Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,115 members, 7,811,135 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:01 AM

Russia: Alexei Navalny Poisoned - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Russia: Alexei Navalny Poisoned (29972 Views)

Alexei Navalny’s Mother Given Hours To Agree To Secret Burial / More Than 400 Detained In Russia As Country Mourns The Death Of Alexei Navalny / Alexei Navalny Is Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Russia: Alexei Navalny Poisoned by dermmy(m): 7:07am On Aug 20, 2020
Putin-critic was flying from Siberia to Moscow when his plane made an emergency landing after he fell ill.

Russian opposition politician Alexei Navalny is in a coma and on a ventilator in a hospital in Siberia after falling ill from suspected poisoning during a flight, his spokeswoman said Thursday.

Kira Yarmysh said on Thursday that Navalny, 44, was flying from Siberia to Moscow after a work trip to Tomsk when his plane made an emergency landing after he fell ill.

He is now in grave condition in the intensive care unit for toxicology patients in Emergency Hospital No 1 in the Siberian city of Omsk, according to the TASS state news agency.

"Alexei has toxic poisoning," she wrote on Twitter. "Alexei is now in intensive care."

"We think that Alexei was poisoned with something mixed in his tea. That was the only thing he drank in the morning," Yarmysh said. "Doctors say the poison was quickly absorbed through the hot liquid."

She told the Echo Moskvy radio station that Navalny was sweating on the plane and asked her to talk to him so that he could "focus on a sound of a voice". He then went to the bathroom and lost consciousness.

Navalny is in the intensive care unit for toxicology patients in Emergency Hospital No 1 in the Siberia city of Omsk, the TASS state news agency reported.

Navalny, 44, is in grave condition, TASS said, citing the head doctor of the hospital.

"Alexei is still unconscious. He was put under ventilator. Police were called to the hospital on our demand," said Yarmysh.

Yarmysh said she believed the suspected poisoning was connected to this year's regional election campaign.

Past attacks

Navalny known for his anti-corruption campaigns against top officials and outspoken criticism of President Vladimir Putin, has suffered physical attacks in the past.

Last year, Navalny was rushed to a hospital from prison where he was serving a sentence following an administrative arrest, with what his team said was suspected poisoning. Doctors then said he had a severe allergic attack and discharged him back to prison the following day.

He also endured chemical burns to his eye in 2017 when attackers threw green dye used as a disinfectant at his face outside his office.

The charismatic lawyer and whistle-blower, has been travelling the country to promote a tactical voting strategy to oppose pro-Putin candidates in more than 30 regional elections in September.

He has been the target of multiple criminal probes while his Anti-Corruption Foundation is regularly raided by police and investigators.

He has served numerous terms in police cells for organising illegal protests.

Last month, the politician had to shut the foundation after a financially devastating lawsuit from Yevgeny Prigozhin, a businessman with close ties to the Kremlin.

The most prominent member of Russia's opposition, Navalny campaigned to challenge Putin in the 2018 presidential election, but was barred from running.

Vyacheslav Gimadi, a lawyer with Navalny's foundation, said the team is requesting Russia's Investigative Committee open a criminal probe.

"There is no doubt that Navalny was poisoned because of his political stance and activity," Gimadi said in a tweet on Thursday.

Former US ambassador to Moscow Michael McFaul tweeted: "Praying @navalny will be ok."

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/08/russian-opposition-leader-navalny-poisoned-spokeswoman-200820054714728.html

6 Likes

Re: Russia: Alexei Navalny Poisoned by bernard1000001(m): 7:13am On Aug 20, 2020
hmmm.... putin comes to mind...u cant be one of the most powerful person critic and think ur life wont be in danger

e go fear you if u know how he was poisoned...it must be a professional job

make e thank God say no be naija him dey if u criticized the government na direct to jail.... I tire for this country

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Russia: Alexei Navalny Poisoned by espn(m): 7:15am On Aug 20, 2020
It is not easy to be in the opposition camp. Especially if you are an activist and you preach anti corruption.

93 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Russia: Alexei Navalny Poisoned by janedonez(m): 7:20am On Aug 20, 2020
Mother Russia. Ruthless
He who dines with the devil, does so with a long spoon.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Russia: Alexei Navalny Poisoned by Originality007: 7:27am On Aug 20, 2020
I don't like Russia...

