Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,432 members, 7,954,715 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 07:47 AM

Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far - Travel (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far (67087 Views)

Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far / Third Mainland Bridge Closure; What Is Your Experience So Far? / Any Nigerian In Kigali, Rwanda? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by RodgersAkpafu: 10:52pm On Jul 20, 2021
ChristoBam:

Wow just look at you mentioning Jim Crow. I could as well refer to as early as the early 2000s when Russian universally used to lock university hostels to protect the black students on some particular dates.

False accusations can be made against you whether you're black or white. Like I said, you're falling for the politics of the media..White guys, Asian guys and black guys get falsely accused of Rape, theft and what not everyday. One thing is certain you'll get your day in court.

If you have sex with a girl and she screams rape, what facts would you use to defend yourself whether you're black or white? It has nothing to do with color. If you have a good lawyer, you can even have a jury picked that'll favor you just because you're black.

In Russia if a girl accuses you of rape as a black guy. Just run
You can't compare please.

You speak of institutionalized racism but so many black people are head of huge organizations in the US. How's it in Russia with the foreigners there? I'm not even talking of only the blacks o.

The ones working in certain organizations in Russia, can they boldly say they have a chance of ever getting a good position in that organization?

And you talk of institutionalized racism?

You even talk of institutionalized racism in US laws? In 2021? Seems your knowledge about the US is based on the early 90s.
The bolded happens in US A LOT
The American South especially
Even till today
All it takes is an accusation
And lynching could be the black mans portion.
Being a black man in the USA is hard
And I'm not even making reference to the politics

It's just the way it is

Russia has FAR FEWER black folks than most countries in Europe, Canada and the USA
If fact our interactions with the slavic people are less than 100 years old
Compared to many centuries of dealing with the anglo saxons
With far fewer black people
You really expect them to be visible at the top echelon of corporate Rossiya?
A black man won election over a white person in that same Russia
He served his term
And did not suffer racial violence
All hell will break loose in Lagos if an igbo man wins office as governor of Lagos
You know it
I know it
So what are you even talking about ?

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by ChristoBam: 10:56pm On Jul 20, 2021
RodgersAkpafu:

If you think institutional racism is not a problem in America
Even in 2021
Then I'm afraid
You are looking at the USA using rose tinted glasses
My point has always been
As a black man
Dont expect to he cuddled up ANYWHERE
Getting the short end of the stick is a likelihood
Everywhere
Period

Stop twisting and turning abeg.

You said institutionalized racism is included in the US laws. That's when I mentioned that this is 2021.

And what we're talking about is comparisons between Russia and the US. No one is saying the US is perfect.
Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by RodgersAkpafu: 10:56pm On Jul 20, 2021
Gerrymandering and voter suppression against black folks is still a thing in 2021 America
Red lining (which btw created the hoods in the first place) is still a problem in 2021 America
Black folks homes in the same area are appraised for less value by real estate valuers, and at the same time over charged for buying the same property in 2021 America
There have been many instances of black folks having to use white friends as a front to get better appraisals for their homes

My brother leave story
Anything you see wherever you are
Manage your situation and deal with it

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by Jorussia(m): 10:56pm On Jul 20, 2021
RodgersAkpafu:

Anyways
Seems like you already have your mind fixated
But I'll say this
Russia is not much different from the usa when you are talking of racism
In fact I often argue that racism in the usa is worse than in russia for the single fact that it is only USA in the whole world that codified and institutionalized racism in their laws and institutions
Jim crow and red lining should ring a bell.
Many many black people in the usa have gotten into trouble just because a white person called law enforcement on then
The jails are filled with innocent black men who their only crime was being black
Blacks get harsher sentence than whites for the same crimes committed and that is institutionalized

In russia there is nothing like that
Racism is more on a.personal level
Than institutional
I don't know what that guy's problem is.Dont bother arguing with him.he is an ignorant literate.Russians are the nicest white people that i have communicated with.i love them wholeheartedly.that doesn't mean i have not come in contact with racist among them.even recently my younger brother had a racist encounter with one guy he simply ignored him and moved on.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by RodgersAkpafu: 10:57pm On Jul 20, 2021
ChristoBam:

Stop twisting and turning abeg.

