Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,595 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:45 PM

Eyo Charles: Journalist Attacked By Fani-Kayode Speaks On Ordeal - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Eyo Charles: Journalist Attacked By Fani-Kayode Speaks On Ordeal (28604 Views)

Eyo Charles To Be Honoured By The Sha’aya’u S-Pawa Foundation After FFK's Insult / Eyo Charles: Femi Fani-Kayode Speaks On Incident With Daily Trust Journalist / Akpabio Vs Nunieh: Femi Fani-Kayode Speaks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Eyo Charles: Journalist Attacked By Fani-Kayode Speaks On Ordeal by joelbooks: 7:16pm On Aug 25, 2020
A journalist who had a sour encounter at a press briefing with a former Minister of Aviation, Femi Fani-Kayode, in Calabar, Cross River State, has narrated his ordeal to PREMIUM TIMES.

A video being circulated via WhatsApp shows Mr Fani-Kayode abruptly leaving the briefing after pouring invective on the reporter, Eyo Charles of Daily Trust newspaper, whom he said asked him an “insulting” question.

The incident happened on Thursday at a private hotel where the former minister was briefing reporters on his tour of projects in the South-South state.

The briefing was moderated by Governor Ben Ayade’s spokesperson, Christian Ita, and attended by reporters from Vanguard, Punch, NAN, AIT, and other media houses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Yx8jVPNDkY

“What type of stupid is that? What type of stupid question is that? Bankrolling who? Do you know who you are talking to?” Mr Fani-Kayode said angrily to the reporter.

Mr Fani-Kayode, in the video, turned and looked at Governor Ayade’s spokesperson, Mr Ita, who sat close to him. He said he was not going to take any more questions from Mr Charles.

“What type of insulting question is that? Which bankroll? To do what? Who can give me money for anything? Who do you think you are talking to? Bankroll what? Go and report yourself to your publisher.”

The governor’s spokesperson, Mr Ita, stood up and tried to pacify the former minister. “Sorry sir,” Mr Ita said to him. But it appeared he was too angry to listen.

“I could see from your face before you got here, how stupid you are. Don’t ever talk to me like that,” Mr Fani-Kayode kept yelling at the reporter who was still standing and apologising — “I am sorry, sir.”

Don’t judge me by your own standards,” the former minister kept saying.

“I have been in politics since 1990. I am not one of those politicians that you think will just come…. I was taken, I have been locked up how many times by this government. I have been prosecuted, unlike most of these politicians you follow for brown envelopes!

“Don’t ever judge me by that standard. I spend, I don’t take and I am not a poor man, I have never been and will never be.”

The other reporters appeared stupefied by the incident and did not ask Mr Fani-Kayode any further question. The minister suddenly stood up and left the room.

“I was disorganised” — Journalist

The Daily Trust reporter, Mr Charles, told PREMIUM TIMES that he was “more disorganised” and had to apologise to Mr Fani-Kayode when he heard other reporters told him right there that he should not have asked the question.

He said he did not expect the former minister to “suddenly jumped” at him.

“The question was sir, you said you have gone round six or seven states to inspect projects undertaken by those governors, and now you are here in Cross River state, rounding off your one-week visit to Governor Ayade. Who is bankrolling you?” Mr Charles said.

Mr Charles said after the incident a “security aide” to the former minister walked up to him and began interrogating him. He said he had to hurriedly leave the hotel premises.

The former minister, the reporter said, later called his editor in Daily Trust and demanded his sack.

The reporter said he regretted apologising to Mr Fani-Kayode over the incident.

“I am 53, he is not much older than me. I am not a child, I am an adult and I have children,” he said.

Daily Trust would be issuing a statement on the incident, PREMIUM TIMES learnt.

Judex Okoro, the Chairman of the Correspondents’ Chapel, Nigeria Union of Journalists, in Cross River state, said the journalists’ union was yet to meet over the incident.

Governor Ayade’s spokesperson, Mr Ita, however, told PREMIUM TIMES that what the Daily Trust reporter said to the former minister was not a question.

“The guy didn’t even ask a question. The guy said ‘even though you have not told us who is bankrolling your trips’.

“When he said that the man now erupted, he was very upset,” Mr Ita said. “I was trying to pacify both sides.”

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/410687-journalist-attacked-by-ex-minister-fani-kayode-speaks-on-ordeal.html

3 Likes

Re: Eyo Charles: Journalist Attacked By Fani-Kayode Speaks On Ordeal by Golan007: 7:21pm On Aug 25, 2020
What an excellent opportunity for the often boastful FFK to tell the world how he makes an income but alas, he blew it.

