Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,211 members, 7,815,228 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:21 AM

Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review - Music/Radio (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review (26204 Views)

Burna Boy Wins Grammy With 'Twice As Tall' Album / Grammy: Burna Boy Reacts As “Twice As Tall” Album Gets Nomination / Burna Boy’s "Twice As Tall" Album Launched In London (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by MrBrownJay1(m): 2:37pm On Aug 20, 2020
although the album hasnt caught on me yet, i like the diversity of featuring he had on it.
Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by hoyinmide(m): 2:39pm On Aug 20, 2020
Kia sportage 2012 up for sale
Location egbeda lagos state

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by Sanchez01: 2:47pm On Aug 20, 2020
mayim:

You sound very well informed about music and apparently you’ve got taste, I’m however wondering why despite all of that, you don’t agree that Twice as Tall is Burna’s best body of work yet. I’ll put it to you that it is. The issue an average Nigerian will have with it is how it has no typical ‘naija hit’.... but that was a quality body of work. I pinch myself to be sure I’m not dreaming anytime I listen to the album. Like yo! A Nigerian made this?
If you’re up for it, I’d analyze African giant album track by track vis-à-vis Twice as Tall album. I’m an unrepentant fan of Burna unlike you that started cozying up to his music recently. Cheers
Well, thanks. My ears are fairly tuned and my music sense is a bit refined (apologies for the hype cheesy). Perhaps one reason why Africa Giant did better than this current album is the heavy sampling of the afro-beat. And although he did the same in this very same album, I feel the features are too much, some songs shouldn't have made the album.

He's good, I give him that but the album pales on comparison to the African Giant album.

2 Likes

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by Creeza(m): 2:50pm On Aug 20, 2020
Asianjollof007:
This album doesn't worth the hype, wizkid's, superstar album, fireboy's previous album and kizzdaniel's new era album is far better than this. Some people are not really vibing to the song, they're just hyping on social media cos of peer pressure.. Make i stop here before the senseless people starts quoting!
I will still quote you because you are sensless... A stupid comment coming from a waec candidate who only joined nairaland Feb 2020.

Angelina Kidjo's album last year was trash when compared to Burna's AG. Yet she won the Grammy... If you think the world and Africa is based on your perspective as a stupid teenage Nigerian, then you are even more stupid to comment on any thread on Nairaland.

Simp...

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by KingAzari: 3:05pm On Aug 20, 2020
Favourchris:

The abulm is for the world not Nigeria.

U need to widen ur scope of taste .... U are used to shekpe and and soco soco 100x

Truth only... Only those that know good music would appreciate this album. But a typical Nigerian that is used to noise about nyash and shayo songs can't relate.

5 Likes

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by EarthKing(m): 3:15pm On Aug 20, 2020
Elxandre:
Which of the tracks has his voice? I don't think I caught that.
. The intro of alarm clock... Track 2.
Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by DrayZee: 3:19pm On Aug 20, 2020
I know Nigerians don't generally care about lyrical content, all they want is gbedu. But if you didn't enjoy a single song on this album, then there's a problem.
Forget about Zanku first, be at peace, lie down on your bed and listen to this album...allow it sink into your soul. It's an album to be listened to, not vibed to.

I liked just a few songs on the album at first, but listening to it more and more made me discover how much of a masterpiece it was. Now I enjoy almost all the songs.

5 Likes

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by Binhamid(m): 3:21pm On Aug 20, 2020
Peteru1st:
to be candid, we all know the album isn't as mad as the last one, but trust me, this album also is damn dope. And the international recognition its getting?? that's crazy! its one of the best any African artist can get right now. truth be spoken; i dont. know the strings he pulled or stuffs he did to get that album go far, but BURNA BURNED IT. And thats it

This might come with a Grammy, you know?? wink

This particular one is well composed, the other album is versatile I agree. But this one is like a novel and each song is like a chapter. If you don't listen to the whole album, you might not get it. Apart from level-up, I don't even have a favorite. All the songs are dope

3 Likes

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by Binhamid(m): 3:24pm On Aug 20, 2020
Creeza:
I will still quote you because you are sensless... A stupid comment coming from a waec candidate who only joined nairaland Feb 2020.