You said institutionalized racism is included in the US laws. That's when I mentioned that this is 2021
And what we're talking about is comparisons between Russia and the US. No one is saying the US is perfect.
It is
You are just refusing to see it
Tbe US census show of shame is a pointer to it
Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by RodgersAkpafu: 11:01pm On Jul 20, 2021
Jorussia:
I don't know what that guy's problem is.Dont bother arguing with him.he is an ignorant literate.Russians are the nicest white people that i have communicated with.i love them wholeheartedly.that doesn't mean i have not come in contact with racist among them.even recently my younger brother had a racist encounter with one guy he simply ignored him and moved on.
Russians have racists in their midst
That's an irrefutable fact
But the USA he was bringing into the discourse has a racist foundation
Does he even know that a lot of African Americans fled to the Soviet union in the early 20th century to escape the aftermath of the Jim Crow and "Separate but equal" b.s. going on in the USA?

The Soviets built a university for africans, named it after a great African leader who was cut short (Lumumba) and even gave thousands of scholarships for African students to gain skills and competences free of charge ?
My HOD back in the day was one of the beneficiaries
The brother should just take a chill pill abeg

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by ChristoBam: 11:03pm On Jul 20, 2021
RodgersAkpafu:

The bolded happens in US A LOT
The American South especially
Even till today
All it takes is an accusation
And lynching could be the black mans portion.
Being a black man in the USA is hard
And I'm not even making reference to the politics

It's just the way it is

Russia has FAR FEWER black folks than most countries in Europe, Canada and the USA
If fact our interactions with the slavic people are less than 100 years old
Compared to many centuries of dealing with the anglo saxons
With far fewer black people
You really expect them to be visible at the top echelon of corporate Rossiya?
A black man won election over a white person in that same Russia
He served his term
And did not suffer racial violence
All hell will break loose in Lagos if an igbo man wins office as governor of Lagos
You know it
I know it
So what are you even talking about ?

You seem to be making my point for me actually. Btwn I asked about achievements of foreigners in Russia not just blacks.

What you just gave me is an excuse on whey institutionalised racism is so terrible in Russia.

And that's a huge lie. Lynching where? Just like I said, you're arguing based on ocuurences in the early 1900s.
Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by ChristoBam: 11:04pm On Jul 20, 2021
RodgersAkpafu:

Russians have racists in their midst
That's an irrefutable fact
But the USA he was bringing into the discourse has a racist foundation
Does he even know that a lot of African Americans fled to the Soviet union in the early 20th century to escape the aftermath of the Jim Crow and "Separate but equal" b.s. going on in the USA?

The Soviets built a university for africans, named it after a great African leader who was cut short (Lumumba) and even gave thousands of scholarships for African students to gain skills and competences free of charge ?
My HOD back in the day was one of the beneficiaries
The brother should just take a chill pill abeg

Back to Jim Crow and 1900s again
Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by ChristoBam: 11:12pm On Jul 20, 2021
I've made my own points. I hope the guy that said he wants to talk about Russia as it is shows up.

The mind is a very tricky thing. You can convince yourselves it's better in Russia than the US in terms of racism. Na una sabi.

Everyone is happy to go to the US. They should also have the same feeling about Russia abi? Since Racism is basically the same abi? No wahala.

If you no get mind, go to Russia. Whatever your eyes sees, na you sabi.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by RodgersAkpafu: 11:12pm On Jul 20, 2021
ChristoBam:

You seem to be making my point for me actually. Btwn I asked about achievements of foreigners in Russia not just blacks.

What you just gave me is an excuse on whey institutionalised racism is so terrible in Russia.

