Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,110 members, 7,811,124 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:47 AM

Edo 2020:INEC receives documents alleging certificate forgery against Gani Audu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Edo 2020:INEC receives documents alleging certificate forgery against Gani Audu (1620 Views)

Court Dismisses Claims Of Forgery Against Obaseki / Edo North Youths Reject Ize-Iyamu, As Gani Audu, His Running Mate Escapes / Ize-Iyamu Picks Gani Audu As Running Mate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Edo 2020:INEC receives documents alleging certificate forgery against Gani Audu by etokhana: 11:13pm On Aug 09, 2020
…documents show four name variants

Running mate of the candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the September 19 governorship election in Edo State, Gani Audu, is embroiled in a certificate forgery case, as documents submitted to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) show discrepancies in his academic qualifications and other means of identification.

The discrepancies appear in a number of documents and show a trail similar to the inconsistencies found in the academic credentials of the sacked deputy governor of Bayelsa State, Biobarakuma Degi-Eremienyo, which caused the APC to lose the state after the Supreme Court ruled that his certificates were defective thereby nullifying the party’s ticket in that state’s recent governorship election.

To compound Audu’s woos, the Action Democratic Party (ADP) has instituted a court case at the Federal High Court, Abuja, seeking the court to disqualify the candidate of the APC as result of the defective certificates of his running mate.

The ADP is asking the court to rule that certificates submitted by Audu are forged and that he was not fit to stand for the September 19 governorship election in Edo.

In the documents, while Gani Audu swore to an affidavit submitted to INEC with his name as Audu Abudu Ganiyu, his other documents bear conflicting names.

A legal expert, Mr Blessed Omonuwa, who assessed the documents, said, “While his name on the affidavit is Audu Abudu Ganiyu, in his voter’s card, his name is Audu Abdul Ganiyu. Likewise, in his APC membership card, his name appears as Gani Audu. The WASSCE/GCE certificate he submitted bears Audu Ahudu Ganeyu.

“His APC membership card bears the name Audu Gani. The discrepancies are bewildering. The action violates section 182 (1) (j) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 (As amended).”

“Hence, there is no way we can say that a person with this conflict of names is the same as the Gani Audu we see today on the campaign trail of the candidate of the APC.

“The only explanation one can hazard is that he may have used the academic credentials of another person and tried to pass off as that person. The case is watertight and may well spell the end of the APC campaign trail as they are sure to suffer the same fate as their party’s candidate in Bayelsa, who had similar liabilities in his certificate.”

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Edo 2020:INEC receives documents alleging certificate forgery against Gani Audu by etokhana: 11:14pm On Aug 09, 2020

1 Like

Re: Edo 2020:INEC receives documents alleging certificate forgery against Gani Audu by irvene: 11:15pm On Aug 09, 2020
shocked
Re: Edo 2020:INEC receives documents alleging certificate forgery against Gani Audu by firo08(m): 11:22pm On Aug 09, 2020
I saw the headline on vanguard some minutes ago.Edo is not Lagos. Obaseki is not ambode.

9 Likes

Re: Edo 2020:INEC receives documents alleging certificate forgery against Gani Audu by Racoon(m): 11:23pm On Aug 09, 2020
The same reason Oshiomole gave for the disqualification of his estranged former political godson.APC just seems to be more notoriously cursed with this spell of certificate forgery issue

Even the intraparty processes leading to the emergence of the party candidates for the governorship election is just lawless because the court have nullified the Adams Oshiomole led NWC.Politicians & certificate forgery are inseparable twins.

11 Likes

Re: Edo 2020:INEC receives documents alleging certificate forgery against Gani Audu by Nobody: 11:25pm On Aug 09, 2020
shocked
Re: Edo 2020:INEC receives documents alleging certificate forgery against Gani Audu by flyingpig: 11:29pm On Aug 09, 2020
What is the outcome of this if found culpable?

1 Like

Re: Edo 2020:INEC receives documents alleging certificate forgery against Gani Audu by Sonoyom(m): 11:30pm On Aug 09, 2020
APC and forgery is just inseparable.

