Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,711 members, 7,816,917 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:13 PM

News From Ghana - Shops Lock Up. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / News From Ghana - Shops Lock Up. (669 Views)

FG To Expel Prison Controllers ‘taking Bribe To Lock Up Poor People’ / "Police Lock Up Innocent People At Orile Iganmu Police Station" (Pictures) / Ghanaians Declare War On Nigerians. Vowing To Lock Up All Nigerian Owned Shop. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

News From Ghana - Shops Lock Up. by BabaRamota1980: 12:23am On Aug 22, 2020
The Ghana Union of Traders Association (GUTA) has served notice it will storm the Eastern Region with Taskforce to close down all illegal retail shops of Nigerians.

Members of GUTA in Eastern Region are agitating over influx of foreigners mostly Nigerians in retail business contrary to the laws of Ghana.

The local GUTA Chapter has therefore issued an ultimatum demanding closure of retail shops of the Nigerians by August 31, 2020 threatening to unleash thugs to forcefully eject the Nigerians from the local market if their calls are not heeded

The Igbo King appealed to the Eastern Regional Minster to talk to GUTA, Eastern Region branch to temper justice with mercy and suspend their intended action.

https://mobile.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/NewsArchive/Igbo-King-meets-Eastern-Regional-Minister-over-closure-of-Nigerian-shops-1039576

Re: News From Ghana - Shops Lock Up. by realstars: 12:28am On Aug 22, 2020
This Is What We Started, I Pray They Temper Justice With Mercy.
Re: News From Ghana - Shops Lock Up. by Nobody: 12:50am On Aug 22, 2020
Ghana must go? grin
Re: News From Ghana - Shops Lock Up. by NkemChukwudi: 1:05am On Aug 22, 2020
IGBO must go!!!!

Home to Igboland Please!

2 Likes

Re: News From Ghana - Shops Lock Up. by PROUDIGBO(m): 2:15am On Aug 22, 2020
NkemChukwudi:
IGBO must go!!!!

Home to Igboland Please!

Interesting to see you're in support of Ghana traders locking up stalls of Nigerians! Going by your post, i assume your stand is based on your belief the victims are Igbo?

You want these traders to be sent back to Nigeria, and when back, be sent to Igboland?

What's your ethnicity?
Re: News From Ghana - Shops Lock Up. by NkemChukwudi: 10:36am On Aug 22, 2020
PROUDIGBO:

Interesting to see you're in support of Ghana traders locking up stalls of Nigerians! Going by your post, i assume your stand is based on your belief the victims are Igbo?

You want these traders to be sent back to Nigeria, and when back, be sent to Igboland?

What's your ethnicity?

I simply want us to build our homeland!

Is that too much to ask?

1 Like

Re: News From Ghana - Shops Lock Up. by helinues: 10:48am On Aug 22, 2020
Our brothers are really trespassing in Ghana.

Don't blame Ghana government for the crackdown

2 Likes

Re: News From Ghana - Shops Lock Up. by helinues: 10:49am On Aug 22, 2020
PROUDIGBO:

What's your ethnicity?

If they can't abide by the law of the land, Ghana government should lock up their stalls...

1 Like

Re: News From Ghana - Shops Lock Up. by PROUDIGBO(m): 11:04am On Aug 22, 2020
helinues:

If they can't abide by the law of the land, Ghana government should lock up their stalls...

Would expect a Ghanaian to make such a argument, not a 'Nigerian'!

So you think the 'law' is just and Nigerians who appropriately registered their businesses before the law was enacted shouldn't challenge it?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: News From Ghana - Shops Lock Up. by helinues: 11:05am On Aug 22, 2020
PROUDIGBO:

Would expect a Ghanaian to make such a argument, not a 'Nigerian'!

So you think the 'law' is just and Nigerians who appropriately registered their businesses before the law was enacted shouldn't challenge it?

Bro, before you start this argument, have you been to Ghana before?

1 Like

Re: News From Ghana - Shops Lock Up. by PROUDIGBO(m): 11:14am On Aug 22, 2020
helinues:

Bro, before you start this argument, have you been to Ghana before?

