Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,737 members, 7,806,011 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:13 AM

My Experience While Learning To Drive - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Experience While Learning To Drive (4203 Views)

If You Have Kids In Your Compound, Don’t Be In A Hurry To Drive Out (picture) / Video Of A Dad Teaching His 3year Old Daughter How To Drive Wow / Saudi Women Celebrate News They Will Finally Be Allowed To Drive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience While Learning To Drive by buygala(m): 9:07am On Aug 15, 2020
I bought my first car on a friday late last year...

Paid someone 2k to drive it home for me same day...

Paid my Barber 1k to teach me how to drive next day early in the morning....Nigga took me to a football field where he made me run circles in front and reverse mode...Nigga still drove me home...he said I still need more practice before I can enter road...he dey fear make I no go put am under trailer grin

Same afternoon, after eating a huge bowl of Eba, I damned the consequences and drove out into town on my own...Shit was very scary shocked..I had an 'L' on tho...so people went out of their way to avoid me...grin...I drove around for about an hour, and arrived at home without incident...but I had noticed my flaws..

I couldn't drive in a straight line, I couldn't negotiate tight bends without almost going off road, and I had a serious problem with space management, and I had no idea on how to use side mirrors and the rear view mirrors cry

I bought data that night and watched a whole lot of YouTube driving videos on any and all manners of driving scenarios..

Next morning being Sunday, I went on another solo run..I was much better this time and even hit 120km/hr on an empty road...I am sure if I had an instructor, he won't have allowed me do that grin..Who wan die grin

Same Sunday evening, I looked for the most congested part of town and put head there to test my ability to manage my car space and not run into other cars or pedestrians...I hit a keke
from behind who suddenly swerved into the road..People gathered, and when they saw my L sign, they blamed the Keke guy and told him to be careful of who he jumps in front of before Learner driver kill am one day grin ...The bash wasnt serious though as it just peeled a bit of paint on the Keke's bumper..my own car had no scratch as it was my plate number that came in contact with the Keke...So I just told the Keke rider sorry and proceeded on my way grin...

Next day being Monday, I had work to do in a neighbouring state...after another binge of YouTube videos on highway driving, I decided to drive to and fro from that stategrin...Journey was about 300km round trip...

I had read somewhere that learner drivers are not allowed on interstate roads...so by the next morning, I removed my L tags and commenced my journey...I maintained speeds below 70km/hr while going...I sha still managed to kill a baby goat that strayed into the middle of the road cry...One Driver on a YouTube video I watched said never to try to dodge any animal or even human who suddenly jumps into your lane while on high speeds on an interstate highway...Na so I kill the damn goat without even breaking a stride sad

Myself and vehicle arrived destination in one piece aside that vehicle's front was stained a bit with the blood of that baby goat and there were a few minor nicks to the bumper's paint where I struck the goat...

Journey back to base was uneventful and I arrived safely...I managed to up my speeds to 120km/hr...I even overtook a 14-wheeler truck for the first time in my life grin...

When I got home, I threw out my L sign within 4 days of getting it...my reasoning was that I won't push myself to quickly become a better driver if I had the 'L' on...That was how I started driving eveeywhere grin...aside one occassion where I backed into a Police Man's car while leaving the car lot at the police headquarters in my state of residence, I didnt hit anything else..

Fast forward to Christmas time same year, after another binge of YouTube videos of extreme highway driving, I drove for about 900km from my state of residence to Lagos..got there same day I left ...aside a flat tyre at Owo, Ondo State, myself and my dearest Honda Accord 1994 model made it to Lagos without a scratch...I still drove back to Jos same December without event, before a nice lady bought the car off me on Oga Gazzuzz's recommendation...

I refused driving the car to the new owner's location to avoid stories that touch grin...make e no come be say na on that particular journey I will now crash the vehicle learner style...So I paid a driver to deliver the vehicle..I accompanied him Sha grin ...I figured vehicle was no longer mine..so I would do well to keep my learner fingers off it grin

After the exit of my dearest Honda Academy who was patient with me all through my learning driving process, I am on my 2nd car after that...and driving has been a breeze for me smiley ...I have never even scratched my bumper in the last 7 months...My fender was scratched once by a neighbour while trying to back out of our compound...aside that,my vehicles haven't had a single dent despite my driving every day and everywhere...I got my current car soometime in April this year,and I have already put 2000km on
it...As long as there is a road to where I am going to, I drive there grin

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by buygala(m): 9:24am On Aug 15, 2020
PS

I won't advice anyone to learn how to drive how I did...know your limitations and act accordingly..

