Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,075 members, 7,811,014 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:45 PM

Buhari, Olonisakin, Magashi and DICON foolery - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari, Olonisakin, Magashi and DICON foolery (864 Views)

Buhari Nominates Buratai, Olonisakin, Ibas, Abubakar, Usman As Ambassadors / General Olonisakin Welcomed Back Home With A Warm Reception (Video) / DICON Partners With Innoson Vehicles In Producing Military Hardware (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari, Olonisakin, Magashi and DICON foolery by AfricanSonDave: 11:18am On Aug 07, 2020
So, me and my expatriate colleagues were simulating war scenarios between Nigeria and their country; and it was an eye opener for me. ...when you have this sort of conversations with others, you can hear their views and lines of thought, and use it to help yourself.

While I explained how Nigeria would attack and organise our defence; I couldn’t sufficiently explain how we would sustain the war after DICON was bombed in the simulation.
Apart from mocking our present security challenges; my colleagues opened their attack with a surgical missile strike on DICON, which according to them, was well known to foreign intelligence services. I was quite surprised and embarrassed to hear that. They said their warships could launch (medium range) cruise missiles from the open seas of the Gulf of Guinea, which would hit the arms factory and destroy it. And that is Nigeria’s only arms factory!!!
From that point, Nigeria would have to get all its munitions from external sources, which left the country vulnerable. Although, I put up a convincing plan; I left the staff room feeling very slighted at the idiocy of our military planners and government. ... it was a practical & realistic simulation.

During my afterthought, I reckoned that- during a war; expect the number of troops to double or even treble. So, we may be looking at about over 500,000 soldiers on the frontlines. So, how would we arm 500,000 men if DICON is taken out. They would need millions of assorted guns and machine guns, trillions of rounds of assorted calibre bullets, grenades, armour, rockets, millions of assorted calibre artillery shells, millions of missiles, millions of bombs, etc. They would need regular and recurrent supplies of different grades of munitions, depending on how long the war lasts.

The questions now are: how many would we import to sustain a war? How much money have we got? What if there is an arms embargo? What if the enemy navy attacks container ships supplying arms? The Nigeria Air Force lacks its own ''total radar coverage'' that uses more powerful systems and algorithms to track cruise missiles and guide a counter missile. The current civilian TRACON is not a military grade system and lacks resilience.

You see now that without DICON, Nigeria’s powerful military would just be toast. That is why world powers only fear countries that can arm themselves and have huge population. In our case, we have the population, but we cannot sufficiently arm ourselves with hi-tech weapons, only basic guns.

It is very important for nations to understand that the best time to prepare for defence is during peacetime.

So, I asked myself: why should Nigeria have only one arms factory?

DICON currently manufactures several battle rifles, bullets, grenades, Ezugwu, RPGs, machine guns, pistols, etc. All of them are built in the Kaduna factory. ... So, if that factory is bombed, Nigeria loses all its arms production capability in one strike. Now you can see that our leaders lack vision and common sense. Because we have no enemies today doesn’t mean that we wouldn’t have tomorrow.

Why should all the weapons be built under one roof in Kaduna? Is it strategic to do that? Even the new Beryl assault rifle that we would soon start producing is also planned for DICON in Kaduna. Hmm, our leaders are idiots. Very big fools who lack ideas and strategic vision.

That DICON in Kaduna have been marked, and would be the first to get bombed if we are to wage war with any strong country. ... Iran manufactures its weapons in underground secret facilities, that are scattered across the nation; Nigeria builds all in one factory in Kaduna, that is open to foreign tourists, under the cover of partnerships. The legendary stupidity of a nation and its leaders in matters that relate to weapons and national defence.

Solution- Split DICON.

(a) Split DICON production into several factories, spread across the country in underground facilities to protect them from spy satellites and foreign intelligence agents. Different rifles should be built at different plants, so that if we lose one, others can arm the nation. Split DICON to branches.

(b) Introduce more weapons to DICON, especially the 12.7mm calibre and the 30mm guns. Those guns (12.7mm and 30mm) are used by all three services- the navy, army and air-force. It is a very important weapon that should be built in the country for all three services and save foreign exchange because they are very expensive.

