Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,757 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:44 AM

What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? (19574 Views)

Marriage Is Now Useless, No Discipline / How To Discipline Your Child The Smart And Healthy Way-UNICEF / My Aunt Doesn't Want Me To Discipline Her Children. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by chloride6: 12:30pm On Aug 12, 2020
You know why African parents flog and European dont flog? Cos Europeans provide privileges they can withdraw. African parents can't afford privileges so they resort to flogging.

1 Like

Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by Afritop(m): 12:31pm On Aug 12, 2020
The best way my parents, School teachers and guardians disciplined me and made me come this far is the best way I will discipline my child.
Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by ModestGal(f): 12:32pm On Aug 12, 2020
dgr8truth:
Flogging still remains the best form of discipline. Most of us today that are around 35yrs upward are products of no nonsense fathers and luckily how lives turn out well.

Never give in to the intricacies of children, flog them when appreciate, don't play politics with their lives. The earlier we incorporate fear into them the better for our society.
Lol, how much is in your bank account?

Why should you in cooperate unnecessary fears in children? Thats why Nigerians youth are one hell of coward people, and their ancestors are still ruling them. What is the benefit of incooperating fears that would make children lack confidence

2 Likes

Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by Annwrites: 12:37pm On Aug 12, 2020
Rewarding and taking away privileges

When the child does something wrong especially if you have corrected them about it earlier, some of the privileges they enjoy can be taken away from them.

And there is the case of reward. If your child is of good behavior, you reward them too.

It is very wrong for parents to wait until when their child does something wrong before taking positive action. Let them understand that good behavior and bad behaviors come with consequences.

Talking to them
Talk to your children and let them understand why what they did is wrong. But first, you should ask and listen to their reason for engaging in bad behavior. You never can tell what you will uncover.

Also, let them understand how good behavior could affect their lives positively and how bad behaviors can affect their life negatively.

No Spanking

Spanking doesn't work. If it works our society won't be the way it is today. Look around you and tell me how many people turned out well. Not many and our society is a sad reflection of that.

Undoubtedly, spanking is abuse. Your child doesn't need to internalize pain to be corrected of bad behaviors.

Sometimes you need to seek professional help
You notice your underage child is showing amorous behaviors, stealing, fighting unnecessarily, gambling, or suffering from NPD, don't just tell yourself that you can handle it on your own. Take them to see professionals.

Lastly, be present in their lives
How can an absentee parent correct his or her child?

One, the child won't even see you as responsible enough to be correcting them (Yes, children think like this).

Two, you don't understand the genesis of the behavior so how do you know the best way to correct them.

On this note, be your child's best friend. Let them feel comfortable to confide in you, allow them to grow in confidence around you, and with these, as a precedent you just may know how best to discipline them.

Ciao!!!

1 Like

Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by Jymsyno: 12:39pm On Aug 12, 2020
Flogging is biblical. Provide 22:15. Let God be true and let all men be liers.

1 Like

Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by edoairways: 12:40pm On Aug 12, 2020
Righteousness89:
Stick and Carrot Approach!

You Thoroughly Discipline the Child when He needs to be Disciplined! Do not Spare the Rod!

You also Cuddle and Show Him/her love after that.

There is Nothing Ancient about Flogging a Child.. if you fail to Discipline your Child, He/She will Discipline you when the time comes..

Flogging is a Form of Discipline, and if he/She needs to be flogged, don't Spare the Rod..
This statement is misinterpreted
Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by Nobody: 12:42pm On Aug 12, 2020
udoekere:
In your own opinion what way do you think is the best to discipline a child

I have read and have seen alot of pic of children being brutalize in the name of discipline which prompted me in creating this thread

so whats the best way to discipline a child without being cruel

Follow the child accordingly...there's no best way.

Flogging should be the maximum type of punishment, use it once in a while so that a child doesnt get used to it.

2 - 6 strokes is okay.

1 Like

Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by doctormoh(m): 12:43pm On Aug 12, 2020
Whooop that ass to establish sense in their mendular faculty.. Applicable if the child is becoming a rascal. Chastise the child with words if he/she is deviated for the first time, though in love. Stick & Carrot approach is game on..
Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by edoairways: 12:43pm On Aug 12, 2020
Annwrites:
Rewarding and taking away privileges

When the child does something wrong especially if you have corrected them about it earlier, some of the privileges they enjoy can be taken away from them.

