Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,089 members, 7,818,267 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:30 AM

Meet My Friend – The Angel And Devil - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Meet My Friend – The Angel And Devil (276 Views)

The Angel And The Fugitive( A story of crime, politics and insurgency) / The Devil In The Suit / The Handsome Devil I Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Meet My Friend – The Angel And Devil by Layze(m): 3:36pm On Aug 09, 2020
MEET MY FRIEND – THE ANGEL AND DEVIL

Hi guys, happy Sunday! It’s Dotun (DOTman) here again. I want to introduce you guys to my long time best friend Obinna (Obi for short).

We’ve been friends since our days as undergraduates. I tell you what guys, he’s been an angel sent to help me and a devil sent to torment me at the same time. Most times I curse the day I met him, and sometimes, I bless the day we met.
I could remember vividly the first day we met, it was at a centre where we wanted to write our post-utme exam for admission. He was like most admission seekers that day: he dressed smartly and appeared calm; he spoke with respect and humility. You won’t believe there is a beast lying inside of him.

Two months later, we met at our department corridor in school – we had both been admitted. We greeted each other, with more familiarity this time, and discussed how we made it. We had both been given late admission. We started helping each other with the tedious registration process and also catching up with lectures and that is how our friendship blossomed.
Gradually, Obi started showing the angel and devil in him – even after we graduated. Since we became friends, he’s always been my life saver and wrecker at the same time – he once wrote an exam for me when I didn’t show up because I slept off; even though he knew the grave consequence he would face had he been caught.
He once used my phone to send offensive message to my project supervisor because the woman disgraced him in class – that incident almost cost me my studentship. He has lied to my girlfriends on my behalf numerous times just to protect my relationship. He’s also been the reason I lost three of my fiancée.

Obi has always been a blessing and a curse merged together.

Our friendship still continues and it keeps growing. However, there’s one of his curse that he brought upon me and that has always remained with me and it’s one I have been unable to forgive him for. It was an unfortunate incident that he orchestrated with his stupid and evil advice. It happened few months ago.

I was working at a financial company then as an IT staff. The name of the company is Alcon Ltd and our MD then was Mrs. Omo Benson – we call her madam. Madam is very hardworking and kind; she cares a lot for her staff. She would go any length to protect her staff and ensure their welfare. However madam is very didactic: she is too strict and overly concerned with morals and ethics.
She doesn’t hesitate to suspend or even fire any staff who does any immoral/unethical act – but not without giving such staff chances to change.

I never had a problem with madam or her principles and standards, I keep to them naturally. But I had a problem with her daughter Jennifer. Jennifer, the angel-like beautiful lady is the only child of madam and she was a final year undergraduate then. She is very beautiful with a perfect body; she ticked all boxes for the kind of Lady I like.

She comes to the office sometimes whenever she’s around on holiday. I really admire her and I crave her attention but madam keeps coming to my mind. I discussed my obsession for her with Obi one weekend. Obi was instantly charmed when I showed him her picture which I downloaded from her facebook account.
Obi started giving me advice and tips and how to get her without causing problem with her mom. He gave me a perfect, but evil (well not evil initially because I accepted it with joy) plan.

The following weekend I found myself inside a cab heading towards Oyingbo area. On my lap was a shopping bag which contains a flower and a small package; my right hand was holding my phone close to my ear “hi Jenny, I am already on my way and of course I have a surprise for you; can’t wait to see you dear”. I hung up.

We were almost at my destination when I asked the cab driver to stop; I paid him and alighted. I dialed a number “hi, I’m at the gate now” I hung up. I walked gingerly to a black gate on which a bold text was written: BENSON VILLA. I took a deep breath and I pressed the button on the gate twice in quick succession.

Two minutes later, madam showed up.

