Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,167 members, 7,821,957 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:49 PM

Learning A Foreign Language? Get In Here - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Learning A Foreign Language? Get In Here (4028 Views)

Advice: Learning A Skilled Work Before Moving To US For Msc. / How To Save Millions Of Naira As A Foreign Student In Europe. / My Experience In Germany As A Foreign Student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Learning A Foreign Language? Get In Here by Xeeex: 6:04pm On Aug 23, 2020
Learning a foreign language can be challenging and humiliating. Learning languages can be difficult and it can also be easy based on how your mind is programmed.

The difficulty of learning a language also depends on the type of language you speak and the language you are learning.

For example, an English speaker will learn Dutch, German, Danish faster than languages like Arabic, Estonian, Finnish and Chinese.

Spanish speakers speaking in Spanish can hold a conversation with Portuguese speakers speaking in Portuguese. The languages have about 90% similarity.

The key to learning a language is to find a concrete reason to learn the language and the make the process of learning enjoyable.

One hour a day of language learning will accumulate to about 360 hours of learning in a year and with that one can be pretty good in the new language.

Learning new languages opens several new opportunities and open doors to new communities. You will make friends with people who you will never know if you didn't speak their language.

The key to learning languages is immersion. Immerse yourself in the language and build slowly.

Apps like Duolingo helps but they are restricted on the level which they can take you. Get books, audio files and make a friend in your target language.

Slow and steady wins the race. It won't be easy but it would be worthwhile.

Lastly, learn important languages that presents you opportunities and are spoken by many people.

Learn endangered languages and help preserve languages that are going extinct.

Learning languages makes you more human and if you want to preach to someone, there is no better way than to talk to the person in his native language.

Share your experiences learning languages and some benefits you got just because you can speak a particular language.

Re: Learning A Foreign Language? Get In Here by etrange: 6:27pm On Aug 23, 2020
Nice.

It's good to have a concrete reason to learn a language but most times, you get much better results if you learn it as a hobby. However, not everyone is passionate about languages until the need to learn one arises.

4 Likes

Re: Learning A Foreign Language? Get In Here by Xeeex: 6:31pm On Aug 23, 2020
etrange:
Nice.

It's good to have a concrete reason to learn a language but most times, you get much better results if you learn it as a hobby. However, not everyone is passionate about languages until the need to learn one arises.

Exactly, everyone has different passions
Re: Learning A Foreign Language? Get In Here by Nobody: 8:05pm On Aug 23, 2020
O Lord how I wan learn Dutch nw grin
Re: Learning A Foreign Language? Get In Here by Petyprincess(f): 9:36pm On Aug 23, 2020
I have been learning polish but it is challenging!

Duolingo isn't helping that much so i stopped.
I hope to learn french and Spanish in future also.

4 Likes

Re: Learning A Foreign Language? Get In Here by Venquire: 10:46pm On Aug 23, 2020
I'm currently learning French through ICLR program.

2 Likes

Re: Learning A Foreign Language? Get In Here by Cousin9999: 12:15am On Aug 24, 2020
Xeeex:
Learning a foreign language can be challenging and humiliating. Learning languages can be difficult and it can also be easy based on how your mind is programmed.

The difficulty of learning a language also depends on the type of language you speak and the language you are learning.

This is an idiotic comment. It's not that hard, or a big deal.
Re: Learning A Foreign Language? Get In Here by Xeeex: 7:03am On Aug 24, 2020
Cousin9999:

This is an idiotic comment. It's not that hard, or a big deal.

K
Re: Learning A Foreign Language? Get In Here by Xeeex: 7:05am On Aug 24, 2020
Petyprincess:

If you want to give it another shot, you can use Duolingo, Busuu and Mondly apps at the same time. It will help you understand comprehension more.

You can also download a polish book or the language you want to learn on wikibooks. The books explain more.

Viel Erfolg

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Learning A Foreign Language? Get In Here by Xeeex: 7:09am On Aug 24, 2020
I'll soon create a thread about how I learned a language to B1 on my own, but I should reach b1 first, I'm around A2 now
Re: Learning A Foreign Language? Get In Here by Xeeex: 7:11am On Aug 24, 2020
ZINIBANKS:
O Lord how I wan learn Dutch nw grin

Dutch is close to the English language and it won't be difficult to learn. Download books and apps like Duolingo, Busuu and Mondly.

In a year, you can hold everyday conversations and talk with speakers about many topics.