(c ) Create a DICON branch for ‘artillery and explosives’. Artillery is god of war. How many shells of assorted calibers can we buy to sustain a 500,000 army in war.

(d) Create a DICON branch for ‘Radar and Missiles’. The three services use radars and missiles, hence the need to start work towards local production of radars and missiles. Nations fear missiles more than all the guns put together. We need a DICON dedicated to manufacturing radar & missiles only.

(e) The NAF needs a military radar ''total coverage'' of Nigeria's airspace. i.e., the military equivalent of TRACON, so that Air Chiefs in Abuja/Lagos/Calabar can see the whole airspace at once on a screen. The navy currently has a Maritime Domain Awareness and falcon eye, which monitors our entire maritime domain on a screen. while the NAF relies of civilian TRACON, and mobile SAMs which do not cover the whole airspace at once. You never know where a strike will come from or the missile trajectory. We need a ''total military radar coverage'' of the airspace, alongside strategically distributed missile sites that fire counter missiles. 21st century wars are cruise missile wars, while the NAF is stuck in the 20th century. And there are many drone bases surrounding Nigeria, which makes NAF's foolery more alarming.

Our leaders need to use their head to generate ideas. The lack of ideas is the reason we still struggle with terrorism and banditry, which will not end until the northern borders are secure. As long as terrorists and weapons can cross in and out of the north, insecurity will never end and the army will be going round in circles.

So, Border security is the key to ending our current security challenges in the north, hence there is need to split the NSCDC into a National Guard and Border Guards. The border guards is a large force that polices the national borders 247 which the immigrations don't do well. While the national guards are more of a community defence force to protect areas like Jos North and Southern Kaduna, etc. They respond to crisis issues that are beyond the police.

There is also need to expand and decentralize the Police Intelligence Bureau to all states, for pro-active policing, and finally the need to establish covert 'community intelligence teams' across all nooks and crannies of the federation. Graduates can be recruited, trained and deployed covertly to supply intel to the police and DSS about potential trouble makers and trouble spots. This way, we would reduce insecurity in the country forever.

I am hoping that when next me and my colleagues repeat the simulation, I would not be embarrassed by the numerous weaknesses in our security and defence architecture.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari, Olonisakin, Magashi and DICON foolery by festacman(m): 11:50am On Aug 07, 2020
This sounds interesting.
Re: Buhari, Olonisakin, Magashi and DICON foolery by AfricanSonDave: 12:16pm On Aug 07, 2020
festacman:
This sounds interesting.

very interesting bro.
Re: Buhari, Olonisakin, Magashi and DICON foolery by AfricanSonDave: 12:44pm On Aug 07, 2020
m
Re: Buhari, Olonisakin, Magashi and DICON foolery by FieldMarshall06(m): 1:35pm On Aug 07, 2020
Thank you for this. Please do more simulation on the brains of our leaders. Their brains may also need missile cure.

4 Likes

Re: Buhari, Olonisakin, Magashi and DICON foolery by AfricanSonDave: 2:11pm On Aug 07, 2020
FieldMarshall06:
Thank you for this. Please do more simulation on the brains of our leaders. Their brains may also need missile cure.

Lol
Re: Buhari, Olonisakin, Magashi and DICON foolery by AfricanSonDave: 2:20pm On Aug 07, 2020
mjc
Re: Buhari, Olonisakin, Magashi and DICON foolery by proeast(m): 2:32pm On Aug 07, 2020
Lol, you're obviously overrating the dum.b idiats rulling this country. Your ideas are what is taken into consideration in sane countries but unfortunately, we are talking about Nigeria here.
Re: Buhari, Olonisakin, Magashi and DICON foolery by juman(m): 2:44pm On Aug 07, 2020
Presently nigeria is too weak to even fight any war.
Nigeria has been destroyed by the generals.
Re: Buhari, Olonisakin, Magashi and DICON foolery by FieldMarshall06(m): 3:14pm On Aug 07, 2020
juman:
Presently nigeria is too weak to even fight any war.
Nigeria has been destroyed by the generals.

