Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,954 members, 7,817,797 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:55 PM

A Case For Thailand - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / A Case For Thailand (9308 Views)

US BAN: Fareed Zakaria Makes Case For Nigeria On GPS Morning / NDLEA Certificate For Thailand Tourist Visa / Clearance Certificate For Thailand Visa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Case For Thailand by Venquire: 6:48pm On Aug 27, 2020
Pabloescobar1:

I got here 2013
Actually my first experience interacting with the locals was on the very first day I got there when a young lady came up to me asking if I spoke Thai then proceeded to ask for a selfie.
Many are very open minded to black folks while some due to the negative stereotype of black people from western media are skeptical until they get to know you personally. Overall, I will tell you they are widely accepting people and you should try to learn about the culture so as to fit in better.
There are a few number of great universities you can apply to like Thammsat university, Bangkok university, Rangsit university, Assumption university etc. Just to mention a few. Just do your homework online researching the cost of the degree you will like to apply for, and you should be all good.

Spot on. You hit the nail on the head. Thanks.

Are you very fluent in Thai?

What cultural shock did you experience?

What's the standard of living like?

Job opportunities et al
Re: A Case For Thailand by Richdee1(m): 8:27pm On Aug 27, 2020
Jaycew NiklauseFred subomi007 danny6552 skylane lamboladee MidEastPrince Bosses make una con follow me enjoy this one Hadampson

4 Likes

Re: A Case For Thailand by Nobody: 8:43pm On Aug 27, 2020
Richdee1:
Jaycew NiklauseFred subomi007 danny6552 skylane lamboladee MidEastPrince
Bosses make una con follow me enjoy this one
Hadampson

we done land

1 Like

Re: A Case For Thailand by NiklauseFred(m): 8:45pm On Aug 27, 2020
Richdee1:
Hadampson

Spreads mat and grabs popcorn.
Baba thanks for the mention. cheesy

1 Like

Re: A Case For Thailand by Jaycew(f): 8:48pm On Aug 27, 2020
Richdee1:
Hadampson
Thank you

Maize621

1 Like

Re: A Case For Thailand by Pabloescobar1: 9:02pm On Aug 27, 2020
Venquire:

Spot on. You hit the nail on the head. Thanks.

Are you very fluent in Thai?

What cultural shock did you experience?

What's the standard of living like?

Job opportunities et al

I have learnt enough Thai to get by on a day to day basis. People here love when you take the effort to learn their language, it makes life a lot easier for you. I would say I'm about a year away from fluency.

Biggest cultural shock will be the ladyboy phenomenon (basically transexuals), coming from Nigeria that was a complete shock to me that there were a lot of them around here. But then again they are accepted by the society and everyone just try to get along without judging each other.

The standard of living is pretty decent, here you don't have to go to the extreme to live comfortably coupled with a low cost of living.
I usually suggest if you are going to live comfortably you will need to rent a room in a condominium as opposed to regular apartments( trust me this is the safest choice for Nigerians as it's offers privacy and security). An average condominium will cost up to 8500 baht monthly (around 90,000 naira) included with internet (unlimited) and electricity bills. If you are a student you have the option of living on campus at a very low cost but you will probably have to share space with a roommate.

Feeding for a single man who can cook well and occasionally eat outside shouldn't be more than 25,000 naira monthly... Infact food here is the cheapest I have seen in the world.
Things like transportation are relatively cheap if you know how to navigate around town with the sky train, underground train,meter taxis, and buses.

The major job opportunity as a Nigerian will be teaching jobs. Many Nigerians are into buying of different goods at a cheaper price in Thailand and selling it anywhere in the world. If you have professional experience, you might be lucky to be employed by multinational companies stationed in Thailand. And lest I forget, athletes are highly respected here, so if you are good at any sport chances are you are two times better than any local option available in the sport.

6 Likes

Re: A Case For Thailand by Pabloescobar1: 9:08pm On Aug 27, 2020
For the foodies here,

8 Likes

Re: A Case For Thailand by Pabloescobar1: 9:31pm On Aug 27, 2020
More pics on the road..

