Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,849 members, 7,820,961 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:23 AM

What Is The Standard For The Good Life? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Is The Standard For The Good Life? (378 Views)

How Much Is Needed To Live A Good Life In Nigeria / Build The Standard Of Your Company With IRCA Lead Auditor Certifications / Good Phone Is Good Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Standard For The Good Life? by Nobody: 7:50am On Aug 17, 2020
Hello there nairalanders.I have noticed a particular thing about we Nigerians in contrast with the westerners(Oyinbo people).An average working Nigerian apart from having a good and sustained family wants to own at least a house ,a car before old age sets in.Deciphering from peoples conversations,grumblings and expression ,this is the race most people are running especially the married class.In contrast to this ,most white people do not even plan to own a house or a car(at least from what I can perceive) and still yet they live a contented ,"good life".
An elderly man was talking recently and I had to just smile and l did not want to argue with him of course.He had just moved to his two storey duplex from his former bungalow.He said he could now boast of being an achiever now and some other things.Then I thought,"its all just sentiments" because to me all that matters is comfort whether you reside in a flat or bungalow or duplex.And to some people the most important thing is privacy.The standard varies with people,places,gender,e.t.c
Some people have a taste for everyday extravagance "if its not an everyday party,its not worth it",we have both male and female falling in this class.
For some people especially the elderly ones, all that matters is the family,once they can sufficiently provide for their family its already rosy.
There comes a time in the life of every undergraduate and hustling teenager when you have to choose between chasing the grand dreams and the realistic dreams especially if you grew up in this country and from a humble background.
So what should be the standard for " the good life" ?
Re: What Is The Standard For The Good Life? by vickyfrancis1(m): 8:14am On Aug 17, 2020
well for me the standard is for me to just be comfortable, eat whatever I like, travel to wherever I want, pay bills and help people in any way I can. I don't even want to be a billionaire not that it's bad ooo but I don't see the essence of acquiring so much wealth here on earth when the average life span of every human is 90yrs... I don't see the need to be greedy when others are suffering.
That's my humble opinion.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Standard For The Good Life? by Nobody: 7:57pm On Aug 17, 2020
vickyfrancis1:
well for me the standard is for me to just be comfortable, eat whatever I like, travel to wherever I want, pay bills and help people in any way I can. I don't even want to be a billionaire not that it's bad ooo but I don't see the essence of acquiring so much wealth here on earth when the average life span of every human is 90yrs... I don't see the need to be greedy when others are suffering.
I really appreciate your contribution.But if we check around us ,most people crave power in addition to wealth,what is your take on this?Is it a gift or a curse?
Re: What Is The Standard For The Good Life? by vickyfrancis1(m): 9:04pm On Aug 17, 2020
Bayodiamond22:
I really appreciate your contribution.But if we check around us ,most people crave power in addition to wealth,what is your take on this?Is it a gift or a curse?

Well it all boils down to individual differences or choices. to me I prefer to be wealthy but anonymous. some persons have different reasons why they are lusting for power, so it can as well be a gift or a curse. taking our politicians for an example, their quest for power is strictly out of greed.
Re: What Is The Standard For The Good Life? by ashimiu2020(m): 10:18pm On Aug 17, 2020
vickyfrancis1:
Re: What Is The Standard For The Good Life? by Nobody: 11:44pm On Aug 17, 2020
vickyfrancis1:

Well it all boils down to individual differences or choices. to me I prefer to be wealthy but anonymous. some persons have different reasons why they are lusting for power, so it can as well be a gift or a curse. taking our politicians for an example, their quest for power is strictly out of greed.
The rich low key life is your own definition of good life.That's OK actually.
Re: What Is The Standard For The Good Life? by Nobody: 10:38am On Nov 12, 2020
picture upload

Re: What Is The Standard For The Good Life? by Nobody: 5:40pm On Nov 13, 2020
pics uploaded

Re: What Is The Standard For The Good Life? by Nobody: 9:23pm On Nov 14, 2020
pics uploaded.

Re: What Is The Standard For The Good Life? by Nobody: 9:39pm On Nov 14, 2020
pics uploaded

Re: What Is The Standard For The Good Life? by Nobody: 7:10am On Nov 15, 2020
Pics uploaded

Re: What Is The Standard For The Good Life? by Nobody: 7:13am On Nov 15, 2020
Pics upload

Re: What Is The Standard For The Good Life? by Nobody: 7:29am On Nov 15, 2020
pics upload

Re: What Is The Standard For The Good Life? by Educonomist: 9:39am On Nov 15, 2020
The standard for good life is subjective. What may be consider as a good life for Mr A might not be for Mr B.
Well, mine might be having d resources to live a comfortable life, a good income, a good house, car, health, be able to send my children to one of d best schools, travalling abroad for vacation etc
Re: What Is The Standard For The Good Life? by Nobody: 10:16am On Nov 15, 2020
Educonomist:
The standard for good life is subjective. What may be consider as a good life for Mr A might not be for Mr B.
Well, mine might be having d resources to live a comfortable life, a good income, a good house, car, health, be able to send my children to one of d best schools, travalling abroad for vacation etc
Mmmm
Re: What Is The Standard For The Good Life? by Nobody: 10:18am On Nov 15, 2020
pics uploaded

(1) (Reply)

Nairaland / Unemployment Insurance | Purpose And Who Is Eligible / Become A Software Developer Before The End Of 2021

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.