly and I nodded. I felt like hugging him and crying on his shoulder but I didn't want him to see me as a weakling.

"Give me the gun. I'll take it up from here". He said, but I held my gun strongly. I wasn't ready to let go of my saviour yet. Not until the police arrived.

"Just call the police, please". He didn't argue. I watched him dial a number on his phone and report the case. He gave them my address and ended the call".

"Thanks".

"You really got me scared you know? You called me and the call ended abruptly. I called back and you didn't pick up. I thought something happened to you, beautiful. Ah! Thank God you're safe".

He looked directly into my eyes as he spoke making me uncomfortable.

"Oh sorry for that. One of them tried making a smart move while I was on the phone, so I had to end the call to concentrate". He laughed, exposing his white teeth.

"You did great. I'm proud of you. But ... erm the gun ..." He stared at the gun. I understood his curiosity.

"My dad gave it to me. He's a retired soldier". I told him smiling and feeling proud of myself. His eyes widened in amazement and surprise.

"No wonder", He said smiling up at me with a smile that made him look handsome in a way.

"What? What have you got on your mind?" I asked him looking away.

"You're very beautiful and strong ..." A car drove in interrupting him.

"They're here". He said getting up. I was surprised the police were timeous on such short notice. I didn't know of any police station close to my house and I wondered how he pulled it off.

"How did you manage to get them here on time? It's very much unlike our Nigerian police".

"Have you forgotten I'm from here? This is my place and I have friends in the police department. They actually came from their houses, you see, they live around here". He said convincingly.

The two men were handcuffed and taken away. His police friends approached us, they exchanged pleasantries and left after asking me some questions.

I thanked Mike again and he replied by saying "Anything for you Sunshine".

I Hearing him call me 'Sunshine' reminded me of Val and I was peeved. He was the only one that called me that. My countenance changed immediately.

"What's wrong? Did I say something wrong?" Mike asked concerned.

"Nothing, I just need some time alone. My head hurts". I lied placing my palm on my forehead.

"Okay. See ya", I watched him leave and locked my doors. I fell on my bed but sleep was nowhere to be found, instead I found myself occupied with thoughts of Val.

Oh Val!
++++++++++

Arlington street, Philadelphia.
USA.
Thursday.
1:14 PM

Val.
++++++++++++++++++++

"Oh man! you see that ass? I think I'm gonna pull over" Roy said pointing at a white girl across the road.

Roy, a white American, is one of the few American friends I made in school. We graduated together but he'd secured a job as a detective working at the Philadelphia Police Department.

He got his badge the previous month. It was easy for him being a US citizen unlike me. His dad was also the head of the Philadelphia Police Department.

"Dude, Hope you know you're now a policeman with a fuckin' badge" I asked him grinning. He looked at me with questioning eyes.

"Shit! That would be inappropriate" He matched the gear pedal and zoomed off.

"How's Shirley the apple girl doing man?" He finally spoke after few minutes of silence.

"We're cool bro. How about Michelle?"

"Wai ... Wai ... Wai ... you still f*cking that bitch?" He slowed down a bit.

"Yeah. Any problem?" I know he was not going to answer that.

"Oh man I can't believe this, She hasn't left you yet? You are the man".

"I love that b*tch man" I placed both hands on my chest and closed my eyes.

He burst into laughter. "Are you fuckin' kidding me? Please don't say that again".

"What the Bleep do you mean?"

"Hold on bro. You see those niggas?" He said pointing at three black dudes across the street from his window.

"They look suspicious. I-I-I think they're up to something" he said and pulled over.

We watched them from our car. One black guy walked towards two other black guys looking over his shoulder as he did so. He had a small parcel in his hand.

"Holy shit! These mother f*ckers are up to some drug shit". Roy said picking up his gun and giving me one.

The guy approached the two guys and within a second they had exchanged packages and going their different ways. Roy ran after them. I followed.

"PPD! Lemme see your hands!" That was Roy.

One of the guys halted and we thought we had him but just like the movies, the guy took off again running in different directions.

We chased him. He ran into an old mechanic workshop. We split, I held my gun just the way I have seen actors hold theirs in movies, walked slowly and as quiet as I could. Then, came the noise. I turned to my right and there he was.

"Freeze!" I shouted with every authority. He obeyed and raised his hands up in surrender.

"I'm loving this job" I said to myself.
I was about to proudly inform Roy via my walkie-talkie that I had caught our suspect when the guy called me by my name. I was shocked and confused.

"What the hell! Who the f*ck are you?" I asked peering at him.

"Val It's me nah, Chuka. Don't you recognize me? From UNEC." He said with his index finger pointing at his chest, as if that would make me recognize him faster. I did recognize him.

"Chuka ... Chuka ... from Lion King Confraternity?" I asked to confirm my fears.

"Yes" he said nodding his head. I saw the flare of hope in his eyes. Chuka was a member of the Confraternity that made my days in UNEC quite uncomfortable.