I'm not arguing with anyone.....discussing maybe!

Yes, i've been to Ghana.
Re: News From Ghana - Shops Lock Up. by Steady259(m): 11:15am On Aug 22, 2020
Nawa o
Re: News From Ghana - Shops Lock Up. by ERockson: 11:16am On Aug 22, 2020
Igbo abuse every opportunity. Ghana is trying to protect her citizens by all means

1 Like

Re: News From Ghana - Shops Lock Up. by helinues: 11:19am On Aug 22, 2020
PROUDIGBO:

I'm not arguing with anyone.....discussing maybe!

Yes, i've been to Ghana.

Are you aware there is now a mini computer village in Circle, where Nigerians sell phones and laptops... Not a big deal though

But the big deal about it is they are repeating Ikeja computer village scam there.... Selling fake products..

2 Likes

Re: News From Ghana - Shops Lock Up. by PROUDIGBO(m): 11:39am On Aug 22, 2020
helinues:

Are you aware there is now a mini computer village in Circle, where Nigerians sell phones and laptops... Not a big deal though

But the big deal about it is they are repeating Ikeja computer village scam there.... Selling fake products..

Where did you get the bolded information from?

So if, like you, the Ghana gov't are aware of this ongoing illegality, you think the solution would be to enact a retroactive law that says all *foreigners (*code for Nigerians) should pay $1 Million in order to carry on doing their business in Ghana? Wouldn't a better and fair option be to investigate the illegality going on in the computer village and prosecute anyone found guilty?

1 Like

Re: News From Ghana - Shops Lock Up. by helinues: 11:44am On Aug 22, 2020
PROUDIGBO:

So if, like you, the Ghana gov't are aware of this ongoing illegality, you think the solution would be to enact a retroactive law that says all *foreigners (*code for Nigerians) should pay $1 Million in order to carry on doing their business in Ghana? Wouldn't a better and fair option be to investigate the illegality going on in the computer village and prosecute anyone found guilty?

First hand experience when I took a guy to buy a laptop back in 2014.. Funniest part when we got there, the guy and the seller are from same village.. not disclosing their tribes.

I could see the scam but cos the guy and the seller are from same village, make the thing no be say I be bad Belle, after 2 days, the laptop stop working..

should pay $1 Million in order to carry on doing their business in Ghana

Have you bothered to ask their capital investment before the government is expecting them to pay $1m tax?
Re: News From Ghana - Shops Lock Up. by PROUDIGBO(m): 11:56am On Aug 22, 2020
helinues:

First hand experience when I took a guy to buy a laptop back in 2014.. Funniest part when we got there, the guy and the seller are from same village.. not disclosing their tribes.

I could see the scam but cos the guy and the seller are from same village, make the thing no be say I be bad Belle, after 2 days, the laptop stop working..

Have you bothered to ask their capital investment before the government is expecting them to pay $1m tax?

Even thought you made your accusation based on verified gov't investigations of ongoings in the market! So the basis of your tarring the entire market with the same brush is your interaction with one of the traders in the market? Did the guy who bought the fake laptop return it with the receipt for a refund?

As long as traders from the ECOWAS region fulfilled all documentary and financial requirements to legally run their business before the enactment of the $1 Million requirement, it shouldn't apply to them......possibly until their current documents lapse and they go for renewal! However, new entrants that registered their businesses after law was enacted should be subject to it or return back home! That should be the fair way to go about it!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: News From Ghana - Shops Lock Up. by helinues: 11:58am On Aug 22, 2020
PROUDIGBO:

Even thought you made your accusation based on verified gov't investigations of ongoings in the market! So the basis of your tarring the entire market with the same brush is your interaction with one of the traders in the market? Did the guy who bought the fake laptop return it with the receipt for a refund?

As long as traders from the ECOWAS region fulfilled all documentary and financial requirements to legally run their business before the enactment of the $1 Million requirement, it shouldn't apply to them......possibly until their current documents lapse and they go for renewal! However, new entrants that registered their businesses after law was enacted should be subject to it or return back home! That should be the fair way to go about it!

