Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,520 members, 7,823,238 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:21 AM

7 DAYS (the Past Came Haunting) S01 - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 7 DAYS (the Past Came Haunting) S01 (1330 Views)

The Haunting Beauty Of Godspower Oshodin’s Poetry Collection / KINGS 3(7 Days Of Chaos) / Ghost Of The Past (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Re: 7 DAYS (the Past Came Haunting) S01 by 1Valcee1(m): 8:10pm On Sep 05, 2020
7 Days (The Past Came Haunting) S03

I could climb up the highest mountain,
and for your sake go down the deepest ocean.
But I could only see in your hands a catapult,
firing out evil bullets in my direction.
- Ikise Atabang

EPISODE 06 I
++++++++++++

Saturday
7:20 AM

Mrs Kate Bruno
++++++++++++++++++++

Yesterday, when Ekene had told me he wanted to pay Josh a visit after work, my suspicions grew. I had seen them talk recently in low tones mostly in their Igbo language and I felt something was wrong.

I decided to follow him, something inside me told me they were up to something. But I just couldn't figure out what it was. I called my driver, Tom and we followed, driving behind him and maintaining quite the distance to avoid being noticed.

I waited for some time inside the car but when I became impatient, I decided to give him a call but Tom said it was a bad idea. I was so furious that I felt like barging into Josh's apartment.

My driver tried to placate me, telling me to exercise patience which I did. But when I could bear it no longer, I stepped out of the car. And Tom followed me.

I peeped through Josh's window and saw him packing his things and arranging his stuff. There was no sign of Ekene. What were they up to? I wondered.

I knocked on the door twice but there was no response so I opened the door. He looked shocked and a bit scared when he saw me at his door. I was yet to enter into the room.

"How could you barge into my house like that? This is my house for chrissake not your fucking office". He had shouted, making me scared.

Thank God I was with Tom. "I'm sorry dear but I knocked". I looked at Tom and he nodded.

"You knocked? Why didn't you use the bell?" He asked still holding his door.

"Oh Heavens! Sorry, I didn't see it", I lied. I actually didn't want to use the door bell.

"Why the Bleep are you here?" He asked looking at Tom.

"Erm...have you seen Ekene? I couldn't reach him".

"Are you really asking me that? You know this is the last place to look for him.

"But that's his car over there. I replied pointing at Ekene's car parked in front of his apartment. He was alarmed and nervous.

"Where the Bleep is Ekene? What are you guys up to?" I was becoming impatient. He looked at me for some seconds and smiled.

"Bursted! Well, there is this Russian girl he usually visits. I suggest you check her room. Her room is on the third floor". A surge of jealousy hit me and I was angry, heart broken and embarrassed at the same time.

I looked down feeling ashamed of myself. Then I saw it, a stain of fresh blood on his feet.

He noticed I was staring at something and followed my gaze. He made to move, but my driver brought out a gun tucked in behind his trousers.

"Don't you dare make a fucking move nigga!" He shouted aiming at him.

I was glad he came with me. I called the police immediately, my body shaking violently and my fingers unsteady ...

The police apprehended him and it was then he made a confession that broke me and shattered my heart into pieces.

He'd told the Police that it was self defense, he and Ekene were stealing from the company but had a misunderstanding last night, and Ekene wanted to stab him but he was smarter and lucky enough to defend himself.

Somehow I felt Josh was lying. Ekene couldn't be part of this, he couldn't be stealing from me. I trusted him or maybe my love for him was clouding my judgement, thus making it difficult for me to accept reality. He was a Nigerian for goodness sake.

My sister had warned me about him, and I had refused to listen to her.

She had hated him.
+++++

7:09 AM

Val
++++++++++++++++++++

"PPD" Roy said at once bringing out his badge as we reached the door. The man at the entrance raised the yellow tape in front of the door, we bent and walked in under it.

There were so many investigating officers in the room. There were forensic scientistst and photographers taking pictures of almost everything.

There had been a murder case and the suspect was arrested last night but he claimed it was self defense.

According to his story, they were both stealing from the company, but had a misunderstanding last night and Ekene the deceased tried to stab him and he retaliated resulting to his death.

Roy was one of the officers in the case and as usual he called me to accompany him. I was very much interested in the investigation when I heard that both the victim and the suspect were Nigerians and Igbos too.

"Hey good morning. I'm Roy, PPD". Roy said approaching the detective who seemed to be in charge of the investigation.

"I'm detective Clare. The head ..." She was saying but Roy cut her short.

"I know who you are" He said smiling, "Eerhm this is my friend, Val ..." He introduced me.

"It's nice meeting you. Please I want you guys to search everywhere possible and look for anything that can help us with the investigation". She instructed. And we both nodded.

"Please ma'am, Can I speak with Mrs Bruno? I'd love to ask her some questions". I requested. She looked at me thoughtfully for a while.

