Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,278 members, 7,822,369 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:36 AM

17 Edo Lawmakers Insist On Sitting - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 17 Edo Lawmakers Insist On Sitting (33858 Views)

Northern Lawmakers Insist Region Must Retain Presidency In 2023 / Malami Orders Police To Provide Security For 17 Edo Lawmakers / 17 Edo Lawmakers Claim To Have Impeached Assembly Speaker (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 17 Edo Lawmakers Insist On Sitting by Miracle1991: 2:40pm On Aug 12, 2020
boookworm:
They are no longer members of the house cos their seats have been declared vacant so why the hell do they still want to attend a plenary? When did non members start attending a plenary?

Oshomole is really trying hard to fight back but he's already a goner
can you declear vacant seat for somebody that is not inugurated? As of that time they don't even have a seat, so which seat are you declaring vacant? Their seats can only be declared vacant after their inauguration.
Anyway, some of you are children and ignorant of the law.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 17 Edo Lawmakers Insist On Sitting by Miracle1991: 2:45pm On Aug 12, 2020
Harmlesspill:
They never wanted to be sworn in!!
I believe your brain is telling you= lie lie

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 17 Edo Lawmakers Insist On Sitting by Dminister(m): 2:47pm On Aug 12, 2020
As long as they were not inaugurated if they sit in the house of assembly chamber to make a pronouncement it is not biding on the Edo state government. Foolish Oshio thief followers and APC brainwashed. It is just like ordinary me going to the house of assembly with a carved mase to make a pronouncement.

Obaseki is a goal.
Re: 17 Edo Lawmakers Insist On Sitting by Sermwell(m): 2:48pm On Aug 12, 2020
Miracle1991:
can you declear vacant seat for somebody that is not inugurated? As of that time they don't even have a seat, so which seat are you declaring vacant? Their seats can only be declared vacant after their inauguration.
Anyway, some of you are children and ignorant of the law.
so now that they have not been inaugurated, why are you calling them members??

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 17 Edo Lawmakers Insist On Sitting by WHITELIGHTER: 2:48pm On Aug 12, 2020
Which Benin are they even talking about? Not the same Benin that I'm living and working
Re: 17 Edo Lawmakers Insist On Sitting by rayv234: 2:48pm On Aug 12, 2020
ozo13:
this our country jus dey anyhow. Judiciary should have given judgement since as to weda they are still members or not.9ja we hail o.
Anyway Na we the citizens want am that way. It was jus less than a week protest in Lebanon to show how unhappy the citizens were about the bomb blast and the head of the govt resigned.but over here anything goes.any terrible things will happen and people will make joke of it and that’s all.

There is a constitution. Those guys are just stubborn and nepotism is in their DNA
Re: 17 Edo Lawmakers Insist On Sitting by Miracle1991: 2:52pm On Aug 12, 2020
patrickmuf:
See stupid folks on the FP saying their seats have been declared vacant so are not members of the house. Who gave the speaker the right to declare the seat of his fellow honorables vacant?

That's how you lots will be supporting impunity until the tables turn.
no mind them. Tomorrow if thesame treatment is meted on their own they will begin to cry. Obaseki really messed up, instead of him to loby them the way Bauchi State governor and Imo State governor did,he want to force them to like him. Who does that?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 17 Edo Lawmakers Insist On Sitting by Miracle1991: 2:57pm On Aug 12, 2020
Sermwell:

so now that they have not been inaugurated, why are you calling them members??
inec declear them members but they must be given seat by the Clark of the house before they can have a seat in that assembly complex.