All FFK could say was that he's an ex minister.

I guess he means to say he has stolen quite a sum because we all know he's held no job for about 6 years now.

It is also well known in government circles that FFK is a corporate beggar.

He goes from governor to governor without a proposal but to laud them and sometimes sell them a pity story of how the federal government has been frustrating his business ideas.

One often wonders what those ideas are.

125 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Eyo Charles: Journalist Attacked By Fani-Kayode Speaks On Ordeal by fergie001: 7:27pm On Aug 25, 2020
Two wrongs don't make a right.

Fani is a public figure and even if that reporter's statement (not question) in itself is angering, he should have handled with tact.

He tells politicians worse and yet none pour such manner of invectives on him. Steps should be taken by both parties to sort themselves out.

They should be 'calming down' please.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Eyo Charles: Journalist Attacked By Fani-Kayode Speaks On Ordeal by JAMO84: 7:33pm On Aug 25, 2020
Tomorrow, NUJ will invite FFK to their annual general meeting in Lokoja.

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Eyo Charles: Journalist Attacked By Fani-Kayode Speaks On Ordeal by abc115: 7:34pm On Aug 25, 2020
Where are the PDP guys

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Eyo Charles: Journalist Attacked By Fani-Kayode Speaks On Ordeal by Cyberterror: 7:40pm On Aug 25, 2020
Lol. The reporter will never ask such embarrassing type of question again. FFK is well to do. He comes from a rich family though he does sniff cocaine at times grincheesy

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Eyo Charles: Journalist Attacked By Fani-Kayode Speaks On Ordeal by Timatayo1: 7:46pm On Aug 25, 2020
Fani kayode I love you but for this one you score f9

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Eyo Charles: Journalist Attacked By Fani-Kayode Speaks On Ordeal by Slawormir: 7:48pm On Aug 25, 2020
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright.... simple questions na im he dey threaten fire and brim stone

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Eyo Charles: Journalist Attacked By Fani-Kayode Speaks On Ordeal by ForeThinker: 7:48pm On Aug 25, 2020
If pain must come, may it come quickly. Because I have a life to live, and I need to live it in the best way possible. If he has to make a choice, may he make it now. Then I will either wait for him or forget him.

1 Like

Re: Eyo Charles: Journalist Attacked By Fani-Kayode Speaks On Ordeal by Coronavirus84: 7:48pm On Aug 25, 2020
Criminal hiding under the quest of nonsense question. Former Minister and a lawyer indeed. Oloriburuku somebody

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Eyo Charles: Journalist Attacked By Fani-Kayode Speaks On Ordeal by jericco1(m): 7:49pm On Aug 25, 2020
Well done sir! It is obvious that FFK is an over pompous and a condescending tout!
He thinks gallivanting from state state will make him relevant but NO!

At least the agbero will calm down for some time. Thanks again sir. cool

27 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Eyo Charles: Journalist Attacked By Fani-Kayode Speaks On Ordeal by Nobody: 7:49pm On Aug 25, 2020
Just one question brought about all these shalaye from ffk.Rich man that is going on acculturation tours to all da pdp governors.I just pity the journalist sha.His egungun jammed a brutal trailer.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eyo Charles: Journalist Attacked By Fani-Kayode Speaks On Ordeal by VIPERVENOM(m): 7:50pm On Aug 25, 2020
Simple question the man dey blow hot. After he'll be insulting Buhari up and down

16 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Eyo Charles: Journalist Attacked By Fani-Kayode Speaks On Ordeal by Charmingrascal(m): 7:50pm On Aug 25, 2020
The Journalist asked a very good question and they were suppose to even ask more.

1. Of what significant is Femi's inspection of Governors' projects?

2. Who was bankrolling all those trips and tours

3.Were the Governors spending State resources on hosting the intolerant bully of a Femi?

Many questions are to be asked.
One thing that I am happy about is the fact that Kayode exposed his hypocrisy in public glare.

He is an intolerant bully and I am waiting for dunderheaded characters that will come and defend him

72 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Eyo Charles: Journalist Attacked By Fani-Kayode Speaks On Ordeal by Olalan(m): 7:50pm On Aug 25, 2020
Quite unfortunate we live in a country every big man cant be questioned. Anybody who thinks the political class has an iota of respect for the common man in Nigeria is simply high on weed.

