Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,650 members, 7,823,844 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:23 PM

Impeaching Obaseki Is Not An Option - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Impeaching Obaseki Is Not An Option (988 Views)

Another Court Restrains Rivers Assembly, Others From Impeaching Fubara / Ovie Omo-Agege: How I Stopped Saraki, Others From Impeaching Buhari / Panel’s Report On Simon Achuba Shunned By Kogi Lawmakers Before Impeaching Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Impeaching Obaseki Is Not An Option by SadiqBabaSani: 1:01pm On Aug 06, 2020
Below is the process for impeaching a sitting Nigerian Governor.

Does Oshiomole have the time frame?

Let them Politicians Continue Doing their useless games, non of them have the interest of the masses at heart.

IMPEACHING A GOVERNOR
Impeaching a sitting Governor of a State in Nigeria is a very serious matter. It is serious not simply because it amounts to effectively ‘sacking’ the number one citizen of the State in question, but also because it amounts to reversing the decision of a majority of the citizens of that State, who have placed the Governor in that office for a stated term by voting for the Governor in the Gubernatorial elections of that State.

Due to the severity of the issue, the process for impeaching a Governor is pretty stringent and is contained in the one document which has a very strict process and procedure for amendment- The Nigerian Constitution. The process for impeaching a Governor of a State in Nigeria is contained in Section 188 of the 1999 Constitution. In Nigeria, there have been a number of successful impeachments of State Governors since 1999.

Steps for impeaching the Governor of a State in Nigeria:

Step 1

A notice of any allegation in writing alleging gross misconduct on the part of the Governor. This notice must be signed by not less than one-third of the members of the State House of Assembly is presented to the Speaker of the State House of Assembly.

(They May have the required Number of signatories)

* Gross misconduct is defined by the Constitution as ‘…a grave violation or breach of the provisions of this Constitution or a misconduct of such nature as amounts in the opinion of the National Assembly to gross misconduct.’

Step 2

The Speaker of the State House of Assembly must within 7 days, serve the Governor of the State and each member of the State House of Assembly with a copy of the notice of allegation.

Step 3

The Governor has a right of reply (he/she does not have to reply however), and any such statement in reply to the allegation must be served on each member of the State House of Assembly.

Step 4

Within 14 days of the presentation of the notice to the Speaker of the State House of Assembly, the State House of Assembly shall resolve by motion without any debate whether or not the allegation shall be investigated. This motion needs to be passed by at least two-thirds majority of all members of the State House of Assembly.

(Once Again they have the number but don't have the time)

Step 5

If the motion fails to reach the required majority, the process immediately stops, and no further action will be taken. However, if the required majority is obtained and the motion is passed, then the Speaker of the State House of Assembly will within 7 days of the passing of the motion, request the Chief Judge of the State to appoint a Panel of seven persons who in his opinion are of unquestionable integrity to investigate the allegations. The members of the Panel cannot be members of any public service, legislative house or political party.

Step 6

The Panel is to report its findings within three months of being appointed. The findings will be reported to the State House of Assembly. During the proceedings of the Panel, the Governor shall have a right to defend himself, and shall also have the right to be defended by a legal practitioner of his/her choice.

(Who are the likely Panelists)

Step 7

Where the Panel reports that the allegation has not been proven, there will be no further action. However, if the report is that the allegation against the Governor has been proven, then the State House of Assembly will consider the report, and a resolution for the adoption of the report shall be moved.

Step 8

For the resolution to be adopted, it must be supported by not less than two-thirds majority of all the member the State House of Assembly. Once adopted the Governor shall stand removed from office as from the date of the adoption of the report.

NB: Time Frame Refers to August September Ending...

Between They will have to impeach both Obaseki ad Shuaibu
Re: Impeaching Obaseki Is Not An Option by Aaronzy: 1:06pm On Aug 06, 2020
By the time APC finish with Obaseki
Na him go carry him two legs dey run for Benin dey shout "Edo na Lagos"

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Impeaching Obaseki Is Not An Option by helinues: 1:06pm On Aug 06, 2020
I really don't get it..

They just want to put Edo state in turmoil

1 Like

Re: Impeaching Obaseki Is Not An Option by Nobody: 1:15pm On Aug 06, 2020
helinues:
I really don't get it..

They just want to put Edo state in turmoil
That's an end most people are not seeing. A winner will be declared after September 19th, not before; and definitely not against the wish of the majority of Edolites who I see right now in the assembly complex fighting to defend their governor. Oshiomole will eventually lose his goodwill, by causing chaos in Edo.

4 Likes

Re: Impeaching Obaseki Is Not An Option by IamWonderful: 1:22pm On Aug 06, 2020
ogbeking:

That's an end most people are not seeing. A winner will be declared after September 19th, not before; and definitely not against the wish of the majority of Edolites who I see right now in the assembly complex fighting to defend their governor. Oshiomole will eventually lose his goodwill, by causing chaos in Edo.
As the matter of fact what has goodwill done for Ihedioha? Obaseki drew the first blood, not inaugurating 14 lawmakers was a great mistake.

3 Likes

Re: Impeaching Obaseki Is Not An Option by olaboy33(m): 1:48pm On Aug 06, 2020
Edo House of Assembly as it stands today.

APC: 19

PDP: 5

Though I doubt if impeachment is in the plans, but if it is, Obaseki is a goner.
Re: Impeaching Obaseki Is Not An Option by millhouse: 1:49pm On Aug 06, 2020
IamWonderful:
As the matter of fact what has goodwill done for Ihedioha? Obaseki drew the first blood, not inaugurating 14 lawmakers was a great mistake.
sept 19 is just 3 1/2 weeks away ... why can’t Oshiomhole and his partner in crime Izeyamu wait for the elections to oust the governor than this brazen impeachment move , if they are very sure of themselves with the electorates .