As for me, I have near perfect eyesight, and good limb coordination...what doctors call "hand-eye coordination"...in my own case, my hand-foot-eye coordination is above average...I can draw a perfectly straight line without a ruler grin..I suppose that helped me pick up driving as fast as I did...

Finally, never be overconfident...much as I learnt to drive quite fast, i am extremely careful on the wheels...

2 Likes

Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by timifakay(m): 9:26am On Aug 15, 2020
Great one. Keep it up.
I hate to burst your bubble, but nah when you crash you go just sabi drive well well.
The break headlamp, tear bumper kinda crash.

7 Likes

Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by buygala(m): 9:31am On Aug 15, 2020
timifakay:
Great one. Keep it up.
I hate to burst your bubble, but nah when you crash you go just sabi drive well well.
The break headlamp, tear bumper kinda crash.

Not likely grin

Accidents happen tho...I just pray that when or if it does, it won't be real bad

But I try my best Sir grin...

At least I always resist the urge to tailgate, and I never exceed 20km in busy city roads, and I know my brakes as well as they know me grin

Last last, na God dey save person.... Paul Walker was a good driver..but na motor still kill am cry

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by delugajackson: 9:31am On Aug 15, 2020
Wonderful experience.

I'm sure If it were a full goat you hit, you won't waste time to put it in your boot. Pepper soup for sure that day.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by buygala(m): 9:41am On Aug 15, 2020
delugajackson:
Wonderful experience.

I'm sure If it were a full goat you hit, you won't waste time to put it in your boot. Pepper soup for sure that day.

I think so o grin

As it was a kid, I left it for the vultures
Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by ksmart027(m): 9:43am On Aug 15, 2020
Did you learn with auto or manual?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by buygala(m): 9:46am On Aug 15, 2020
ksmart027:
Did you learn with auto or manual?

Auto Sir...

I have never bothered with manual vehicles

2 Likes

Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by yanabasee1(m): 9:58am On Aug 15, 2020
OP.... I had a neighbor who works with a state IRS and he's passionate about Benz brand....

When he got his first car.... He was driven down to the compound.

Immediately the driver dropped him off and handed the keys.... His wife and kids ran out and celebrated him and the car.... Baba just enter front sit start engine, drag am put for reverse... Returned directly and fall our fence. He didn't stop there oh. He ensured that he exited the compound and made a turn to the express and started driving. From that day till the today. He has been driving.

You might think that you started driving fast. But there are people that have started driving from where they bought the car without prior knowledge of driving.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by buygala(m): 10:08am On Aug 15, 2020
yanabasee1:
OP.... I had a neighbor who works with a state IRS and he's passionate about Benz brand....

When he got his first car.... He was driven down to the compound.

Immediately the driver dropped him off and handed the keys.... His wife and kids ran out and celebrated him and the car.... Baba just enter front sit start engine, drag am put for reverse... Returned directly and fall our fence. He didn't stop there oh. He ensured that he exited the compound and made a turn to the express and started driving. From that day till the today. He has been driving.

You might think that you started driving fast. But there are people that have started driving from where they bought the car without prior knowledge of driving.

Your neighbour is the real MVP Sir grin

I am not sure I would risk having a fence fall on me or running into an interstate highway on my first time at the wheel ...

Much as I was trying to speed up the learning process, I also considered that aside my family,I have plenty girlfriends who all need me...

If fence fall ontop me kill me or Dangote truck kill me as I run enter express without prep of any kind, who will I leave all those lovely ladies for? grin

8 Likes

Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by ksmart027(m): 10:11am On Aug 15, 2020
buygala:

Auto Sir...
I have never bothered with manual vehicles
Ok, but you still need to learn how to drive manual

1 Like

Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by buygala(m): 10:17am On Aug 15, 2020
ksmart027:

Ok, but you still need to learn how to drive manual

Why Sir grin

Vehicles are already phasing out auto trannies and going driverless...