1 Like

Re: 17 Edo Lawmakers Insist On Sitting by kolmart: 3:07pm On Aug 12, 2020
Whatever decision taken by the illegal house members are in futility how can people swore in a parlour with a university/polytechnic rented mace be threatening to hold plenary? Under what authority? Criminals holding a plenary session? Infact I don't think we have government in this country any longer
Re: 17 Edo Lawmakers Insist On Sitting by atemi01: 3:24pm On Aug 12, 2020
softeeg:
Political parties using money to buy people's conscience. I'm sure those law makers were given juicy promises to do as they command
They were not given money but we're duly elected by their constituents
Re: 17 Edo Lawmakers Insist On Sitting by babajero(m): 3:29pm On Aug 12, 2020
Cajal:
Obaseki will be worse
Really? and not oshiomolhe, are you forgetting that all the turmoil in edo state today is because of oshiomolhe's greed.
Re: 17 Edo Lawmakers Insist On Sitting by Sermwell(m): 3:32pm On Aug 12, 2020
Miracle1991:
inec declear them members but they must be given seat by the Clark of the house before they can have a seat in that assembly complex.
So INEC is now the court of law? I know you are reasoning from a layman's point of view, but as a lawyer, I'm putting it to you according to law. The court is yet to decide on their membership of the house, and whatever they are doing now is shrouded in illegality....and they all know it....but they are fooling the masses to argue nonsense.

1 Like

Re: 17 Edo Lawmakers Insist On Sitting by Miracle1991: 3:40pm On Aug 12, 2020
Sermwell:

So INEC is now the court of law? I know you are reasoning from a layman's point of view, but as a lawyer, I'm putting it to you according to law. The court is yet to decide on their membership of the house, and whatever they are doing now is shrouded in illegality....and they all know it....but they are fooling the masses to argue nonsense.
I can see. So in your village after voting it is court that will declear them winners abi? Mr lawyer don't forget that the AGF grant them that request. Mr lawyer I know that you are better than the Attorney general of the federation. Congrat sir
Re: 17 Edo Lawmakers Insist On Sitting by Vozzle888: 3:59pm On Aug 12, 2020
Miracle1991:
I can see. So in your village after voting it is court that will declear them winners abi? Mr lawyer don't forget that the AGF grant them that request. Mr lawyer I know that you are better than the Attorney general of the federation. Congrat sir
Re: 17 Edo Lawmakers Insist On Sitting by Akainzo(m): 4:22pm On Aug 12, 2020
Sermwell:

Since you are a lawyer, let me take you up on your stance.

By the constitution, they are elected members of the House of Assembly.
By the constitution, until a competent law court declares their seat vacant, they remain elected members of the House of Assembly.
By the constitution, if a High Court declares their seat vacant, and they appeal at the Appellate Court, they remain elected members of the HoA.

Now to the issue of inauguration.
By the constitution, a Governor issues a proclamation of the House TO THE CLERK OF THE House of Assembly.
By the constitution, it is the Clerk that inaugurates or swears in members of the House of Assembly AFTER the proclamation.
By the constitution, the Governor has done the proclamation, and 10 members were sworn in earlier.
By the constitution, the clerk/House has now sworn in the other 14 members of the House of Assembly.

Please, do let me know which part of what I enumerated above is the illegality that you are referring to.
Re: 17 Edo Lawmakers Insist On Sitting by ArcSEMPECJ(m): 4:23pm On Aug 12, 2020
When they pay up to # 20 million to buy Governorship tickets, don't expert them to be all smiles.....

It is a do or die affair.....the best corrupt looter becomes the winner and the lesser one, an opposition wailer
Re: 17 Edo Lawmakers Insist On Sitting by Sermwell(m): 4:52pm On Aug 12, 2020
Akainzo:

Since you are a lawyer, let me take you up on your stance.

By the constitution, they are elected members of the House of Assembly.
By the constitution, until a competent law court declares their seat vacant, they remain elected members of the House of Assembly.
By the constitution, if a High Court declares their seat vacant, and they appeal at the Appellate Court, they remain elected members of the HoA.

Now to the issue of inauguration.
By the constitution, a Governor issues a proclamation of the House TO THE CLERK OF THE House of Assembly.
By the constitution, it is the Clerk that inaugurates or swears in members of the House of Assembly AFTER the proclamation.
By the constitution, the Governor has done the proclamation, and 10 members were sworn in earlier.
By the constitution, the clerk/House has now sworn in the other 14 members of the House of Assembly.

