Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,963 members, 7,832,251 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 04:31 PM

Video: President Nnamdi Azikiwe Speaking About Military President Aguiyi Iron - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Video: President Nnamdi Azikiwe Speaking About Military President Aguiyi Iron (2393 Views)

Diezani Vindicated As Kachikwu Upholds Her Policies – Clem Aguiyi / Rare Picture Of Head Of State Maj.gen Aguiyi Ironsi In Kano / The Truth Behind General Aguiyi- Ironsi’s Crocodile Swagger Stick (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Video: President Nnamdi Azikiwe Speaking About Military President Aguiyi Iron by smile4kenn(m): 11:17pm On Feb 18, 2011
[flash=500,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrNGHehpGhU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="349"></embed></object>[/flash]

1 Like

Re: Video: President Nnamdi Azikiwe Speaking About Military President Aguiyi Iron by EzeUche2(m): 2:31am On Feb 19, 2011
He was truly a erudite.

1 Like

Re: Video: President Nnamdi Azikiwe Speaking About Military President Aguiyi Iron by Becomrichn: 3:22am On Feb 19, 2011
It only show that Azikiwe supported the overthrow of his government.

If someone overthrown your government as president, you would be shouting for his head.  So i can see why they claim , it is an igbo coup of 1966.

To correct listener, the cabinet did not agree with the transfer of power to the military. Nwafor Orizu the acting president was an igboman. he was the one who gave over power to another igbo man who headed the army at the time. This is why they called it an igbo coup.
Nwafor Orizu an igbo refused to transfer power to a northerner who became our acting Prime Minister called  Zanna Bukar Dipcharima from borno state a kanuri. who was suppose to become the prime minister. appointed by majority.
Nwafor Orizu an igbo man and other igbos wanted Dr. Mbadiwe’s another igboman, when they did not get thier way. Nwafor Orizu hand govt to a military man who was igbo. This later lead to a military by northerners who lead to a civil war.

This is the true account of the event.  Not the way Azikiwe told the story.  shehu shagari, richard akinjide,Alhaji Maitama Sule, and others are still alive and they were members of the cabinet.
Re: Video: President Nnamdi Azikiwe Speaking About Military President Aguiyi Iron by Becomrichn: 3:59am On Feb 19, 2011
It show be on record that Major Ifeajuna, who lead the coup was said to be a  cousin to Nnamdi Azikiwe. They claim they had blood relation.
Re: Video: President Nnamdi Azikiwe Speaking About Military President Aguiyi Iron by naijaking1: 4:26am On Feb 19, 2011
^^^
I thought Nzeogwu was said to be leader of the coup, some even say Ademoyegan.
What is it in the video that convinced you that Zik supported the overthrow of his own government? I guess, because he wasn't crying and hitting his head on the table?
Re: Video: President Nnamdi Azikiwe Speaking About Military President Aguiyi Iron by Becomrichn: 6:42am On Feb 19, 2011
sorry, but Major Ifeajuna was one of the 5 major who plan the coup.

what made me agree azikiwe was supporting the coup that remove his government from power. when the reporter ask him if he support britain sending troope. the look on his face and the reply that if britain did not send to  rhodesia. britain would not send to nigeria. he was defending ironsi igbo goverment and the action of Nwafor Orizu igbo.

young man, azikiwe knew about the coup. if someone remove you as president, you are not expected to support his government, that is what azikiwe did.

ojukwu did not know about the coup according to history. ojukwu remain in the north on the day of the coup.

olusegun obasanjo was kaduna Nzeogwu best friend. and Nzeogwu never told obasanjo about the coup.

i may be the wrong person to talk about azikiwe, because i never liked him because he betrayed the igbo people during biafra and did not support ojukwu. he was a self seeking man.
Re: Video: President Nnamdi Azikiwe Speaking About Military President Aguiyi Iron by Dede1(m): 1:26pm On Feb 19, 2011
Becomrichn:

It only show that Azikiwe supported the overthrow of the government.

