Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,452 members, 7,819,664 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:12 PM

How I Started As A Graphic Designer - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / How I Started As A Graphic Designer (2874 Views)

How To Get Started As A Freelance Graphic Designer / I started my journey as a UI/UX designer today. I tried google / Rate My First Work As A Graphic Designer (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Started As A Graphic Designer by designosaheed: 10:15pm On Aug 18, 2020
My journey into the field of graphics design started in 2016 while I was an undergraduate in the University.

I was fascinated at how one of my neighbors could make designs using Corel Draw. Out of curiosity, I asked him to teach me.

However, he discouraged me from learning graphics design. He told me graphics design doesn't pay well.

Based on his level of exposure at the time, he told me, "If you learn graphics design, people will be paying you maximum of ₦1500 for flyers and logo designs."

However, I have found that to be far from the truth.

There are clients who pay more for design projects. The amount a client pays for design depends on the value he attaches to it.

After my discussion with my friend, I lost in interest in graphics design. And faced my studies squarely.

I graduated with good grades, and proceeded for my youth service.

During my youth service, I realized most corps members are poorly paid by their Places of Primary Assignment.

As you also know, most corps members don't get permanent appointment at their PPA after POP even for the few that have well paying PPA.

My parents don't have the right connection to secure me a well paying job at any Federal or State Government parastatal.

I had to look for a skill to learn. I searched online for high paying skills to learn.

To my surprise, I saw graphics design as one of the high paying skills.

Remember my friend in the University told me graphics design isn't a lucrative skill.

Why could he have made such assumption?

As I wondered and looked for ways to make reasonable amount from graphics design, I realized I can work for international clients and be paid in foreign currency.

To make money from freelancing websites, you need to be good at what you do.

You don't have to be an expert. It's advisable to learn on the job. The more projects you work on, the better you become.

I learnt the basics of graphics design for three months by watching YouTube videos and free Udemy courses.

YouTube channels such as Muhammed Achraf, The Futur, PixImperfect, and Phlearn helped in my learning process.

There are several freelance marketplaces. Fiverr, Upwork, 99design, Crowddesign are common example used by designers.

I registered on Fiverr. Optimized my gigs for clicks and impressions. Shared my gigs on different social media platforms.

As a new seller on Fiverr, it can be really frustrating before getting your first client.

To overcome this challenge, I purchased a review by paying a friend to make a purchase of my gig.

Three days after getting a review, I got my first order. Ever since then, I have been making decent sales through gig orders.

Contrary to my friends assumption, I have made more money on design projects.

If there is any skill want to learn(as long as it's lucrative), please do. Don't listen to people who give advice based on their myopic views.

There are two sets of people in any skill. Those who make meagre income and those who make decent income

The difference between the two sets of people is how they position themselves for opportunities.

Fiverr isn't the only way to make more money. By uploading your past projects on social media platforms like Facebook and Instagram, you can sign international clients and get paid well.

Aside having international clients, some Nigerians also pay well for design projects.

Your marketing and sales skill will different you from low income earners.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Started As A Graphic Designer by Nobody: 3:48am On Aug 19, 2020
I'm wowed
Re: How I Started As A Graphic Designer by Offpoint: 4:14am On Aug 19, 2020
Nice, but my advice to those intending to go into the field... Don't go into it because of money. Graphics is not ALL ABOUT MONEY, but passion.

If you're driven by money, you'll be disappointed.
It's not a get rich quick scheme.

Read the op very well the YEAR he started till date, he might make it sound easy, but he knows what he's been through to get the stage of making money.

3 Likes

Re: How I Started As A Graphic Designer by Jh0wsef(m): 8:05am On Aug 19, 2020
designosaheed:
My journey into the field of graphics design started in 2016 while I was an undergraduate in the University.

I was fascinated at how one of my neighbors could make designs using Corel Draw. Out of curiosity, I asked him to teach me.

However, he discouraged me from learning graphics design. He told me graphics design doesn't pay well.

Based on his level of exposure at the time, he told me, "If you learn graphics design, people will be paying you maximum of ₦1500 for flyers and logo designs."

There are clients who pay more for design projects. The amount a client pays for design depends on the value he attaches to it.

After my discussion with my friend, I lost in interest in graphics design. And faced my studies squarely.

During my youth service, I realized most corps members are poorly paid by their Places of Primary Assignment.

As you also know, most corps members don't get permanent appointment at their PPA after POP even for the few that have well paying PPA.

