Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,527 members, 7,837,012 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:46 PM

Remove Strange Arabic/islamic Inscription On Our Naira. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Remove Strange Arabic/islamic Inscription On Our Naira. (1767 Views)

On Arabic Inscription On Nigerian Army Logo / Why Is There Arabic Inscription On Our Naira Note?? / The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Remove Strange Arabic/islamic Inscription On Our Naira. by Nobody: 6:44pm On Feb 13, 2011
If you look closely you would see a strange Arabic/Islamic inscriptions on 500,1000 and 200 naira. I dont know why that inscription should be there. I know it was initiated by the North and if they have their way they would Islamize nigeria. That inscription should be removed.
Re: Remove Strange Arabic/islamic Inscription On Our Naira. by MaJBlige(f): 6:51pm On Feb 13, 2011
why?
Re: Remove Strange Arabic/islamic Inscription On Our Naira. by MeAboki(m): 1:58am On Feb 15, 2011
Nothing new or strange, the writings have been on our currency since independence and merely represent the value of that currency in Arabic - nothing more nothing less - and I am sure you would agree that this simple act has not Islamized the country since then.

If only you could look beyond your irrational bias and did a quick research, you would have found that it was introduced at the time of independence to assist majority of literate northerners who could only read Arabic and not English, to be able to decipher the value of the newly independent Nigerian currency; and had remained a tradition till today.

By your way of thinking, Muslims could equally turn around and reject the alpha numeric characters of English, since the English are predominantly Christians. Should that happen, wouldn't you be among the first to regard such position as extremist and intolerant ?

Now, can you honestly look into the mirror and tell us you are not acting exactly just the same sad
Re: Remove Strange Arabic/islamic Inscription On Our Naira. by ekubear1: 7:41am On Feb 15, 2011
I thought it was Ajami? Like, Hausa language using Arabic script?

I don't think there is anything religious there. . . just to help Hausa speakers who maybe don't understand English?

Contrast should be Latin script versus Arabic script, not Christianity vs. Islam.

EDIT: Yep. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hausa_language#Boko_.28Latin.29

I guess Hausa in Latin script is called boko, while Hausa using Arabic script is called ajami.
Re: Remove Strange Arabic/islamic Inscription On Our Naira. by Raymonbell(m): 8:09am On Feb 15, 2011
Ur not serious for saying that ur a religious barbarian
Re: Remove Strange Arabic/islamic Inscription On Our Naira. by Jeel: 8:38am On Feb 15, 2011
Pls my muslim brothers english is not sinonymous to christianity in any way.We speak english 2day because we were colonisd by an english nation.
Re: Remove Strange Arabic/islamic Inscription On Our Naira. by Nobody: 11:07am On Feb 15, 2011
The poster here clearly shows the level of ignorance ravaging and spliting this 'country' apart!
I am a Yoruba Christian working and living in the north.
The inscriptions u talked about is in Hausa language using Arabic scripts and such writing is called 'ajami'. What u see on 500 simply reads 'naira deri biyar' i.e, 'five hundred naira', that on 1000 reads 'naira dubu daya'. Even though ajami uses Arabic letters it is in no way Arabic, it is in fact Hausa language, one of the widely spoken languges in Nigeria. Mind you, if that inscription is shown to somebody from Saudi, he will recognise the characters but he will not be able to read nor understand the words. Its like asking an Englishman to read a Yoruba Bible!
Re: Remove Strange Arabic/islamic Inscription On Our Naira. by chosen04(f): 11:15am On Feb 15, 2011
The stupid Arabic/islamic inscription should be taken off immediately. . . . . . . . . . .Thanks to Soludo for doing away with those in the lower naira denominations. . . . . . . . .

I believe those inscriptions are why the naira is worthless. . . . . . . . . . .LOL
Re: Remove Strange Arabic/islamic Inscription On Our Naira. by Nobody: 11:30am On Feb 15, 2011
cogitoErgo:

The poster here clearly shows the level of ignorance ravaging and spliting this 'country' apart!
I am a Yoruba Christian working and living in the north.
The inscriptions u talked about is in Hausa language using Arabic scripts and such writing is called 'ajami'. What u see on 500 simply reads 'naira deri biyar' i.e, 'five hundred naira', that on 1000 reads 'naira dubu daya'. Even though ajami uses Arabic letters it is in no way Arabic, it is in fact Hausa language, one of the widely spoken languges in Nigeria. Mind you, if that inscription is shown to somebody from Saudi, he will recognise the characters but he will not be able to read nor understand the words. Its like asking an Englishman to read a Yoruba Bible!
Rubbish!!
Are there more Moslems in Nigeria than in then US? Hausa language is there for them to read.
Re: Remove Strange Arabic/islamic Inscription On Our Naira. by excanny: 1:09pm On Feb 15, 2011
Me_Aboki:

Nothing new or strange, the writings have been on our currency since independence and merely represent the value of that currency in Arabic - nothing more nothing less - and I am sure you would agree that this simple act has not Islamized the country since then.