But it wasn't every member of the confraternity that wronged me. And Chuka was one of those I didn't have problems with. He was the nicest of them all and he actually made my stay that night I was kidnapped less terrible for me.

"Chuka what are you doing dealing drugs? So you're now selling drugs erh?" I asked him bitterly in a low tone. "This is the States for chrissake!"

"Guy abeg you need to help me out. I was deceived and used. My uncle gave me that package to deliver, I didn't know it contained drugs.

Please pretend you didn't see me. I will leave later on. I don't want to go to jail". I thought hard about it.

Arresting Chuka would be a big win for us especially for my friend Roy who just got his badge.

"Alpha-zero Charley. I lost him, there is no sign of the suspect. Val what's your stand? I repeat what's your stand?" It was Roy.

Chuka looked at me with pleading eyes as I placed the walkie talkie close to my mouth. I had already made my decision.

"This is Val on 187, 10-29. Negative. I repeat, Negative. There's no sign of him". Chuka heaved a sigh of relief.

"Shit! Let's get outta here, man".

I looked at Chuka one more time and ran off to meet Roy.
+++++

On our way back I was just moody. The thought of what had just transpired few minutes ago kept bothering me. I knew I had failed as a law enforcement agent. I just set a suspected criminal free.

What if he's a deadly criminal, an armed robber or a killer? Should I not have realize the number of innocent American lives I must have put in danger by letting him go? What if he eventually gets caught and leaks our little secret?

"What's on your mind huh?" Roy asked when he noticed I hadn't been responding to his chit-chat.

"Nothing serious bro", I adjusted my bum on the seat.

"Thinking about your Nigerian love huh? Amaka?" I nodded. He continued.

"I have told you to forget about her man. Bitch's probably married with two kids and her hubby is probably f*cking her ..."

I didn't let him finish that. "Thunder fire you! Don't f*cking call her that again". I cursed him.

"You dey craze! Okpo. Use ya fuckin' head." He fired back in Nigerian pidgin, imitating me.

He learnt those from me and it was always funny when he used those words. It's always fun hanging out with Roy.

"You need to see your face right now" I laughed, "Don't worry man, one day we're gon' enter Naija and catch some fun".

To be continued ...

Val and Amaka still think about each other.

Valentine C. Azuka
Valcee Honest Pen
©2020
Re: 7 DAYS (the Past Came Haunting) S01 by 1Valcee1(m): 10:15pm On Sep 02, 2020

- Ikise Atabang

EPISODE 05
+++++++++++

Friday
11:13 AM

Ekene
++++++++++++++++++++

I walked into Josh's office confidently with a smiling face to have a man-to-man chat with my brother.

He jerked in surprise when he saw me and tried arranging some of the files and papers on his desk.

I saw a report on his desk. According to the date it was a report on yesterday's sales which had already been submitted to us. But the figures on the one I just saw differed substantially from what they gave us yesterday.

"Hope it's not what I'm thinking" I prayed. That was my first time entering his office.

"Hey man", I greeted him.
"Hey man. What's up?"

"I'm all good, as you can see". I answered, spreading out my arms with a smile.

"What about you?" I asked him, looking him directly into his eyes.
"I'm just cool, bro".

We spoke for some minutes in Igbo language, talked more on our individual background. I got to know he was from Enugu state. We talked about men's stuff especially sports and women.

Then I decided to switch from the topic of our discussion to why I was really there.

"There is this belief that as a Nigerian if you wanna stand firm on both feet in the US, you gotta marry a US citizen. Do you intend doing that?"

His countenance changed immediately. He thought about it for some time before he finally spoke.

"Yeah. Marrying a US citizen comes with a lot of benefits. Is that why you're with her? I mean our boss?" He asked with a mocking smile.

I smiled inwardly, at least my plan worked. I had wanted to let him know I had nothing with our boss without him suspecting she told me about him.

"Oh! Nah. Nah, nah. I'm not with her. There's nothing going on between us". He laughed.

"I don't believe that, man. You two come to work together, go together, live together. Even the position you occupy ..." I felt the pain in his voice.

"I'm just staying at her house temporary. I'd move out soon". She has a big house anyway.

"You gotta be kidding me. You're telling me you guys are not involved romantically?" I nodded.
He continued.

"So what about the job?" He rested his back ogainst his chair and gave it spin.

"I believed she gave it to me because I'm qualified". I responded proudly. I was happy we were getting to understand each other.

"She's beautiful. You know?" He chipped in.

"Do you love her?" I asked him ignoring his comment.

"Do you?" He threw back at me. My phone beeped and I excused myself.

"I got to go man. I left his office with a lot of things on my mind.
+++++

5451 Arlington Street
Josh's Apartment
7:17 PM
++++++++++++++++++++

I was about pressing the door bell when I overheard Josh speaking to someone in Igbo language over the phone.

From the few words I overheard before he ended the call, I could tell he was talking to his Nigerian girlfriend or probably fiancée. He told her not to worry about anything and that he'd be back soon to take good care of her. That he had made enough money.

