Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,081 members, 7,811,024 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:03 PM

Will I Have Customs Problem With Green Color Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Will I Have Customs Problem With Green Color Car (3909 Views)

The Green-White-Green Car Spotted In A School In Kebbi State (Photos) / Overheating Problem With My Isuzu Rodeo / Brake Disc And Abs Problem With Toyota Highlander (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will I Have Customs Problem With Green Color Car by omoola007(m): 4:14am On Feb 16, 2011
Hello NL,

I am in the process of shipping a Hunter GREEN Acura TL to Naija and got a note from the shipper that there may be a problem with shipping green colour car to Naija.

Does anyone have experience with this? i could not find anything on NL or online regarding this issue.

thanks

Re: Will I Have Customs Problem With Green Color Car by Nobody: 4:23am On Feb 16, 2011
the shipper may be right.
Re: Will I Have Customs Problem With Green Color Car by makeucumxx: 9:21am On Feb 16, 2011
I use the only green Range Rover Sport in lagos and never had issues with anybody.
Re: Will I Have Customs Problem With Green Color Car by femmy2010(m): 9:32am On Feb 16, 2011
You wouldn't have problem with that.
Re: Will I Have Customs Problem With Green Color Car by afrobaby(f): 11:38am On Feb 16, 2011
Sure, u won;t av any problem, my fiance uses a green car.
Re: Will I Have Customs Problem With Green Color Car by BizBooks(m): 12:02pm On Feb 16, 2011
But does anybody know if the law has changed. I remember it used to be illegal to drive a green-coloured car in Nigeria in the 80s and 90s. That colour was reserved for the military.
Re: Will I Have Customs Problem With Green Color Car by Fogman(m): 2:39pm On Feb 16, 2011
Surprised! Because i ve seen lots of green coloured cars around.
Re: Will I Have Customs Problem With Green Color Car by omoola007(m): 2:51pm On Feb 16, 2011
Thanks everyone for you input. i will ship the car today and give an update once it clears.

this is what makes Naija interesting, all these obscure unwritten laws that can significantly affect business and life in general.

hopefully i won't have to lubricate pockets to get my car.
Re: Will I Have Customs Problem With Green Color Car by Fhemmmy: 3:12pm On Feb 16, 2011
According to the new law, the shipping agents sends that out now to the shipper now, cos i think the Nigerian govt wanna reserves the colors for the military, pathetic, but we cant do much about it
Re: Will I Have Customs Problem With Green Color Car by omoola007(m): 5:45pm On Feb 16, 2011
Alright i would rather be safe than sorry. The car will get a new paint job before i send it to naija. i will paint it super bright yellow in protest.
Re: Will I Have Customs Problem With Green Color Car by Fhemmmy: 7:58pm On Feb 16, 2011
omoola007:

Alright i would rather be safe than sorry. The car will get a new paint job before i send it to naija. i will paint it super bright yellow in protest.

Lol
Re: Will I Have Customs Problem With Green Color Car by eros(m): 10:33pm On Feb 16, 2011
omoola007:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

The thing with green colored car is not true. I drive a green 2001 Acura TL and have being driving it for almost 2 years now without any issues. I live very close to 2 Army barracks, have driven past alot of police check points, police stations and whatever law enforcement agency Nigeria has without any harassment.

So rock on bro. Acura TL rocks.
Re: Will I Have Customs Problem With Green Color Car by Fhemmmy: 12:00am On Feb 17, 2011
eros:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

The thing with green colored car is not true. I drive a green 2001 Acura TL and have being driving it for almost 2 years now without any issues. I live very close to 2 Army barracks, have driven past alot of police check points, police stations and whatever law enforcement agency Nigeria has without any harassment.

So rock on bro. Acura TL rocks.

Here is the footnote from the shipping company . . . . .word for word

[size=18pt]"**Please note that vehicles being shipped to Lagos Nigeria, with dark green, Nigerian military colored exterior, have been causing issues with the Nigerian military. If you have a vehicle that fits this description we highly suggest that you paint the vehicle prior to exporting or the vehicle might be subject to being impounded once discharged in Nigeria.**
**Please note that we are now offering freight collect to Cotonou, Benin and Lagos Nigeria with our Mitsui service. Please inquire for further details**
**Feel free to inquire about our inland transportation services**
[/size]
Re: Will I Have Customs Problem With Green Color Car by eros(m): 12:07am On Feb 17, 2011
Fhemmmy:

Here is the footnote from the shipping company . . . . .word for word

[size=18pt]"**Please note that vehicles being shipped to Lagos Nigeria, with dark green, Nigerian military colored exterior, have been causing issues with the Nigerian military. If you have a vehicle that fits this description we highly suggest that you paint the vehicle prior to exporting or the vehicle might be subject to being impounded once discharged in Nigeria.**
**Please note that we are now offering freight collect to Cotonou, Benin and Lagos Nigeria with our Mitsui service. Please inquire for further details**
**Feel free to inquire about our inland transportation services**
[/size]

Hmmmmm! ! ! I wonder what happened when my Acura passed through the port in 2009. Well, i guess the law might have changed after then. Everything about Nigeria is unstable. Well am still cruising my ride until it enters the market for replacement. cool cool cool cool

Re: Will I Have Customs Problem With Green Color Car by Fhemmmy: 12:57am On Feb 17, 2011
eros:

Hmmmmm! ! ! I wonder what happened when my Acura passed through the port in 2009. Well, i guess the law might have changed after then. Everything about Nigeria is unstable. Well am still cruising my ride until it enters the market for replacement. cool cool cool cool

The Nonsense just start late last year . . . . . . . . .
Re: Will I Have Customs Problem With Green Color Car by VolvoS60(m): 10:49pm On Mar 09, 2011
You are more likely to have problems with dark green vehicles (as the shippers noted) - perhaps the Acura of one of the other posters has a lighter shade of green. This matter is just one more example of the strange (written or unwritten) "laws" that the Nigerian army has forced in order to confer some dubious priviledge on its largely inept and incompetent personnel. To the best of my knowledge, there is no other written or unwritten law prohibiting the use of blue or white (colours of the air force & navy) vehicles by civilians. Why the special treatment for soldiers?

Unfortunately, Nigeria being what it is, you could actually have some difficulty if you brought in your vehicle and you happened to run into some inebriated soldiers who want to prove a point. The sense of entitlement which so many of them have is something which runs through virtually all their interactions with civilians. I have actually heard stories of people (civilians) being forced to strip in public because these unfortunate souls had the nerve to wear dark green clothing (which as we all know, is reserved for the almighty nigerian army).

OP - If you do not want to respray your vehicle, then you might want to prepare for a confrontation at some point. And if at any time i see a yellow acura in lagos, then i'll know that my post has been long overtaken by events cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Car Gurus Come In Here...gazzuzz Et All...your Professional Advice Is Key / Mercedes S Classes W126. W140 W215 W220 / My Scanned Honda Codes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.