Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,827 members, 7,810,177 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:32 PM

My Experience While Learning To Drive - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Experience While Learning To Drive (4208 Views)

If You Have Kids In Your Compound, Don’t Be In A Hurry To Drive Out (picture) / Video Of A Dad Teaching His 3year Old Daughter How To Drive Wow / Saudi Women Celebrate News They Will Finally Be Allowed To Drive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by padi94(m): 1:04am On Aug 16, 2020
Good one
Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by Eldemmi(m): 8:15am On Aug 16, 2020
I like this argument of manual vs auto , but please don't let it it lead to abuse and insults sirs.

I learned with manual drive so the first day I drove an automatic I was driving like James bond because I don't need to match clutch..
After that when my friend bought tokunbo Corolla I drove and I think ,it is high time I got to embrace one leg technology... but I will still buy manual car Sha
if I am to choose for my likeness : it will be auto

1 Like

Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by timifakay(m): 11:31am On Aug 16, 2020
buygala:

Not likely grin

Accidents happen tho...I just pray that when or if it does, it won't be real bad

But I try my best Sir grin...

At least I always resist the urge to tailgate, and I never exceed 20km in busy city roads, and I know my brakes as well as they know me grin

The reason it's an accident is because it's unplanned and usually as much as possible is done to prevent it...
Everything dey God hand

Last last, na God dey save person.... Paul Walker was a good driver..but na motor still kill am cry

He wasn't driving
Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by valarinz: 1:33pm On Aug 16, 2020
adubam:

Don't call yourself a driver untill you are conversant with manual drive. You are still amateur in driving.

You've never seen brand new SUVs worth 30m that are manually driven. Please reduce your ego.

How do you guys come to these conclusions biko. Until I can drive manual gear I'm still amateur in driving?

3 Likes

Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by NuvioProcure(f): 12:30pm On Aug 15, 2021
buygala:
PS

I won't advice anyone to learn how to drive how I did...know your limitations and act accordingly..

As for me, I have near perfect eyesight, and good limb coordination...what doctor's call "hand-eye coordination"...in my own case, my hand-foot-eye coordination is above average...I can draw a perfectly straight line without a ruler grin..I suppose that helped me pick up driving as fast as I did...

Finally, never be overconfident...much as I learnt to drive quite fast, i am extremely careful on the wheels...
careful with 120km/hr how?
Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by berbs112(m): 3:33pm On Aug 15, 2021
adubam:

Don't call yourself a driver untill you are conversant with manual drive. You are still amateur in driving.

You've never seen brand new SUVs worth 30m that are manually driven. Please reduce your ego.
you are wrong sir.

1 Like

Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by berbs112(m): 3:35pm On Aug 15, 2021
adubam:

U chose to drive manual and I chose Auto as my choice doesnt make manual gear shift driver a better driver oga.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by diportivo: 6:36pm On Aug 15, 2021
which kind dead thread una come resurrect like dis na?

yes,manual na for sufferhead,we sabi

manual is being phased out.....issokay

na auto hiace dem dey drive interstate upandan

1 Like

Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by nymphomaniac(m): 10:12pm On Aug 15, 2021
diportivo:
which kind dead thread una come resurrect like dis na?

yes,manual na for sufferhead,we sabi

manual is being phased out.....issokay

na auto hiace dem dey drive interstate upandan
where u stand for this gist? I no just understand
Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by diportivo: 11:47pm On Aug 15, 2021
nymphomaniac:
where u stand for this gist? I no just understand

ayam for efribodi and for nobodi cheesy

3 Likes

Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by cromele: 5:41pm On Aug 16, 2021
buygala:
I bought my first car on a friday late last year...

Paid someone 2k to drive it home for me same day...

Paid my Barber 1k to teach me how to drive next day early in the morning....Nigga took me to a football field where he made me run circles in front and reverse mode...Nigga still drove me home...he said I still need more practice before I can enter road...he dey fear make I no go put am under trailer grin

Same afternoon, after eating a huge bowl of Eba, I damned the consequences and drove out into town on my own...Shit was very scary shocked..I had an 'L' on tho...so people went out of their way to avoid me...grin...I drove around for about an hour, and arrived at home without incident...but I had noticed my flaws..

I couldn't drive in a straight line, I couldn't negotiate tight bends without almost going off road, and I had a serious problem with space management, and I had no idea on how to use side mirrors and the rear view mirrors cry

I bought data that night and watched a whole lot of YouTube driving videos on any and all manners of driving scenarios..