Angelina Kidjo's album last year was trash when compared to Burna's AG. Yet she won the Grammy... If you think the world and Africa is based on your perspective as a stupid teenage Nigerian, then you are even more stupid to comment on any thread on Nairaland.

Simp...

Bros calm down na, you can correct the jambite without insult na. Try to explain to him in a better way so that he can have sense a bit.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by Asianjollof007: 3:33pm On Aug 20, 2020
Creeza:

Simp...

You have been noticed, now crawl back to your cave!
Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by bernard1000001(m): 3:34pm On Aug 20, 2020
EyezofGod120:
grin damn niggaarr!!2nd FTC in 2020
Let's settle this matter ones and for all
Like for burna boi share for wizkid and davido

wetin una dey always settle wey no dey Finnish...na ppl like una dey cause problems online for us
Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by lilmax(m): 3:38pm On Aug 20, 2020
mattbass:
Most Naija listeners will never love this album just because is not their normal vibe music that's filled with high energy dance tune.
But those who love to listen to lyrics or messages in a music rather than the tune(beat) will testify that this album is epic. It can't be compare to the regular street album in Nigeria.
Music is more than the tune but more of the messages it carries. Messages that will bring about sober reflection, your hustle in life and the future itself. We naija like music that glorifies ladies, drugs, etc but if you are a lover of music get yourself this album and listen to all the messages and you will comprehend life the more.

NB: To win Grammy, your music must be in line with the international audience and not your locality.
the ones who criticized the album, not constructively(i.e it's overated, over hyped) listen to people like nairamarley....they can't be taken seriously

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by mayim(m): 3:43pm On Aug 20, 2020
Sanchez01:

Well, thanks. My ears are fairly tuned and my music sense is a bit refined (apologies for the hype cheesy). Perhaps one reason why Africa Giant did better than this current album is the heavy sampling of the afro-beat. And although he did the same in this very same album, I feel the features are too much, some songs shouldn't have made the album.

He's good, I give him that but the album pales on comparison to the African Giant album.

So yes, I’ll say Burna was intentional about this album hence the minimal inclusion of so many Afro beats, he wants the Grammy and this album gives him a better chance of getting it. As much as I respect ur opinion, I don’t agree with it. This album was made to appeal to a cross section of fans all over the world which is why you might not find it as appealing as African Giant. But in all fairness, there are a number of afro beats in Twice as Tall.... I no fit vex, comma, onyeka, 23 and Wetin Dey Sup are good examples even though he infused some Patois in those tracks which is the typical Burna.
Finally I’d say this was a standard album, not just a collection of single hits and some other songs haphazardly put together, TAT takes you on a journey from start to finish, it’s such an alluring story that leaves you thinking when it’s finished
I’m just glad we both agree he makes good music, it’s alright to disagree on which album we think is better. I hope you will be happy for him too when he brings home the Grammy. Pls note I didn’t say ‘if’, grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by seanwilliam(m): 3:45pm On Aug 20, 2020
mattbass:
Most Naija listeners will never love this album just because is not their normal vibe music that's filled with high energy dance tune.
But those who love to listen to lyrics or messages in a music rather than the tune(beat) will testify that this album is epic. It can't be compare to the regular street album in Nigeria.
Music is more than the tune but more of the messages it carries. Messages that will bring about sober reflection, your hustle in life and the future itself. We naija like music that glorifies ladies, drugs, etc but if you are a lover of music get yourself this album and listen to all the messages and you will comprehend life the more.

NB: To win Grammy, your music must be in line with the international audience and not your locality.
I thought u were going to say Grammy Is about good lyrics
Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by Abdogood(m): 3:51pm On Aug 20, 2020
Twice as Tall is only for the Elite and mature minds. If you dont like it go and listen to you ponpon street beat song.

"The Monster you made"... So Epic.... That song should be our National Anthem.

I got my eyes on JOHNNY DRILLE AND CHIKE.
Na the same mama born una ni. This guys are good.