THE PLAN:
Obi carefully thought out the plan and advised me to follow through. First, he gave me tips on how to successfully get Jennifer’s attention and get close to her. Guys, sincerely it worked. Within two days, I got Jennifer’s attention, got her number and was already calling and chatting with her like old friends. She’s a very sociable person.
We would chat on Whatsapp for long periods, especially at nights. We discussed mostly about her school, our office and her mother. She seems to be a little afraid of her mother, just like we the staff. She was gradually into me and already trusted me with some of her talks.
After few days she revealed to me what she craves the most and how she couldn’t get it because of her mother. Do you know what she craves most? Iphone 11. Her mother wouldn’t allow her to have one even though they could afford it; she told her she can only use such phone when she graduates.

I wanted to back out after she revealed that, I thought of putting an end to my plans of dating her – she seems expensive and I wasn’t financially buoyant at that period. I informed Obi about it and my devilish friend advised me against backing out; he urged me on. He persuaded me to borrow the money, told me she’s worth it because she’s beautiful and her family is rich.
He told me she’s like an investment that will pay in multiple folds; I need to earn her love and trust. Guys, the silly me went ahead and borrow four hundred thousand naira.

I spoke with Jennifer and promised her I’ve a surprise for her. She was very excited. She asked me to come over by weekend because her parent will be going out. On that fateful Saturday, I went to a big tech supermarket and purchased the phone. I also got some flowers at another store.
I called her to inform her I’m on my way and she told me her parent just left the house. I was crazy with excitement. I got down from the cab about a hundred feet from their house. I carefully looked over myself and was satisfied. I discarded the shopping bag and brought out the flower and the small package which contains the phone.

Jenny had promised to meet me at the gate and I wanted to surprise her there. I walked gingerly to the gate and pressed the button. To my utmost dismay, madam showed up.

“Dotun, haha what are you doing here? This is a surprise” madam was visibly astonished. “Em em, I came – I came – “ I stammered. “Did you come for a visit? Well then come in, this is a surprise though” madam gestured me in. I shook my head “no I – “ “did you bring those for me? Wow! That’s very kind of you Dotun. You’ve always been one of my favourite staff” madam took the flower from my hand.

I was slowly moving my left hand behind my back when madam saw it “and that too? You brought that for me? This is so kind of you, what is inside?” madam took the package and opened it; I was practically shaking by this time “what? Dotun you brought this for me? Why? I didn’t know you appreciate me that much” she exclaimed. “I do appreciate you ma” I mumbled. Madam was clearly happy and she insisted I come in but I respectfully refused and I left.

I got home and refused to respond to all the questions Obi kept asking me; I ignored Jennifer’s call too. She later sent a message pleading and telling me about how she didn’t expect her mom to come back so soon. I ignored her message too. I was feeling numb and didn’t even want to think about it.

The following Monday after our usual morning meeting at work, madam called me out and said to the other staff: “in spite of all the stories I do hear about how much some of you despise my strict personality, I can tell you that some people appreciate and love me for that and they don’t hesitate to show it.” She then proceeded to tell everyone what happened.
She brought out the phone and showed it to everyone – madam has even started using it already. Dismay and awe appeared on everyone’s face, chants of “Dotman” “OBO”, “money bag” was rained on me by my colleagues.

I thought of how Obi’s advice had been the cause of all these; I thought of how Jennifer sold me out too and I thought of how deeply in debt I was and how I will have to go broke for up to four months in order to repay the money.

I looked at my chanting colleagues and madam’s smiling face and suddenly tears broke out of my eyes. Everyone was shocked “what happened? Why are you crying?” I looked at their faces once more and I replied “its tears of joy”

Guys, isn’t it tears of joy indeed?

Feed Your Mind Series
© 2020
Re: Meet My Friend – The Angel And Devil by Deasegun19(m): 6:46pm On Aug 09, 2020
I laughed out loud...thanks. Tears of joy...

(1) (Reply)

Stop Police Brutality / Rebirth / Wanted: An Editor With Experience In Academic Papers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.