Viel Erfolg

1 Like

Re: Learning A Foreign Language? Get In Here by Albertone(m): 6:38pm On Sep 18, 2020
Xeeex:
I'll soon create a thread about how I learned a language to B1 on my own, but I should reach b1 first, I'm around A2 now
Hallo Brudder.Guten Abend.Ich Möchte deutsch sehr Lernen.Bitte,Ich Möchte dein Helfen.

please explain how you are learning deutsch all by yourself.

I started 2018 but wasn't making any progress so I dumped it.

I don't know topics to learn in their proper order.

I know numbers,Alphabet,Basic introduction,Some verbs and their conjugations,Some nouns,some adjectives.I don't know what next(Tho i will need to refresh my memory again)

Bitte Helfen mir, Ich habe A1 noch nicht erreicht.
Danke!
Re: Learning A Foreign Language? Get In Here by Xeeex: 10:37pm On Sep 18, 2020
grin
Albertone:
Hallo Brudder.Guten Abend.Ich Möchte deutsch sehr Lernen.Bitte,Ich Möchte dein Helfen.

I know numbers,Alphabet,Basic introduction,Some verbs and their conjugations,Some nouns,some adjectives.I don't know what next(Tho i will need to refresh my memory again)

Danke!

ich freue mich, dass du versuchst deutsch zu lernen.

I started learning with a book called 15 minute German. after that I used Duolingo and Busuu.
I've finished Duolingo but I still use it to practice. there a also a good German book on Wikipedia that's free.

now I use Anki and I read children books in German. I also watch movies I'm German. check out Nico weg on YouTube and I recently watch 'freaks, you're one of us'. it's a German movie on netnaija.

try to watch German movies and videos. also check out easy German channel on YouTube.

Anki is very helpful, it helps you learn the most commonly used German words and sentences.

I'm also on German learning groups on WhatsApp, facebook and reddit. try to immerse yourself in the language. you'll be good in a few months. practice everyday.

diese ist die letzte Absatz und ich werde es in deutsch zu schreiben grin
Albertone:

Danke!

I started learning with a book called 15 minute German. after that I used Duolingo and Busuu.
I've finished Duolingo but I still use it to practice. there a also a good German book on Wikipedia that's free.

now I use Anki and I read children books in German. I also watch movies I'm German. check out Nico weg on YouTube and I recently watch 'freaks, you're one of us'. it's a German movie on netnaija.

try to watch German movies and videos. also check out easy German channel on YouTube.

Anki is very helpful, it helps you learn the most commonly used German words and sentences.

I'm also on German learning groups on WhatsApp, facebook and reddit. try to immerse yourself in the language. you'll be good in a few months. practice everyday.

diese ist die letzte Absatz und ich werde es in deutsch zu schreiben. deutsch ist nicht schwer wie viele Mensch sagt, sondern ein schönes und einfach Sprache

ich hoffe dass du schnell deutsch lernen

viel Erfolg

2 Likes

Re: Learning A Foreign Language? Get In Here by Albertone(m): 9:11am On Sep 19, 2020
Xeeex:

Dutch is close to the English language and it won't be difficult to learn. Download books and apps like Duolingo, Busuu and Mondly.

In a year, you can hold everyday conversations and talk with speakers about many topics.

Viel Erfolg
Bro I guess you mentioned me cos you were the last person to comment on this thread but when I opened this thread,I couldn't see your post.

Please can you help me retype?
Thanks...
Re: Learning A Foreign Language? Get In Here by Xeeex: 1:56am On Sep 20, 2020
Albertone:
Bro I guess you mentioned me cos you were the last person to comment on this thread but when I opened this thread,I couldn't see your post.

Thanks...

diese ist die letzte Absatz und ich werde es in deutsch zu schreiben. deutsch ist nicht schwer wie viele Mensch sagt, sondern ein schönes und einfach Sprache

viel Erfolg
Re: Learning A Foreign Language? Get In Here by Canada2020PR: 2:04am On Sep 20, 2020
Venquire:

I am interested in learning French. Pls what's ICLR PROGRAM ?
Re: Learning A Foreign Language? Get In Here by Brawlscartel(m): 7:04am On Sep 20, 2020
I'm currently learning Czech language
Re: Learning A Foreign Language? Get In Here by Xeeex: 1:01pm On Sep 20, 2020
Albertone:

Thanks...

Sorry bro, I was banned, I tried replying several times

viel Erfolg

Re: Learning A Foreign Language? Get In Here by Albertone(m): 2:01pm On Sep 20, 2020
Xeeex:

Sorry bro, I was banned, I tried replying several times

viel Erfolg
Wow!Quite insightful and I'm really impressed and feel encouraged.Vielen dank!