1 Like

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by Virginkpekus(f): 3:53pm On Aug 20, 2020
Dangrace01:

Must dey nominate an artist for grammy before you can say that artist is great. U funny oh.

If you have ears for good music you'll know burna boy was beast working with leriq his problem started when he left aristocrat records and started working with spellz ( he made some good songs with spellz) burnaboy of before is better than burnaboy of now.

When I knew burnaboy was back was with heavens gate. That jam na 10 over 10. But the few songs I've heard on twice as tall isn't d burnaboy I know
The burna you don't know has become more successful than the burna you used to know. Forward ever backwards never

2 Likes

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by Nobody: 3:57pm On Aug 20, 2020
Samsimple:
are you really vibing to this album or it's just peer pressure. undecided

Hater
hatred
deep envy
jealousy
Typical crab mentality having Nigerian
Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by Nobody: 3:57pm On Aug 20, 2020
GeneralPula:
The album no too galant..

All the previous burna albums are way better..
Hater
hatred
deep envy
jealousy
Typical crab mentality having Nigerian
Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by Jbleenk: 4:15pm On Aug 20, 2020
mantosa:
A Giant’s Story: The ‘twice As Tall’ Album Review

A close look at the Twice As Tall album feature list, will give you a slight indication of what is to come.

But it doesn’t prepare you for the full impact.

Burna Boy proves with this amazing body of work that his self-professed title of African giant holds considerable promise, especially against a backdrop of a new crop of global audience.

It’s refreshing to see a musical work that is a proper album and not just a collection of songs pieced haphazardly together. The highly anticipated LP, ‘Twice As Tall’ is positioned for a global audience and that is much evident from the remarkable artiste features that elevates the music from the company of the usual Nigerians suspects to a more global collective, with guest appearances from Chris Martin, Stormzy and the legendary Naughty by Nature.

The work opens with the classic ‘Level Up (Twice as Tall)’ featuring the African legend, Youssou N’Dour who instantly pulls you in with a soul-stirring rendition that helps unpack Burna Boy’s narrative of pain.

The LP can be summarized as a compilation of Burna Boy’s Grammy aftermath story. Track after track, Burna Boy is not afraid to mouth his many failings and disappointments and the reaction of people to the hand dealt him in his career.

From ‘Level Up,’ ‘Alarm Clock’ to ‘Way Too Big,’ Burna’s mission to assert his musical dominance clearly comes through and he’s not subtle about his political propensity in ‘Monsters You Made’ and ‘Wetin Dey Sup.

It’s not clear why ‘Wonderful’ is the lead single on this LP, with the array of songs available for the pickings, but with P.Diddy, executive producing the album he might have had something to do with the choice. Diddy’s voice clearly comes through in a few tracks, whether to imprint himself in the work or to add creative colour to the tracks, we are not mad at the result.

The familiar sounding, ‘Comma’ takes a shot at the irregularities of a 21st century woman looks and all. If Burna Boy is looking to acquire more female following, this is definitely not the way to do it.

23’ spotlights Burna Boy’s struggle with dealing with the negativity and two-faced reception he has gotten from music industry stakeholders. The starting line, ‘Music Make Me Feel I Be Jordan’ aptly summarizes the strange title, ‘23’ which celebrates the jersey number of basket ball’s finest, Michael Jordan.

Monsters You Made,’ with the smooth rock exterior by Chris Martin is an authentic protester’s anthem. Burna Boy raves at everything from the white man’s doctored education system to the rape of the Niger Delta region.

Burna Boy and Stormzy trade street stories in the track ‘Real Life’; stories about survival, good times and peace of mind and it’s a smooth, mid-tempo vibe that will definitely take you on a cruise. The LP ends nicely with ‘Bank On It,’ Burna’s attempt to consolidate his integrity and the choir-type chorus rendition at the end adds a colourful touch to the track.