And there is the case of reward. If your child is of good behavior, you reward them too.

It is very wrong for parents to wait until when their child does something wrong before taking positive action. Let them understand that good behavior and bad behaviors come with consequences.

Talking to them
Talk to your children and let them understand why what they did is wrong. But first, you should ask and listen to their reason for engaging in bad behavior. You never can tell what you will uncover.

Also, let them understand how good behavior could affect their lives positively and how bad behaviors can affect their life negatively.

No Spanking

Spanking doesn't work. If it works our society won't be the way it is today. Look around you and tell me how many people turned out well. Not many and our society is a sad reflection of that.

Undoubtedly, spanking is abuse. Your child doesn't need to internalize pain to be corrected of bad behaviors.

Sometimes you need to seek professional help
You notice your underage child is showing amorous behaviors, stealing, fighting unnecessarily, gambling, or suffering from NPD, don't just tell yourself that you can handle it on your own. Take them to see professionals.

Lastly, be present in their lives
How can an absentee parent correct his or her child?

One, the child won't even see you as responsible enough to be correcting them (Yes, children think like this).

Two, you don't understand the genesis of the behavior so how do you know the best way to correct them.

On this note, be your child's best friend. Let them feel comfortable to confide in you, allow them to grow in confidence around you, and with these, as a precedent you just may know how best to discipline them.

Ciao!!!
I agree with you
Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by NwaIgboBoy(m): 12:43pm On Aug 12, 2020
don't listen to him when he tries begging u ....."mummy calm down na!!""
Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by edoairways: 12:44pm On Aug 12, 2020
Brachaa:
This is serious because during our time no body cared how we were disciplined. Hmm...

Well... As the bible rightly says, spare the rod and spoil the child. I'm not going to spare the rod so I dont spoil the child. Hence the need to include flogging.

To me the best way to discipline a child is by flogging cos so far that is what has worked for me as a teacher. Then sometimes a hot slap across the face (for me o). But everything has to be moderate.

I dont fancy placing a child under punishment cos it could cause a sprain or permanent damage in some part of the body. So I'll rather flog and get it over with.
Misinterpreted verse,
Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by moscobabs(m): 12:44pm On Aug 12, 2020
AmazonTopaz:

Are you raising an animal or a child specify which one.

Were u an animal when your parents used to beat u? Or u are a product of indomie generation

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by edoairways: 12:45pm On Aug 12, 2020
Let me give a disserted view from a bible scholar on discpline. This will answer your question on the word rod.
"Christian parents frequently seek the Bible in their effort to raise godly children. They believe that there is a biblical mandate to spank and they fear that if they don't spank, they will commit the sin of losing control of their child. They believe that God has commended them to spank and they take “spare the rod and spoil the child” literally, but in doing so they misunderstand the concept of the rod. The following are the biblical verses which have caused the greatest confusion:
1.He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is careful to discipline him.” (Proverbs 13:24)

2.“Folly is bound up in the heart of a child. But the rod of discipline will drive it far from him.” (Proverbs 22:15)

“3. Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you punish him with the rod he will not die. Punish him with the rod and save his soul from death.” (Proverbs 23:13-14)

4. “The rod of correction imparts wisdom, but a child left to itself disgraces his mother.” (Proverbs 29:15)
At first glance these verses seem to be in strong support of the use of corporal punishment, but do they really? Through a closer examination of the Hebrew word for “rod” (shebet) one can see that in the Hebrew dictionary it has various meanings, a stick for walking, writing, fighting, ruling, and punishment. The word “shebet” is most frequently used when referring to shepherds who are tending their flocks. The Shepherds used the stick to fight off prey and to gently guide wandering sheep, not to beat them
Reread the passages above and replace the references to punishment and the use of the rod with the word “accountability” and the meaning stays the same.

For example:
Proverbs 13:24 would read, “He who spares accountability hates his son, but he who loves him is careful to discipline him.”

Proverbs 22:15 would read, “Folly is bound up in the heart of a child. But holding him accountable will drive it far from him.”

