Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,056 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:12 AM

How To Get Started As A Freelance Graphic Designer - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / How To Get Started As A Freelance Graphic Designer (921 Views)

How I Started As A Graphic Designer / I Need A Freelance Graphic Artist To Do Some Designs For My Ecommerce Website / I Need A Graphic Designer In Lagos For A Freelance Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Get Started As A Freelance Graphic Designer by hamlino15(m): 8:30pm On Jan 31, 2020
If you are wondering what it takes to get started out as a freelance graphic designer and you are thinking about venturing into the field for yourself, then this article should prove to help you tremendously!

Freelancing is a natural fit for graphic designers. Several kinds of research show that more than 20 percent of people in the design industry are self-employed. This is because most freelancers in the design industry started designing as a side hustle. Along the line, they build a sustainable business with their passion for the niche, determination, strong business planning, and a solid work ethic.

Now, many companies are having a greater online presence. This means that the demand for brand identities, online marketing collaterals, social media images, infographics and more would be at an all-time high.

Now here’s how you can get started as a freelance graphic designer;

So Why Freelance Graphic Design?

A graphic designer is to effectively communicate the intended message of a brand or a project at hand into visuals, for the audience to relate with. They are various types of graphic design, but designers work on typical projects very often such as visual brand identity (logo designs, business cards), marketing materials (brochures, flyers, print advertisements, postcards), social media pages & images, as well as web banners and many other graphic elements.

So why freelance graphic design? Do you have the right temperament to handle clients? Can you thrive in an office environment, or do you prefer creating your own workspace? Are you motivated enough to commence projects or do you need someone constantly yelling motivation to you before getting work done? Do you have the required resources to successfully run your own freelance career?

These are personal questions you need to answer when deciding whether a freelance graphic design career is the right path for you. But as you make your decision, keep in mind that about a freelance career;

You will have more freedom to do things your way and more flexibility, but you will also have more responsibilities.
You will get to choose your own clients, but that also means you will learn how to manage who you work for.
You will have more time for the things you want to do, or it could consume most of your effective time more than a full-time job.

Learn the Required Skills

Just like every other freelance job that requires a particular skill, graphic design is no exception. You can either go to school and get a formal education design, or you can do your own self-study by utilizing the internet – self-taught designer.

That means you choose to acquire the skills that really depend on your lifestyle and how much time and resources you have.

Going to the university to acquire the skill is a fantastic starting place if you have the time and finances. There are so many great colleges that offer certificates or associate degrees, or you can opt for an online college.

If you don’t have adequate finances or you don’t have enough time to devote to the traditional school learning system, you should consider the option of learning it on your own.

With the wealth of information available at your fingertips, it is now easier than ever to learn everything you need to know about graphic design on platforms like YouTube or Google. You can start an online course on different platforms. A good way to start with is understanding what freelancing is and platforms you can earn money from. I created a course for that purpose, FREELANCING BLUEPRINT(https://creativedohl.sch.ng/courses/freelancing-blueprint-the-complete-guide-to-start-grow-a-profitable-side-business/). There is also a wealth of courses on designs you can choose on platforms like Udemy, Skillshare, Lynda, and many others.

There are various skills you can learn depending on having a general overview of the design fundamentals. You can start out by defining the one area of focus that you want to concentrate on in the design field. It could be the area of brand identity design (logo design, business card design), or marketing materials (brochure design, leaflets design), or simple website design (WordPress design), etc. Learn everything you can about your area of concentrated study.

Start Building a Portfolio

A portfolio is every freelance graphic designer’s greatest opportunity in getting more clients. It is one of the most crucial assets of a designer. A good portfolio represents a designer’s experience, passion, and skills, it’s a showpiece to sell your work to potential clients. Even unpaid projects that you have a personal connection to can be part of your portfolio.

Be selective when choosing your works to be used as your portfolio. Only include projects and examples that are the best works you did or you to do.

Using a good profile for your social media presence is another must. It’s the perfect way to supplement and promote your online portfolio and reach out to a wider audience. There are several platforms that offer the equivalent of a portfolio with added social features, like Behance or Dribbble. Having an account and your projects with these websites, it’s a good tool to use in getting feedback on your work, networking with other designers, and connecting with clients.

Start Working From Anywhere As A Graphic Designer

There are many freelancing sites you can use in starting out your graphic design career. Many years back, I started with Fiverr and Freelancer. But I will recommend having your own website set up so that you will have an outside web presence to show your potential clients during any design interview stage. A well-designed website brings you one step closer to gaining the trust of your potential client. It can also include your “Contact Me” “About Me” “Testimonials” pages.

Graphic design is a field that is ever-growing and there is no limit to how far you can go in your business! Therefore, if you are interested in becoming a freelance graphic designer, I urge you to take the first step and start exploring your own area of concentrated study.

To help you get started as a successful freelancer, check out this mini-course, FREELANCING BLUEPRINT(https://creativedohl.sch.ng/courses/freelancing-blueprint-the-complete-guide-to-start-grow-a-profitable-side-business/). I am absolutely sure you’ll find these resources helpful as you begin your freelancing career!

1 Like

Re: How To Get Started As A Freelance Graphic Designer by TIMSE: 12:12am On Aug 22, 2021
Thanks for sharing this post.
What platform would you advise one starts with to freelance?

(1) (Reply)

I Will Convert And Format Your Book For Kindle, Epub, Mobi, Pdf / My 3D Realistic Celebrity Sculpts Column / Graphic Design,motion Graphics, Video Editing & Web Design Training

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.