Stats: 3,152,155 members, 7,815,024 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:21 AM

Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review - Music/Radio (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review (26203 Views)

Burna Boy Wins Grammy With 'Twice As Tall' Album / Grammy: Burna Boy Reacts As “Twice As Tall” Album Gets Nomination / Burna Boy’s "Twice As Tall" Album Launched In London (Video) (2) (3) (4)

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by Rahmanjargo(m): 12:54pm On Aug 20, 2020
deepwater:
truth be told, the songs no sweet
I'm only jamming to No fit vex for you.

That song is on another level

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by Asianjollof007: 12:56pm On Aug 20, 2020
This album doesn't worth the hype, wizkid's, superstar album, fireboy's previous album and kizzdaniel's new era album is far better than this. Some people are not really vibing to the song, they're just hyping on social media cos of peer pressure.. Make i stop here before the senseless people starts quoting!

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by Rahmanjargo(m): 12:56pm On Aug 20, 2020
Dangrace01:
Like to party is still burna boy greatest jam.

I still prefer burna boy of aristocrat records all burna jam with leriq is a classic

======> Profile
You're a real fan bro.
I'm only jamming to No fit vex for you which was produced by leriq.

Leriq always deliver!

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by mattbass(m): 12:59pm On Aug 20, 2020
Most Naija listeners will never love this album just because is not their normal vibe music that's filled with high energy dance tune.
But those who love to listen to lyrics or messages in a music rather than the tune(beat) will testify that this album is epic. It can't be compare to the regular street album in Nigeria.
Music is more than the tune but more of the messages it carries. Messages that will bring about sober reflection, your hustle in life and the future itself. We naija like music that glorifies ladies, drugs, etc but if you are a lover of music get yourself this album and listen to all the messages and you will comprehend life the more.

NB: To win Grammy, your music must be in line with the international audience and not your locality.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by Ogamysamo: 1:06pm On Aug 20, 2020
9ja blood is running in your vein

nigeria become the african gaint by double triple and multiple population

and our boy want to make it as the gaint again with not just tall song but twice as tall.

hmmm, i will have wish you goodluck but we are already in buhari regime.

original 9ja boy

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by Virginkpekus(f): 1:09pm On Aug 20, 2020
inoki247:
Leave all this Media Hype. Shey d Album Dope like M2M Wande Coal or Superstar Wizkid
It wasn't made for you oga, I am sure you don't buy albums you just download them free online. Those people abroad who don't download for free are the target market. So you can keep your mushin to mohits to yourself.

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by Virginkpekus(f): 1:11pm On Aug 20, 2020
Asianjollof007:
This album doesn't worth the hype, wizkid's, superstar album, fireboy's previous album and kizzdaniel's new era album is far better than this. Some people are not really vibing to the song, they're just hyping on social media cos of peer pressure.. Make i stop here before the senseless people starts quoting!
Funny how can you even compare WizKid superstar album to this? Do you think this album is for kids in mushin or what?

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by Ogamysamo: 1:12pm On Aug 20, 2020
author=Ogamysamo nigeria become the african gaint by double triple and multiple population
and our boy want to make it again with twice as tall
his name should just be naija boy not burna boy
Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by Emmypure: 1:12pm On Aug 20, 2020
boring album
Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by cray91(m): 1:15pm On Aug 20, 2020
Don't mind them na overhype some people dey do
GeneralPula:
The album no too galant..

All the previous burna albums are way better..
Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by EarthKing(m): 1:16pm On Aug 20, 2020
From the negative comments up there about this album (Twice As Tall), you'd wonder less why our artists keep churning out kpangolo music with wide acceptance.

This album can be liking to classical music. It is for the matured minds. Sometimes one wonder why Kendrick Lamar keep winning the Grammy, but when you look at his lyrics, they are so deep from the average mind.

Exactly what Burna has done on this album. from the cover picture to the songs, intro and outro has a story to tell. #TwiceAsTall.

