Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,828 members, 7,810,181 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:41 PM

Fashola: Why I Turned Down 17 Honorary Degrees - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola: Why I Turned Down 17 Honorary Degrees (33434 Views)

Tinubu Warns Universities against Indiscriminate Award of Honorary Degrees / Fashola: Why Pantami Annoyed Some Persons In Buhari’s Cabinet / Fashola: Why Lagos-Badagry Expressway Is Yet To Be Fixed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola: Why I Turned Down 17 Honorary Degrees by Islie: 4:26pm On Aug 20, 2020
Ejiofor Alike

The Minister of Works and Housing, Mr. Babatunde Fashola, yesterday decried the abuse of honorary degrees by universities in the country, revealing that he turned down 17 offers during his eight-year tenure as Lagos State governor between 2007 and 2015.

According to a statement issued yesterday by his Special Adviser on Communications, Mr. Hakeem Bello, the minister made this known when the Committee of Vice-Chancellors/Association of Vice-Chancellors of Nigerian Universities paid him a courtesy visit.

The former governor, who said he stopped the award of honorary degrees in the Lagos State University (LASU), noted that honorary degrees must be conferred on awardees based on merit and not because they occupy political offices or command socio-economic powers.

“We said, look we are going to be different and for two or three years we did not award any Honorary Degree because truly the idea of Honorary Degree is an important building block of society and once we throw those blocks away or make them unviable then the purpose for it is lost.

“In my eight years in office I had 17 offers and I didn’t take one. I told them to wait until when I was out of office and if they still find me worthy they should then come back, and when I was out of office only one came back.

“The point I want to make is that we have to encourage our children to work hard. What have these honorees of the universities done to deserve the honour? What of those who have become undeserving, will you go back and tell them to return the degrees, that they don’t deserve it anymore?”

He also charged the dons on the need to come up with “an acceptable version” of the History of Nigeria.

“There is one thing you can do for Nigeria. Bring all these people together to start work on one acceptable version of Nigeria’s history. It is that version that can be thought in primary and secondary schools, because that is what is happening in other countries. They fought wars too but they have written one final version of their history. When you have written that final version it will be thought in our primary and secondary schools,” the minister added.

THISDAY

68 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Fashola: Why I Turned Down 17 Honorary Degrees by Brandstudio01: 4:27pm On Aug 20, 2020
My brara Forget it many if these honorary degree is a yoke according to Calabar man grin

Abeg jare , I will Design a Professional Logo for your product or Business for 2k Only

18 Likes

Re: Fashola: Why I Turned Down 17 Honorary Degrees by flexxyworld(m): 4:27pm On Aug 20, 2020
This rocket science man just wanna trend small, as it seems we are forgetting about him.. it only actually shows how lost of educational sector seema, that ought too be the thinking faculty of the nation.. everything is politicised, just rare people with integrity. we stan

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fashola: Why I Turned Down 17 Honorary Degrees by Kunlekynbasa(m): 4:33pm On Aug 20, 2020
Interesting
Re: Fashola: Why I Turned Down 17 Honorary Degrees by lekki1444: 4:33pm On Aug 20, 2020
cheesy
Re: Fashola: Why I Turned Down 17 Honorary Degrees by Digitalstarlite: 4:34pm On Aug 20, 2020
So , who dis one help

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fashola: Why I Turned Down 17 Honorary Degrees by bolaayenimo: 4:34pm On Aug 20, 2020
i know they won't come back. Fashola wey stingy like madt

5 Likes

Re: Fashola: Why I Turned Down 17 Honorary Degrees by MrImole: 4:34pm On Aug 20, 2020
Are we supposed to applaud this?