43 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Russia: Alexei Navalny Poisoned by swiz123(m): 7:30am On Aug 20, 2020
I can bet my balls that a woman poisoned him

79 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Russia: Alexei Navalny Poisoned by GODSENT253(m): 7:43am On Aug 20, 2020
swiz123:
i can bet anything. FEAR WOMEN CHECK MY SIGNATURE

72 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Russia: Alexei Navalny Poisoned by dermmy(m): 9:03am On Aug 20, 2020
Drinking tea at a restaurant is carelessness.

3 Likes

Re: Russia: Alexei Navalny Poisoned by maximunimpact(m): 9:13am On Aug 20, 2020
Classic Russian politics, not surprised

36 Likes

Re: Russia: Alexei Navalny Poisoned by ForeThinker: 9:40am On Aug 20, 2020
I promise you nothing is as chaotic as it seems. Nothing is worth your health. Nothing is worth poisoning yourself into stress, anxiety and fear.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Russia: Alexei Navalny Poisoned by Sundaypaul12345: 9:40am On Aug 20, 2020
Ha!!!
Re: Russia: Alexei Navalny Poisoned by Devgod1: 9:40am On Aug 20, 2020
Vladimir Putin!!! cheesy
Putin is not the world's most powerful man for nothing. cheesy.
He has people everywhere.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Russia: Alexei Navalny Poisoned by Mowsid(m): 9:41am On Aug 20, 2020
Politics playing out. It's a do or die affair
Re: Russia: Alexei Navalny Poisoned by brosom(m): 9:41am On Aug 20, 2020
Russia my dream country hahahaha

1 Like

Re: Russia: Alexei Navalny Poisoned by gambia(m): 9:41am On Aug 20, 2020
Russians are ruthless. Bratva on point, if you know you know.

9 Likes

Re: Russia: Alexei Navalny Poisoned by Gabe427: 9:41am On Aug 20, 2020
Sounds like some Russian KGB spy series

and Russians with their fancy names Dimitri Alexis gregory
Krukov
Numagedov
Askdov

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Russia: Alexei Navalny Poisoned by Samsimple(m): 9:41am On Aug 20, 2020
Na wa ohhh...This year just get as e b

Check my signature
Re: Russia: Alexei Navalny Poisoned by brosom(m): 9:41am On Aug 20, 2020
Village people everyone
Re: Russia: Alexei Navalny Poisoned by alizma: 9:42am On Aug 20, 2020
Though i am not in support of high level of respiration to get power but those who think Nigerian politician are most corruption and heartless in the world should come and defend this.
Politics is a dirty game anywhere, the difference is that while some are played in a more refined manners, others are still being played in a crude manner.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Russia: Alexei Navalny Poisoned by FuckThaMod: 9:43am On Aug 20, 2020
Don't mess with Putin

2 Likes

Re: Russia: Alexei Navalny Poisoned by Nobody: 9:43am On Aug 20, 2020
undecided na wetin them suppose do buhari be that

but what do I know bunch of cowards angry

7 Likes

Re: Russia: Alexei Navalny Poisoned by Finnese001: 9:43am On Aug 20, 2020
Okay
Re: Russia: Alexei Navalny Poisoned by primestreams: 9:43am On Aug 20, 2020
cheesy
Re: Russia: Alexei Navalny Poisoned by Chukkson: 9:43am On Aug 20, 2020
swiz123:

You're just an unsecured man.

1 Like

Re: Russia: Alexei Navalny Poisoned by seunny4lif(m): 9:44am On Aug 20, 2020
Funny how people called this guy Putin opposition when nobody even know him in Russia.
That’s guy can’t even secure his home town but BBC and CNN will called him Putin Opposition man grin
He is worst than Sowore grin

14 Likes

Re: Russia: Alexei Navalny Poisoned by abasfx: 9:44am On Aug 20, 2020
GODSENT253:
i can bet anything. FEAR WOMEN
I can bet you the fear of woman it the beginning of wisdom

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Russia: Alexei Navalny Poisoned by sotall(m): 9:44am On Aug 20, 2020
undecided
Re: Russia: Alexei Navalny Poisoned by olayincar(m): 9:44am On Aug 20, 2020
Putin...

1 Like

Re: Russia: Alexei Navalny Poisoned by Baloranking(m): 9:44am On Aug 20, 2020
Politics is a very dirty game especially for an activist.

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

John Mahama Reacts To Xenophobic Attacks In South Africa / Putin: Russia Will Respond if NATO Deploys Weapons In Finland And Sweden / Netanyahu: We Are Pounding Hamas With Brute Force, But This Is Just D Beginning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.