If there’s anything missing in Burna Boy’s ‘Twice As Tall’ album, it’s a visible Nigerian creative input, because no Nigerian music artiste was featured anywhere in the body of work. Then again that’s probably because the work required only one.

source: https://tushmagazine.com.ng/a-giants-story-the-twice-as-tall-album-review/

This is just an exaggerated hype. This is the worst of Burna Boy’s work.
Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by Harrykn: 4:24pm On Aug 20, 2020
After wonderful, nothing comot. kendrick lamar whatsap we are looking forward, postmalone, khalid
Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by KingUg(m): 4:27pm On Aug 20, 2020
The album is just an average Album, his previous albums OUTSIDE & AFRICAN GIANT are better my opinion though #TeamBurna cool
Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by Dangrace01: 4:29pm On Aug 20, 2020
Virginkpekus:

The burns you don't know has become more successful than the burna you used to know. Forward ever backwards never

Sure no doubt it's just my opinion.
Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by Kendaboss(m): 4:33pm On Aug 20, 2020
Burna did a fantastic job on this album
#Odogwu
Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by Uncleodi(m): 4:33pm On Aug 20, 2020
saaphiere:
HOW COME MY HUSBAND IS INTIMIDATED BY ME?
A powerful message from Pst. Olajumoke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Euc-0KCckfM

This is a powerful message. If submission were to be easy, it wouldn't have been a law in the Bible.
Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by Harrykn: 4:33pm On Aug 20, 2020
Creeza:

Simp...
There's just a lil difference btw you wiseman and the waec teen. Someone here posts his critics bout the album and you attacked him, Ahba. Hunkle wake up, you're not paid.

1 Like

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by mekleelex200(m): 4:41pm On Aug 20, 2020
What a humor of comments, I was going through the comments as a guest but I have to log in to address something and make my submission.
Firstly, I don't blame anybody that said the album no sweet because most Nigeria love mediocre (look at our government; no pun intended), it is their choice and I respect that but please "make una stay for una mediocre lane".

Secondly, coming to the album, I was afraid of the release of the album because I felt it will be an art that will drag his reputation down and my love for him, so I was sceptical about listening to it but thank goodness I listened.
Oh my world! the first day I listened to TIME FLIES was project to the beyond, the vibes and melody in that sound is out of the world. Then I listened to BANK ON IT, I experienced OBE instantly, the way the song comes in strata is out of the world, I was praying that it will not end.

LEVEL UP was another good sound, NO FIT VEX made me realize how selfish and sentimental I was for my friends. I love all the songs with all my love except 2 songs produced by Zlatan producer (may be except COMMA because of the massage).
Then come to MONSTER YOU MADE, it is a classic of Burna, just like ANOTHER STORY AND DIFFERENT in AG, so I was not surprised because he is way too smart for a typical Nigeria to digest.

Finally, this album cut it off for be plus it is a Sequel of AG, since Burna Boy discorved his mojo in Outside album he came through in AG but this album is a classic.
I was surprised no one talked about the artwork (very outstanding), ooh I remember it is very difficult for a Nigerian to understand.
Drop mic. Peace!

6 Likes

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by mrjojo: 5:08pm On Aug 20, 2020
Overated !!African Giant is way better. Album was made solely for the Grammys which I'm not sure it will win. #no hating

1 Like

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by earnit3: 5:17pm On Aug 20, 2020
Good for him
Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by sultan1014(m): 5:24pm On Aug 20, 2020
deepwater:
truth be told, the songs no sweet

There's nothing really special about the album... The only tracks I like are "Way too big" & "Naughty by nature"
Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by medolab90(m): 5:28pm On Aug 20, 2020
Nigerians prefer their typical love songs to songs with deep meaning and lyrical content.Look at someone comparing #TAT of Burna's to Fireboy Appollo.

1 Like

Re: Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review by usamali(m): 5:47pm On Aug 20, 2020
OLUWA BURNA.

IT'S TIME F0R BURNA TO BRING THE GRAMMY HOME.... GO BURNA! GO BURNA! ! GO BURNA !!!

Check my signature for ur car deals

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? / Name Your Best Reggae Artiste Of All Time. For Reggae Lovers. / Unity FM: Radio Station On Fire In Ebonyi (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.