Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,043 members, 7,825,312 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 11:26 AM

The Real Reason Behind Afam Power Shut Down (oyigbo) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Real Reason Behind Afam Power Shut Down (oyigbo) (461 Views)

National Grid Restored After Fire At Afam Power Plant. / Angry Youths Shut Afam Power Station, Throw Rivers Into Darkness / Photos From 240MW Afam Power Plant Constructed By Buhari In Rivers State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Real Reason Behind Afam Power Shut Down (oyigbo) by megafox: 8:21am On Aug 17, 2020
I read from this forum a post (https://www.nairaland.com/6056647/angry-youths-shut-afam-power) citing the publications from a national dailies ( https://thenationonlineng.net/angry-youths-shut-afam-power-station-throw-rivers-into-darkness/)

The fact is that lies keeps us in futility.

I live here in Oyigbo, Around Afam, and we are affected by this blackout.

Here is the main reason ...

Almost one month ago, the management of the power stations announced in their usual manner the shut down to enable a 7 days routine service and maintenance of their facilities. This is not unknown to is here as it comes once a while.

After the 7 days and running into 2 to 3 weeks no light yet.

The various communities affected met with the management to find out what is happening.

The outcome outraged not only the youths but the entire communities.

The Afam station management started demanding that the Host Communities start paying for light. This same incidence happened in 2018 and the station was shut down to national grid line... Which attracted Fashiola and other reps.

The host communities housing this big facilities had asked the management to relocate and move out of their lands if they must pay for light ... You can't take our lands for free and also asking us to pay.

The reports of youths shutting down the station did not tell the public why?

The company refused restoring their light but had the national grid and supply to other areas working... This led to the total shit down.

How can I become a tenant in my own land?

Meanwhile, all these companies in Oyigbo are not bringing anything positive to the land... You can see the roads as attached. These are Afam Road... No single road in Oyigbo that is motorable. People are suffering here and light being the only gain here, you still want them to pay while you are occupying their vast land.

The Federal Government and state should look into this and also do their roads... Oyigbo is housing a lot of companies ranging from Afam power plant to lots of oil firms and other production companies, yet no development on sight.

Source: EYE WITNESS ( You can find out from your contacts in Oyigbo)

Re: The Real Reason Behind Afam Power Shut Down (oyigbo) by donbachi(m): 8:25am On Aug 17, 2020
Naso e be with any nearby locality,wey dey share boundary with aba.
Re: The Real Reason Behind Afam Power Shut Down (oyigbo) by seanfer(m): 8:34am On Aug 17, 2020
Before you blame the Companies for not doing road. You should blame the Government of the state that want the companies to give them the money and they construct the roads. The same road issue caused issue between Wike and Eleme petrochemical and Indorama in 2015.
The state government should let the companies do their part and not to ask them to give them the money. What are all the representatives from Oyigbo and Etche doing in house of assembly and Representative. They’re the number enemies of their people.
Re: The Real Reason Behind Afam Power Shut Down (oyigbo) by megafox: 8:56am On Aug 17, 2020
seanfer:
Before you blame the Companies for not doing road. You should blame the Government of the state that want the companies to give them the money and they construct the roads. The same road issue caused issue between Wike and Eleme petrochemical and Indorama in 2015.
The state government should let the companies do their part and not to ask them to give them the money. What are all the representatives from Oyigbo and Etche doing in house of assembly and Representative. They’re the number enemies of their people.

Going through my post, I called out both the state, FG and the companies...
The main deal here is to clarify the lies that made it out to media and public that is making it now look like angry youths just woke up to shut down the power stations. They refused to tell us the reasons behind it. How can a landlord pay a tenant occupying his own land?
Re: The Real Reason Behind Afam Power Shut Down (oyigbo) by otokx(m): 9:01am On Aug 17, 2020
The company should pay rent, lease, compensation for the land while the host community should get prepaid meters and pay for the light they consume.
Re: The Real Reason Behind Afam Power Shut Down (oyigbo) by seanfer(m): 9:36am On Aug 17, 2020
megafox:

Going through my post, I called out both the state, FG and the companies...
The main deal here is to clarify the lies that made it out to media and public that is making it now look like angry youths just woke up to shut down the power stations. They refused to tell us the reasons behind it. How can a landlord pay a tenant occupying his own land?

The youth leaders of Oyigbo Victor Ehiye and Ejike Dike are presently on Nigerian info ph, denying that the youths shutdown the power plant.
between the PHED and the youths who is the liar?

(1) (Reply)

Illicit Act Of Adams Oshiomole During His Tenure As Edo State Gov. / How We Can Stop The Bandits Killing People In Katsina / APC Singer In Kano Generates N57m From Buhari Supporters To Sing New Song

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.