Even recent 18-wheeler trucks are auto drives..

Heck, even fighter jets, boats and ocean liners are not manual drives..all of them have auto pilot which is a kind of advanced Auto gear...

Manual drives are stress...and life is too short for me to put myself through stress grin

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by uboma(m): 10:22am On Aug 15, 2020
Hilarious driving experience.

For first time drivers, beating one's fear is usually the problem. But in your case, you did well.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by ksmart027(m): 10:23am On Aug 15, 2020
buygala:

Why Sir grin

Vehicles are already phasing out auto trannies and going driverless...

Even recent 18-wheeler trucks are auto drives..

Heck, even fighter jets, boats and ocean liners are not manual drives..all of them have auto pilot which is a kind of advanced Auto gear...

No, manual cars are not phasing out anytime soon, real car enthusiast prefer manual to auto. We have many auto here in naija because we mostly import cars from america, 90 percent of cars in europe are manual.

4 Likes

Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by buygala(m): 3:15pm On Aug 15, 2020
ksmart027:

No, manual cars are not phasing out anytime soon, real car enthusiast prefer manual to auto. We have many auto here in naija because we mostly import cars from america, 90 percent of cars in europe are manual.

90%? ...How did you come by that percentage Sir?

And by your definition of ''car enthusiast", do you mean people who are addicted to suffering? grin

Anyway....Many Super cars these days come with perfectly manually shiftable auto gears...

In any case sef, auto gears are still shiftable sef in some circumstances...

Your opinion is still what it is...an opinion grin

1 Like

Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by ksmart027(m): 4:10pm On Aug 15, 2020
buygala:

90%? ...How did you come by that percentage Sir?

And by your definition of ''car enthusiast", do you mean people who are addicted to suffering? grin

Anyway....Many Super cars these days come with perfectly manually shiftable auto gears...

In any case sef, auto gears are still shiftable sef in some circumstances...

Your opinion is still what it is...an opinion grin
Manual tranny will always make you a better driver, driving a manual cars dont mean you are addicted to suffering, some people also said that auto tranny are made for
lame folks, does it mean that everyone driving auto is lame. As for the 90 percent, you can make your research.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by buygala(m): 5:01pm On Aug 15, 2020
ksmart027:

Manual tranny will always make you a better driver, driving a manual cars dont mean you are addicted to suffering, some people also said that auto tranny are made for
lame folks, does it mean that everyone driving auto is lame. As for the 90 percent, you can make your research.

Manual tranny will make me a better driver as in how?

Is it that a manual gearbox will teach me to follow traffic rules or the Highway code,or that a manual gearbox will teach me how to know my car's stopping distance and acceleration power for quick overtaking, or that a manual gearbox will teach me not how to use my mirrors properly, or that a manual gearbox will teach me how not to receive head while driving?..

I don't get you Sir grin

As for your 90% allegation, you are the one who said it with so much certainty...it's ur wahala to prove grin

5 Likes

Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by buygala(m): 5:03pm On Aug 15, 2020
uboma:
Hilarious driving experience.

For first time drivers, beating one's fear is usually the problem. But in your case, you did well.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Sir grin
Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by ksmart027(m): 5:35pm On Aug 15, 2020
buygala:

Manual tranny will make me a better driver as in how?

Is it that a manual gearbox will teach me to follow traffic rules or the Highway code,or that a manual gearbox will teach me how to know my car's stopping distance and acceleration power for quick overtaking, or that a manual gearbox will teach me not how to use my mirrors properly, or that a manual gearbox will teach me how not to receive head while driving?..

I don't get you Sir grin

As for your 90% allegation, you are the one who said it with so much certainty...it's ur wahala to prove grin
I resist the urge to shalaye, have a nice day

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by buygala(m): 5:40pm On Aug 15, 2020
ksmart027:

I resist the urge to shalaye, have a nice day

There is nothing to shalaye because you have no point Sir grin

4 Likes

Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by adubam(m): 6:47pm On Aug 15, 2020
buygala:

There is nothing to shalaye because you have no point Sir grin

Don't call yourself a driver untill you are conversant with manual drive. You are still amateur in driving.