My parents don't have the right connection to secure me a well paying job at any Federal or State Government parastatal.

I had to look for a skill to learn. I searched online for high paying skills to learn.

To my surprise, I saw graphics design as one of the high paying skills.

Remember my friend in the University told me graphics design isn't a lucrative skill.

Why could he have made such assumption?

As I wondered and looked for ways to make reasonable amount from graphics design, I realized I can work for international clients and be paid in foreign currency.

To make money from freelancing websites, you need to be good at what you do.

You don't have to be an expert. It's advisable to learn on the job. The more projects you work on, the better you become.

I learnt the basics of graphics design for three months by watching YouTube videos and free Udemy courses.

YouTube channels such as Muhammed Achraf, The Futur, PixImperfect, and Phlearn helped in my learning process.

There are several freelance marketplaces. Fiverr, Upwork, 99design, Crowddesign are common example used by designers.

I registered on Fiverr. Optimized my gigs for clicks and impressions. Shared my gigs on different social media platforms.

As a new seller on Fiverr, it can be really frustrating before getting your first client.

To overcome this challenge, I purchased a review by paying a friend to make a purchase of my gig.

Three days after getting a review, I got my first order. Ever since then, I have been making decent sales through gig orders.

Contrary to my friends assumption, I have made more money on design projects.

If there is any skill want to learn(as long as it's lucrative), please do. Don't listen to people who give advice based on their myopic views.

There are two sets of people in any skill. Those who make meagre income and those who make decent income

The difference between the two sets of people is how they position themselves for opportunities.

Fiverr isn't the only way to make more money. By uploading your past projects on social media platforms like Facebook and Instagram, you can sign international clients and get paid well.

Aside having international clients, some Nigerians also pay well for design projects.

Your marketing and sales skill will different you from low income earners.

Great info bro. However, how can I use fiverr!? It's quite frustrating for beginners. Even Upwork as well
Re: How I Started As A Graphic Designer by JentuPrinz(m): 12:43pm On Aug 19, 2020
[quote author=designosaheed post=92971836]My journey into the field of graphics design started in 2016 while I was an undergraduate in the University.

During my youth service, I realized most

Do someone need computer training before starting to learn?
Re: How I Started As A Graphic Designer by designosaheed: 9:17am On Aug 20, 2020
Offpoint:
Nice, but my advice to those intending to go into the field... Don't go into it because of money. Graphics is not ALL ABOUT MONEY, but passion.

Read the op very well the YEAR he started till date, he might make it sound easy, but he knows what he's been through to get the stage of making money.

Thank you for your contribution. I am still work in progress. I always have to keep learning and improving on my skills.

As you rightly pointed out, passion is an important factor in determining success at any career.
Re: How I Started As A Graphic Designer by designosaheed: 11:47am On Aug 21, 2020
@Jh0wsef: Yes. It's true. It's quite difficult as a beginner on Fiverr and Upwork because the competition is high. There are several other people offering the same service as you.

After the first few sales, you wouldn't find it will be easier.

@JentuPrinz: You need to master the use of Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop and Adobe InDesign.

However, what you want to do will determine the suitable one for you.

Graphics design is wide.

1 Like

Re: How I Started As A Graphic Designer by JentuPrinz(m): 7:24pm On Aug 21, 2020
designosaheed:
@Jh0wsef: Yes. It's true. It's quite difficult as a beginner on Fiverr and Upwork because the competition is high. There are several other people offering the same service as you.

After the first few sales, you wouldn't find it will be easier.

@JentuPrinz: You need to master the use of Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop and Adobe InDesign.

However, what you want to do will determine the suitable one for you.

Graphics design is wide.

Ok thanks..I met a tutor today and he said 15k..Is d price fair?
Re: How I Started As A Graphic Designer by Jh0wsef(m): 8:10am On Aug 22, 2020
JentuPrinz:

Ok thanks..I met a tutor today and he said 15k..Is d price fair?
Hmm. Well, nothing is too much for knowledge. But I can tutor you for a fairly lesser amount.
Re: How I Started As A Graphic Designer by Offpoint: 10:29am On Aug 22, 2020
Jh0wsef:

Hmm. Well, nothing is too much for knowledge.
But I can tutor you for a fairly lesser amount.
Dude seriously? What manner of greed is that?
He rightly said he has seen someone that will take him at a price tagged, you want to entice him with a lesser price so he should leave whoever he had contact with initially... That's pathetic and very low of you.