If someone overthrown your government as president, you would be shouting for his head. So i can see why they claim , it is an igbo coup of 1966.

To correct listener, the cabinet did not agree with the transfer of power to the military. Nwafor Orizu the acting president was an igboman. he was the one who gave over power to another igbo man who headed the army at the time. This is why they called it an igbo coup.
Nwafor Orizu an igbo refused to transfer power to a northerner who became our acting Prime Minister called Zanna Bukar Dipcharima from borno state a kanuri. who was suppose to become the premier minister. appointed by majority.
Nwafor Orizu an igbo man and other igbos wanted Dr. Mbadiwe’s another igboman, when they did not get thier way. Nwafor Orizu hand govt to a military man who was igbo. This later lead to a military by northerners who lead to a civil war.

This is the true account of the event. Not the way Azikiwe told the story. shehu shagari, richard akinjide,Alhaji Maitama Sule, and others are still alive and they were members of the cabinet.

The bolded is crass uneducated statement. Nigeria, during the era in discuss, does not have position of Acting Prime Minister. You should stop standing truth on its head with your load of ethnical bias. Besides, Zana Dipcharima was not a junior minister. In the other, K O Mbadiwe was a ranking minister and would have been the Deputy Minister if such position had existed.
Re: Video: President Nnamdi Azikiwe Speaking About Military President Aguiyi Iron by Becomrichn: 1:57pm On Feb 19, 2011
zik must have assume ojukwu would hand over to him, that why he never liked ojukwu.
Re: Video: President Nnamdi Azikiwe Speaking About Military President Aguiyi Iron by Becomrichn: 2:13pm On Feb 19, 2011
you are funny dede, how can majority decided to make Zanna Bukar Dipcharima  prime minister and one acting president say NO.
that is not fair to the north. look even some yorubas were part of the decision to pick Zanna Bukar Dipcharima  to replace balewa.

you are only showing the same arguement that it was an igbo coup.
zik was part of the people would agree that ojukwu should declear biafra because he assume, he would end up president.

if zik was working for everybody, the event of biafra when he was against ojukwu and biafra people. show clearly that azikiwe was clearly only self seeking all his life and he never worked for the igbo people.

do you think shehu shagari and Alhaji Maitama Sule would agree to hand over to a military igboman. NOway. shagari may be a quiet man. Alhaji Maitama Sule have never been a quiet man all his life. Alhaji Maitama Sule is what we call a radical of the north. he only became a stateman when he got older my friend. all the time i know him. he was a pro north radical. it is old age that turn him to a stateman. and even if everybody agreed at that time Alhaji Maitama Sule would never had agree.

i am telling you. they never agree to hand over power to the military but to make  Zanna Bukar Dipcharima the prime minister.

1 Like

Re: Video: President Nnamdi Azikiwe Speaking About Military President Aguiyi Iron by Becomrichn: 2:24pm On Feb 19, 2011
dede, there is no ranking in politics, i can become president, even if someone else have been in politics all his life. politics is not the military.  you are funny, there is no ranking in politics. i can become president before tinubu. politics has no ranking.
are you a military man. if there was ranking balewa would never have been prime minister, even Zanna Bukar Dipcharima would have been ranked above balewa.

ranking ko, ranking ni.
Re: Video: President Nnamdi Azikiwe Speaking About Military President Aguiyi Iron by Dede1(m): 3:01pm On Feb 19, 2011
Becomrichn:

you are funny dede, how can majority decided to make Zanna Bukar Dipcharima prime minister and one acting president say NO.
that is not fair to the north. look even some yorubas were part of the decision to pick Zanna Bukar Dipcharima to replace balewa.

you are only showing the same arguement that it was an igbo coup.
zik was part of the people would agree that ojukwu should declear biafra because he assume, he would end up president.

if zik was working for everybody, the event of biafra when he was against ojukwu and biafra people. show clearly that azikiwe was clearly only self seeking all his life and he never worked for the igbo people.

do you think shehu shagari and Alhaji Maitama Sule would agree to hand over to a military igboman. NOway. shagari may be a quiet man. Alhaji Maitama Sule have never been a quiet man all his life. Alhaji Maitama Sule is what we will call a radical of the north. he only became a stateman when he got older my friend. all the time i know him. he was a pro north radical. it is old age that turn him to a stateman. and even if everybody agreed at that time Alhaji Maitama Sule would never had agree.

i am telling you. they never agree to hand over power to the military but to make Zanna Bukar Dipcharima the prime minister.