Please, do let me know which part of what I enumerated above is the illegality that you are referring to.
So the governor issued a proclamation for the swearing in of the other 14 members?? He has already done that for the swearing in of 10 members in which other members were absent(for whatever reasons) and subsequently refused to partake in any legislative business of the state.
Now my question to you is that.....is the governor required by the constitution to issue proclamation twice?
And by what proclamation was the subsequent 14 members sworn in?
Re: 17 Edo Lawmakers Insist On Sitting by Sermwell(m): 5:00pm On Aug 12, 2020
Miracle1991:
Are you aware that they have been absent for more than 181 days and by so doing their seat is vacant??
Re: 17 Edo Lawmakers Insist On Sitting by opribo(m): 5:08pm On Aug 12, 2020
This Edo election will open our eyes to the real terrorists terrorizing Nigeria.

If I can suggest onething to Nigerians before the 2023 election. Change that INEC chairman and change that Chief justice make sure bubu has no input in their selection afterwards. Thats all I can say.
Re: 17 Edo Lawmakers Insist On Sitting by SideInkom: 5:12pm On Aug 12, 2020
Osho's Edo
Re: 17 Edo Lawmakers Insist On Sitting by AntiWailer: 5:18pm On Aug 12, 2020
Sunnyja:
Can a member who has not be sworn in take part in a plenary session?! This is were the brain needs to be fully utilised.

So ask why 10 members were not sworn in and 7 can sit.

Does that sound normal to you ?

You see why the brain is still on vacation.

They were voted in, given certificate of return but never sworn in.

Ask yourself again, does that make sense to u ?
Re: 17 Edo Lawmakers Insist On Sitting by AntiWailer: 5:20pm On Aug 12, 2020
NigeriaB:

Only 5 out of the 17 are lawmakers. The 12 are yet to be properly inaugurated/sworn in

Lol.

Brain still on vacation like I said. 12 lawmakers duly elected were not sworn in ?

And 7 formed a quorum.

Reason am now.
Re: 17 Edo Lawmakers Insist On Sitting by Akainzo(m): 5:28pm On Aug 12, 2020
Sermwell:

So the governor issued a proclamation for the swearing in of the other 14 members?? He has already done that for the swearing in of 10 members in which other members were absent(for whatever reasons) and subsequently refused to partake in any legislative business of the state.
Now my question to you is that.....is the governor required by the constitution to issue proclamation twice?
And by what proclamation was the subsequent 14 members sworn in?

I am happy we both agree the constitution has not been violated.

The proclamation is only issued once, as a proclamation is about the COMMENCEMENT OF THE LEGISLATIVE TERM, it has nothing to do with inauguration.

Cast your mind back to 2015, PMB issued a proclamation and the PDP members of the Senate with Saraki were inaugurated, and Saraki was appointed Senate President while the majority APC members of the Senate were having a meeting with the President.

Did the President issue a second proclamation for the other members to then be sworn in? Of course he didn't as a proclamation is only issued once, and once the legislative activities have commenced, other members can be sworn in by the Clerk or the Presiding officers of the House.

So clearly, the other members do not need a proclamation to be issued by Obaseki before they can be sworn in, and that is also what the court said.
Re: 17 Edo Lawmakers Insist On Sitting by Sermwell(m): 5:45pm On Aug 12, 2020
Akainzo:

I am happy we both agree the constitution has not been violated.

The proclamation is only issued once, as a proclamation is about the COMMENCEMENT OF THE LEGISLATIVE TERM, it has nothing to do with inauguration.

Cast your mind back to 2015, PMB issued a proclamation and the PDP members of the Senate with Saraki were inaugurated, and Saraki was appointed Senate President while the majority APC members of the Senate were having a meeting with the President.

Did the President issue a second proclamation for the other members to then be sworn in? Of course he didn't as a proclamation is only issued once, and once the legislative activities have commenced, other members can be sworn in by the Clerk or the Presiding officers of the House.