6 Likes

Re: A Case For Thailand by Maize621: 10:51pm On Aug 27, 2020
Yo I’m here, thanks for the mention grin

Jaycew:

Thank you

Maize621
Re: A Case For Thailand by Joohan: 11:00pm On Aug 27, 2020
Pabloescobar1:

I have learnt enough Thai to get by on a day to day basis. People here love when you take the effort to learn their language, it makes life a lot easier for you. I would say I'm about a year away from fluency.

Biggest cultural shock will be the ladyboy phenomenon (basically transexuals), coming from Nigeria that was a complete shock to me that there were a lot of them around here. But then again they are accepted by the society and everyone just try to get along without judging each other.

The standard of living is pretty decent, here you don't have to go to the extreme to live comfortably coupled with a low cost of living.
I usually suggest if you are going to live comfortably you will need to rent a room in a condominium as opposed to regular apartments( trust me this is the safest choice for Nigerians as it's offers privacy and security). An average condominium will cost up to 8500 baht monthly (around 90,000 naira) included with internet (unlimited) and electricity bills. If you are a student you have the option of living on campus at a very low cost but you will probably have to share space with a roommate.

Feeding for a single man who can cook well and occasionally eat outside shouldn't be more than 25,000 naira monthly... Infact food here is the cheapest I have seen in the world.
Things like transportation are relatively cheap if you know how to navigate around town with the sky train, underground train,meter taxis, and buses.

The major job opportunity as a Nigerian will be teaching jobs. Many Nigerians are into buying of different goods at a cheaper price in Thailand and selling it anywhere in the world. If you have professional experience, you might be lucky to be employed by multinational companies stationed in Thailand. And lest I forget, athletes are highly respected here, so if you are good at any sport chances are you are two times better than any local option available in the sport.

For the teaching jobs, do you know the requirements and how much they pay per hr/week.
Re: A Case For Thailand by Pabloescobar1: 11:21pm On Aug 27, 2020
Joohan:

For the teaching jobs, do you know the requirements and how much they pay per hr/week.

Many schools will require a teaching certificate (but that also means your pay will be higher), but you can easily get jobs in some places with little to no experience teaching as long as you are able to show them what you can offer.

As for the pay it really depends on factors such as experience, qualifications, abilities, hardwork, kind of school.... But as a novice you can expect to start with something around 25,000 baht monthly (270000 naira). After sometime you can expect to earn up to 35000 to 40000 baht monthly (370000 to 420000 naira). Some good paying schools go from 50k baht to 70k baht ( but that's mostly for people considered native speakers of English). But pay overall depends on your ability to negotiate, if you are too eager to accept any offer you might end up being short changed.

3 Likes

Re: A Case For Thailand by Joohan: 8:01am On Aug 28, 2020
Pabloescobar1:

Many schools will require a teaching certificate (but that also means your pay will be higher), but you can easily get jobs in some places with little to no experience teaching as long as you are able to show them what you can offer.

As for the pay it really depends on factors such as experience, qualifications, abilities, hardwork, kind of school.... But as a novice you can expect to start with something around 25,000 baht monthly (270000 naira). After sometime you can expect to earn up to 35000 to 40000 baht monthly (370000 to 420000 naira). Some good paying schools go from 50k baht to 70k baht ( but that's mostly for people considered native speakers of English). But pay overall depends on your ability to negotiate, if you are too eager to accept any offer you might end up being short changed.

