Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,742 members, 7,824,142 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:24 AM

What Is Backsliding? And How Can A Person Recover? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is Backsliding? And How Can A Person Recover? (9237 Views)

Pastor Abel Damina: Sin Cannot Take A Person To Hell (Video) / An Athiest Is Backsliding, Pls Help!!! / Prayer Points On Today's Open Heavens- Backsliding : Not An Option (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Backsliding? And How Can A Person Recover? by Patrik007(m): 6:20am On Aug 09, 2020
To backslide, according to Merriam-Webster, is "to lapse morally or in the practice of religion."

Backsliding may mean that we now spend less time studying God's Word or praying. It may mean we meet less often with brothers and sisters in the Lord, or that we look for fewer opportunities to "do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith." (Gal. 6:10) Or it may mean we don't try as hard to be "an example of the believers." (I Tim. 4:12) If this is true, we need to identify a cause.

The number of hours spent reading the Bible or serving others is not necessarily an indicator of our dedication to the Lord. At times, job requirements or specific responsibilities can keep us from giving time to Christian activities, and it's not due to lukewarmness. (Remember, that in your workday obligations you can still let your light shine. "Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not men."

[Eph. 6:7, NIV] )
The danger is in letting earthly responsibilities or attractions become more important than the Lord. "Be self controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour." (I Pet. 5:8, NIV)

In the King James Bible, the word "backsliding" is found only in the Old Testament (Hosea 14:4). But the New Testament is filled with admonitions to be careful, persevering, and fervent in our devotion to the Lord, in order to avoid going "backwards" in our Christian walk.

If we realize we have become more interested in social activities and the beckoning world around us, or if we find we are developing a coolness toward Bible study, or becoming careless about sin, we need to seek immediate help from our Heavenly Father. Any joys we might experience from worldly activities or pleasures are short-lived and disappointing. We need to ask God to forgive us for seeking comfort and happiness through the things of this world and to ask Him to renew our trust in Him and His Son and in His precious promises of the Kingdom.

The book of Hosea deals in detail with Israel's backsliding and the sorrowful consequences of it. In the last chapter Hosea instructs Israel to plead with the LORD to take away their sin; then God answers, "I will heal their backsliding, I will love them freely; for mine anger is turned away from him,” Hosea 14:4. If we earnestly pray to God, He will heal our backsliding as well! The process of recovery teaches us to re-ignite our love for our Heavenly Father and again to renew our complete devotion to Him.

Source: https://www.christthesource.com/2020/07/what-is-backsliding-and-how-can-person.html?m=1

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Backsliding? And How Can A Person Recover? by thesolutions(m): 6:27am On Aug 09, 2020
Backsliding is usually a deliberate withdrawal from the faith and not necessarily sinning.

Backsliders are those that has given themselves reason why what the church call sin is actually living the life.

The devil will create theories with evidence to capture those listening to or observing the world instead of God's word. once you agree with the devil, every advice becomes funny and foolish. only an encounter with something beyond you can reset such a person.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Backsliding? And How Can A Person Recover? by Joshmodest(m): 7:14am On Aug 09, 2020
backsliding is when a person comes to his actual senses , and realises that Ariel detergent is being used on his brain , by some men in suit !!

The way to recover is for you to continue sliding back ..it can only get better !!!

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Backsliding? And How Can A Person Recover? by BackllGodNaija: 7:56am On Aug 09, 2020
In my opinion it means to go back to the lifestyle of sin. It's not just falling into sin as an exception but becoming a sinner as one previously was before coming to repentance.

To get out of it is just to follow the path that led one to salvation in the first place or to retrace one's steps back to the lifestyle of righteousness, though it's easier said than done. So when one finds himself in such a situation, he should sincerely ask God to help him, and God would.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is Backsliding? And How Can A Person Recover? by hopefulLandlord: 7:58am On Aug 09, 2020
Backsliding to me is when you start to get sense small small

23 Likes

Re: What Is Backsliding? And How Can A Person Recover? by loadedvibes: 8:54am On Aug 09, 2020
Nothing like backsliding.. it's wrong English.. what you call backsliding is simple break in fellowship by you.. just simply get back to fellowshipping with God he is ever ready

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is Backsliding? And How Can A Person Recover? by Nigerianleleyi0: 8:54am On Aug 09, 2020
Go to church and ask your pastor

I no be online spiritual doctor.