In 1966 Nigeria’s parliamentary system, there was no majority party. However, NPC won more seats than NCNC or AG. If NCNC and AG had formed a government, NPC would have been in minority hence opposition party. The government of the day was not based on fictitious population numbers but number of seats in the parliament.

1 Like

Re: Video: President Nnamdi Azikiwe Speaking About Military President Aguiyi Iron by Dede1(m): 3:02pm On Feb 19, 2011
Becomrichn:

dede, there is no ranking in politics, i can become president, even if someone else have been in politics all his life. politics is not the military.  you are funny, there is no ranking in politics. i can become president before tinubu. politics has no ranking.
are you a military man. if there was ranking balewa would never been prime minister, even Zanna Bukar Dipcharima would have been ranked above balewa.

ranking ko, ranking ni.

Pal, I suggest you spend little time in studying the type of government and the political arrangement that prevailed in Nigeria during era in discuss. Why should I worry about what Shehu Shagari or Alhaji Maitama Sule thought about hand-over of government to Ironsi? Both men were completely insignificant in the matters that transpired during the handover.

Zanna Bukar Dipcharima was another propaganda product of western regional government publications of 1966/67. He was not even an original member of NPC. He stated his political career as NCNC and switched to NPC on tribal grounds. There was no way turncoat will amount to anything.

Again, in parliamentary system of government especially when a single party can not win outright majority during election, government are formed strictly on coalition agreements. Of course, there were rankings in parliamentary system where you have backbenchers and junior ministers.

In such coalition agreement, the coalition partner that produced PM can not as well produce the ranking minister who deputizes for PM. Please, read up unadulterated political systems.
Re: Video: President Nnamdi Azikiwe Speaking About Military President Aguiyi Iron by Becomrichn: 3:12pm On Feb 19, 2011
dede, there were more northerners in that cabinet than igbo,so do you think that cabinet which had more northerners would agree to hand over power to the military.  NO. if you know nigeria well. azikiwe and others were telling a lie. look at his face while answering the question it is obvious to see, he was telling a lie.

everybody who was in that cabinet has nearly said, no sure decision was taken to hand over to the military. even richard akinjide is alife , go and ask him.

i am a yoruba, and i would not be defending the northerners, if the northerner were not right.  but i would not do anything against my heart and what is right , it was agreed to replace balewa, that decision had yorubas in it to make Zanna Bukar Dipcharima the prime minister. and all the yorubas involve said that was the decision they all took. to make Zanna Bukar Dipcharima the prime minister.
Re: Video: President Nnamdi Azikiwe Speaking About Military President Aguiyi Iron by Dede1(m): 3:56pm On Feb 19, 2011
Becomrichn:

dede, there were more northerners in that cabinet than igbo,so do you think that cabinet which had more northerners would agree to hand over power to the military.  NO. if you know nigeria well. azikiwe and others were telling a lie. look at his face while answering the question it is obvious to see, he was telling a lie.

everybody who was in that cabinet has nearly said, no sure decision was taken to hand over to the military. even richard akinjide is alife , go and ask him.

i am a yoruba, and i would not be defending the northerners, if the northerner were not right.  but i would not do anything against my heart and what is right , it was agreed to replace balewa, that decision had yorubas in it to make Zanna Bukar Dipcharima the prime minister. and all the yorubas involve said that was the decision they all took. to make Zanna Bukar Dipcharima the prime minister.