"Sure. She's right there. But I don't think she'd wanna talk to you".

"Lemme try", I stared at the woman who seemed to be lost in thought. She turned and met my gaze. I smiled at her as I approached her.

To be continued ...

Valentine C. Azuka
Valcee Honest Pen
©2020
Re: 7 DAYS (the Past Came Haunting) S01 by 1Valcee1(m): 8:20pm On Sep 06, 2020

EPISODE 06 II
+++++++++++++

Continued from last episode

"Good morning ma'am. I'm Val. I'm with the PPD".

"I have told them everything I know. I don't have anything to say to you".

"Please Ma'am, I'm really interested in this case".
"Why?" She asked looking away.

"Because I'm Nigerian and an Igbo too". She looked at me surprised. Her expression changed. She looked away thoughtfully for some seconds before speaking.

"Why are you guys like this? Why are you guys so fucking cunning and deceitful? Why can't you be trusted?" She asked, really upset.

"May I sit with you?" I requested, signaling to the space beside her.

"Please sit". I sat down beside her and thought about what to say to her.

"We're not really like that ma'am. There are still good Nigerians". I finally spoke.

"I trusted Ekene. I can't believe he was working with that bastard called Josh behind my back. Somehow I feel these are my faults," She started crying and
I offered her a box of wipes and tried consoling her.

I urged her to tell me what happened and she did. She told me everything including the part she hid from the police.

I got to know from her that she loved Ekene. I knew what it felt like to be betrayed by someone you love
+++++

After listening to Mrs Bruno narrate her story, I had a feeling that Josh might be lying just like Mrs Bruno believed. She wiped her tears, looked me in the eyes and asked:

"You! What do you think? Do you think Ekene was part of this or do you think that idiot Josh is lying?" I looked at her thoughtfully for a while then replied.

"Urhm ... Mrs Bruno ..."

"Just call me Kate".

"Okay. Kate, my instinct is telling me that Josh lied. That mother fucker ain't saying no truth. Ekene must have found something incriminating and probably confronted him about it as a brother, which led to his death".

"Yes ... yes ... I thought as much, it must be it ... it could be what had happened. Ekene couldn't ..."

"I'm sorry Mrs... I mean Kate, I'm sorry Kate. But this isn't about what we think or what we want. It's all about evidence. We don't have any proof to support our claim yet".

She nodded, then I thought:

"If we're actually right about Ekene, which I believe we are, I would have recorded my conversation with Josh, if I were to be in Ekene's shoes".

I excused myself from Mrs Bruno and left looking for detective Clare, the officer in charge of the case. I saw her talking to a woman whom I presumed was one of Josh's neighbour. I requested to speak with her.

"I need to see Ekene's phone" I asked imediately I had her attention.

"The deceased?" She asked with a confused look.

"Yes ma'am".

"Is that necessary?" She asked surprised.

"Well I just feel I might find something like a recording or something that could help, who knows?"

"Oh! You too, You believe Josh lied? You think it's not self defense but murder?"

"Yes ma'am and Mrs Bruno too". I replied convincingly.

"Well, that's the reason I'm here. Come with me".

We took the phone to the forensic lab where it was accessed and a recording was found. It was made at the exact time the incident was pegged to have happened.

We played the recording having such high hopes, and it was discovered that Mrs Bruno and I were right. Everyone was happy for me on account of the discovery especially detective Clare, my friend, Roy and Mrs Bruno.
+++++

Mrs Kate Bruno
++++++++++++++++++++

I really felt comfortable talking to Val, the officer I just met. I told him everything including what I had deliberately failed to mention to the others. I didn't know why I confided in him even, though he had told me he was Nigerian and an Igbo.

Was it because he was a cop or was there something else?

So when the investigation was rounded off successfully, thanks to him. I had to collect his contact so we could be in touch, moreso I wanted to find out myself why I felt so comfortable talking with him.

To be continued ...

Valentine C Azuka
Valcee [Honest Pen]
Re: 7 DAYS (the Past Came Haunting) S01 by 1Valcee1(m): 8:22pm On Sep 06, 2020

EPISODE 07
++++++++++

Sunday
6:10 AM

Val
++++++++++++++++++++

My ringing phone woke me up from my slumber. I propped myself up with pillows on my soft mattress and brooded. It must be Kate, She had proposed I join her in her morning workout. I picked up.

"Hey ... morning. I'll meet you in ten minutes".

I did some push ups, dressed in my sports outfit and jogged off.
+++++

About an hour and thirty minutes later, we stopped in front of her house and I bade her goodbye but she remained rooted to the spot, as if surprised. She had this questioning look on her face.

"Val, won't you come inside and have some coffee?"

"Oh ...no ... no. I don't like coffee. Thanks". I responded with a smile.