And destroyed by corruption
Re: Buhari, Olonisakin, Magashi and DICON foolery by EricBraven: 3:38pm On Aug 07, 2020
I think Nigeria has another radar system apart from TRACON
Re: Buhari, Olonisakin, Magashi and DICON foolery by FieldMarshall06(m): 3:39pm On Aug 07, 2020
EricBraven:

Yep I know,,, but it is not an integrated national radar system like TRACON.
Re: Buhari, Olonisakin, Magashi and DICON foolery by AfricanSonDave: 3:42pm On Aug 07, 2020
EricBraven:

which one is that, i only know of TRACON
Re: Buhari, Olonisakin, Magashi and DICON foolery by abusurv(m): 3:51pm On Aug 07, 2020
Buhari did not established DICON and the situating of it in kaduna is not done by him. Land comes into play when you need to locate and established a company.
I don't want to believe that all our military hardware's are done in kaduna we are not so foolish. Babangida decentralized the military spreading formation from Lagos to other states.
Re: Buhari, Olonisakin, Magashi and DICON foolery by EricBraven: 3:53pm On Aug 07, 2020
AfricanSonDave:

which one is that, i only know of TRACON
Tin shield (not sure) by air force and Roland
Re: Buhari, Olonisakin, Magashi and DICON foolery by AfricanSonDave: 3:58pm On Aug 07, 2020
EricBraven:

Tin shield (not sure) by air force and Roland

ok, but Roland is obsolete, short range and cannot track cruise missiles. Besides it is only used when deployed. I have not heard of Tin Shield but I don't think it is like tracon. I was talking about total national coverage of the airspace 247.
Re: Buhari, Olonisakin, Magashi and DICON foolery by AfricanSonDave: 3:59pm On Aug 07, 2020
abusurv:
Buhari did not established DICON and the situating of it in kaduna is not done by him. Land comes into play when you need to locate and established a company.
I don't want to believe that all our military hardware's are done in kaduna we are not so foolish. Babangida decentralized the military spreading formation from Lagos to other states.

ok, but dicon builds all its products in Kaduna. we need to scatter them to other states, not just Kaduna. There is land in every state bro, not only in Kaduna.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari, Olonisakin, Magashi and DICON foolery by EricBraven: 4:01pm On Aug 07, 2020
AfricanSonDave:

ok, but Roland is obsolete, short range and cannot track cruise missiles. Besides it is only used when deployed. I have not heard of Tin Shield but I don't think it is like tracon. I was talking about total national coverage of the airspace 247.
You can check online
Being obsolete and short range does not mean it doesn't exist
Re: Buhari, Olonisakin, Magashi and DICON foolery by EricBraven: 4:04pm On Aug 07, 2020
AfricanSonDave:

Also look at the way through which our armed forces has been operating you would notice that what they do is counter with the use of an aircraft
Re: Buhari, Olonisakin, Magashi and DICON foolery by AfricanSonDave: 5:09pm On Aug 07, 2020
EricBraven:

Also look at the way through which our armed forces has been operating you would notice that what they do is counter with the use of an aircraft

i dunno that one.
Re: Buhari, Olonisakin, Magashi and DICON foolery by EricBraven: 6:10pm On Aug 07, 2020
AfricanSonDave:

i dunno that one.
OK,you tried with your analysis but I think you need to dig deep and stop scratching the surface
Re: Buhari, Olonisakin, Magashi and DICON foolery by hero2000: 7:42pm On Aug 07, 2020
EricBraven:

OK,you tried with your analysis but I think you need to dig deep and stop scratching the surface

A country as divided as Nigeria needs no enemy. It is successfully fighting itself.

The current Fulani hegemony makes other components of Nigeria wary of any progress by the military. Our military, presently constituted, is believed by many to be service a Fulano-Islamic agenda.

A restructured country, with a truly federal constitution, is a way forward to heal the deep antinationalism. Independence Constitution on my mind.
Re: Buhari, Olonisakin, Magashi and DICON foolery by Karlifate: 8:08pm On Aug 07, 2020
shocked
Re: Buhari, Olonisakin, Magashi and DICON foolery by Karlifate: 8:11pm On Aug 07, 2020
A succinct explanation.