Next morning being Sunday, I went on another solo run..I was much better this time and even hit 120km/hr on an empty road...I am sure if I had an instructor, he won't have allowed me do that grin..Who wan die grin

Same Sunday evening, I looked for the most congested part of town and put head there to test my ability to manage my car space and not run into other cars or pedestrians...I hit a keke
from behind who suddenly swerved into the road..People gathered, and when they saw my L sign, they blamed the Keke guy and told him to be careful of who he jumps in front of before Learner driver kill am one day grin ...The bash wasnt serious though as it just peeled a bit of paint on the Keke's bumper..my own car had no scratch as it was my plate number that came in contact with the Keke...So I just told the Keke rider sorry and proceeded on my way grin...

Next day being Monday, I had work to do in a neighbouring state...after another binge of YouTube videos on highway driving, I decided to drive to and fro from that stategrin...Journey was about 300km round trip...

I had read somewhere that learner drivers are not allowed on interstate roads...so by the next morning, I removed my L tags and commenced my journey...I maintained speeds below 70km/hr while going...I sha still managed to kill a baby goat that strayed into the middle of the road cry...One Driver on a YouTube video I watched said never to try to dodge any animal or even human who suddenly jumps into your lane while on high speeds on an interstate highway...Na so I kill the damn goat without even breaking a stride sad

Myself and vehicle arrived destination in one piece aside that vehicle's front was stained a bit with the blood of that baby goat and there were a few minor nicks to the bumper's paint where I struck the goat...

Journey back to base was uneventful and I arrived safely...I managed to up my speeds to 120km/hr...I even overtook a 14-wheeler truck for the first time in my life grin...

When I got home, I threw out my L sign within 4 days of getting it...my reasoning was that I won't push myself to quickly become a better driver if I had the 'L' on...That was how I started driving eveeywhere grin...aside one occassion where I backed into a Police Man's car while leaving the car lot at the police headquarters in my state of residence, I didnt hit anything else..

Fast forward to Christmas time same year, after another binge of YouTube videos of extreme highway driving, I drove for about 900km from my state of residence to Lagos..got there same day I left ...aside a flat tyre at Owo, Ondo State, myself and my dearest Honda Accord 1994 model made it to Lagos without a scratch...I still drove back to Jos same December without event, before a nice lady bought the car off me on Oga Gazzuzz's recommendation...

I refused driving the car to the new owner's location to avoid stories that touch grin...make e no come be say na on that particular journey I will now crash the vehicle learner style...So I paid a driver to deliver the vehicle..I accompanied him Sha grin ...I figured vehicle was no longer mine..so I would do well to keep my learner fingers off it grin

After the exit of my dearest Honda Academy who was patient with me all through my learning driving process, I am on my 2nd car after that...and driving has been a breeze for me smiley ...I have never even scratched my bumper in the last 7 months...My fender was scratched once by a neighbour while trying to back out of our compound...aside that,my vehicles haven't had a single dent despite my driving every day and everywhere...I got my current car soometime in April this year,and I have already put 2000km on
it...As long as there is a road to where I am going to, I drive there grin

Please can I share this on my forum too?

Thanks
Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by Eldemmi(m): 10:33pm On Sep 06, 2021
cromele:

Please can I share this on my forum too?

Thanks

you will pay copyright fee. our buygala we na don miss you oo
Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by Nobody: 8:53am On Dec 10, 2021
adubam:

So if there's emergency and the only car available is a manual transmission this Mr I know it all will start speaking grammer that I wish it was an automatic drive whereas a manual expert handling an automatic transmission for the first time need no lecture to drive it
Guy forget that thing over 99.9% of cars that whites manufacture today is automatic transmission so where do you want to see manual transmission cars.? China and japan are no longer producing it again same as America, and these countries are the highest in manufacturing cars. so where else do you want to see manual transmission cars again. Less I forget do you know that by 2035 they'll stop producing all fuel combustion engine cars .

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by Nobody: 9:02am On Dec 10, 2021
adubam:

Well said but the way he thinks those who rides manual like suffering baffles me. My current manual car can give me a good automatic but I love manual. Some like it because it keeps them in check from dosing off while driving. It's a matter of choice.