1 Like

Re: Impeaching Obaseki Is Not An Option by IamWonderful: 2:01pm On Aug 06, 2020
millhouse:
sept 19 is just 3 1/2 weeks away ... why can’t Oshiomhole and his partner in crime Izeyamu wait for the elections to oust the governor than this brazen impeachment move , if they are very sure of themselves with the electorates .
Disgracing him earlier is better, allowing him to sit on the affairs of the state during election can help him, he was lawless with impunity, he thinks there wouldn't be retributions, he outsmarted and overplayed himself.
Re: Impeaching Obaseki Is Not An Option by seanfer(m): 2:20pm On Aug 06, 2020
millhouse:

What’s playing out in Edo state is beyond September 19. Today is 6 and that means there is more than 5 weeks for anything to happen. Don’t be surprised that those fighting the Governor will do everything to frustrate him. As at this morning only 5 members of the House are still supporting the Governor from 10 as at Monday.
Those laying siege at the assembly complex can do that for how many days? We’ve seen how a Governor was impeached in this country in less than 3 weeks. And it took the courts more than 6 months before they gave ruling that the impeachment was illegal. But the perpetrators has already achieved their aims. I won’t be happy if they do that to Obaseki because he won’t be eligible to stand for the upcoming election. I don’t like the Governor but those fighting him are now making someone like me to start having soft heart towards him. But can he win the fight ahead?
Interesting times ahead.

1 Like

Re: Impeaching Obaseki Is Not An Option by raumdeuter: 2:25pm On Aug 06, 2020
millhouse:

So what of the 19 constituencies that do not have a representation in the House of Assembly?

Let us aassume it was Buhari that refused to inaugurate 25 out of 36 governors or 70 out of the HOA members, what will you say

1 Like

Re: Impeaching Obaseki Is Not An Option by inforesource: 4:48pm On Aug 06, 2020
Why impeachment? I thought Osho baba said the election will be walkover? Where is his puppet sef?
Re: Impeaching Obaseki Is Not An Option by SpecialAdviser(m): 5:15pm On Aug 06, 2020
seanfer:

What’s playing out in Edo state is beyond September 19. Today is 6 and that means there is more than 5 weeks for anything to happen. Don’t be surprised that those fighting the Governor will do everything to frustrate him. As at this morning only 5 members of the House are still supporting the Governor from 10 as at Monday.
Those laying siege at the assembly complex can do that for how many days? We’ve seen how a Governor was impeached in this country in less than 3 weeks. And it took the courts more than 6 months before they gave ruling that the impeachment was illegal. But the perpetrators has already achieved their aims. I won’t be happy if they do that to Obaseki because he won’t be eligible to stand for the upcoming election. I don’t like the Governor but those fighting him are now making someone like me to start having soft heart towards him. But can he win the fight ahead?
Interesting times ahead.

I do not really care much who wins but my sympathy towards Obaseki has always being Edo god fatherism. Mark my word, should Ize Iyamu win, no tangible development will happen in Edo with the amount of money spent in this political fight.

Do you know how much it takes to buy over these legislators ?? What do you think convinced them to abandon where they belonged before? Simply MONEY. Why can't Oshiomole allow the election in peace? This attitude is really annoying.

1 Like

Re: Impeaching Obaseki Is Not An Option by seanfer(m): 5:26pm On Aug 06, 2020
SpecialAdviser:

I do not really care much who wins but my sympathy towards Obaseki has always being Edo god fatherism. Mark my word, should Ize Iyamu win, no tangible development will happen in Edo with the amount of money spent in this political fight.

Do you know how much it takes to buy over these legislators ?? What do you think convinced them to abandon where they belonged before? Simply MONEY. Why can't Oshiomole allow the election in peace? This attitude is really annoying.

Now you’re making it look like Obaseki didn’t spend a dime before getting the PDP ticket with his Deputy after decamping to the party1 week before the primary.
They’re all the same. Both Obaseki and his Deputy are what they’re politically thanks Oshiomhole. When he was supporting them in 2016 they didn’t shout No To Godfatherism.
Our politicians are the same. Obaseki is fighting for himself also just using the Godfatherism as a saving face.

1 Like

Re: Impeaching Obaseki Is Not An Option by FirstSon01: 5:36pm On Aug 06, 2020
IamWonderful:

Those members refused to be inaugurated in loyalty to Oshiomole. Nor be today the problem start.
Re: Impeaching Obaseki Is Not An Option by SpecialAdviser(m): 5:43pm On Aug 06, 2020
seanfer:

Now you’re making it look like Obaseki didn’t spend a dime before getting the PDP ticket with his Deputy after decamping to the party1 week before the primary.
They’re all the same. Both Obaseki and his Deputy are what they’re politically thanks Oshiomhole. When he was supporting them in 2016 they didn’t shout No To Godfatherism.
Our politicians are the same. Obaseki is fighting for himself also just using the Godfatherism as a saving face.

I am not saying he didn't spend. Whatever he spends in this comes from the fact that Oshiomole is bringing up a fight. Both parties will spend and whoever wins recoups the money from the treasury. So bad. Question is " Why is Oshiomole putting up these fights about just 2 months or less to the election? Why not allow peace to reign. If not for anything, let it be for the sake of Edolites. Really bad.

(1) (Reply)

Oba Of Benin Asked To Call Hosa Okunbo To Order / PDP Removes Hon Shola Adedoyin As Leader Of The Party / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.