There is a saying that, "where there is no vision, the people perish"
The same reason why our leaders (past & incumbent) refuse to diversify our economy from crude oil, is the same reason all military weapons are still being manufactured in Kaduna.

Well, whenever there's a war, there are some people that profit from it.

The profiteers will do anything to keep the poor survivors, under their control.
Re: Buhari, Olonisakin, Magashi and DICON foolery by AfricanSonDave: 9:41am On Aug 10, 2020
EricBraven:

Lol, my article is spot on and well researched. The military guys know that what I mean. We are supposed to have a hollistic defence system because of our role in African and global politics. We do not deserve a patched defence system and an air force that is languishing in the 20th century. This is 21st century bro.
Re: Buhari, Olonisakin, Magashi and DICON foolery by AfricanSonDave: 9:42am On Aug 10, 2020
Re: Buhari, Olonisakin, Magashi and DICON foolery by AfricanSonDave: 9:42am On Aug 10, 2020
Karlifate:
A succinct explanation.
There is a saying that, "where there is no vision, the people perish"
The same reason why our leaders (past & incumbent) refuse to diversify our economy from crude oil is the same reason all military weapons are still being manufactured in Kaduna.
Well, whenever there's a war, there are some people that profit from it.
The profiteers will do anything to keep the poor survivors under their control.

Thank you, you are a tight guy.

1 Like

Re: Buhari, Olonisakin, Magashi and DICON foolery by AfricanSonDave: 10:10am On Aug 10, 2020
hero2000:

A country as divided as Nigeria needs no enemy. It is successfully fighting itself.

The current Fulani hegemony makes other components of Nigeria wary of any progress by the military. Our military, presently constituted, is believed by many to be service a Fulano-Islamic agenda.

A restructured country, with a truly federal constitution, is a way forward to heal the deep antinationalism. Independence Constitution on my mind.

You are talking about different issues from what i wrote about. My article is about National defence, not tribal and mundane considerations. Every nation has its internal problems. UK faces threaths of break up from Wales and Scotland; US faces deep racial hatred; yet they are world powers.

1 Like

Re: Buhari, Olonisakin, Magashi and DICON foolery by AfricanSonDave: 11:11am On Aug 10, 2020
proeast:
Lol, you're obviously overrating the dum.b idiats rulling this country. Your ideas are what is taken into consideration in sane countries but unfortunately, we are talking about Nigeria here.

so, ....
Re: Buhari, Olonisakin, Magashi and DICON foolery by batstan(m): 11:27am On Aug 10, 2020
Agreed! It ought to be decentralised but please, do read your history.

Most military formations sited in Kaduna were rejected by other regions, including some states in the north.

The DICON, NDA, Depot Zaria, AFCSC Kaji, School of Artillery Kachia and recently, the NN School of Armament Technology Kachia.

Na choice
Re: Buhari, Olonisakin, Magashi and DICON foolery by AfricanSonDave: 12:22pm On Aug 10, 2020
batstan:
Agreed! It ought to be decentralised but please, do read your history.

Most military formations sited in Kaduna were rejected by other regions, including some states in the north.

The DICON, NDA, Depot Zaria, AFCSC Kaji, School of Artillery Kachia and recently, the NN School of Armament Technology Kachia.

Na choice

What do you mean that ''states rejected''. Are states bigger than the federal government. If states reject, who is going to train their indigenes for defence. The FG has overall power regarding national defence and its institutions and no state that is part of Nigeria can or should reject an institution that would train its defenders. If you say the states were deemed unsuitable, then that makes most sense. But saying states rejected. I disagree, unless you post a proof.

Anyway, it is good you agreed that Dicon should be decentralized for national security reasons.
Re: Buhari, Olonisakin, Magashi and DICON foolery by orisa37: 2:24pm On Aug 10, 2020
Soldiers, retired or not, are very bad Managers of Money. Dicon is just a Prey in their hands. They don't even understand thoroughly the ACT establishing DICON.

(1) (2) (Reply)

When Was The Last Time You Hear APC Supporters Address Buhari As 'Sai Baba'? / Man Attempts Suicide Over ‘inability’ To Marry Buhari’s Daughter In Kano / A Violent Uprising Might Occur Soon.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.