And that's a huge lie. Lynching where? Just like I said, you're arguing based on ocuurences in the early 1900s.
I tried giving you the benefit of doubt
But maybe Jorussia is really right about you
Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by RodgersAkpafu: 11:17pm On Jul 20, 2021
ChristoBam:
I've made my own points. I hope the guy that said he wants to talk about Russia as it is shows up.

The mind is a very tricky thing. You can convince yourselves it's better in Russia than the US in terms of racism. Na una sabi.

Everyone is happy to go to the US. They should also have the same feeling about Russia abi? Since Racism is basically the same abi? No wahala.

If you no get mind, go to Russia. Whatever your eyes sees, na you sabi.
Adults make their decisions and live with whatever comes out of it.
Life in itself is a risk and nothin is guaranteed or absolute
I'm sure Amadou Diallo who left his country to chase the American dream did not plan to be another victim of white supremacy and the racist system of the USA
Or the other brother from St Lucia who came to the USA to study, was this close to graduation before being gunned down by a psycho white woman who was obviously lying through her teeth.

My advise to anyone is to do your homework, make your choice, and then live with it
Peace

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by ChristoBam: 11:17pm On Jul 20, 2021
RodgersAkpafu:
Gerrymandering and voter suppression against black folks is still a thing in 2021 America
Red lining (which btw created the hoods in the first place) is still a problem in 2021 America
Black folks homes in the same area are appraised for less value by real estate valuers, and at the same time over charged for buying the same property in 2021 America
There have been many instances of black folks having to use white friends as a front to get better appraisals for their homes

My brother leave story
Anything you see wherever you are
Manage your situation and deal with it

In Russia, your property can be taken over by anyone with enough juice. If you're lucky, you might get paid a fraction of what you initially paid for the property.
Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by RodgersAkpafu: 11:22pm On Jul 20, 2021
ChristoBam:

In Russia, your property can be taken over by anyone with enough juice. If you're lucky, you might get paid a fraction of what you initially paid for the property.
Civil Forfeiture was (and still is) another tool the Institutional racist system dispossessed minorities of their homes
Thanks to congress woman Rashida Talib and others who are raising awareness about it and fighting it tooth and nail
More and more minorities would have been victims of it.
There are even deliberate policies to disenfranchise black folks in the USA, and those structures are still working on overdrive
Till today
I dont know about it
But I'm sure that a black man who is a naturalised russian would have it easier to vote than a black american in a state like Michigan (you saw the shenanigans that went down in 2016)
Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by ChristoBam: 11:29pm On Jul 20, 2021
RodgersAkpafu:

Adults make their decisions and live with whatever comes out of it.
Life in itself is a risk and nothin is guaranteed or absolute
I'm sure Amadou Diallo who left his country to chase the American dream did not plan to be another victim of white supremacy and the racist system of the USA
Or the other brother from St Lucia who came to the USA to study, was this close to graduation before being gunned down by a psycho white woman who was obviously lying through her teeth.

My advise to anyone is to do your homework, make your choice, and then live with it
Peace

Yeah, an adult thinking of a country suitable for him/her will read through threads like this and make a decision based on what he sees.

Lamzar Samba was a student that only going to the Metro early in the morning and got gunned down by some Racist dudes in Moscow.

I can also start this and we start listing racist deaths. But that's not the point. We know the point.
Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by RodgersAkpafu: 11:33pm On Jul 20, 2021
ChristoBam:

Yeah, an adult thinking of a country suitable for him/her will read through threads like this and make a decision based on what he sees.

Lamzar Samba was a student that only going to the Metro early in the morning and got gunned down by some Racist dudes in Moscow.

I can also start this and we start listing racist deaths. But that's not the point. We know the point.