If only you could look beyond your irrational bias and did a quick research, you would have found that it was introduced at the time of independence to assist majority of literate northerners who could only read Arabic and not English, to be able to decipher the value of the newly independent Nigerian currency; and had remained a tradition till today.

By your way of thinking, Muslims could equally turn around and reject the alpha numeric characters of English, since the English are predominantly Christians. Should that happen, wouldn't you be among the first to regard such position as extremist and intolerant ?

Now, can you honestly look into the mirror and tell us you are not acting exactly just the same sad

Keep lying through your teeth.

The naira currency was introduced in 1973?

Why should consideration be given only to northerners who are illiterate in English? My granny never spoke a word nor could read in English till she passed away, why were the values of the currencies not written in other nigerian languages people like her could read?
Re: Remove Strange Arabic/islamic Inscription On Our Naira. by MeAboki(m): 2:05pm On Feb 17, 2011
^^^^^

Look at you, rushing to conclusion without even thinking shocked

Pls read my post again and show me where I mentioned NAIRA or referred to any issue in the 70's let alone 1973. cool cool

It is evident you are lacking in basic comprehension; yet your type are the ones quick to chant aboki no go school; yes you may have gone to school but clearly schooling does not seem to have gone through you. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Back to my post, I clearly stated it began at the time of independence (FYI, many yrs b4 Naira). I could have also added that it was one of the conditions demanded by the North and agreed to by the other regions towards the act of independence itself - and the inscriptions have remained a tradition till today.

I put it to you sir, that if anybody was lying, that it was you who was trying rewrite history. angry angry
Re: Remove Strange Arabic/islamic Inscription On Our Naira. by excanny: 3:24pm On Feb 17, 2011
^^^
Get away you. Monkey Aboki. Do you have a clue about the currency Nigeria at Independence?

Was there any arabic inscription on the nigerian pounds? You made an error and you were corrected. Instead of you to accept, you are here chatting crap about Aboki no go school. I send you message?
Re: Remove Strange Arabic/islamic Inscription On Our Naira. by homerac7: 4:18pm On Feb 17, 2011
Too many loud mouthed ignorant souls. Even at d point of enlightening, dey show incorrigibility.

U complained abt some misunderstood feature, some people came to explain to u, yet u went on wt d rant. Isn't dt stooopid?
Re: Remove Strange Arabic/islamic Inscription On Our Naira. by Adonike(m): 4:34pm On Feb 17, 2011
I think it should be stooopid!
Re: Remove Strange Arabic/islamic Inscription On Our Naira. by MeAboki(m): 6:46pm On Feb 17, 2011
excanny:

^^^
Get away you. Monkey Aboki. Do you have a clue about the currency Nigeria at Independence?

Was there any arabic inscription on the nigerian pounds? You made an error and you were corrected. Instead of you to accept, you are here chatting crap about Aboki no go school. I send you message?

Silly idio.t  still in denial, your schooling was obviously a waste of your parents money!
Behold the picture of nigerian pound taken in 1967

Re: Remove Strange Arabic/islamic Inscription On Our Naira. by MeAboki(m): 6:49pm On Feb 17, 2011
And you say Aboki no go school.
Can you now STFU!!! angry angry cool cool
Re: Remove Strange Arabic/islamic Inscription On Our Naira. by vincent10(m): 7:43pm On Feb 17, 2011
***just passing***
Re: Remove Strange Arabic/islamic Inscription On Our Naira. by vincent10(m): 7:44pm On Feb 17, 2011
***just passing***
Re: Remove Strange Arabic/islamic Inscription On Our Naira. by dapachez: 9:07pm On Feb 17, 2011
The most irrelevant post on nairaland. Is the inscription on the naira nigeria's problem? Why do peeps just like kicking dust in the air? Nonsense post
Re: Remove Strange Arabic/islamic Inscription On Our Naira. by DisGuy: 9:09pm On Feb 17, 2011
you just got schooled by an Aboki, go get a refund from your cheap school tongue
Re: Remove Strange Arabic/islamic Inscription On Our Naira. by Indirah(m): 9:23pm On Feb 17, 2011
why has excanny run away after he's been SCHOOLED by an aboki
Re: Remove Strange Arabic/islamic Inscription On Our Naira. by egift(m): 10:11pm On Feb 17, 2011
@ excanny: That was a knock-out. What was that blabbing about? You should have simply stated you had no clue. I advice you should go get refund from the school you attended grin
Re: Remove Strange Arabic/islamic Inscription On Our Naira. by ekubear1: 12:23am On Feb 18, 2011
Let us see if excanny gets up from the mat.

Otherwise we the refs rule this a KO

(1) (Reply)

Who Is The Presenter Of The Debate.? She's Too / Size Of State House Budget Riles Lawmakers / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.