Proverbs 23:13-14 would read, “Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you create a culture of accountability he will not die. Create accountability and save his soul from death.”

Proverbs 29:15 would read, “The culture of accountability imparts wisdom, but a child left to itself disgraces his mother.”

Christians believe that the bible is the inspired word of God and yet while holding fast to interpreting the “rod” in the Proverbs passages above as a mandate to spank, they dismiss other passages that seem too harsh by today’s standards, such as, “Anyone who attacks his father or his mother must be put to death.” (Exodus 21:15) or “If anyone curses his father or mother, he must be put to death. He has cursed his father or his mother, and his blood will be on his own head.” (Leviticus 20:9) Almost every parent would admit that their child has at one time said, “I hate you.” or “You’re not the boss of me.” or maybe, “F--- YOU.” But no one would say that their child should be put to death. And we would all agree that that child needs to held accountable for their choice in behavior. The Bible simply does not support spanking, it supports holding children accountable.
Source :Biblical Perspectives on Spanking
By Thomas Haller and Chick Moorman
@Brachaa
Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by vickydevoka(m): 12:46pm On Aug 12, 2020
In Africa flogging is really welcome here
Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by Nobody: 12:51pm On Aug 12, 2020
edoairways:

Misinterpreted verse,

How? Educate me Sir.
Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by Nobody: 12:55pm On Aug 12, 2020
You should first discipline yourself before your child, what do you do that is bad? Don't do it in front of your children lest they learn it, don't insult your child (this is very important) taking the crazy beings we have today especially in Africa who think they were brought up well then any small thing "your father is a fool" "your mother" "idiot" I hate the fact that I do this but my parents unfortunately had a hand in it so don't even try it, don't use bad words in front of them, teach them how to do the right thing which is respecting other people's decisions about themselves and their feelings, teach them to respect other people no matter the age, caste or class, should they do anything wrong then punish them by deprivation, I will tell you solemnly that flogging doesn't work now, remember back then in school when a teacher flogged you, if you were able to behave like it was not painful your respect increases therefore people (e.g me) got into more trouble just because of respect undecidedundecided, sounds funny right, if you flog your children one day they will tell themselves "highest na to flog" and they will collect the so called strokes or beating and behave like nothing happened, worst of all they might fight with you one day and this destroys the parental relationship between parent and child believe me when I say this.
And lastly and most importantly teach them to develop personal values and not to follow the herd, this is very important because 90% of our youths these days can't think for themselves and it is disgusting but well I believe in "live and let live". Teach them to think for themselves and to also be reasonable and rational too (this won't apply for Christians or Muslims)
Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by Oghenerobo2002(m): 12:57pm On Aug 12, 2020
It's funny to see people referring to 'flogging' as ancient, and advice whatever. A child will definitely lack manners if he/she is not flogged appropriately. Even when the child gets to 15 and above, flogging should be substituted for slap on the face. The way kids behave these days, I fear for the future. Just like someone above me said, those above 30 or so, had no nonsense fathers, and it helped shaped their lives.

1 Like

Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by Annwrites: 1:03pm On Aug 12, 2020
edoairways:

I agree with you

Thanks
Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by Peacefultosin01: 1:06pm On Aug 12, 2020
Flogging done moderately.
Threat of depriving him of certain benefits.
Punishment with moderation.
Try to make him understand why he should or should not do what.
Above all, be an example to him.
Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by Playermayweda(m): 1:24pm On Aug 12, 2020
Flogging is not an effective way of correction,This country have been flogging from the beginning and is one of the most corrupt contries in the world,Apply wisdom
Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by Playermayweda(m): 1:26pm On Aug 12, 2020
SegFault:
You should first discipline yourself before your child, what do you do that is bad? Don't do it in front of your children lest they learn it, don't insult your child (this is very important) taking the crazy beings we have today especially in Africa who think they were brought up well then any small thing "your father is a fool" "your mother" "idiot" I hate the fact that I do this but my parents unfortunately had a hand in it so don't even try it, don't use bad words in front of them, teach them how to do the right thing which is respecting other people's decisions about themselves and their feelings, teach them to respect other people no matter the age, caste or class, should they do anything wrong then punish them by deprivation, I will tell you solemnly that flogging doesn't work now, remember back then in school when a teacher flogged you, if you were able to behave like it was not painful your respect increases therefore people (e.g me) got into more trouble just because of respect undecidedundecided, sounds funny right, if you flog your children one day they will tell themselves "highest na to flog" and they will collect the so called strokes or beating and behave like nothing happened, worst of all they might fight with you one day and this destroys the parental relationship between parent and child believe me when I say this.
And lastly and most importantly teach them to develop personal values and not to follow the herd, this is very important because 90% of our youths these days can't think for themselves and it is disgusting but well I believe in "live and let live". Teach them to think for themselves and to also be reasonable and rational too (this won't apply for Christians or Muslims)