You've never seen brand new SUVs worth 30m that are manually driven. Please reduce your ego.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by ksmart027(m): 7:22pm On Aug 15, 2020
adubam:

Don't call yourself a driver untill you are conversant with manual drive. You are still amateur in driving.

You've never seen brand new SUVs worth 30m that are manually driven. Please reduce your ego.
Bros dont bother explaining yourself. Just let him drive is automatic.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by nymphomaniac(m): 7:34pm On Aug 15, 2020
I learnt with manual and it took me 2weeks to perfect it and enter the road. I love Manual transmissions sha. Their wahala is just the issue of clutch and constantly having to change the gear between neutral and 1 in traffic. I think my next ride will be manual as well (currently using a manual tranny)

4 Likes

Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by adubam(m): 7:43pm On Aug 15, 2020
ksmart027:

Bros dont bother explaining yourself. Just let him drive is automatic.

So if there's emergency and the only car available is a manual transmission this Mr I know it all will start speaking grammer that I wish it was an automatic drive whereas a manual expert handling an automatic transmission for the first time need no lecture to drive it

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by nymphomaniac(m): 7:47pm On Aug 15, 2020
adubam:

So if there's emergency and the only car available is a manual transmission this Mr I know it all will start speaking grammer that I wish it was an automatic drive whereas a manual expert handling an automatic transmission for the first time need no lecture to drive it
there is a reason there was a progression from manual to automatic sha. Having said this, if one can learn with manual before delving into the realm of automatic, then that should be done. Not everyone has that luxury but that doesn’t make them 100% inferior drivers

5 Likes

Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by ksmart027(m): 7:51pm On Aug 15, 2020
adubam:

He should have learn how to drive with manual and switch to auto when he is done, that is the point i was trying to make before, but op said he dont want to suffer.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by adubam(m): 7:54pm On Aug 15, 2020
nymphomaniac:
there is a reason there was a progression fro manual to automatic sha. Having said this, if one can learn with manual before delving into the realm of automatic, then that should be done. Not everyone has that luxury but that doesn’t make them 100% inferior drivers

Well said but the way he thinks those who rides manual like suffering baffles me. My current manual car can give me a good automatic but I love manual. Some like it because it keeps them in check from dosing off while driving. It's a matter of choice.

Every auto has manual input. Abi you don't use your hand to move the gear to drive and reverse in automatic? Or you don't use your leg to match break and accelerate in automatic transmission!

2 Likes

Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by uboma(m): 8:21pm On Aug 15, 2020
buygala:

Thanks for the vote of confidence Sir grin

You are welcome Sir.
Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by buygala(m): 8:27pm On Aug 15, 2020
adubam:

grin....

Continue deceiving yourself...

Planes,ships, and even submarines are being driven without any manual gear...

So for your mind, a jet fighter pilot or submarine captain is beneath you if he cannot drive a car with manual gear grin

6 Likes

Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by buygala(m): 8:33pm On Aug 15, 2020
adubam:

Which emergency grin

So if there is an emergency and there is only the option of a horse driven carriage and you can't drive that, that makes you an inferior driver?

Or you want to say a horse driven carriage isn't a vehicle? grin...They are the predecessors of the manual stick vehicles...so according to your analogy, a good driver must know how to ride them as wellsad

Ogbeni,carry your suffer head shift to one side abeg grin

7 Likes

Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by buygala(m): 8:39pm On Aug 15, 2020
adubam:

Well said but the way he thinks those who rides manual like suffering baffles me. My current manual car can give me a good automatic but I love manual. Some like it because it keeps them in check from dosing off while driving. It's a matter of choice.

Every auto has manual input. ABI you don't you your hand to move the gear to drive and reverse in automatic? Or you don't use your leg to match break and accelerate in automatic transmission!

That you love missionary style of sex while others love the snake in the monkey shadow style doesn't make you a better fvcker grin

It is your choice if you enjoy suffering...and you honestly have a psychological problem if changing gear manually is what keeps you from falling asleep while driving a vehicle ...

I drove 900km on an auto gear last December ..and I didnt feel drowsy much less sleep...

Check yourself Sir...if you like suffering, some of us don't grin

5 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Car Title Pending From Copart / Kickstarter Or Immobilizer? Please Assist... / Public Car Auction To Hold In Lagos This Saturday - Carsbazr

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.