When did northern region equate to Igbo? And when did Yoruba participation in any crap amount to authenticity? What has been majority in ministerial cabinet got to do with the position of PM? The position of PM has and will always be decided by combined caucus of the parties in the coalition government. If the caucus fails to agree unanimously on particular candidate, there will be withdrawal and resubmission of fresh candidates from the coalition partners or there will no government.
Re: Video: President Nnamdi Azikiwe Speaking About Military President Aguiyi Iron by Becomrichn: 4:22pm On Feb 19, 2011
gf
Re: Video: President Nnamdi Azikiwe Speaking About Military President Aguiyi Iron by Becomrichn: 4:34pm On Feb 19, 2011
jean chretien was replace by paul martin. both members of the same party.
Re: Video: President Nnamdi Azikiwe Speaking About Military President Aguiyi Iron by Nchara: 4:45pm On Feb 19, 2011
Anya m odi go mma? Lol! Zik was asking the camera man if he was well adjusted for the camera.
Re: Video: President Nnamdi Azikiwe Speaking About Military President Aguiyi Iron by Ikengawo: 7:14pm On Feb 19, 2011
the major players of the 1st republic, as well as the common citizens were so articulate and intelligent when they spoke.

nowadays nigerians speak english just to show off, so you hear all these disgusting fake oyigbo 'accents' where the nigerian thinks he's sounding white but to everyone else he just sound like a nigerian trying to talk out of his nose. It just sounds like you didn't go to school, but you can't tell them that cause they're stubborn and ignorant.

the older generations had a natural charisma to the way they spoke. Some good examples are Tafewa, Pete Edochie, and Olu Jacobs. Nigerians are the only people in the world in this day and age with a 'fake' accent. smh.
Re: Video: President Nnamdi Azikiwe Speaking About Military President Aguiyi Iron by Ikengawo: 7:16pm On Feb 19, 2011
it's also a major sign of the total collapse in education standards in nigeria
Re: Video: President Nnamdi Azikiwe Speaking About Military President Aguiyi Iron by Obiagu1(m): 7:22pm On Feb 19, 2011
Ikengawo:

the major players of the 1st republic, as well as the common citizens were so articulate and intelligent when they spoke.

nowadays nigerians speak english just to show off, so you hear all these disgusting fake oyigbo 'accents' where the nigerian thinks he's sounding white but to everyone else he just sound like a nigerian trying to talk out of his nose. It just sounds like you didn't go to school, but you can't tell them that cause they're stubborn and ignorant.

the older generations had a natural charisma to the way they spoke. Some good examples are Tafewa, Pete Edochie, and Olu Jacobs. Nigerians are the only people in the world in this day and age with a 'fake' accent. smh.

What is fake accent?
There's nothing like fake accent. If you lived in the US or Britain, there's no way your accent would not be affected. Everyone suffers from it be it Nigerian, Chinese, Indian etc; it is general.

Have you heard Tafewa Balewa spoke? Tell me if he spoke with 'Nigerian' accent.

Say what you know and leave what you don't know.
Re: Video: President Nnamdi Azikiwe Speaking About Military President Aguiyi Iron by Ikengawo: 7:30pm On Feb 19, 2011
What is fake accent?
There's nothing like fake accent. If you lived in the US or Britain, there's no way your accent would not be affected. Everyone suffers from it be it Nigerian, Chinese, Indian etc; it is general.

Have you heard Tafewa Balewa spoke? Tell me if he spoke with 'Nigerian' accent.

Say what you know and leave out what you don't kno
you can't say 'what fake accent'

try

Jim Iyke
half of nollywood,
a lot of nigerians you meet in diaspora

its not a matter of being effected. it's a matter of pretending its been effected before it has actually been effected and talking in an obnoxious fake nasal high pitched voice. Usually it's nigerians that haven't gone to school.

I heard Balewa spoke, he had more of a british accent, but Azikiwe has a nigerian accent and sounds equally articulate because he's not trying to plug his nose and talk like an african mouse.