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by Virginkpekus(f): 1:17pm On Aug 20, 2020
Sirjay001:
Burna boy dropped an album for Africans not specifically for Nigerians.

Y'all that are criticizing the album are used to Nigerian music. You have to widen your scope of music. Burna is out to touch the world.
God bless you, you nailed it. Don't mind all these local people, they want naira Marley kind of songs

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by lakesguy(m): 1:24pm On Aug 20, 2020
The album.... Just there... Nothing special biko!

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by Virginkpekus(f): 1:30pm On Aug 20, 2020
Dangrace01:
Like to party is still burna boy greatest jam.

I still prefer burna boy of aristocrat records all burna jam with leriq is a classic

======> Profile
Why wasn't he nominated for a Grammy award when he was still with aristocrat? Which artists sticks to just one producer these days?
Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by Virginkpekus(f): 1:31pm On Aug 20, 2020
lakesguy:
The album.... Just there... Nothing special biko!
Till Una hear mafo, ijo soapy.... Nigerians will never be happy cry cry
The album is a classic and made for a world audience.

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by Sanchez01: 1:32pm On Aug 20, 2020
I started opening up to certain songs until recently.

Burna Boy got the art work and possibly the name right - as a sequel to the "African Giant" album but the truth is, the album failed to trump the previous. African Giant carries more weight than TAT.

I love the fact that he is slowly becoming a political voice and Ama Ata Aido's sampling in "Monsters You Made" is simply divine. I listened to the song time and time again with a level of ANGST. As an African, you won't listen to that song and feel the same except if the meaning flies above one's head.

You see "Bank on It", that song for me is the "Twice as Tall" album! I have played that song an unhealthy amount of times. I catch the ghetto/cultism/gangster references in the song but I can't deny the fact that the song is a beauty. "Bank on It" is my best song in the album.

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by omenka(m): 1:35pm On Aug 20, 2020
GeneralPula:

Some of us no wan talk make e no be like say we dey hate.

After all the hype, I decided to listen to the album, and truth be told, I was really disappointed.

Burna is way way better than what that album says.

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by jones9ice: 1:35pm On Aug 20, 2020
GeneralPula:

I guess you need a better Dre beat or better car that have a good sound system, as first you will think the album doesn't make sense but if you have a better sound system, you will know the album is spiritual, anyway I can borrow you a good sound system if you need one.

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by mayim(m): 1:37pm On Aug 20, 2020
EarthKing:
From the negative comments up there about this album (Twice As Tall), you'd wonder less why our artists keep churning out kpangolo music with wide acceptance.

This album can be liking to classical music. It is for the matured minds. Sometimes one wonder why Kendrick Lamar keep winning the Grammy, but when you look at his lyrics, they are so deep from the average mind.

Exactly what Burna has done on this album. from the cover picture to the songs, intro and outro has a story to tell. #TwiceAsTall.
You my friend are very wise. Best comment so far. This nigeria audience is responsible for pushin our talented acts to do basic music. Good thing about Burna is that he cares less about their opinions. Man is a go getter. I am very impressed that an album this great was made by a Nigerian. For peeps saying it’s overhyped, just up your taste in music then you will come back to appreciate. Y’all just want to dance and twerk, nah this album isn’t for y’all

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by mayim(m): 1:42pm On Aug 20, 2020
Sanchez01:
I started opening up to certain songs until recently.

Burna Boy got the art work and possibly the name right - as a sequel to the "African Giant" album but the truth is, the album failed to trump the previous. African Giant carries more weight than TAT.

I love the fact that he is slowly becoming a political voice and Ama Ata Aido's sampling in "Monsters You Made" is simply divine. I listened to the song time and time again with a level of ANGST. As an African, you won't listen to that song and feel the same except if the meaning flies above one's head.