40 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Eyo Charles: Journalist Attacked By Fani-Kayode Speaks On Ordeal by MrOjay1(m): 7:50pm On Aug 25, 2020
Let's all join our hands in a round of applause as we welcome Evang.Righteousness89 to tell us the spiritual implication of this altercation.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Eyo Charles: Journalist Attacked By Fani-Kayode Speaks On Ordeal by Wiseandtrue(f): 7:50pm On Aug 25, 2020
joelbooks:

The other reporters appeared stupefied by the incident and did not ask Mr Fani-Kayode any further question. The minister suddenly stood up and left the room.

“I was disorganised” — Journalist

The Daily Trust reporter, Mr Charles, told PREMIUM TIMES that he was “more disorganised” and had to apologise to Mr Fani-Kayode when he heard other reporters told him right there that he should not have asked the question.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/410687-journalist-attacked-by-ex-minister-fani-kayode-speaks-on-ordeal.html
The other reporters are stupefied by Fani's action yet they condemned the question asked by Mr Charles grin grin grin

Fani belongs to a party and has been travelling to the states his party members/friends belong, did FG complain that he's using their money

Mr Charles just wanted to embarrass Fani Kayode but he got more than he bargained for!!!

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Eyo Charles: Journalist Attacked By Fani-Kayode Speaks On Ordeal by LibertyRep: 7:50pm On Aug 25, 2020
The journalists should worry more about his colleagues, who instead of showing comradery, decided to throw him under the bus.

You can imagine one of them saying "...you see you life"

Btw , what's wrong in asking someone who isn't an elected official and going about to inspect project to explain who is sponsoring his trip?

45 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Eyo Charles: Journalist Attacked By Fani-Kayode Speaks On Ordeal by Nadaken: 7:51pm On Aug 25, 2020
In USA they take conflict of interest questions seriously.

Ffk is not a government appointee neither an investor but assuming official roles for himself to inspect projects and hold conference

On whose behalf is he elected or appointed to do so?

On what interest and expense is this visit on?

Are taxpayers money in these states bank rolled on these visits?

30 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Eyo Charles: Journalist Attacked By Fani-Kayode Speaks On Ordeal by abc115: 7:51pm On Aug 25, 2020
The Journalist asked a very good hard question...that is often asked in developed world

50 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Eyo Charles: Journalist Attacked By Fani-Kayode Speaks On Ordeal by Emu4life(m): 7:51pm On Aug 25, 2020
FFK issa psychopath
You insult people recklessly, make crazy allegations yet couldn't take just a pinch of what you dish out to others. Just simple questions, the crackhead couldn't answer and was fuming. Little wonders Buhari completely ignored this Idiot. FVCKING HYPOCRITEgrin

31 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Eyo Charles: Journalist Attacked By Fani-Kayode Speaks On Ordeal by martineverest(m): 7:52pm On Aug 25, 2020
Cyberterror:
Lol. The reporter will never ask such embarrassing type of question again. FFK is well to do. He comes from a rich family though he does sniff cocaine at times grincheesy
justlook at the type of comment coming from a useless naija youth...no wonder your government use ur head

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Eyo Charles: Journalist Attacked By Fani-Kayode Speaks On Ordeal by Trimque2k1(m): 7:53pm On Aug 25, 2020
joelbooks:

But you guys will join govt asking boys how they got their money...
FFK nor well, guilty conscience na worry to talk anyhow to that reporter wey nor fit stand he ground.

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Eyo Charles: Journalist Attacked By Fani-Kayode Speaks On Ordeal by Afam4eva(m): 7:53pm On Aug 25, 2020
The question asked by the journalist was insulting and he deserved everything he got. If you want to grill a politician, do so with available information whether right or wrong so that they can react. You don't go asking someone who bankrolled his trip around the South south.

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Eyo Charles: Journalist Attacked By Fani-Kayode Speaks On Ordeal by Openbusiness: 7:53pm On Aug 25, 2020
grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Eyo Charles: Journalist Attacked By Fani-Kayode Speaks On Ordeal by tegrianonigltd(m): 7:54pm On Aug 25, 2020
Timatayo1:
Fani kayode I love you but for this one you score f9

It was a wrong question, in public, even you or me would get upset. Forget it, we are human.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Eyo Charles: Journalist Attacked By Fani-Kayode Speaks On Ordeal by edo3(m): 7:54pm On Aug 25, 2020
The journalist asked a stupid question really.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Gateman Rejects House Offer For Borehole In His Community In Jigawa / Ayu Replies Wike: I Didn’t Collect N1 Billion From Anyone, Leave My Family Alone / Photo: To Raise Sculptural Piece Of Jonathan In Otuoke As A Mark Of Hero

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.