This is true,Some even flog without giving a reason for it,If the child feels he did nothing wrong,He will never learn
Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by sylve11: 1:26pm On Aug 12, 2020
Hmmm cool
Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by Missyajoke(f): 1:38pm On Aug 12, 2020
Righteousness89:
Stick and Carrot Approach!

You Thoroughly Discipline the Child when He needs to be Disciplined! Do not Spare the Rod!

You also Cuddle and Show Him/her love after that.

There is Nothing Ancient about Flogging a Child.. if you fail to Discipline your Child, He/She will Discipline you when the time comes..

Flogging is a Form of Discipline, and if he/She needs to be flogged, don't Spare the Rod..

God bless you ohh
Discipline a child they won't listen when the child becomes a drug addict or something bad now they'll be shouting help. Spare the rod and spoil the child, as for me any child that doesn't listen needs to be disciplined. I don't have time for nonsense

2 Likes

Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by Aimerosa25(f): 1:41pm On Aug 12, 2020
MmKchampions:
it is too harsh flogging a child of 2 years old.
I know it is but parents do it,I've seen and heard about it.
Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by Nobody: 1:55pm On Aug 12, 2020
Measure 2 rubber of beans and tell the child to pick it clean. It will humble him/her humble.
Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by CaptainFM1: 2:04pm On Aug 12, 2020
By Calming Down with him.
Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by dgr8truth(m): 2:15pm On Aug 12, 2020
ModestGal:

Lol, how much is in your bank account?

Why should you in cooperate unnecessary fears in children? Thats why Nigerians youth are one hell of coward people, and their ancestors are still ruling them. What is the benefit of incooperating fears that would make children lack confidence

What does the money in my bank account has to do with the comment.

I never said unnecessary fear. Didn't you read where I said you flog a child when necessary.

The urge to reply shouldn't supersede our ability to read and understand.

2 Likes

Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by Abusadiq01(m): 2:17pm On Aug 12, 2020
Bkayyy:
Beat him, bring a cane and force him to say "mummy calm down" for publicity while recording it

U mumu Aswear

Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by Abusadiq01(m): 2:19pm On Aug 12, 2020
Jerkules:
Use SARS it worked 4me undecided

1 Like

Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by Enyari: 2:23pm On Aug 12, 2020
Traviscottt:
Kill the child.

Heavens! How the hell did you get a phone? Are you even human
Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by Enyari: 2:25pm On Aug 12, 2020
Samirana360:
Kill the child

You're not human, right? Or just a crazy one...
Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by karkel(m): 3:20pm On Aug 12, 2020
DICKstractor:
Flogging a child have become an ancient way of discipline. Even if you want to beat a child, you don't have to do it everytime. There are some things a child will do that doesn't require flogging.

If you keep flogging a child, they will come a time that the sight of cains will not move the child anymore. They will grow used to it and at the same time start hating you for being toxic to them

The substitute for flogging can be seizing things they cherish ; e.g phones, toys, games, etc. You can also ground them from doing things they do on a norms; watching TVs, playing video games, hanging out with friends, etc. At the end of the discipline, make sure you call them and tell them why what they did is wrong

In conclusion, I can say as a parent, you should know the kind of discipline to adopt depending on the intensity of the crime. Everything should be done on a balance
what locking the child

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Husband Incurs Heavy Debt , Flees From Matrimonial Home / My Baby Has Refused To Eat.please Help / Which Bills Do You Hate Paying The Most?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.