Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,477 members, 7,865,016 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 10:52 AM

Sporting De Gijon Vs Barcelona [1 - 1] On 12th February 2011 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Sporting De Gijon Vs Barcelona [1 - 1] On 12th February 2011 (840 Views)

Poll: Who Wins This Match?

Sporting De Gijon: 20% (1 vote)
Barcelona: 20% (1 vote)
Draw: 60% (3 votes)
This poll has ended

Real Madrid Vs Sporting Gijon (3 - 1) On 14th April 2012 / Barcelona Vs Sporting Gijon (3 - 1) On March 3rd 2012 / Sporting Gijon Vs Real Madrid (0 - 3) On Sat 3rd December 2011 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sporting De Gijon Vs Barcelona [1 - 1] On 12th February 2011 by mukina2: 12:23pm On Feb 12, 2011
No Worries Yet

Sporting de Gijon are one of nine teams involved in an extremely congested battle against the drop. The foot of the Primera Division sees a large group of sides clustered around the 20 point mark, and only Malaga are guaranteed to be in the relegation zone come the end of the weekend. Los Sportinguistas could easily get sucked into danger, particularly as they are unlikely to take anything from Barcelona on Saturday.

The form of Manuel Preciado’s side has actually been pretty good in recent times. January proved a fruitful month for the Asturian outfit, who picked up three successive wins before eventually losing last weekend away to Athletic Bilbao.

“Losing in San Mames is not a trauma,” the coach explained after the game, relatively satisfied with what he saw from his team, who had been reduced to 10 men when Gregory Arnolin was dismissed with less than 20 minutes gone. “We know our challenge and we will fight to the death in it.”

If Sporting can maintain a decent level over the course of the next couple of months, they’ll be in excellent shape to win safety. Many of the league’s best sides are to be faced in the immediate future, so they’ll rely on their form in the closing weeks of the campaign to see them home.

Records Still Tumbling
Barcelona broke yet another record last weekend, defeating Atletico Madrid to set a new mark for consecutive victories in the Primera Division. Pep Guardiola’s side have now won their last 16 matches and remain on course for a quite breathtaking campaign. The style continues to flow as readily as the wins – of those 16 matches, on all but three occasions they’ve mustered at least three goals.

Guardiola is not a coach who will allow his team to relax, and he will doubtless point out the difficulty that Sporting gave Barca at Camp Nou earlier this season. La Blaugrana struggled to a 1-0 victory on that occasion, though it’s fair to say their level has risen a number of gears since then.

Lionel Messi remains the main driving force, as Atleti learned last weekend when the Argentine scored a terrific hat-trick at Camp Nou, but the team as a whole is playing impressively.

Arguably the best news Barca have received over the course of the last seven days comes away from the field, with Guardiola having successfully negotiated terms of a new contract. The Barca icon is now set to sign until the end of 2012 on February 22, and should he complete that term he will become the fourth longest serving manager in the club’s history.

La Blaugrana as a unit are as strong as ever and have the chance to once again go 10 points clear of Real Madrid if they pick up maximum points on Saturday. While outlasting their great rivals is the primary objective, there are all kinds of sub-goals being chased by this remarkable side, including the attainment of 100 points.

TEAM NEWS

Sporting
Alberto Lora and Gregory Arnolin are both suspended, so coach Manuel Preciado is hopeful that Sebastian Eguren shakes off a shoulder knock to play. The tactician has barely touched his starting XI in recent weeks, so minimal changes were expected.

Barcelona
Jeffren and Carles Puyol are the only two absentees for Barca, who have seen all their internationals return in a fit state.

Match
Re: Sporting De Gijon Vs Barcelona [1 - 1] On 12th February 2011 by ogazi007(m): 12:27pm On Feb 12, 2011
Its going to be difficult,but we shall run away with the three points.
Re: Sporting De Gijon Vs Barcelona [1 - 1] On 12th February 2011 by Pharoh: 1:05pm On Feb 12, 2011
I think barca should nick this one . . the opposition should be from sevilla, Villarreal, valencia, bibao, espanyol and A. Madrid.

Except barca wants to rest some key players for the trip to london or try to wrap it up in the first half and take away the key players.