Pete Edochie
Olu Jacobs,
Malam Sanusi all guys that don't have a lack of education destroying their natural charismatic and rhythmic nigerian accents.

nigerians think that having an accent makes you inarticulate. It's not true, being inarticulate makes you inarticulate.
Re: Video: President Nnamdi Azikiwe Speaking About Military President Aguiyi Iron by Obiagu1(m): 7:42pm On Feb 19, 2011
A change in accent comes about without you knowing it.

Whenever I talk to a family member, the first thing they say is that my accent has changed and I barely know it. I have to make extra effort these days to speak the way I spoke years back but does that worth it?

Those nollywood actors and actresses only try to pronounce words appropriately unlike our silly 'com' instead of 'cu.m' or 'doct'or' instead of 'docta'. And by the way, who among them has a  nasal accent?
Re: Video: President Nnamdi Azikiwe Speaking About Military President Aguiyi Iron by Becomrichn: 1:57am On Feb 20, 2011
Obiagu1  what do you mean. our accent get affected if we lived abroad for long time. I once saw an ogbomosho man, who had yoruba tribal mark and when he was backing me, i assume he was white. when i saw his face. i discovered, he is yoruba.

You can loss your accent with time and depending on who your friends are. if your friends are mostly white. you would loss your accent fast.  it takes may be 4 to 5 years to get rig of accent. it would be there. but it would take a nake ear to get it.

It depend on the age you come abroad. if you come at a young age. you loss it. but if you come above 30 years old. you cant loss the nigeria accent

most important thing is to have white friend and you loss it.   In the USA , nigerian dont loss accent, because even black american have accent,  so most nigerian dont loss it. but there are many accent even in the usa. the way you talk people can tell if you are from new york or lA
Re: Video: President Nnamdi Azikiwe Speaking About Military President Aguiyi Iron by nwabobo: 4:00am On Feb 20, 2011
Obiagu1:

A change in accent comes about without you knowing it.

Whenever I talk to a family member, the first thing they say is that my accent has changed and I barely know it. I have to make extra effort these days to speak the way I spoke years back but does that worth it?

Those nollywood actors and actresses only try to pronounce words appropriately unlike our silly 'com' instead of 'cu.m' or 'doct'or' instead of 'docta'. And by the way, who among them has a  nasal accent?

Hope you know the bolded above r American and not British.
Re: Video: President Nnamdi Azikiwe Speaking About Military President Aguiyi Iron by Becomrichn: 6:47am On Feb 20, 2011
it is not possible for people in nollywood to loss thier accent because they are already old. the only thing is they can do is speak good english. which most of them, do not speak good english.

nollywood has not produce world class movies except for kilani movies.  it is possible to produce africa movies that can sell $1 billion in the box office. but you need educated people to be in that movies that is what nollywood does not have. most film actors should go back to school.

the issue is not thier accent but the way the film are made and market. i dont watch much. but some have talent. but some dont. the way you shoot the film matter. and they need to be shoot very well. with the story line unique.  all actor has to go for english class and speak class.
one problem nollywood have is that alot of them are igbo actors would have strong igbo accent. they can see the way zik is talking. what the igbo actors need to do is talk slow. igbo people term to talk very fast,even thier english.

so if the actor want to say people, should imagine and draw the word as   p e o p l e. this way people would understand them better. if you speak fast, they would not understand what you are saying. white people speak slow. nigerian speak fast.

another issue is this is a different society from nigeria. to make a worldclass nollywood movie, that person most have both side of the world. have lived in nigeria and abroad.
Re: Video: President Nnamdi Azikiwe Speaking About Military President Aguiyi Iron by ektbear: 6:33am On Jun 16, 2011
t
Re: Video: President Nnamdi Azikiwe Speaking About Military President Aguiyi Iron by Nobody: 2:14pm On Jun 16, 2011
Please enough now! haba.
Are not tired of all this?
Why cant we split Nigeria in peace?

E jikwa m, ogu o!

(1) (Reply)

Do You Support A North/South Referendum? / Okorocha:Abandoned Projects Stalled The Presentation of 2014 Budget in Imo State / The Fraud Called Goodluck Ebele Jonathan And PDP: Wole Soyinka

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.