You see "Bank on It", that song for me is the "Twice as Tall" album! I have played that song an unhealthy amount of times. I catch the ghetto/cultism/gangster references in the song but I can't deny the fact that the song is a beauty. "Bank on It" is my best song in the album.
You sound very well informed about music and apparently you’ve got taste, I’m however wondering why despite all of that, you don’t agree that Twice as Tall is Burna’s best body of work yet. I’ll put it to you that it is. The issue an average Nigerian will have with it is how it has no typical ‘naija hit’.... but that was a quality body of work. I pinch myself to be sure I’m not dreaming anytime I listen to the album. Like yo! A Nigerian made this?
If you’re up for it, I’d analyze African giant album track by track vis-à-vis Twice as Tall album. I’m an unrepentant fan of Burna unlike you that started cozying up to his music recently. Cheers

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by GeneralPula: 1:43pm On Aug 20, 2020
jones9ice:

I guess you need a better Dre beat or better car that have a good sound system, as first you will think the album doesn't make sense but if you have a better sound system, you will know the album is spiritual, anyway I can borrow you a good sound system if you need one.

Lol. Mr sound system.

I have my Follow come Beat by dre..(For iPhone 11)

I have my AirPod Pro..

This is not a matter of sound system.

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by EarthKing(m): 1:58pm On Aug 20, 2020
mayim:

You my friend are very wise. Best comment so far. This nigeria audience is responsible for pushin our talented acts to do basic music. Good thing about Burna is that he cares less about their opinions. Man is a go getter. I am very impressed that an album this great was made by a Nigerian. For peeps saying it’s overhyped, just up your taste in music then you will come back to appreciate. Y’all just want to dance and twerk, nah this album isn’t for y’all
. Thanks man! From the way Puff was so ecstatic to put his vocal on this album. You can tell , there is something magnanimous about this album. Burna to the world abeg!

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by Ibkay32(m): 2:02pm On Aug 20, 2020
mantosa:
A Giant’s Story: The ‘twice As Tall’ Album Review

A close look at the Twice As Tall album feature list, will give you a slight indication of what is to come.

But it doesn’t prepare you for the full impact.

Burna Boy proves with this amazing body of work that his self-professed title of African giant holds considerable promise, especially against a backdrop of a new crop of global audience.

It’s refreshing to see a musical work that is a proper album and not just a collection of songs pieced haphazardly together. The highly anticipated LP, ‘Twice As Tall’ is positioned for a global audience and that is much evident from the remarkable artiste features that elevates the music from the company of the usual Nigerians suspects to a more global collective, with guest appearances from Chris Martin, Stormzy and the legendary Naughty by Nature.

The work opens with the classic ‘Level Up (Twice as Tall)’ featuring the African legend, Youssou N’Dour who instantly pulls you in with a soul-stirring rendition that helps unpack Burna Boy’s narrative of pain.

The LP can be summarized as a compilation of Burna Boy’s Grammy aftermath story. Track after track, Burna Boy is not afraid to mouth his many failings and disappointments and the reaction of people to the hand dealt him in his career.

From ‘Level Up,’ ‘Alarm Clock’ to ‘Way Too Big,’ Burna’s mission to assert his musical dominance clearly comes through and he’s not subtle about his political propensity in ‘Monsters You Made’ and ‘Wetin Dey Sup.

It’s not clear why ‘Wonderful’ is the lead single on this LP, with the array of songs available for the pickings, but with P.Diddy, executive producing the album he might have had something to do with the choice. Diddy’s voice clearly comes through in a few tracks, whether to imprint himself in the work or to add creative colour to the tracks, we are not mad at the result.

The familiar sounding, ‘Comma’ takes a shot at the irregularities of a 21st century woman looks and all. If Burna Boy is looking to acquire more female following, this is definitely not the way to do it.

23’ spotlights Burna Boy’s struggle with dealing with the negativity and two-faced reception he has gotten from music industry stakeholders. The starting line, ‘Music Make Me Feel I Be Jordan’ aptly summarizes the strange title, ‘23’ which celebrates the jersey number of basket ball’s finest, Michael Jordan.

Monsters You Made,’ with the smooth rock exterior by Chris Martin is an authentic protester’s anthem. Burna Boy raves at everything from the white man’s doctored education system to the rape of the Niger Delta region.