I have a degree and a an English teaching certificate (TESOL). Am I going to apply for a work visa or visiting visa. What should be my budget when I'm ready to come over. Thanks for the prompt response
Re: A Case For Thailand by Cityboyy: 8:36am On Aug 28, 2020
How can I get information about Thailand student visa? Pls can someone refer me to a thread or link? Are the courses in English?
Re: A Case For Thailand by Cityboyy: 8:38am On Aug 28, 2020
Pabloescobar1:

Hmm interesting. I saw something about the lady boys on Instagram. Thailand seems to be popular for that
Re: A Case For Thailand by Subomi007: 11:46am On Aug 28, 2020
Richdee1:
Hadampson

Thank you baba, I don stay glue, @Hadampson I'm expecting to hear from you.
Re: A Case For Thailand by Pabloescobar1: 1:17pm On Aug 28, 2020
Joohan:

I have a degree and a an English teaching certificate (TESOL). Am I going to apply for a work visa or visiting visa. What should be my budget when I'm ready to come over. Thanks for the prompt response

I would say you are at an advantage when it comes to teaching jobs here but getting employment here while currently residing in Nigeria is extremely rare. I would suggest you apply for a visiting visa and look for opportunities here within the 3 months period, but you should have a mind of steel and that naija spirit.

As for budget it might be on the costly side of things given our economy in Nigeria but around 350k for flight, due to the Covid 19 pandemic you might have to self quarantine in a hotel for a period of 14 days ( that's an additional expenses), as regards apartment,you will have to sort yourself out on that, expect to spend nothing less than 50k a month. So all in all, I will say prepare anything up to 2 million naira in hand
Re: A Case For Thailand by Pabloescobar1: 1:21pm On Aug 28, 2020
Cityboyy:
How can I get information about Thailand student visa? Pls can someone refer me to a thread or link? Are the courses in English?

I have provided some schooling options in a previous comment, the best research is the one you can do yourself with information available on the sites of these schools and also on the Thai embassy website. All courses for international students are offered in English.

2 Likes

Re: A Case For Thailand by themaestro08(m): 3:30pm On Aug 28, 2020
Great thread! Op how safe is Thailand? And i read somewhere that their red light district is in a league of its own, to the point some tourist come specifically for that purpose, please shed more light.
Re: A Case For Thailand by Joohan: 4:21pm On Aug 28, 2020
Pabloescobar1:

I would say you are at an advantage when it comes to teaching jobs here but getting employment here while currently residing in Nigeria is extremely rare. I would suggest you apply for a visiting visa and look for opportunities here within the 3 months period, but you should have a mind of steel and that naija spirit.

As for budget it might be on the costly side of things given our economy in Nigeria but around 350k for flight, due to the Covid 19 pandemic you might have to self quarantine in a hotel for a period of 14 days ( that's an additional expenses), as regards apartment,you will have to sort yourself out on that, expect to spend nothing less than 50k a month. So all in all, I will say prepare anything up to 2 million naira in hand

OP, coming in with visit visa and look for job? Does countries still issue visit visas to Nigerians and what if the visa expires before getting a job.

Can't I just apply for a work visa to avoid story that touch. Secondly, There's this stigma of tagging Nigerians as criminals in Asian countries. Hope that is not rampant over there?

Secondly, I searched for the Thai Embassy, but I don't think it's still in operation. Do they have embassies here in West Africa?
Re: A Case For Thailand by Cityboyy: 5:06pm On Aug 28, 2020
themaestro08:
Great thread! Op how safe is Thailand? And i read somewhere that their red light district is in a league of its own, to the point some tourist come specifically for that purpose, please shed more light.

OP beware of this guy. He is on every travel thread and anywhere he goes, trouble follows. This is how he starts by pretending to be interested then he starts to cause havoc. Don’t fall for it.

4 Likes

Re: A Case For Thailand by themaestro08(m): 5:59pm On Aug 28, 2020
Cityboyy:

OP beware of this guy. He is on every travel thread and anywhere he goes, trouble follows. This is how he starts by pretending to be interested then he starts to cause havoc. Don’t fall for it.