Wrapping it up in the first half is not always easy as we can see from some of the past matches . . . hope the key players do not get injured before the London trip.
Re: Sporting De Gijon Vs Barcelona [1 - 1] On 12th February 2011 by medjai(m): 9:49pm On Feb 12, 2011
Villaaaaaaaaaa. . . against his old club
Re: Sporting De Gijon Vs Barcelona [1 - 1] On 12th February 2011 by AjanleKoko: 10:00pm On Feb 12, 2011
What a game! Sporting really gave it to us. Thank heavens we didn't give up all three points.
La Liga is going to get dangerously poised now for the big boys. I'm sure Real will give no quarter against Espanyol, and possibly mop up the 2 points opportunity.
I hope the boys will learn their lessons from this game. Though I think we were weaker at the back and in defensive midfield, but it was good that Masch and Milito got the runout. A nice tonic to ginger the boys against the Gunners. Expect a cracker at the Emirates.
Re: Sporting De Gijon Vs Barcelona [1 - 1] On 12th February 2011 by RuuDie(m): 10:09pm On Feb 12, 2011
& this is the difference between Barca & Real Madrid --- if it was Madrid, this probably woulda been all 3 points lost.
Re: Sporting De Gijon Vs Barcelona [1 - 1] On 12th February 2011 by medjai(m): 10:11pm On Feb 12, 2011
Better than a loss. I didnt expect that it would be Sporting of all teams that would end our winning streak. We always play badly after breaks.
Re: Sporting De Gijon Vs Barcelona [1 - 1] On 12th February 2011 by Pharoh: 10:19pm On Feb 12, 2011
RuuDie:

& this is the difference between Barca & Real Madrid --- if it was Madrid, this probably woulda been all 3 points lost.

I don't know what you hatred for madrid is or is it ronaldo or maybe Mourinho . . you should be very worried about your useless team that might not be going to europe next season. cheesy

They are being violated right now by small racing santandar  . . . when did every t d & h start defeating mighty sevilla.  grin

It is already 2 goals up and you are here talking about madrid that will even win their match away from home 2moro. grin

This is an absolute disgrace, just hide your head in shame and don't comment on your thread anymore lol. grin
Re: Sporting De Gijon Vs Barcelona [1 - 1] On 12th February 2011 by Ihengote: 10:21pm On Feb 12, 2011
Barcelona will always come back,
Re: Sporting De Gijon Vs Barcelona [1 - 1] On 12th February 2011 by mamagee3(f): 10:22pm On Feb 12, 2011
Breaking News:

Barcelona draws with sporting gikon and nobody remembers that the world's best player is in the team but as soon as barcelona notches a victory, messi must be remembered as the hero of the team.

What a freaking joke! barca fans.
Re: Sporting De Gijon Vs Barcelona [1 - 1] On 12th February 2011 by Pharoh: 10:24pm On Feb 12, 2011
AjanleKoko:

What a game! Sporting really gave it to us. Thank heavens we didn't give up all three points.
La Liga is going to get dangerously poised now for the big boys. I'm sure Real will give no quarter against Espanyol, and possibly mop up the 2 points opportunity.
I hope the boys will learn their lessons from this game. Though I think we were weaker at the back and in defensive midfield, but it was good that Masch and Milito got the runout. A nice tonic to ginger the boys against the Gunners. Expect a cracker at the Emirates.

Messi gave too much energy in their match against portugal and i guess maybe they have their eyes on arsenal and there is no big deal dropping some points right now.

Even mourinho is not in spain right now . . he is in france watching lyon's league match, espanyol is fighting for europe so i don't think madrid will find it easy. They have been very impressive this season and our focus is mostly towards the champions league match and not 2moro   match  but we will surely try to win that.
Re: Sporting De Gijon Vs Barcelona [1 - 1] On 12th February 2011 by AjanleKoko: 10:26pm On Feb 12, 2011
RuuDie:

Don't say so.
Different game, different opposition, a different scenario might play out. Plus, they have a more improved forward line now, with Adebayor. We all think he's silly, but he does have a knack for scoring goals.
We were playing away. I don't expect every single team to sit back and watch us thunk them at their house all season.
If I may say so, I like the way this season is playing out. We are going to be poised for some dangerous matches this season away - RM, Villareal, Valencia, not to say the least. Then of course, there is this little matter of a possible three teams from England remaining in CL this season, even if we do see off the Arsenal. Better we drop points now, and expose our weaknesses. The fringe players had better man up and come to the party, especially on tough occasions like this. This is the smallest group we've ever campaigned with.
Re: Sporting De Gijon Vs Barcelona [1 - 1] On 12th February 2011 by Pharoh: 10:33pm On Feb 12, 2011
mama-gee:

Breaking News:

Barcelona draws with sporting gikon and nobody remembers that the world's best player is in the team but as soon as barcelona notches a victory, messi must be remembered as the hero of the team.