Burna Boy and Stormzy trade street stories in the track ‘Real Life’; stories about survival, good times and peace of mind and it’s a smooth, mid-tempo vibe that will definitely take you on a cruise. The LP ends nicely with ‘Bank On It,’ Burna’s attempt to consolidate his integrity and the choir-type chorus rendition at the end adds a colourful touch to the track.

If there’s anything missing in Burna Boy’s ‘Twice As Tall’ album, it’s a visible Nigerian creative input, because no Nigerian music artiste was featured anywhere in the body of work. Then again that’s probably because the work required only one.

source: https://tushmagazine.com.ng/a-giants-story-the-twice-as-tall-album-review/

wack songs

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by Elxandre(m): 2:04pm On Aug 20, 2020
mattbass:
Most Naija listeners will never love this album just because is not their normal vibe music that's filled with high energy dance tune.
But those who love to listen to lyrics or messages in a music rather than the tune(beat) will testify that this album is epic. It can't be compare to the regular street album in Nigeria.
Music is more than the tune but more of the messages it carries. Messages that will bring about sober reflection, your hustle in life and the future itself. We naija like music that glorifies ladies, drugs, etc but if you are a lover of music get yourself this album and listen to all the messages and you will comprehend life the more.

NB: To win Grammy, your music must be in line with the international audience and not your locality.
I don't understand Nigerians.
How can you not like this album? It's a far departure from the shallow bumbum song most of the artistes churn out.

I can now confidently say Nigerians have a poor taste in music.

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by Elxandre(m): 2:08pm On Aug 20, 2020
EarthKing:
. Thanks man! From the way Puff was so ecstatic to put his vocal on this album. You can tell , there is something magnanimous about this album. Burna to the world abeg!
Which of the tracks has his voice?
I don't think I caught that.
Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by jones9ice: 2:10pm On Aug 20, 2020
GeneralPula:

Lol. Mr sound system.

I have my Follow come Beat by dre..(For iPhone 11)

I have my AirPod Pro..

This is not a matter of sound system.

Or maybe you should get appointment with the doc to help you clean your ear then, or you should buy Bose or Samsung akg buds to give you a better sound, you go have those kind of thing and still dey complain album no sweet kilode
Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by themes009(m): 2:11pm On Aug 20, 2020
clean Toyota tundra for sale, port Harcourt ! 0 8 0 6 2 9 4 9 9 2 9
Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by jaxxy(m): 2:20pm On Aug 20, 2020
deepwater:
truth be told, the songs no sweet

I heard like 3 songs and not impressed. I hope the album wasn’t rushed.

It’s one thing to have talent to sing and another to have the right songs or be versatile.

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by Asianjollof007: 2:23pm On Aug 20, 2020
Virginkpekus:

God bless you, you nailed it. Don't mind all these local people, they want naira Marley kind of songs

Mr. International, we know your type.

You even said wizkid's superstar album na street song..

LOL, we know your type �

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by Mrshocker(m): 2:25pm On Aug 20, 2020

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by MATURELION: 2:29pm On Aug 20, 2020
GeneralPula:

oil dey your head, I think african giant was his best album so far along with the ones he sang previously before that, e get as this twice as tall be
Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by Dangrace01: 2:34pm On Aug 20, 2020
Virginkpekus:

Why wasn't he nominated for a Grammy award when he was still with aristocrat? Which artists sticks to just one producer these days?

Must dey nominate an artist for grammy before you can say that artist is great. U funny oh.

If you have ears for good music you'll know burna boy was beast working with leriq his problem started when he left aristocrat records and started working with spellz ( he made some good songs with spellz) burnaboy of before is better than burnaboy of now.

When I knew burnaboy was back was with heavens gate. That jam na 10 over 10. But the few songs I've heard on twice as tall isn't d burnaboy I know

A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? / Name Your Best Reggae Artiste Of All Time. For Reggae Lovers. / Unity FM: Radio Station On Fire In Ebonyi (Photos)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59