Sorry about the ban.I sent a PM because I didn't hear from you.

I will utilize all the materials you talked about.
But I need to ask,How did you know your proficiency level?Did you take the proficiency exam at Goethe institute?

Modified:
The learn german in 15 minutes I saw is of 57mb size.I need to know if its the right one because I was expecting a max size of 12mb since its a book.

I also need to know the name of the book you recommended on wikipedia.

Also,how do I go about practicing speaking since I know no one who I can speak with?
Re: Learning A Foreign Language? Get In Here by Xeeex: 2:09pm On Sep 20, 2020
Albertone:

But I need to ask,How did you know your proficiency level?Did you take the proficiency exam at Goethe institute?

If you learn and work with graded learning materials you may be able to estimate.

You can also take the placement test on the Deutsche welle website or on the goethe institute website

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Learning A Foreign Language? Get In Here by Albertone(m): 2:12pm On Sep 20, 2020
Xeeex:

If you learn and work with graded learning materials you may be able to estimate.

You can also take the placement test on the Deutsche welle website or on the goethe institute website
Thanks..I modified my post
Re: Learning A Foreign Language? Get In Here by Xeeex: 4:18pm On Sep 20, 2020
Albertone:

Modified:
The learn german in 15 minutes I saw is of 57mb size.I need to know if its the right one because I was expecting a max size of 12mb since its a book.

I also need to know the name of the book you recommended on wikipedia.

Also,how do I go about practicing speaking since I know no one who I can speak with?

Yeah, the book I have is around 60 mb. It has pictures.

I'll send you my number through email and send you the book

I practice mainly on online groups
Re: Learning A Foreign Language? Get In Here by Albertone(m): 5:04pm On Sep 20, 2020
Xeeex:

Yeah, the book I have is around 60 mb. It has pictures.

I'll send you my number through email and send you the book

I practice mainly on online groups
Oh thanks so much!

I'll send a DM now!
Re: Learning A Foreign Language? Get In Here by AirstarKane(f): 6:07pm On Sep 20, 2020
Venquire:
Same here. It's been interesting. I just love to learn new languages.. I enrolled for Spanish ,French and Arabic.

1 Like

Re: Learning A Foreign Language? Get In Here by AirstarKane(f): 6:14pm On Sep 20, 2020
Canada2020PR:

I am interested in learning French. Pls what's ICLR PROGRAM ?
It a program for language learning. Check them out on Instagram.
Re: Learning A Foreign Language? Get In Here by Albertone(m): 7:05pm On Sep 20, 2020
AirstarKane:

It a program for language learning. Check them out on Instagram.
How much?

And is the learning on IG too?
Re: Learning A Foreign Language? Get In Here by AirstarKane(f): 7:13pm On Sep 20, 2020
Albertone:
How much?

And is the learning on IG too?
I paid about 5k and it's a scholarship kinda. The training is not instagram
Re: Learning A Foreign Language? Get In Here by Albertone(m): 7:18pm On Sep 20, 2020
AirstarKane:

I paid about 5k and it's a scholarship kinda. The training is not instagram
So how will the program go?
Classroom?Zoom?Where??
Re: Learning A Foreign Language? Get In Here by AirstarKane(f): 8:03pm On Sep 20, 2020
Albertone:
So how will the program go?
Classroom?Zoom?Where??
It's as. Recorded class and you have to answer questions both oral and written. It's quite embedded and interesting especially for French. They simplified language for you. Although I have an open mind when it comes to language learning. English is quite boring for me.
Re: Learning A Foreign Language? Get In Here by Hadampson(m): 8:32pm On Sep 20, 2020
Petyprincess:

The best way to learn a language is to look for learning resources online and also, watch videos on YouTube. Duolingo is a gamified language app with a computerized voice. Not good if you are a beginner.

Input "learn polish" on Google Play Store or Apple Store and search. You'd see some useful applications there. Don't forget to check the rating. Good luck sis
Re: Learning A Foreign Language? Get In Here by Petyprincess(f): 8:38pm On Sep 20, 2020
Hadampson:

The best way to learn a language is to look for learning resources online and also, watch videos on YouTube. Duolingo is a gamified language app with a computerized voice. Not good if you are a beginner.

Input "learn polish" on Google Play Store or Apple Store and search. You'd see some useful applications there. Don't forget to check the rating. Good luck sis
Thanks hadamp,i just wanted surprise someone grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerians In Finland. / How To Guide Against A Stolen Nigerian International Passport / I Want Enter Botswana

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.