Every auto has manual input. ABI you don't you your hand to move the gear to drive and reverse in automatic? Or you don't use your leg to match break and accelerate in automatic transmission!
But we don't change gear from one checkpoint to another the way you manual driver's change it.
If there's a smooth way to France lol and I put the gear to D what will make me put it back to P is when I'm in Parisgrin

1 Like

Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by temmym4(m): 8:17pm On Dec 12, 2021
buygala:

I couldn't drive in a straight line, I couldn't negotiate tight bends without almost going off road, and I had a serious problem with space management, and I had no idea on how to use side mirrors and the rear view mirrors cry

I bought data that night and watched a whole lot of YouTube driving videos on any and all manners of driving scenarios..

Next morning being Sunday, I went on another solo run..I was much better this time and even hit 120km/hr on an empty road...

Same Sunday evening, I looked for the most congested part of town and put head there to test my ability to manage my car space and not run into other cars or pedestrians...I hit a keke
from behind who suddenly swerved into the road..

Next day being Monday, I had work to do in a neighbouring state...after another binge of YouTube videos on highway driving, I decided to drive to and fro from that stategrin...Journey was about 300km round trip...

while going...I sha still managed to kill a baby goat that strayed into the middle of the road cry...One Driver on a YouTube video I watched said never to try to dodge any animal or even human who suddenly jumps into your lane while on high speeds on an interstate highway...Na so I kill the damn goat without even breaking a stride sad

Journey back to base was uneventful and I arrived safely...I managed to up my speeds to 120km/hr...I even overtook a 14-wheeler truck for the first time in my life grin...

Fast forward to Christmas time same year, after another binge of YouTube videos of extreme highway driving, I drove for about 900km from my state of residence to Lagos..got there same day I left ...

I still drove back to Jos same December without event, before a nice lady bought the car off me on Oga Gazzuzz's recommendation...

Pele, sweet talker grin person wey dey use mouth drive no dey jam, them fit drive from Lagos to maiduguri in just 30minutes with reserve tank grin

U bought a car on friday, prior to not having any idea about driving.. then you successfully drove 300km interstate the next monday. How does that add up bro? u be magician? Na toy? Abi video game?

According to your story...An Amateur who learnt how to drive in just 2 days mostly with youtube video... couldn't drive on a straight line, couldn't negotiate tight bends without almost going off road, have serious problem with space management and had no idea on how to use mirrors... then all of a sudden, on sunday, he drove 120km/h alone.. then on monday, he drove a distance of 300km on a Nigerian highway with insane, impatient drivers and pot holes? Come on oga, u wont make some of the city driving not to talk of the highway.

If u make an attempt, your poor steering grip and maneuvering, Amateur braking skill, poor coordination and zero experience will lead u into the bush at the slightest confusion.

You wont only kill baby goat, You will crash on earth them go hear the sound in Mars and Jupiter my brother. I pray that won't be your portion.

I like your fantasy, but don't confuse or complicate issues for those who are learning out there and probably thinking of attempting what you put up here. It's a guaranteed crash with injury or even straight death.

If you have driven 900KM straight journey, then driving to your car buyer's destination will be a piece of cake..

Your mouth is sweet, if you continue this way, you will one day be in trouble. Trust me grin

Be mature and sincere henceforth bro. No offence intended. God bless u wink

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by buygala(m): 9:00pm On Dec 12, 2021
temmym4:

Pele, sweet talker grin person wey dey use mouth drive no dey jam, them fit drive from Lagos to maiduguri in just 30minutes with reserve tank grin

U bought a car on friday, prior to not having any idea about driving.. then you successfully drove 300km interstate the next monday. How does that add up bro? u be magician? Na toy? Abi video game?

According to your story...An Amateur who learnt how to drive in just 2 days mostly with youtube video... couldn't drive on a straight line, couldn't negotiate tight bends without almost going off road, have serious problem with space management and had no idea on how to use mirrors... then all of a sudden, on sunday, he drove 120km/h alone.. then on monday, he drove a distance of 300km on a Nigerian highway with insane, impatient drivers and pot holes? Come on oga, u wont make some of the city driving not to talk of the highway.

If u make an attempt, your poor steering grip and maneuvering, Amateur braking skill, poor coordination and zero experience will lead u into the bush at the slightest confusion.

You wont only kill baby goat, You will crash on earth them go hear the sound in Mars and Jupiter my brother. I pray that won't be your portion.

I like your fantasy, but don't confuse or complicate issues for those who are learning out there and probably thinking of attempting what you put up here. It's a guaranteed crash with injury or even straight death.

If you have driven 900KM straight journey, then driving to your car buyer's destination will be a piece of cake..