5 Likes

Re: Edo 2020:INEC receives documents alleging certificate forgery against Gani Audu by Upworkwriter007(f): 11:31pm On Aug 09, 2020
flyingpig:
What is the outcome of this if found culpable?
Disqualification for both Governor and Deputy Governor.

9 Likes

Re: Edo 2020:INEC receives documents alleging certificate forgery against Gani Audu by aolawale025: 11:32pm On Aug 09, 2020
Just too bad. They didn't learn a thing from Bayelsa

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Edo 2020:INEC receives documents alleging certificate forgery against Gani Audu by Eriokanmi: 11:36pm On Aug 09, 2020
When you're shouting but your enemy is silent. Fear him. Oshiomohle no dey learn

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Edo 2020:INEC receives documents alleging certificate forgery against Gani Audu by iluvdonjazzy: 11:37pm On Aug 09, 2020
Nawao everybody around Oshiomhole are fake.

3 Likes

Re: Edo 2020:INEC receives documents alleging certificate forgery against Gani Audu by flyingpig: 11:37pm On Aug 09, 2020
Lalasticlala o
But what do i know, is it not nigeria again? Once malami the attorney general is on his side, it won't be ruled against him. He should just pray to be in the good books of malami.

1 Like

Re: Edo 2020:INEC receives documents alleging certificate forgery against Gani Audu by Nobody: 11:41pm On Aug 09, 2020
So all the kneeling, begging and dancing of Oshomole will soon go in vein. Chai !

Oshiomole's political career in Edo state is coming to an end just like how Wike ended that of Amaechi in Rivers state.

3 Likes

Re: Edo 2020:INEC receives documents alleging certificate forgery against Gani Audu by Eriokanmi: 11:41pm On Aug 09, 2020
flyingpig:
Lalasticlala o
But what do i know, is it not nigeria again? Once malami the attorney general is on his side, it won't be ruled against him. He should just pray to be in the good books of malami.
I foresee bayelsa saga repeating itself which malami couldn't influence

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Edo 2020:INEC receives documents alleging certificate forgery against Gani Audu by flyingpig: 11:46pm On Aug 09, 2020
Eriokanmi:
in that case the election will proceed and they can only be annulled after the election? Or they can be withdrawn from it ahead of the election?
Re: Edo 2020:INEC receives documents alleging certificate forgery against Gani Audu by Nobody: 11:57pm On Aug 09, 2020
APC and forgery are like bread and butter.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Edo 2020:INEC receives documents alleging certificate forgery against Gani Audu by jchioma: 12:02am On Aug 10, 2020
After the Bayelsa episode, you would think APC has leant their lesson. I blame the Adamu Oshi Omo Ole. The drug he shares with Tinubu has become his undoing.

3 Likes

Re: Edo 2020:INEC receives documents alleging certificate forgery against Gani Audu by Godjone(m): 12:29am On Aug 10, 2020
Even though bearing in mind Obaseki will trashed them mercilessly in the polls, this too is another window of victory.

Together is a win-win situation for the wake and see governor. Xombie bastards and suya master can go and die

#EdoNoBeLagos

3 Likes

Re: Edo 2020:INEC receives documents alleging certificate forgery against Gani Audu by Dansuqi: 1:02am On Aug 10, 2020
Eriokanmi:

It will repeat itself for obaseki.apc already took him to court for forgery
Re: Edo 2020:INEC receives documents alleging certificate forgery against Gani Audu by Dansuqi: 1:03am On Aug 10, 2020
jchioma:
After the Bayelsa episode, you would think APC has leant their lesson. I blame the Adamu Oshi Omo Ole. The drug he shares with Tinubu has become his undoing.