Do you know where average Nigerians sellers are in Ghana? It's Mokola market and I have never read of any harassment from the market.

We should stop all this foul crying... Is it only Nigerians that are doing business in Ghana?

2 Likes

Re: News From Ghana - Shops Lock Up. by Nobody: 12:02pm On Aug 22, 2020
helinues:

Do you know where average Nigerians sellers are in Ghana? It's Mokola market and I have never read of any harassment from the market.

We should stop all this foul crying... Is it only Nigerians that are doing business in Ghana?
answer the question stop running

2 Likes

Re: News From Ghana - Shops Lock Up. by helinues: 12:04pm On Aug 22, 2020
Igbochief001:

answer the question stop running

That same people from same village scam themselves, why should I be concerned?

If the claim of $1m to start a business is true,is it only Nigerians that will be affected?

1 Like

Re: News From Ghana - Shops Lock Up. by PROUDIGBO(m): 12:38pm On Aug 22, 2020
helinues:

That same people from same village scam themselves, why should I be concerned?

If the claim of $1m to start a business is true,is it only Nigerians that will be affected?

Dude, you're not makin any sense!

You're using a single instance/story to judge an entire market....and much worse, an entire people! Are you implying that in other markets all over Ghana, there are no instances of a fake or defective product being sold? And if you answer in the affirmative, does that mean the entire market should be closed down, and the ethnic group that makes up most of the traders in said market written off as 'scammers'?

The issue here is not whether only Nigerians would be affected by the $1 Million investment law, rather the issue is the fairness of it and how it's applied!

Based on your position thus far you're coming across as highly prejudiced and bigoted! It's all the more shocking that it's a 'fellow Nigerian' that's taking this stand!
Re: News From Ghana - Shops Lock Up. by Kennyswag: 12:55pm On Aug 22, 2020
They should chase igbos out of their country

1 Like

Re: News From Ghana - Shops Lock Up. by MosheDayan: 1:00pm On Aug 22, 2020
PROUDIGBO:

What's your ethnicity?
Children of the fallen one. Lucifer.
Re: News From Ghana - Shops Lock Up. by BabaRamota1980: 2:32pm On Aug 22, 2020
Proudigbo,
Yanminri people do not see any problem in sharp practices in trade. To you it is normal, infact you consider it brilliant and successful when you can cheat and scam others in an exchange. Amongst yourselves it might be viewed as a desired character, this is not the case in many other societies around the world. In many other places it is ignoble, immoral and wicked to collect someone's hard earned money and give to them a defect. Who do you know that desires to buy defect products? Nobody. Ibo has made name for itself as a marketer of defects. When questioned you quote law to your side. This erupts into anger because instead of admitting it as a bad trend and amending ways Ibos will want to expand into more territories to repeat the exact practices that have set people off. Eventually the anger boils over and erupts into what happened in SA. Then you are targeted, but again you dont take stock of the consequences of your actions, you instead blame others and accuse them of bigotry and hatred. Are you not hateful and wicked when you collect money in market and hand over a defect to your customer? If you can hide under law to perpetrate your trade and hurt others, authorities can also use law to hurt your business as you now see in Ghana. A govt can formulate policy that target just Ibo. They can target just Yoruba. They can target just Hausa. They can do this to the various ethnic groups and still package it under the label Nigeria. Do you not know this?

Increasingly around Africa you are trending negatively. Gabon, Kenya, SA, Senegal, Ghana, and even here at home in Nigeria. Anytime they come after you in these foreign countries it affects other innocent Nigerians that do their business honestly and with character. We cant suffer for your thoughtlessness and wicked ways. Stop defending scams and fraud. Start preaching to your brothers to linit scams and fraud to Iboland. When they step out into other lands they should observe decorum and trade with trust and honesty and goodwill.

GT Basden in his book Among Ibos of Nigeria said a lot about sharp practices in Iboland. His observation was made back in 1900 when Iboland was primitive. Is it not time to change, it is 2020.