It is mostly the media that is pushing this fact but they have both come out to say that they are not competing with each other. the sad thing about it now is that the football fans have been infected with this bug right now but i hope that will be cured at the end of the season. Messi and ronaldo are both good players, they are very much important for their teams when the chips are down.
Re: Sporting De Gijon Vs Barcelona [1 - 1] On 12th February 2011 by fredoooooo: 11:25pm On Feb 12, 2011
Arsenal should beware of this team that draw their match today , Barcelona is coming full force to beat Arsenal on wednesday , just mark it ,
Re: Sporting De Gijon Vs Barcelona [1 - 1] On 12th February 2011 by usbcable(m): 5:08am On Feb 13, 2011
RuuDie:

and if it was sevilla what would have happened? They would have been massacared, just as you could not beat a 10 man racing yesternight.europe is slipping away from your grasp you are here mocking at a club that is guaranteed of playing it already.
abegi, go back to your soliloquizing thread and leave us to worry about our problems.
Re: Sporting De Gijon Vs Barcelona [1 - 1] On 12th February 2011 by Pharoh: 5:54am On Feb 13, 2011
^^^^

Lol i never knew it was even a ten man racing which even makes it to be more pathetic . . but good it finally ended in favour of racing.

He should go back to fix his club before they even slip to the relegation zone with A.Madrid . . i am very sure europe is out of reach for them.
Re: Sporting De Gijon Vs Barcelona [1 - 1] On 12th February 2011 by eyoniggar(m): 10:37am On Feb 13, 2011
^^^^^ Why are you guys running Ruudie down? Him get mouth pass una for now until the end of the season
cos they won the kings cup last season while your club went on the trophy-less drought as usual. So show him some respect. grin grin
Re: Sporting De Gijon Vs Barcelona [1 - 1] On 12th February 2011 by usbcable(m): 11:57am On Feb 13, 2011
As per trophy level o.k.
but on everyother angle, sevilla ko savannah ni.
Re: Sporting De Gijon Vs Barcelona [1 - 1] On 12th February 2011 by holydante(m): 1:23pm On Feb 13, 2011
mama-gee:

Breaking News:

What is breaking news about an away draw to a team that lost @ home by 2 unreplied goals to a newly promoted team?
Footie wheel has been invented and will forever be undergoing repositioning, if this is a breaking news to your ronaldo-infested imagination, then you must be new under the face of the sun and posting on threads is not mandatory.

8 points still ahead pending this night's outcome.

On Barca I stand
Re: Sporting De Gijon Vs Barcelona [1 - 1] On 12th February 2011 by ddippset(m): 10:21am On Feb 14, 2011
Pharoh:

It is mostly the media that is pushing this fact but they have both come out to say that they are not competing with each other. the sad thing about it now is that the football fans have been infected with this bug right now but i hope that will be cured at the end of the season. Messi and ronaldo are both good players, they are very much important for their teams when the chips are down.
my brother are you knew on nairaland? dont waste your time talking football with that woman. she's been advised severally 2 quit but she wouldnt.
Re: Sporting De Gijon Vs Barcelona [1 - 1] On 12th February 2011 by ddippset(m): 10:27am On Feb 14, 2011
its a pity because WE GONNA TAKE IT OUT ON ARSENAL. as 4 madrid, the prick mourinho isnt talking 2 much like he did in england and italy. he and that gay ronaldo are talking more about the champions league. if he meets chelsea or man u or even arsenal, HE GONNA GET F**KED IN THE A**
Re: Sporting De Gijon Vs Barcelona [1 - 1] On 12th February 2011 by eyoniggar(m): 6:38pm On Feb 14, 2011
^^^^ The same 5 cents I always contribute whenever a debate comes up about Madrid being behind
Barca in terms of dominance in Europe. I have always said it that Chelsea, Man-U or ASS-ANAL wud whitewash
um professionally.
Re: Sporting De Gijon Vs Barcelona [1 - 1] On 12th February 2011 by usbcable(m): 7:08am On Feb 15, 2011
You cant just do without talking about us.
even when you claim to be ''the best''.
na wa for una sef.
well its not easy being as great as real madrid.
Re: Sporting De Gijon Vs Barcelona [1 - 1] On 12th February 2011 by eyoniggar(m): 9:28am On Feb 15, 2011
^^^^ Oga the same goes with you. Understand the fact that the whites are our local arch rivals
and JM being the coach. You can imagine how deep my hatred is towards this club. I aint no coward bro.
Re: Sporting De Gijon Vs Barcelona [1 - 1] On 12th February 2011 by usbcable(m): 10:28am On Feb 15, 2011
But guy the obesession most barca fans have for madrid or madrid related items os dumbfounding.
goto fb/twitter/or news websites, any mention of real madrid and the next thing you read is a comment from a cule insulting downgrading cursing at the club. Check out CR7's fb and twitter pages you will be surprised at the comments from your colleagues. Goodnews badnews fact figure even rumours you will find you guys comments trailing us about.
na so una hate white color reach?
Re: Sporting De Gijon Vs Barcelona [1 - 1] On 12th February 2011 by usbcable(m): 10:37am On Feb 15, 2011
And even Mourinho although a portuguese is as hated as a madrid itself. Look at the way you treat figo,saviola and ronaldo. Its as if they were monsters. A news about Jose spurs a comment that he can not be as good as pep or he is nothing special. You folks have an unforgiving attitude.ultra leftist in nature when not needed, remember inter last year? I bet if not for delloite una go shout say barca be the richest club sef.
Re: Sporting De Gijon Vs Barcelona [1 - 1] On 12th February 2011 by Pharoh: 10:49am On Feb 15, 2011
^^^^

Our local arch rivals indeed like barca even know if they exist or if they are on this site hating on madrid and JM, i bet barca will collect their money sharp sharp from their hand before them even one sign autograph with the players or tour nou Camp self. Cule fans indeed . . . i just pity people sha wey dey support clubs and because of that hate on another human being or club. Na very pathetic situation in my opinion and tells a lot about those people, we dey far away here dey put all our heart for wetin no consign us like them go reward you if anything happen to you. Na there we dey wey people done dey kill themselves for naija because of foreign clubs and na wetin those clubs do? . . Nothing . . it is time people start getting things into their head and take things easily . . .life is sweet and football is sweet. . . No hating . . one love.  cool
Re: Sporting De Gijon Vs Barcelona [1 - 1] On 12th February 2011 by eyoniggar(m): 11:57am On Feb 15, 2011
^^^ Farahoe, football is all about passion,and the passion I have for my club
is beyond imagination. That being said, my hatred for Mou and Madrid is also
a part of the footie passion. Nothing personal, its still all about the game.

Do you get my point?
Re: Sporting De Gijon Vs Barcelona [1 - 1] On 12th February 2011 by Pharoh: 12:25pm On Feb 15, 2011
^^^^

Lol i get your point brother and no problem on my side, i am just speaking from my own point of view because me no get that kind passion. If them like make them beat madrid 100-0 nothing do me for my side, i keep on watching my football and thats my own passion. I can't be bothered too much with something that does not put food in my table than other things which actually do. I am free and thats how i follow my own football but anyway let us all look up to the football match on Wednesday. Hope to see a good football match and let the better team carry the day by progressing to the next round.

Hope you got me too?
Re: Sporting De Gijon Vs Barcelona [1 - 1] On 12th February 2011 by AjanleKoko: 3:40pm On Feb 15, 2011
Guys, Pharoh, usb, and eyoniggar,
We are Nigerians. We just like different teams. Like i said one time, let's be gentlemen and not allow ourselves to be infested with that EPL attitude.

Though you guys (Pharoh and usb) make a point. I think Barca fans seem obsessed with Madrid. I have respect for Madrid, though, cos some of the world's greatest, like Zidane, have played for the whites. I support Barca though, cos their approach to the game is very different, mystical even, like a religion. We all tease each other, but let's not turn the thing into something else, like the Man U supporter in PH that rammed into celebrating Barca fans in 2009, killing 4 people. That's scary stuff.

(1) (Reply)

Champions League Quarter-final Draw / Uefa champions league semifinal Games / Chaos At The Emirates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.