Your mouth is sweet, if you continue this way, you will one day be in trouble. Trust me grin

Be mature and sincere henceforth bro. No offence intended. God bless u wink

Calm down..for you to be debating these facts, I can imagine how slow you guys are in your family cry..

People have been known to learn how to acceptably fly single engined aircraft within days or even a week, much less an automatic vehicle... not everyone is a slow learner or has shitty limb-eye coordination like you grin

Whether you believe it or not, my learning curve on most things is quite sharp... besides I did the learning to drive with an automatic vehicle, which eleminates the need to learn clutching and manual gear-shifting in addition to the other stuff...I spent most of my childhood playing Need for Speed and Gran Turismo video games...So I can say I wasn't totally novice to driving...an adjustment here and there and I was good to go..

The way u dey go so,try marry person wey im brain sharp, make your kids for get small hope smiley..Because if your children slow like you, your progeny may likely end up being total imbeciles before the 3rd generation sef.....

You must have an IQ lesser than that of a lizard to think learning to drive an automatic sedan isn't something that can't be picked up in a few days (for someone with a functional brain and limbs, with small liver grin)...

And about driving the car to the buyer's place, I clearly stated I didn't want to leave anything to chance...Even Professional drivers get in accidents..If not, people like Jules Bianchi and Ayrton Senna would still be alive ....

I didn't make that drive because I had already collected a deposit on the car and so felt the need to keep my newbie hands off the vehicle, since it wasn't mine anymore smiley ...

2 Likes

Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by buygala(m): 9:18pm On Dec 12, 2021
NuvioProcure:
careful with 120km/hr how?

120km/hr when I can...

Lesser when the road dictates I can't.

One can do 170km/hr and still be more careful than one doing 80km/hr

In case you don't know, there are roads where if you are doing less than 120km, you are a risk to yourself and other road users.

1 Like

Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by temmym4(m): 9:51pm On Dec 12, 2021
buygala:

Calm down..for you to be debating these facts, I can imagine how slow you guys are in your family cry..

People have been known to learn how to acceptably fly single engined aircraft within days or even a week, much less an automatic vehicle... not everyone is a slow learner or has shitty limb-eye coordination like you grin

Whether you believe it or not, my learning curve on most things is quite sharp... besides I did the learning to drive with an automatic vehicle, which eleminates the need to learn clutching and manual gear-shifting in addition to the other stuff...I spent most of my childhood playing Need for Speed and Gran Turismo video games...So I can say I wasn't totally novice to driving...an adjustment here and there and I was good to go..

The way u dey go so,try marry person wey im brain sharp. Because if your children slow like you, your progeny may likely end up being imbeciles before the 3rd generation sef.....

You must be pretty close to being an slowpoke to think learning to drive an automatic sedan isn't something that can't be picked up in a few days (for someone with a functional brain and limbs, with small liver grin)...

And about driving the car to the buyer's place, I clearly stated I didn't want to leave anything to chance...Even Professional drivers get in accidents..If not, people like Jules Bianchi and Ayrton Senna would still be alive ....

I didn't make that drive because I had already collected a deposit on the car and so felt the need to keep my newbie hands off the vehicle, since it wasn't mine anymore smiley ...

Just exactly as i imagined. I knew u were going to come out with an insult. I dont blame you bro. Just like i said earlier, i have met your kinds. They move around with just their mouths running. Check them out, they are not worth a penny.

Internet is easy, u say whatever u want and claim whatever u so wish. When u grow up, come back and read your post and see how much sense it makes.

Kids like you who attempted what you posted up there ends up either in the mogue or end up distroying other people's vehicle and properties.

I sold my old camry to an E-diot of the same like mind with yours, he came down, paid and crashed on the way to lagos with the car. I am sure he got his motivation from someone like you.

I said it, his fantasy was from his Need for speed game. The Blo.ody fo.ol is transferring same to the outside world.

For the sane ones out there, Don't get me twisted, there are fast learners who pick up driving skills at the shortest interval and yes there are people who learnt most driving skills and techniques online, but not just with killing baby goats.. they make mistakes, pull down buildings, fences and crashes into cars, more reasons why u need a professional's direction while learning... and NO, "2 day" car drivers don't drive 300km alone on highway or at 120km/hr. Its suicide.

The stup.i.dest thought anyone could ever think of is to feel "IT IS AN AUTOMATIC, U CAN EASILY GRASP THE DRIVING SKILL IN 2 DAYS AND DRIVE ON THE HIGHWAY AT 300KM.. 120KM/H...... More reason we have ass.holes and bloody fo.ols driving around today. They claim to be professionals 2.