Re: What Is Backsliding? And How Can A Person Recover? by YorubaLord: 8:55am On Aug 09, 2020
Give all ur hard earned money to indaboski and other Daddy G.Os... your sin are forgiven.
Re: What Is Backsliding? And How Can A Person Recover? by Afam4eva(m): 8:55am On Aug 09, 2020
Heard this word a lot in Deeper Life.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Backsliding? And How Can A Person Recover? by OkhaiAsein(m): 8:55am On Aug 09, 2020
pastor dey una church
Goan ask him
I'll design a brand logo and flyers for your business at affordable price
Re: What Is Backsliding? And How Can A Person Recover? by Dangrace01: 8:56am On Aug 09, 2020
It's money I'm looking for

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is Backsliding? And How Can A Person Recover? by Lexusgs430: 8:58am On Aug 09, 2020
Stop believing contents of that storybook..........

1 Like

Re: What Is Backsliding? And How Can A Person Recover? by Myer(m): 8:58am On Aug 09, 2020
Backsliding simply put is sliding back into old habits.

It's most commonly used in religious settings especially by self-rightsous Christian hypocrites who themselves are chronic backsliders.

It is mostly used to guilt-trip anyone as long as the person doesnt meet their religious moral standards. Even though they are also morally bankrupt when put to the same tests as others.

5 Likes

Re: What Is Backsliding? And How Can A Person Recover? by Nobody: 9:00am On Aug 09, 2020
Patrik007:
To backslide, according to Merriam-Webster, is "to lapse morally or in the practice of religion."

Backsliding may mean that we now spend less time studying God's Word or praying. It may mean we meet less often with brothers and sisters in the Lord, or that we look for fewer opportunities to "do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith." (Gal. 6:10) Or it may mean we don't try as hard to be "an example of the believers." (I Tim. 4:12) If this is true, we need to identify a cause.

The number of hours spent reading the Bible or serving others is not necessarily an indicator of our dedication to the Lord. At times, job requirements or specific responsibilities can keep us from giving time to Christian activities, and it's not due to lukewarmness. (Remember, that in your workday obligations you can still let your light shine. "Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not men."

The danger is in letting earthly responsibilities or attractions become more important than the Lord. "Be self controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour." (I Pet. 5:8, NIV)

In the King James Bible, the word "backsliding" is found only in the Old Testament (Hosea 14:4). But the New Testament is filled with admonitions to be careful, persevering, and fervent in our devotion to the Lord, in order to avoid going "backwards" in our Christian walk.

If we realize we have become more interested in social activities and the beckoning world around us, or if we find we are developing a coolness toward Bible study, or becoming careless about sin, we need to seek immediate help from our Heavenly Father. Any joys we might experience from worldly activities or pleasures are short-lived and disappointing. We need to ask God to forgive us for seeking comfort and happiness through the things of this world and to ask Him to renew our trust in Him and His Son and in His precious promises of the Kingdom.

The book of Hosea deals in detail with Israel's backsliding and the sorrowful consequences of it. In the last chapter Hosea instructs Israel to plead with the LORD to take away their sin; then God answers, "I will heal their backsliding, I will love them freely; for mine anger is turned away from him,” Hosea 14:4. If we earnestly pray to God, He will heal our backsliding as well! The process of recovery teaches us to re-ignite our love for our Heavenly Father and again to renew our complete devotion to Him.

Source: https://www.christthesource.com/2020/07/what-is-backsliding-and-how-can-person.html?m=1

Man was not created to be religous.

1 Like

Re: What Is Backsliding? And How Can A Person Recover? by jaeyking(m): 9:02am On Aug 09, 2020
backsliding like you said. I will put it in simple terms, its going back to the ways of sin and leaving the love of Christ behind.
how can you recover, its also very simple with a genuine heart ask for forgiveness and return back to the love of Christ and humbly carry out with will. but remember all this would be achievable when you are with the right cycle of friends.
Re: What Is Backsliding? And How Can A Person Recover? by LifeQuest(m): 9:05am On Aug 09, 2020
Patrik007:

https://www.nairaland.com/6018144/five-signs-backsliding
Re: What Is Backsliding? And How Can A Person Recover? by Righteousness89(m): 9:06am On Aug 09, 2020
Backsliding is Forsaking your love for Jesus Christ for worldly pleasure..