"You gotta be kidding me. Water then?" She insisted.

"Uurm ... Kate. Thanks, but I just want to get home and take a shower", I replied feeling bad for turning down her offer for the second time.

"Okay. What about I buy you a drink this evening?" She asked again hopefully. I looked at the beautiful white American woman before me thoughtfully. She had been through a lot and maybe really needed someone to talk to.

"It's not right to turn down a beautiful woman's request, Val", she added with a convincing smile. She was right. I can't refuse this one.

"Great. That'd be great. I'll have some drinks with you". I replied rubbing my palms.

"Okay then, 7 PM".
+++++

6:48 PM
++++++++++++++++++++

It was few minutes to 7 PM and I was getting ready for my outing with Kate when a call came in. It was Roy.

"Hope he ain't calling for a hangout" I thought as I picked up the call.

"Hey buddy!" He shouted as soon as we were connected.

"Hey man.What's up with you?"

"I'm all cool... very cool". He sounded excited.

"Alright" I put my phone on speaker as I combed my hair.

"Uurhm ... I'm going on a dinner date ..."

"Okay ..." There's nothing special about that. He did that often. And it always ended with the girl going back home with him to warm his bed.

"Guess who I'm going with" I wasn't seeing his face but I was sure he wore a smile across his face.

"I don't know man. Why don't you just spill it out?"
"Clare!" He shouted with a chuckle.

"Wait ... wait. You gotta be kidding me. You mean detective Clare?" I asked though I knew it was her he was referring to.

"Yeah man. She accepted to go out with me right after she turned down your proposal, you loser!" He mocked me.

I recalled meeting Clare after the investigation and requesting to buy her some drinks but she had declined.

"I'm gonna kick your sorry ass Roy! Woman snatcher!"
"Loser!" He fired back in laughter. I ended the call.

"Well, You have a date with a beautiful woman too". I told my reflection in the mirror.

I wore a white shirt on a blue jean trouser with a pair of matching blue shoes and left.
+++++

About an hour later. I was sitting across the table from Kate. She was really fun to be with. We talked a lot about many things. I got to know she was only married for three years with no kids. She told me her elder sister hated Nigerians with passion.

According to her, Nigerians were cheats and swindlers. But on her end, she believed there were many good Nigerians, Ekene and I proved that to be true. She began sobbing, saying in between tears, "I loved him ... he was my only friend". I held her shoulder and consoled her as she rested her head on my shoulder.

"I'm here for you Kate, I'm your friend now". I liked the smell of her hair and the feel of it against my neck. She lifted her head, stared me in the eyes and muttered,

"Thanks Val" I was stroking her hair still. Her head moved closer and closer to mine, till her lips found mine. I couldn't resist it. Then my phone rang jolting me back from my reverie. It was the Major, we hadn't spoken for a while.

"I'm sorry Kate. I shouldn't have ..." I tried apologizing for what had just happened but she shushed me.

"Shhh ... how about you keep shut and answer your goddamn phone, huh?"

I excused myself and went ahead to take the call from the Major. I came back to my seat looking downcast. Kate noticed and enquired. I told her.

"That was my dad. He wants me back in Nigeria in the next two months to take over his business. I don't feel like going, I love it here". I said with a sad face.

The Major wanted me back. He had offered me a job to be the Chief security officer for his friend's son who according to him, was the Deputy Governor of Lagos State and running for second tenure. It's really a nice job offer. What more, my mum too had been on my neck to come home and get a wife.

"So what are you gonna do? Are you going back?" She asked with a concerned look.

"Honestly I really don't know what I'm gonna do yet. My head hurts, I'm sorry Kate, but I need to go now". She stood up at once.

"Let me drive you home then", she offered.

That was how we found ourselves on my bed about an hour later.

"Oh! That was awesome, Val. This is the first time since my husband". I think we have a connection. How I wish you could stay here with me".

I smiled and kissed her softly.

"Me too".

I thought about the security job offer with a good pay waiting for me in Nigeria, my mum and Amaka. Oh how I really do miss her! What if she was married? I thought.

The Major had refused to discuss about her with me.

I looked at the beautiful white woman sleeping beside me. Staying with her and naturalizing in US wouldn't be a bad idea. I made up my mind at that moment, kissed her forehead and surrendered to the irresistible power of sleep.

To be continued ...

Would Val decline the Major's order of going back to Nigeria, for a wonderful job and miss the opportunity of seeing his  love Amaka??

Watch out for season 4

Valentine C. Azuka
Valcee Honest Pen
©2020

(1) (2) (Reply)

Life Of A BTC Chairman - Fictional Dairy Of A Crytpo Hustler / The Legend Of Chu Qiao: Division 11’s Princess Agent / How Can I Turn My Passion For Reading Into A Profitable Business?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.