If them call driver now, this 2-Day self learning man.nerless do.nkey will raise his hands too grin. Na wah o.

every professional driver knows there is more to driving than an automatic/manual gear.

By the way u dont strike me like someone who has got intelligence whatsoever, rather u sound like a childish and restless stVpid young boy who has got a lot of fantasies running through his head.

and No.. u didn't make that journey, u are not that calm to do so. Your body too dey shake. U will only end up in the morgue if u do so. It's not for u.

U can go to hell anyway. I dont care bro.

Na Lie go kee you by the way.

Next thread....

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by buygala(m): 9:53pm On Dec 12, 2021
temmym4:

Just exactly as i imagined. I knew u were going to come out with an insult. I dont blame you bro. Just like i said earlier, i have met your kinds. They move around with just their mouths running. Check them out, they are not worth a penny.

Internet is easy, u say whatever u want and claim whatever u so wish. When u grow up, come back and read your post and see how much sense it makes.

Kids like you who attempted what you posted up there ends up either in the mogue or end up distroying other people's vehicle and properties.

I sold my old camry to an E-diot of the same like minds with yours, he came down, paid and crashed on the way to lagos with the car. I am sure he got his motivation from someone like you.

For the sane ones out there, Don't get me twisted, there are fast learners who pick up driving skills at the shortest interval and yes there are people who learnt most driving skills and techniques online, but not just with killing baby goats.. they make mistakes, pull down buildings, fences and crashes into cars, more reasons why u need a professional's direction while learning... and NO, "2 day" car drivers don't drive 300km alone on highway or at 120km/hr. Its suicide.

The stup.i.dest thought anyone could ever think of is to feel "IT IS AN AUTOMATIC, U CAN EASILY GRASP THE DRIVING SKILL IN 2 DAYS AND DRIVE ON THE HIGHWAY AT 300KM.. 120KM/H...... More reason we have ass.holes and bloody fo.ols driving around today. They claim to be professionals 2.

If them call driver now, this 2-Day self learning man.nerless do.nkey will raise his hands too grin. Na wah o.

every professional driver knows there is more to driving than an automatic/manual gear.

By the way u dont strike me like someone who has got intelligence whatsoever, rather u sound like a childish and restless stVpid young boy who has got a lot of fantasies running through his head.

and No.. u didn't make that journey, u are not that calm to do so. Your body too dey shake. U will only end up in the morgue if u do so. It's not for u.

Next thread....

k smiley

2 Likes

Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by skywalker240(m): 11:31am On Dec 13, 2021
buygala:

Auto Sir...

I have never bothered with manual vehicles
Then my good sir, you're still a rookie grin

1 Like

Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by Cokahot: 11:50am On Dec 13, 2021
I drove my car wrecklessly for 9months with no dent,not till the 11th mo th when my ball joint damaged my fender and an idiot bastard Muslim man scratched my rear bumper paint by the left,the idiot was trying to maneuver and did not turn steering 90°. U know what jts like to have a lil patch of dent o your paint on white at obvious careless drivers on the road now I have 3 irredeemable blacks stains on my car. Las las na 1st body
Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by Sixtyfive65: 11:58am On Dec 13, 2021
temmym4:

I sold my old camry to an E-diot of the same like mind with yours, he came down, paid and crashed on the way to lagos with the car. I am sure he got his motivation from someone like you.

I said it, his fantasy was from his Need for speed game. The Blo.ody fo.ol is transferring same to the outside world.

Next thread....

bringing guns in a knife fight.. Na wa o

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experience While Learning To Drive by Abdulsobur02: 7:25pm On Dec 13, 2021
Differentiate:

Guy forget that thing over 99.9% of cars that whites manufacture today is automatic transmission so where do you want to see manual transmission cars.? China and japan are no longer producing it again same as America, and these countries are the highest in manufacturing cars. so where else do you want to see manual transmission cars again. Less I forget do you know that by 2035 they'll stop producing all fuel combustion engine cars .

Calm down. Alot of cars are still manufactured with manual transmission these days. Japanese cars like Honda civic and Toyota Corolla can still be gotten in manual. Same with alot of European cars. Even American cars like the Cadillac cts blackwing comes in manual.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Front-end Rattling Noise Emanating From The Suspension / What Do You Think Of This Steering Wheel? [PHOTO] / Kickstarter Or Immobilizer? Please Assist...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.