Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,663 members, 7,955,398 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 03:34 AM

INSPIRATIONAL SHOT- Brenda: The Dumb Lawyer That Got Saved By Persistence - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / INSPIRATIONAL SHOT- Brenda: The Dumb Lawyer That Got Saved By Persistence (120 Views)

Inspirational SHOT- See How Elvis Left His Comfort Zone To Become Rich / INSPIRATIONAL SHOT- The Single Mother That Loved Marcus Rashford. / Funny But Inspirational Quote I Saw On A Vehicle In Benin City (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

INSPIRATIONAL SHOT- Brenda: The Dumb Lawyer That Got Saved By Persistence by anekearinze(m): 11:04pm On Aug 12, 2020
INSPIRATIONAL SHOT- Brenda: The Dumb Lawyer That Got saved By Persistence

Brenda was sitting behind a big desk with his portrait picture hanging directly over his head. He said, “Growing up, the law profession fascinated me more than any other. The sight of a lawyer alone gave me goose pimples. Even as a kid, I used to wish that my father was a lawyer- not because I could use it to brag about, but for the mere fact that I could sneak into his room at times and don his regalia(particularly the gown and the wig). None of my direct family members was surprised when I chose to study law at the university. Unfortunately, after four years of trying, I was still writing the entrance exam to study law. When the pressure of being at home became overbearing, I put in the request to study English(Single Honours) in one of the State universities. As expected, the school fees for the five years I spent there was mind-boggling. I saw your eyes light up the moment that I mentioned five years. Let me explain- it was because I had a missing script in my final year. Strange enough, I was made to return for a re-sit even after a thorough investigation proved that I sat for that paper. In fact, my name was clearly captured in the attendance register for the examination and my classmates confirmed that I was with them in the hall till the end of that very paper. Yet, someone bought an extra year for me with his carelessness”

I looked at the massive shelf in Brenda’s office and wondered if he had read all the books in it. He continued talking. “After graduation, I was happy that I finally did it. But I still felt unfulfilled. Passing through here without putting that wig, for me, would be a huge failure. I remember coming across a maxim that said that persistence could drive an iron beam through a needle. That was exactly the driving force that I needed. I went back and took the entrance examination to study law. I failed yet again. But I was undeterred because I knew the only way I could match my dreams to my realities was through persistence. I went again for the entrance examination. This time around, I was quite lucky. I was offered admission to chase my dreams in the well respected University Of Nigeria Nsukka(Enugu Campus). These happened during the military era. So, there were challenges. Yet, I graduated in the end and was later called to the bar. That was the happiest moment of my life- that moment that I finally wore the most cherished gown and the matching headgear. It was that moment that you see the dreamer and the dream metamorphose into great storylines that you can only find in Disney.”

The intercom rang. It seemed someone was out there to see Brenda, from the way he spoke to the person at the other end. He dropped the receiver and continued, “You see, when life is prepared to deal someone some hard blows, they come in perfect combinations. Life doesn't play by the rules when it comes to this game. It would hit one below the belt if the opportunity presented itself. Anyway, while I was returning home from the call to bar ceremony, I got involved in a fatal road accident that took two lives. I survived but I was reduced to the wheelchair as a consequence of the accident. Shockingly enough, I lost my voice owing to a heavy injury I received on the head. It was so bad that the doctor told my parents in confidence that I was never going to talk again. But out of the fear of what I could do to myself, they kept this information away from me. They would have played by the truism that says, 'It is better not to know certain things because what you do not know won't hurt you.' I kept fighting every day waiting for that day that I would stand in the court for the first time to either defend or prosecute. I kept investing the money I had in purchasing law books. I voraciously read law journals, upon journals. I began to succumb to my predicament when I waited for more than one year without success. Then one day, I was going through my father's locker when I found, “The Power Of Positive Thinking” by Norman Vincent Peale. It rekindled the fire in me once more. And I started believing again.”

I discovered that he was rushing to conclude the story probably because of the person waiting outside. He said in closing, “One night, my father came home looking so tired and sad. I demanded what the issues were using sign language. He opened up and told me a pitiful story about my uncle who was a businessman then. A company that he was dealing with breached the agreement they had and I learnt it would cost him N20 Million($56,000) in losses if no legal action was taken in his defence. I became crest-fallen for not being able to help. That night, I could not sleep; I was lost in very deep thoughts. I woke up late the following morning and got out of bed. I noticed something different about that day. When my father worked in, to our greatest amazement, I opened my mouth and offered a greeting. Oh my goodness! All hell was let loose. There was pandemonium everywhere as people jubilated. I was screaming at the top of my voice this time. To cut the story short. I finally stood in court to defend my uncle and at the end, judgement was given in our favour. It was a sweet victory; my first time in court and my first time standing as counsel for my uncle who was part of the reason I was able to graduate as a lawyer. That was the moment that I realized that you just can't beat the person who never gives up.”

REFLECTION.
Brenda’s story touched me. I got home and thought about this story all through the night. These were persistence and never give up attitude personified. I realized that nothing in this world, I repeat nothing, can ever displace persistence. It is with persistence that droplets of water from a tap create a big hole in the ground directly under it. It keeps breaking away the cement or earth, bit by bit until a massive hole is formed underneath. That is the power of persistence.

Great things have been achieved in the world by people who refused to quit despite all the challenges that stood before them. They were able to surmount those because they refused to quit. They kept trying again, again and again until something gave. Brenda took a long walk to have his first appearance in court. Are you ready to take such a long walk? What is that thing that troubles you today? Have you given as much as Brenda committed to reaching the milestone that he achieved? If you want victory in life, you must master the art of persistence. If you knock hard enough, even Pharaoh might listen to you. Do not give up yet!

(1) (Reply)

Property Management / Mechanical Vibration In The Plunger Pump / Freelancing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.