6 Likes

Re: Fashola: Why I Turned Down 17 Honorary Degrees by Nobody: 4:34pm On Aug 20, 2020
I see. Mr overhype

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Fashola: Why I Turned Down 17 Honorary Degrees by uchelouis45(m): 4:35pm On Aug 20, 2020
Hmm.
He is right by the way but I disagree with the 'acceptable' version of Nigeria's history. I feel there will be alterations which wont be good for our development. The populace needs to know the undiluted truth about the history of Nigeria and not one cooked acceptable version. Acceptable by who if I may ask

27 Likes

Re: Fashola: Why I Turned Down 17 Honorary Degrees by jolyment: 4:35pm On Aug 20, 2020
H
Re: Fashola: Why I Turned Down 17 Honorary Degrees by Maxymilliano(m): 4:35pm On Aug 20, 2020
Well, he is quite right though.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fashola: Why I Turned Down 17 Honorary Degrees by 00cyberghost(m): 4:35pm On Aug 20, 2020
lol only one returned after he left the governorship seat? our education system has been bastardized

I am Clinton a full stack web developer. if you need a highly functional website to solve your business problems, please WhatsApp/call 0807 941 3738

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fashola: Why I Turned Down 17 Honorary Degrees by Jubrilv(m): 4:35pm On Aug 20, 2020
Honourary award should be on merit but Naija has turn it to something else

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fashola: Why I Turned Down 17 Honorary Degrees by biggie73(m): 4:36pm On Aug 20, 2020
It is what it is "honorary"- it has zero value.

8 Likes

Re: Fashola: Why I Turned Down 17 Honorary Degrees by IamWonderful: 4:36pm On Aug 20, 2020
I know a university will soon give Regina Daniel mother honorary degree for giving her daughter to Nwoko, it have been seriously abused

56 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Fashola: Why I Turned Down 17 Honorary Degrees by simplyesther(f): 4:36pm On Aug 20, 2020
You can buy anything in this country, especially if you are in a political office sad

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fashola: Why I Turned Down 17 Honorary Degrees by supercase1(m): 4:36pm On Aug 20, 2020
Praise god I just won 2 million naira cash from Bet9ja

22 Likes

Re: Fashola: Why I Turned Down 17 Honorary Degrees by nairalee(m): 4:37pm On Aug 20, 2020
Mr. 6 Months Rocket Science Just give us light. All these talk does not affect/concern majority of Nigerians

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fashola: Why I Turned Down 17 Honorary Degrees by newdayhascomelt(m): 4:37pm On Aug 20, 2020
Seriously
Re: Fashola: Why I Turned Down 17 Honorary Degrees by drey777: 4:37pm On Aug 20, 2020
Sensible submission

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fashola: Why I Turned Down 17 Honorary Degrees by unity004(m): 4:37pm On Aug 20, 2020
lol if to say na that your ministerial post you turn down eh for make sense but that useless honorary degree and you expect us to clap for you! F*ck off

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fashola: Why I Turned Down 17 Honorary Degrees by Kendumazy(m): 4:37pm On Aug 20, 2020
Hmmm
Re: Fashola: Why I Turned Down 17 Honorary Degrees by Harrykn: 4:38pm On Aug 20, 2020
You say?
Re: Fashola: Why I Turned Down 17 Honorary Degrees by PureGoldh(m): 4:38pm On Aug 20, 2020
If you get money...you can buy any degree you want as far as Nigeria is concerned
Re: Fashola: Why I Turned Down 17 Honorary Degrees by Jabioro: 4:39pm On Aug 20, 2020
Good one from you sir

1 Like

Re: Fashola: Why I Turned Down 17 Honorary Degrees by adioolayi(m): 4:39pm On Aug 20, 2020
grin
Re: Fashola: Why I Turned Down 17 Honorary Degrees by dalass(f): 4:40pm On Aug 20, 2020
Trade by barter degrees. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Fashola: Why I Turned Down 17 Honorary Degrees by Nobody: 4:40pm On Aug 20, 2020
Maxymilliano:
Well, he is quite right though.

He's very right. Some Universities use it to curry favour from Political Appointees. Nothing more smiley

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sunday Igboho Speaks Against 3rd World War After Release From Detention (Video) / Peter Obi Visits Maiduguri For Episcopal Church Ordinaton (Pictures) / MKO Abiola: How He Died - Dr Ore Falomo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.