They learnt their lesson.pdp did not,apc has sued obaseki and shuaibu for forgery.by the way the 14 days timeline has lapsed
Re: Edo 2020:INEC receives documents alleging certificate forgery against Gani Audu by Nobody: 1:28am On Aug 10, 2020
Dansuqi:

They learnt their lesson.pdp did not,apc has sued obaseki and shuaibu for forgery.by the way the 14 days timeline has lapsed

Which14 days? Lawya wwan Akowè

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Edo 2020:INEC receives documents alleging certificate forgery against Gani Audu by fergie001: 1:34am On Aug 10, 2020
Dansuqi:

The case of forgery won't get a consequential hearing until immunity by both persons is vacated. However, coming up at the Tribunals, will be their best bet IF Obaseki wins.
MODIFIED;
Dansuqi:
We have discussed severally that a governor and his deputy are not immune from pre election or election cases.
Very true..

***For the 14 days, that "contentious" verdict of Feb 2019 will rear its head again......So 14 days will not stand.

If there is any truth in this case....14 days won't be a factor especially if that case will still be handled by Justice Ekwo at the FHC. ***

ejimatic

2 Likes

Re: Edo 2020:INEC receives documents alleging certificate forgery against Gani Audu by Dansuqi: 1:35am On Aug 10, 2020
Amitez:

Which14 days? Lawya wwan Akowè

Oga,all election or pre election cases are filed not more than 14 days after its occurrence.you are a regular face here,am disappointed that you will be arguing such elementary issues
Re: Edo 2020:INEC receives documents alleging certificate forgery against Gani Audu by Dansuqi: 1:42am On Aug 10, 2020
fergie001:

The case of APP v Uche Nwosu & 2 Ors.....
14 days doesn't stand...

If there is any fact in this case....14 days won't be a factor especially if that case will still be handled by Justice Ekwo at the FHC.

That nwosu matter is a judicial mistake,a rarity,a slip of judgment.I don't know why you like bringing it.it came up after the elections and moreover it did not involve the two major parties.much seriousness was not attached to it.

Anyway,justice odili in the most current ruling on pre election timeline in lokpobiri vs apc still affirmed the sacredness of that 14 days.that judgment came long after nwosu judgment.therefore for the last time,bury this nwosu issue
Re: Edo 2020:INEC receives documents alleging certificate forgery against Gani Audu by Dansuqi: 1:47am On Aug 10, 2020
fergie001:

The case of forgery won't get a consequential hearing until immunity by both persons is vacated. However, coming up at the Tribunals, will be their best bet IF Obaseki wins.

For the 14 days, that "contentious" verdict of Feb 2019 will rear its head again......So 14 days will not stand.

If there is any truth in this case....14 days won't be a factor especially if that case will still be handled by Justice Ekwo at the FHC.

ejimatic

We have discussed severally that a governor and his deputy are not immune from pre election or election cases.immunity does not extend to electoral matters..
For the 14 days,it is settled
Re: Edo 2020:INEC receives documents alleging certificate forgery against Gani Audu by fergie001: 1:52am On Aug 10, 2020
Dansuqi:
That nwosu matter is a judicial mistake,a rarity,a slip of judgment.I don't know why you like bringing it.it came up after the elections and moreover it did not involve the two major parties.much seriousness was not attached to it.

Anyway,justice odili in the most current ruling on pre election timeline in lokpobiri vs apc still affirmed the sacredness of that 14 days.that judgment came long after nwosu judgment.therefore for the last time,bury this nwosu issue
The judgement came up in Feb, Guber elections were in March.

I have serially complained about that part especially the SC upholding it.

In this kind of cases, the prosecution or defence explores what they can bring to the table...and what we do here on NL is to lay bare everything so that we can look up the legal gymnastics both might utilise.

It is neither in your position or mine to begin to apportion which judgement of the SC is a slip or not. It is theirs to decide.

Nwosu could have had a fighting chance in Imo Guber but for that "slip" you mentioned.

I agree with you that Mary Odili (JSC) in almost all her pronouncements have always held on to that 14-days which is a Constitutional Provision, but her Senior at the SC, Olabode Rhodes-Vivour JSC upheld a decision ruled on past 3 months sef.

The problem is......What should we do?
Re: Edo 2020:INEC receives documents alleging certificate forgery against Gani Audu by allthingsgood: 2:11am On Aug 10, 2020
firo08:
I saw the headline on vanguard some minutes ago.Edo is not Lagos. Obaseki is not ambode.