Research should be broad based
Multiple sources
Balanced perspectives.
A prospective black student who does not take into account the racial probabilities in Russia AND USA or any other country for that matter is not serious

Make your choice; and take responsibility for it
Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by ChristoBam: 11:41pm On Jul 20, 2021
RodgersAkpafu:

Research should be broad based
Multiple sources
Balanced perspectives.
A prospective black student who does not take into account the racial probabilities in Russia AND USA or any other country for that matter is not serious

Make your choice; and take responsibility for it

I think I've made my point. I'll rather not continue with the back and forths.
Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by RodgersAkpafu: 11:45pm On Jul 20, 2021
ChristoBam:

I think I've made my point. I'll rather not continue with the back and forths.
I have made my own point too.
And I'm glad that many will read it and concur with me
I think we should lay it to rest here
To not further derail the thread
Peace cool
Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by brainiac228(m): 12:42am On Jul 21, 2021
miidae:
Who Dey write skoltech online test today?
What's up
Which course you been apply?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by miidae(f): 7:21am On Jul 23, 2021
brainiac228:

What's up
Which course you been apply?
Material Science
You??

1 Like

Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by brainiac228(m): 8:31am On Jul 23, 2021
miidae:

Material Science
You??
IoT
Hope the test wasn't that difficult for you?
Right now I'm waiting patiently for my score from the test. I'm nervous! I hope it comes out well.
Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by brainiac228(m): 9:43am On Jul 23, 2021
Good morning everyone,
Please for those that wrote the skoltech online test last week has anyone received his or her test score?
I'm curious it's already 23rd the suppose date for the release of the score. I don refresh my email tire.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by DynamicFaith: 2:13pm On Jul 23, 2021
Likewise me o, I am so curious. I can't wait to see the results. Which course did you choose
brainiac228:
Good morning everyone,
Please for those that wrote the skoltech online test last week has anyone received his or her test score?
I'm curious it's already 23rd the suppose date for the release of the score. I don refresh my email tire.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by brainiac228(m): 5:08pm On Jul 23, 2021
For those that applied to skoltech for Msc check your email.
Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by RodgersAkpafu: 7:42pm On Jul 23, 2021
brainiac228:
For those that applied to skoltech for Msc check your email.
Hope you got a favourable feedback

1 Like

Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by brainiac228(m): 8:31pm On Jul 23, 2021
RodgersAkpafu:

Hope you got a favourable feedback
Yes
I scale through to the final stage.
Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by brainiac228(m): 8:36pm On Jul 23, 2021
Ayomide002:
nobody knows anything yet, but they are likely going to. Projecting may ending or early June.
What's up bro
I need your assistance.
Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by RodgersAkpafu: 9:24pm On Jul 23, 2021
brainiac228:

Yes
I scale through to the final stage.
Congratulations

1 Like

Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by brainiac228(m): 3:22am On Jul 24, 2021
RodgersAkpafu:

Congratulations
Thanks bro
Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by whatmoreng: 7:00am On Jul 24, 2021
Very interesting thread. I spent the night reading. Woaw.
Which cheap school is currently open for application now?
Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by RodgersAkpafu: 12:38pm On Jul 24, 2021
whatmoreng:
Very interesting thread. I spent the night reading. Woaw.
Which cheap school is currently open for application now?
What's your budget?
The answer to this will help us answer your question
And yes, a second question
Undergrad or Postgraduate
Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by whatmoreng: 1:30pm On Jul 24, 2021
RodgersAkpafu:

What's your budget?
The answer to this will help us answer your question
And yes, a second question
Undergrad or Postgraduate
Thanks sir. My budget is low. Like 5h thousand naira. Is it possible?
Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by RodgersAkpafu: 2:12pm On Jul 24, 2021
whatmoreng:

Thanks sir. My budget is low. Like 5h thousand naira. Is it possible?
Unfortunately not

500k is just north of $1000+
N4m to cover fees plus flight plus one year worth of expenses is what I'll recommend
Some may say it's too much
Some will say its little
And they may b right based on their perspective
but I know that N4m can carry you over the fence and keep you comfy in russia
At least for the first year
Are you doing undergrad or postgraduate

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (29) (Reply)

Bauchi Airport Releases Statement On People Using Ladder To Board Aircraft / Newly Commissioned Abia Flyover Turned To Dumping Site (photo) / Happie Boys Deported To Nigeria From Cyprus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.