So clearly, the other members do not need a proclamation to be issued by Obaseki before they can be sworn in, and that is also what the court said.
You must understand that the federal law makers didn't absent themselves from legislative business. And of course they didn't just wake up one morning to resume after a long time, to impeach the Senate President when their seat are in contention before the courts. The Edo state law makers didn't help themselves in this case. What even stopped them from doing all these shortly after their inauguration? These law makers have slept on their rights and the court may no longer take them serious, hence the court of first instance has already rule their seats to be vacant. Well, no matter how we try to analyse these issues here, it will certainly not be very clear who is on the wrong side of the law! But I think the court will not be pleased with the political dimension of this case.
Re: 17 Edo Lawmakers Insist On Sitting by luluosas(m): 6:22pm On Aug 12, 2020
All those beating war drums in Edo State shall fall into their death in Jesus name. Amen
Re: 17 Edo Lawmakers Insist On Sitting by Miracle1991: 9:46pm On Aug 12, 2020
Sermwell:

Are you aware that they have been absent for more than 181 days and by so doing their seat is vacant??
people you failed to swear in you are telling them they are absent how. Before you attend any preceding in the house you must be inugurated. Do you know that as of that time they don't have a seat in that house? How can you go for sitting while you don't have a seat? Mr lawyer can you sit without having a seat in your office?
No wonder Obaseki is messing up because this are the types of lawyer that are advising him.
Mr lawyer let me educate you that any student that is not registered and given a class in the school, cannot be accuse of been absent from school.
Pls respect yourself and say the right thing even if it hurts you.
Re: 17 Edo Lawmakers Insist On Sitting by Sermwell(m): 10:04pm On Aug 12, 2020
Miracle1991:
people you failed to swear in you are telling them they are absent how. Before you attend any preceding in the house you must be inugurated. Do you know that as of that time they don't have a seat in that house? How can you go for sitting while you don't have a seat? Mr lawyer can you sit without having a seat in your office?
No wonder Obaseki is messing up because this are the types of lawyer that are advising him.
Mr lawyer let me educate you that any student that is not registered and given a class in the school, cannot be accuse of been absent from school.
I can see you are one of the ignorant fools on this forum!! There's actually no point engaging you in meaningful discussions. Keep wallowing ignorance. It fits you so well!!
Re: 17 Edo Lawmakers Insist On Sitting by Web2020: 10:05pm On Aug 12, 2020
duwdu:

No one said there's an ongoing war in Benin City, anyways, so what's your point?

And can you alone be everywhere in Benin City at the same time for you to claim "ever where is calm?"

P34c3
Your wish for Edo can never come to pass. Edo is not Lagos.
Re: 17 Edo Lawmakers Insist On Sitting by matthewbrian150: 10:07pm On Aug 12, 2020
They should try and resolve issues amicably. They are meant to be role models to the people of edo state.
Re: 17 Edo Lawmakers Insist On Sitting by Web2020: 10:09pm On Aug 12, 2020
Miracle1991:
You are really forcing yourself to write. It's well
Re: 17 Edo Lawmakers Insist On Sitting by Hottdawgg: 10:27pm On Aug 12, 2020
Oshomole and his lawmakers have been making noise and disturbing the peace of Edo state for almost 4years.

These are no real lawmakers they are just pawns in the hands of an amateur, inexperienced godfather.

Oshomole warehoused them as APC chairman in Abuja and told them not to show up to be sworn in by the Executive Governor. Stupidly they accepted believing it was part of a grand strategy by the 'leader' because that is how it is done by Tinubu in Lagos. Now Oshomole has been sacked from his job and his advise backfired spectacularly on the lawmakers, they wont let Nigerians sleep in peace.

Many of them took loans to contest and campaign the election. Its payback time, they are desperate. Oshomole is the cause of their problem and not the Governor.

Ize Iyamu has been sold a dummy. He can never be Governor of Edo state. He should save whatever campaign money he can and start a business or better still get a job because he is still young. He has never worked outside Govt for money. In 10yrs time if he works hard enough and succeeded like Obaseki, Edo people will vote for him provided he doesnt resurrect with Oshomole who is now an enemy of the Oba, the enogies and the people of Edo State.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Senators Grill Ali Ndume, Ask Him If He Has Been Fair To Dino Melaye & Saraki / Aisha Buhari’s ADC, Sani Baba-Inna, Detained By Us - DSS Confirms / Natasha Akpoti Loses Polling Unit To Yahaya Bello

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.