1 Like

Re: News From Ghana - Shops Lock Up. by Area4Area: 2:39pm On Aug 22, 2020
PROUDIGBO:

When was the $1 million enacted by the Ghanaian government, maybe you think GUTA and Nigerian traders just started having troubles this year.

Over the years, most Nigerians going into retail trade know about the law but would still go in expecting the Ghanaian government to change their laws because of them.
Have your $1 million and employ at least 12 Ghanaians and you are good to go like shoprite, failure to do that you better find something else doing or come back home.
Re: News From Ghana - Shops Lock Up. by Area4Area: 2:41pm On Aug 22, 2020
helinues:

The thing is this, most Nigerians know about the law but would still go in expecting the Ghanaian government to change the law to favour them.
Re: News From Ghana - Shops Lock Up. by Area4Area: 2:44pm On Aug 22, 2020
PROUDIGBO:

Dude, you're not makin any sense!

You're using a single instance/story to judge an entire market....and much worse, an entire people! Are you implying that in other markets all over Ghana, there are no instances of a fake or defective product being sold? And if you answer in the affirmative, does that mean the entire market should be closed down, and the ethnic group that makes up most of the traders in said market written off as 'scammers'?

The issue here is not whether only Nigerians would be affected by the $1 Million investment law, rather the issue is the fairness of it and how it's applied!

Based on your position thus far you're coming across as highly prejudiced and bigoted! It's all the more shocking that it's a 'fellow Nigerian' that's taking this stand!
The law is for all foreigners in Ghana and since Nigerians are more pronounced in retailing, you should expect it to appear anti-Nigerian
Re: News From Ghana - Shops Lock Up. by 7lives: 2:51pm On Aug 22, 2020
helinues:

CHAI.
Re: News From Ghana - Shops Lock Up. by tungamaje: 3:40pm On Aug 22, 2020
NkemChukwudi:
IGBO must go!!!!

Home to Igboland Please!
I agree with you that Igbos are the targets because they are mainly traders who rent shops unlike millions of Yorubas who one can't really pinpoint their means of survival as sellers of agbo, fetish items, plastic containers and the like. I believe they are only there enjoying the basic amenities which they lack in their villages back home and that's why they make Ghana their home and refuse to return back to Nigeria Go to Ivory Coast, there are also millions of Yorubas who now count themselves as Ivorians. A certain yorubas lady once asked me, pourquoi vous les nigerians ne restez pas chez vous, vous etes partout? meaning why are you Nigerians everywhere and don't stay in your country? I asked her if she knew Yorubas are also Nigerians. Don't be surprised Yorubas may be among the thugs attacking Igbo traders in Ghana. Yorubas should learn to return home and develop their villages instead of fleeing
Re: News From Ghana - Shops Lock Up. by NkemChukwudi: 5:05pm On Aug 22, 2020
tungamaje:

I agree with you that Igbos are the targets because they are mainly traders who rent shops unlike millions of Yorubas who one can't really pinpoint their means of survival as sellers of agbo, fetish items, plastic containers and the like. I believe they are only there enjoying the basic amenities which they lack in their villages back home and that's why they make Ghana their home and refuse to return back to Nigeria Go to Ivory Coast, there are also millions of Yorubas who now count themselves as Ivorians. A certain yorubas lady once asked me, pourquoi vous les nigerians ne restez pas chez vous, vous etes partout? meaning why are you Nigerians everywhere and don't stay in your country? I asked her if she knew Yorubas are also Nigerians. Don't be surprised Yorubas may be among the thugs attacking Igbo traders in Ghana. Yorubas should learn to return home and develop their villages instead of fleeing

Yorubas are 4th generation in Ivory Coast and are bonafide people of that country. They are loyal to cote d’evoir and they are Ivorians 1st. No issues there.

Igbo people behave like beasts everywhere they go and they are responsible for the negative treatment of Nigerians everywhere.

Igbo should go back home and create the much needed infrastructure there. Nonsense!!!

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

VIDEO Kano Installs First Metro CCTV In The State. / Set Aside Your Anger And Return To APC, Ize-iyamu Begs Obaseki / Reply To American Blasts Nigeria:Time To Stop Supporting Fantastically Corrupt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.