I pressed the doorbell and waited.
+++

After leaving Josh's office earlier in the day, I had gone back to my office and went through the sales' report. I was right, the figures were different.

Josh was probably stealing from the company. I wondered how long it had been going on. My boss told me earlier that Josh was kinda shady, so I wondered why she made him her chief accountant when she didn't trust him. I decided to pay him a visit and talk with him.
+++

The door opened and Josh appeared. He was taken aback but managed to smile.

"Are you not gonna let me in?" I asked him after our pleasantries.

"Oh you can come in. But everywhere is messed up now". He said moving away for me to enter.

I saw two neatly arranged boxes and some clothes scattered on the floor. I recalled what I overheard him say on the phone.

"Are you preparing for a travel?" I enquired innocently.

"Nah...nah. To where? I was just arranging some stuff before you came.

I knew he was lying, but I nodded. My eyes fell on something else and he followed my eyes.

"Oh that!" He said smiling cheaply and pointing to the wad of cash, "I was too occupied at work today that I didn't go to deposit the cash. So I brought it home so I could deposit it first thing in the morning before work".

"Bro, for how long?" I asked him not buying his explaination.

"What do you mean?" He asked confused.

"For how long have you been stealing from the company? I saw the original report on your desk this morning. It differs from what you gave us, and now this. You're preparing to leave the country with this amount of cash. When are you leaving? Tomorrow? Huh?"

He rushed at me angrily, pushed me to the wall and held me tightly by my shirt.

"How dare you? How dare you interfere in my dealings you mother f*cker? Who the f*ck do you think you are? Huh?"

"Hey bro, calm down. I didn't tell her about the report. I didn't even tell anyone I was coming here. I got you bro. I just want to understand what is going on with you. You can talk to me. No one will hear a shit about what happened here. But you really need to stop doing this. You'll start by returning that cash". I said gasping for air.

His grip on my neck loosened.

To be continued ...

Valentine C. Azuka
Valcee Honest Pen
©2020
Re: 7 DAYS (the Past Came Haunting) S01 by 1Valcee1(m): 7:52pm On Sep 05, 2020

EPISODE 05 II
+++++++++++++

Josh
++++++++++++++++++++

I made the worst mistake of my life today by allowing Ekene set his eyes on the original sales' report.

I had been stealing from the company for the past four years even when Mr Bruno was alive and in charge. But when Ekene came and became so close to Mrs Bruno and occupying the seat as her assistant I knew my stealing days were gradually coming to an end. Because as an Igbo he was definitely going to peruse my work mostly for his own benefit.

I had overheard Mrs Bruno on several occasions telling her former assistant that she didn't trust me. But she never had any reason to investigate me. So if Ekene reports the incident to her, I'd definitely be investigated and my dirty dealings in the past could be exposed.

I couldn't let that happen. I made up my mind to make one last looting and travel the next day. Thank God I lied to Ekene about my state of Origin. I told him I was from Enugu instead of Abia.

After work I had rushed home with all the cash we made for the day, to prepare for my travel the next day. I got a call from my lovely fiancée, Chioma. I told her I would be coming back soon but she would never know how soon. I wanted it to be a surprise.

My doorbell rang almost immediately, I went to the door and beheld the shock of my life, Ekene. The dude was really a pain in the ass. I wondered how long he had been outside. He must have overheard my phone conversation.

So when he confirmed it by asking me how long I had been stealing from the company, I rushed at him angrily.

Then he said he didn't tell Mrs Bruno about the report and my grip on his neck loosened. If what he said was true I wondered, then probably he came for business. And that would be nice. Then came the devil's voice.

"Josh what the Bleep are you thinking? Are you out of your mind? You want to trust this nigga? He's fucking lying and will definitely snitch on you. You heard him, He didn't tell anyone he was coming here. This is your chance to end all these. Just kill him".

"No-no ... I can't do that. I'm not a killer". I protested in my mind.

"There's always a first time. If you let him walk out of here this night, the cops are gon' come knocking on your door the very next minute. Remember your love Chioma. Do you prefer going to jail to being in her arms?"

The devil persisted. The thought of Chioma got me. I spoke to her some minutes ago and promised her I'd be coming home soon.

"Shit!" I muttered under my breath.

"Josh let me help you. I'll need assurance that you're not traveling with this money too". Ekene proposed.

This dude really knew a lot.

"Okay. Erhm ... Ekene, come let me show you something please", I said and took him to my kitchen were I stabbed him to death with my kitchen knife.

I watched him die in his own pool of blood. I looked at my hands stained with blood and wished it was all a dream. Tears rolled down my cheek.

"You've already done it, there's no point shedding crocodile tears. Wash your hands and get rid of the body." I hated the voice but I knew it was right.

I washed my blood-stained hands in the kitchen sink. That would be my last time of using the damn kitchen.

"I'm leaving tonight".

To be continued ...

Valentine C. Azuka
Valcee Honest Pen
©2020

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pearls On Swine / How Can I Turn My Passion For Reading Into A Profitable Business? / Happy New Month - June

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 465
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.