Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,117 members, 7,821,832 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:48 PM

Overprotectiveness: A Solution Or An Aggravation - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Overprotectiveness: A Solution Or An Aggravation (183 Views)

Persistent Baby Rash Pics. I Need A Solution To This Pls. / I’m Livid With My Dad, He Hit My Mom Again. I Need A Solution. / Premature Ejaculation/erectile Dysfunction- Plshelp With A Solution (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Overprotectiveness: A Solution Or An Aggravation by ValourDigest(m): 8:17am On Aug 19, 2020
Among many fathers in the world, one thing that is particularly common is overprotection. Now, the reason behind overprotectiveness is pretty noble. The world is a pretty dangerous place, and sometimes, the stories you hear horrify you.

From the kidnappings to the rapes and even the gruesome murders of people, it is normal if you want to lock your kid in to protect them from the dangers of the world. However, is that truly the solution?

Truthfully, it accomplishes the task. When you keep your child under your wing for as long as possible, they’ll stay protected. A child who is not allowed to handle knives under any circumstance will not be able to harm himself with knives. Alongside that, a child who is not allowed to go out cannot get killed at another person’s home. Technically speaking, being overprotective does work. It keeps your child alive and gives you rest of mind, but there are also consequences to it.

Disadvantages of Overprotectiveness

Among other things, when you are overprotective of your sons and daughters, the following could be the consequences:

1. Naivety

If you never allow your child to do anything that might be remotely dangerous, you risk making that child unable to function in the real world. A child who always stays at home, as we established earlier, is safe. Unfortunately, that only satisfies your need for peace of mind. When it comes to being able to handle normal, everyday tasks, the child would be lacking.

If they never go out, they might never learn how to haggle and they are likely to lose a lot of money to overpriced products. If they never get any street wisdom, they are likely to get scammed with the promise of more benefits. Protecting your child too much deprives them of valuable knowledge.

READ MORE: https://valourdigest.com/overprotectiveness-a-solution-or-an-aggravation/
Re: Overprotectiveness: A Solution Or An Aggravation by donbachi(m): 9:04am On Aug 19, 2020
"Fly wey no wan hear word,na e dey follow deadbody enter grave"
Re: Overprotectiveness: A Solution Or An Aggravation by Hathor5(f): 9:25am On Aug 19, 2020
Protectiveness and overprotectiveness are worlds apart. The former is good, the latter not so much. I will be back later to explain why. Work is calling.

Edited

It's natural for parents to want to protect their children but overprotecting them has many negative effects. A child strives for autonomy. That's why a child will try to walk on its own as soon as possible instead of wanting to be carried around all the time. We must allow children to gain greater autonomy as they grow so that they learn to be self-reliant and to trust in their own abilities. Otherwise we will kill their confidence. To borrow your knife analogy. At some point you need to give the child the knife because it must learn to master the use of the tool to be able to make food when you are not around and you won't be forever. We have all cut ourselves one or a few times but we have not given up on knives altogether because their usefulness is greater than the risk associated with them. Life in itself is risky but we should allow our kids to live theirs and more independently as time goes by.

1 Like

Re: Overprotectiveness: A Solution Or An Aggravation by bukatyne(f): 9:46am On Aug 19, 2020
Overprotectiveness.

The over already says it is bad.

Too much of everything becomes counterproductive.

(1) (Reply)

Enjoy This Promo Sales While It Last / Marriage And Relationship Key: Engage In Good Fights Not Bad Ones / Dr Paul Enenche Describe Daddy Freezy As A Mad Dog Watch Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.