Calm down, your wailing is just warming up.
Re: Edo 2020:INEC receives documents alleging certificate forgery against Gani Audu by Dansuqi: 2:32am On Aug 10, 2020
fergie001:

The judgement came up in Feb, Guber elections were in March.

I have serially complained about that part especially the SC upholding it.

In this kind of cases, the prosecution or defence explores what they can bring to the table...and what we do here on NL is to lay bare everything so that we can look up the legal gymnastics both might utilise.

It is neither in your position or mine to begin to apportion which judgement of the SC is a slip or not. It is theirs to decide.

Nwosu could have had a fighting chance in Imo Guber but for that "slip" you mentioned.

I agree with you that Mary Odili (JSC) in almost all her pronouncements have always held on to that 14-days which is a Constitutional Provision, but her Senior at the SC, Olabode Rhodes-Vivour JSC upheld a decision ruled on past 3 months sef.

The problem is......What should we do?

The dominant and preponderant precedent is that of odili.seniority is irrelevant here.moreover the 14 days is embedded in our statutes.until decided otherwise,we will stand by the 14 days rule...

Anyway,ADP can still bring the issue to the tribunal so let us not waste our time.moreover looking at the merit of the case,I see consistency in surnames
Re: Edo 2020:INEC receives documents alleging certificate forgery against Gani Audu by kahal29: 2:32am On Aug 10, 2020
First this is a sponsored news article.

Second, it is dead on arrival. Nothing will come out of it because the people are wiser now.

The Bayelsa case was a mistake and it won't happen again. It happened in the first place because it was not taken serious at the trial stage. A typical example of lack of diligent prosecution on the part of APC legal. At the appeal Court the decision of the trial court was overulled but at the Supreme court it was upheld.

Just the same thing that happened to PDP in the Imo case but this kind of things cannot happen again a second time just like that. The case of the present PDP deputy Governor in Bayelsa comes to mind. At least every one can see the diligent prosecution on the part of his legal team. They are not taking anything to chance.

Third, based on the write up the applicants are alleging forgery which is criminal offence and must be proved beyond reasonable doubt by calling witnesses and providing hard facts/evidence. When you allege something is forged the onus still lies on you to show the original or how it was forged which most times is very difficult [see Okezie Ikepeazu vs Uche Ogah 2017, Atiku Abubakar vs Buhari 2019 & Uzodima vs Ihedioha 2020]. The issue is not just to allege forgery but the problem is proving it beyond reasonable doubt and that is why most applicants prefer to say that the defendant supplied wrong information which is not the same as forgery.

Finally I can place a bet on this case that it would be struck out because I see no major inconsistency in the names. Looking at names one constant factor you find is AUDU which is constant in all the four names. The second is GANI which the argument will now centre on the spelling of the full name Ganiyu or Ganeyu or just Gani. The last is the middle name Abdu.

For me its a straight forward case unlike the Degi's own. Thank God the makers of those documents such as WASSCE, VOTERS CARD & APC membership card can be subpoena by the court to give evidence.

Finally I see this case as part of those distractions that comes with politicking in Nigeria of which the APC should not take lightly and should put up a good legal representation [Olanikpekun comes to mind] who would in turn put up a good defense.

1 Like

Re: Edo 2020:INEC receives documents alleging certificate forgery against Gani Audu by fergie001: 6:46am On Aug 10, 2020
Dansuqi:

The dominant and preponderant precedent is that of odili.seniority is irrelevant here.moreover the 14 days is embedded in our statutes.until decided otherwise,we will stand by the 14 days rule...

Anyway,ADP can still bring the issue to the tribunal so let us not waste our time.moreover looking at the merit of the case,I see consistency in surnames
Well, until then... ..We will scatter it here as usual.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Hope Uzodimma Of Imo State Arriving From Edo State Nigeria After Election Defeat / Bola Tinubu, "Don't Waste Your Time , No One Knows You In The North - Shehu Sani / Northern Elders Accuse Southern Governors Of Building Ethnic Monsters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.