Whoever is taking him is a fellow designer like you, let the guy be. I detest such attitude.

2 Likes

Re: How I Started As A Graphic Designer by Nobody: 10:49am On Aug 22, 2020
Offpoint:

He rightly said he has seen someone that will take him at a price tagged, you want to entice him with a lesser price so he should leave whoever he had contact with initially... That's pathetic and very low of you.

Whoever is taking him is a fellow designer like you, let the guy be. I detest such attitude.
seconded
Re: How I Started As A Graphic Designer by Jh0wsef(m): 1:03pm On Aug 22, 2020
Offpoint:

LOL. Good Lord. I just hope you saw the part where I said "no amount is too small for knowledge". And he threw a question if 15k was okay "for a TUTOR HE JUST MET". I was airing my opinion. You think I'm thirsty to tutor people? Or the money? I have trained three batches of Nairalanders. so I don't know where the greed is

1 Like

Re: How I Started As A Graphic Designer by Offpoint: 1:42pm On Aug 22, 2020
Jh0wsef:

LOL. Good Lord. I just hope you saw the part where I said "no amount is too small for knowledge". And he threw a question if 15k was okay "for a TUTOR HE JUST MET". I was airing my opinion. You think I'm thirsty to tutor people? Or the money? I have trained three batches of Nairalanders. so I don't know where the greed is

What does "I can do it for lesser amount" implies?
What was your intention for such statement?

Quit the defensive mechanism bro, you know what your intention was.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Started As A Graphic Designer by Jh0wsef(m): 10:00pm On Aug 22, 2020
Offpoint:

What does "I can do it for lesser amount" implies? What was your intention for such statement?
Quit the defensive mechanism bro, you know what your intention was.
Very funny. I am NOT thirsty to tutor anyone. Maybe it was the way it came out, or your perspective of viewing.
Any which way, we are good.
Re: How I Started As A Graphic Designer by Offpoint: 10:15pm On Aug 22, 2020
Jh0wsef:

Very funny. I am NOT thirsty to tutor anyone. Maybe it was the way it came out, or your perspective of viewing.
Any which way, we are good.
Peace brotherly

Re: How I Started As A Graphic Designer by JentuPrinz(m): 5:14pm On Aug 23, 2020
Jh0wsef:

Hmm. Well, nothing is too much for knowledge. But I can tutor you for a fairly lesser amount.
Thanks..But it's late.
Re: How I Started As A Graphic Designer by KhingLufem1(m): 6:11pm On Aug 23, 2020
Same here my guy

Graphics is a high paying job just put ur passion into it.

You can also work on contest site like designhill, 99design, designcrowd and 48hourlogo.

2 Likes

Re: How I Started As A Graphic Designer by Emmzy201(m): 4:42pm On Aug 26, 2020
Offpoint:

It seems I'm at the right place
I've always had passion for graphic designing and photography
I've finally had my opportunity now.
Someone wants to register me to learn graphic design but I've been watching you for a while on this section.
Can you tutor me sir? cry
Re: How I Started As A Graphic Designer by Offpoint: 4:51pm On Aug 26, 2020
Emmzy201:

It seems I'm at the right place
I've always had passion for graphic designing and photography
I've finally had my opportunity now.
Someone wants to register me to learn graphic design but I've been watching you for a while on this section.
Can you tutor me sir? cry
Oflline Yeah if your location permits...
Online No... Can only mentor and recommend.

I suck at online training cuz of my schedules.
Re: How I Started As A Graphic Designer by Emmzy201(m): 6:36pm On Aug 26, 2020
Offpoint:

Oflline Yeah if your location permits...
Online No... Can only mentor and recommend.

I suck at online training cuz of my schedules.
I live in Lagos
I want to learn from the boss himself
Re: How I Started As A Graphic Designer by Offpoint: 8:38pm On Aug 26, 2020
Emmzy201:
I live in Lagos I want to learn from the boss himself
WhatsApp me 09055402072
Re: How I Started As A Graphic Designer by TIMSE: 10:17pm On Aug 26, 2020
Don't despise the days of little beginning.
As a graphic designer for 7 years+, I can say that it takes commitment to grow in it.
Dream big but start small!
© TIMSE

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

INSANITY (an Exhibition Of Hyperrealist Art) / 4D Arts That Will Mess With Your Mind / Must See!!! Falz ARTSASSINATED By Me - KOT Artworks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.