You are a fuvking clown grin grin
Re: A Case For Thailand by Pabloescobar1: 7:38pm On Aug 28, 2020
The downside to living in Thailand is that my favorite pastime (Football matches) come up very late into the night but at least that gives you an excuse to go to the bar and enjoy a good time while watching football games.
As long as you are not involved in any illegal and shady business, you have no reason to be fearful of the police. Majority of my encounters with the police have been very pleasant (key is to respect yourself). I would wake up like 2am pop into the nearest 7/11 to buy myself a few snacks, if I like I could work out in the gym at that time as there are way less people in the gym, overall you can move at anytime without getting harassed or hassled by anyone.
Reputation of course precedes Nigerians wherever we go, so don't be surprised if a few folks make negative assumptions about you, cos if I no go lie anyone here guys don misbehave well well for this place. Thankfully many of our people are proving those negative stereotypes wrong.

1 Like

Re: A Case For Thailand by Pabloescobar1: 7:43pm On Aug 28, 2020
Joohan:

OP, coming in with visit visa and look for job? Does countries still issue visit visas to Nigerians and what if the visa expires before getting a job.

Can't I just apply for a work visa to avoid story that touch. Secondly, There's this stigma of tagging Nigerians as criminals in Asian countries. Hope that is not rampant over there?

Secondly, I searched for the Thai Embassy, but I don't think it's still in operation. Do they have embassies here in West Africa?

I have seen people do that. But the surest option is the education route (I can't stress it enough: make sure you can support yourself for a while). Applying directly for a work visa would imply you have been offered a job (and as I have stated rarely happens to foreigners outside of Thailand). Unless Buhari decides to demolish the building tomorrow, the Thai embassy is still very much in Abuja (infact other west Africans come there to apply). Like I stated from the beginning of this forum, I just want to make this about my experience not about visa application and requirements.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Case For Thailand by Joohan: 10:13pm On Aug 28, 2020
Pabloescobar1:

I have seen people do that. But the surest option is the education route (I can't stress it enough: make sure you can support yourself for a while). Applying directly for a work visa would imply you have been offered a job (and as I have stated rarely happens to foreigners outside of Thailand). Unless Buhari decides to demolish the building tomorrow, the Thai embassy is still very much in Abuja (infact other west Africans come there to apply). Like I stated from the beginning of this forum, I just want to make this about my experience not about visa application and requirements.

I'm sorry, chief. Thanks for the response
Re: A Case For Thailand by YoungDaNaval(m): 7:36am On Aug 29, 2020
themaestro08:
Ashawo man grin
Re: A Case For Thailand by skylane: 11:27am On Aug 29, 2020
Richdee1:
Hadampson
thanks baba I don show like this

1 Like

Re: A Case For Thailand by Hadampson(m): 7:06am On Sep 06, 2020
Richdee1:
Hadampson

Thanks for the everyday mention bro smiley
I wouldn't have known if there was a new travel dairy if not for you cos I haven't been stable on nairaland for some weeks now

1 Like

Re: A Case For Thailand by Cutealexio(m): 9:40am On Sep 06, 2020
Thailand is a nice place, I have been there twice on visit visa. I didn't tour Bangkok... spent my time in Pattaya and Koh lan. Planning to go again but this time to Phuket
Re: A Case For Thailand by Richdee1(m): 10:45am On Sep 06, 2020
Hadampson:

Thanks for the everyday mention bro smiley
I wouldn't have known if there was a new travel dairy if not for you cos I haven't been stable on nairaland for some weeks now

Yea I noticed it.. Hope all have been going in fine??
Re: A Case For Thailand by Hadampson(m): 11:10am On Sep 06, 2020
Richdee1:

Yea I noticed it.. Hope all have been going in fine??

Yeah bro
I'm getting myself equipped with some skills before leaving Nigeria, that's why I haven't been stable on nairaland.
Re: A Case For Thailand by Nobody: 12:19pm On Sep 06, 2020
Hadampson:

Yeah bro
I'm getting myself equipped with some skills before leaving Nigeria, that's why I haven't been stable on nairaland.
baba hwfa .. abeg reply my pm
Re: A Case For Thailand by Glite2018: 8:13am On Sep 30, 2020
Talking of biz what biz can one do over there

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FAAN Suspends Four Over Security Breach At Lagos Airport / International Passport In Port Harcourt / The Other Side Of Life In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.