Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,043 members, 7,814,564 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:12 PM

While Deltans Go To Bed Hungry, Gov. Okowa Spends N400 Million To Build Church I - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / While Deltans Go To Bed Hungry, Gov. Okowa Spends N400 Million To Build Church I (464 Views)

9bn Debt:Pastor Tunde Bakare Alleged Face-off Over Loan To Build Church / Kaduna Spends N400,00 To Treat Each COVID-19 Patient – El-rufai By Kvnq Jothan / Court Finds Olisa Metuh Guilty Of Laundering N400 Million (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

While Deltans Go To Bed Hungry, Gov. Okowa Spends N400 Million To Build Church I by willscopan: 12:31pm On Aug 10, 2020

With over one thousand churches spread across oil-rich Delta State, the Governor, Mr Ifeanyi Okowa is set to add another one to the state, not as his personal gift to the Christian community but as a state project; this SecretReporters can report without dispute from any government authorities.

In the yet to be signed Proposed 2020 Revised Budget, the governor has asked the State House of Assembly to approve for him the staggering sum of N400 million for him to build a church in Asaba, which they have since passed into law awaiting his assent. The project which is under budget line 0253200053 under the Ministry of Housing is already under construction, with Mr Okowa paying a visit to the site a few weeks ago.

Perhaps in a bid to deceive unsuspecting Deltans from not seeing what the money was meant for in the budget, the Ministry of Economic Planning smuggled in the word ‘Ecumenical Centre’ instead of the word ‘Church’, to divert attention to such wasteful spending in a state where such money would have been used to build industry to employ Deltans.

Checks by SecretReporters revealed that an initial sum of N500 million was initially budgeted but was reviewed down to N400 million citing COVID-19 as a reason. Sources within government circles confided in us that the N400 million is just a smokescreen as more money will be budgeted for the same church building next year when such amount is more than enough to complete and furnish the edifice.

In a state with Muslim faithful and African Traditional worshippers, it is not clear why the Governor singled out his own religion to build by dipping his hands into public purse.

His colleague in Rivers State, Governor Nyesom Wike in May 2017 commissioned the one he built citing the need to unite Christian in the State and his election promise as his reason for erecting the edifice.

When contacted by SecretReporters, the Commissioner for Housing, Mr Festus Ochonogor who exclaimed “Ha!” in awe when quizzed on the economic importance of the project to Deltans stated that the project was geared toward social integration and peacebuilding as a similar project was also sited in Abuja and Port Harcourt. The Commissioner further disclosed that the Interdenominational worship centre which will be funded by taxpayers money will compliment other aspects of Job creation in Delta state.

He queried why Okowa should be asked the reason for building a church that will bring unity and not ask Gov. Nyesom Wike of Rivers State why he also built. He noted that the project is important to the people and cannot he jettison so long as other things are in the budget.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: While Deltans Go To Bed Hungry, Gov. Okowa Spends N400 Million To Build Church I by realstars: 12:38pm On Aug 10, 2020
He Is Buikding The House Of God, For His Mercy.
Re: While Deltans Go To Bed Hungry, Gov. Okowa Spends N400 Million To Build Church I by IamWonderful: 12:40pm On Aug 10, 2020
carry on Mr governor, anyone that is not happy should drink snipper
Re: While Deltans Go To Bed Hungry, Gov. Okowa Spends N400 Million To Build Church I by donbachi(m): 12:41pm On Aug 10, 2020
Atleast to atone for their many sins.
Re: While Deltans Go To Bed Hungry, Gov. Okowa Spends N400 Million To Build Church I by Golan007: 12:43pm On Aug 10, 2020
IamWonderful:
carry on Mr governor, anyone that is not happy should drink snipper

If someone looks at your environment would it not be poverty from top to bottom?
Re: While Deltans Go To Bed Hungry, Gov. Okowa Spends N400 Million To Build Church I by Praxtech: 12:52pm On Aug 10, 2020
Sokoto spent 700 million naira for sultan's Abuja residence
Re: While Deltans Go To Bed Hungry, Gov. Okowa Spends N400 Million To Build Church I by 50shot(m): 1:14pm On Aug 10, 2020
ok
Re: While Deltans Go To Bed Hungry, Gov. Okowa Spends N400 Million To Build Church I by mahvellux(m): 1:18pm On Aug 10, 2020
Misplaced pirority..another medium to pilfer plubic fund while the masses are debilated..
Re: While Deltans Go To Bed Hungry, Gov. Okowa Spends N400 Million To Build Church I by Shellsploit: 1:25pm On Aug 10, 2020
Deltans are doing well.

(1) (Reply)

BIAFRA: Why Did Nnamdi Kanu Bring A New Religion / Breaking : Nigeria’s Economy Enters Negative Growth / Ex Minister, Femi Fani Kayode Called UK Journalist, Femi Okutubo 'stupid' During

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.