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Backsliding? And How Can A Person Recover? by jimmyolasun: 9:13am On Aug 09, 2020
backsliding can also be termed "moonwalk"
e.g he "moon walked" into worldly acts.. cheesy

1 Like

Re: What Is Backsliding? And How Can A Person Recover? by Nobody: 9:13am On Aug 09, 2020
Its normal for Christian to backslide, sometimes I backsilde to but I pray to the holy spirit to give me the strength to keep up.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is Backsliding? And How Can A Person Recover? by Nobody: 9:14am On Aug 09, 2020
Righteousness89:
Backsliding is Forsaking your love for Jesus Christ for worldly pleasure..
Just like Pastor Ize-Iyamu and Osinbajo have done. They are good examples of backsliders.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Backsliding? And How Can A Person Recover? by money121(m): 9:15am On Aug 09, 2020
Ok
Re: What Is Backsliding? And How Can A Person Recover? by ArisingStorm: 9:24am On Aug 09, 2020
The Christian Churches (religion) has made people to believe that when you don't go to church, don't join choir or not a worker, not paying offering/tithe and their other scam is backsliding.

Whereas the truth according to the Bible,
The backslider in heart [from Elohim and from fearing Elohim] shall be filled with [the fruit of] his own ways, and a good man shall be satisfied with [the fruit of] his ways [with the holy thoughts and actions which his heart prompts and in which he delights].
Mishlĕ (Proverbs) 14:14

In summary, Your consistency with your Maker and not religion.

Shalom.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Backsliding? And How Can A Person Recover? by holsconcept(m): 9:29am On Aug 09, 2020
Backsliding is a word mostly used by con-men to psychologically arrest minds of gullible followers to submit to them. By this, the finances and family of the followers will be controlled solely by the con-men. The followers can only recover when they stop becoming a Zombie and after knowing how economic realities of things have affected them.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Backsliding? And How Can A Person Recover? by Nobody: 9:33am On Aug 09, 2020
alright
Re: What Is Backsliding? And How Can A Person Recover? by Nobody: 9:52am On Aug 09, 2020
Perhaps many of you that keep painting being worldly and being socially conscious a bad thing should leave this world already. Because every single thing in this world, including your faith, is worldly. Get used to it. If you don't like it, simply check out into Heaven or Hell. And stop this disgusting doctrine seeking to isolate people...

Christ was as worldly as it comes. Argue with your Bible. He literally became flesh. Drank alcohol. Publicly discussed with women (a taboo for Jews in His time, See John 6), clubbed with sinners and taxcollectors (meaning bribe collectors)... How much worldly do you expect a man to get more than that?

Stop ridiculous naive doctrines.

1 Like

Re: What Is Backsliding? And How Can A Person Recover? by Nobody: 10:05am On Aug 09, 2020
A lot of people dont want to hear the Gospel, it is foolishness to them. But why cant you see it and look away? Why do you have to rant like a baby?

OP thanks for this. I lost focus for a week or so and had a dream where a small wooden house was being destroyed, i woke up shocked but i did not heed until my eyes clear. I am now seeking Gods mercy to get back up.

3 Likes

Re: What Is Backsliding? And How Can A Person Recover? by kingxsamz(m): 10:08am On Aug 09, 2020
Backsliding is when you begin to realize the scam in religion.

1 Like

Re: What Is Backsliding? And How Can A Person Recover? by kolnel: 10:28am On Aug 09, 2020
lol

How do you people feel when you pray and pray and nothing happens?
Has anyone ever witnessed a miracle apart from the staged fake ones ?

Still a mystery how the black entity decided to embrace a story that has enslaved them for centuries

1 Like

Re: What Is Backsliding? And How Can A Person Recover? by jubrilELsudan: 10:30am On Aug 09, 2020
BACKSLIDING IS WHEN YOU SCRAP YOUR LEG ON THE FLOOR AND BE MOVING BACKWARDS LIKE THE WAY MICHAEL JACKSON USED TO DO IT.

ITS VERY PAINFUL ON THE LEG IF YOU DON'T DO IT PROPERLY AND WEAR GOOD FOOTWEAR DESIGNED FOR BACKSLIDING.

YOU CAN RECOVER BY DOING BACKSLIDING SMALL SMALL THEN ALWAYS MASSAGE YOUR LEG.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Celebrities Versus Popular Pastors / Under Attack? Put On The Whole Armour Of God - Joseph Prince Sermon Notes / Where Is 4EVERGOD, AKA NAIJADEYHIA? The Guy Who Said He has Raised The Dead.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.