Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,985 members, 7,825,066 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 04:26 AM

An In-depth Look At Gpus, The Companies That Make Gpus And Their Rankings - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / An In-depth Look At Gpus, The Companies That Make Gpus And Their Rankings (2193 Views)

Tecno Pova 6 Pro 5g Review: An In-depth Look At The All-around Smartphone / Companies that mocked Apple for removing the charger, will do the same now / 5 Ways You Answer Phone Call In Public That Make You Look Local (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

An In-depth Look At Gpus, The Companies That Make Gpus And Their Rankings by atheistandproud(m): 4:32pm On Aug 26, 2020
As you boot up your phone and that cool looking animation boot up logo comes up, do you ever wonder what is responsible? Have you ever thought about why some phones can play certain games like PUBG or PES on high settings and yours can’t? Have you tried to download a game from Play store and the system said “not compatible”. Well look no further, the answer is GPU. Every picture, graphic, video, game or image on your screen is rendered by a part of the SoC called a GPU.

A Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) is a specialized electronic circuit designed to rapidly manipulate and alter memory to accelerate the creation of images in a frame buffer intended for output to a display (Wikipedia). In simpler terms, the mobile GPU is a dedicated co-processor designed to render graphics on apps, user interfaces as well as 3D content on your smartphones, wearables and IoT devices.

MOBILE GPU MANUFACTURERS

A GPU is a part of the SoC for smartphones. It works alongside the processor cores to render the graphics that appear on the screen. This is especially important when playing video games or watch high quality videos online. The rise of high definition online games like PUBG, PES, Fortnite, Call of Duty etc. has led a lot of smartphone users to be more conscious of whatever GPU is paired with the SoC on their phones.

The following GPUs are used for smartphones.
1. Adreno (Qualcomm)
2. Apple GPU (Apple)
3. Mali (ARM)
4. Power VR (Imagination technologies)
5. Tegra (Nvidia)
6. Videocore
7. Vivante

Mali is made by ARM, it is the most popular GPU in use for Android SoCs. It is used in Mediatek, Exynos, Kirin and Unisoc SoCs. Mali produces the older T series and the newer G series of GPUs. It is responsible for rendering graphics for a lot of phones. Mali GPUs are cheap, have a high clock speeds but tends to overheat. Mali chips with a high number of shader cores tend to do very well. They are usually signified by the number written in front to the MP. For example, the Mali G76 MP16 has 16 shader cores and it performs better than the Mali G76 MP10.

Adreno is designed by Qualcomm, they are only paired Snapdragon SoCs. Adreno has a larger API (for software development), they have low clock spreeds, more shader cores and are less likely to overheat. Qualcomm do not signify the number of cores used on their GPUs.

Apple initially used Power VR GPUs but later started producing their own Apple GPU. This is the GPU that powers all iPhones from iPhone 8 and above.

PowerVR by Imagination Technologies is also very popular in smartphones. It was used in the original iPhone all the way to iPhone 7 before being discontinued. They can be found in low end Mediatek processors these days.

GPU RANKINGS

The following are the GPU rankings rated on the basis of performance. One GPU can be paired with several SoCs. The Adreno 618 can be found on the SD720G, SD730 and SD730G.

A CLASS (FLAGSHIP LEVEL GPU)

The following GPUs are the best in the market. They can render any graphics or play any high definition online game in the market today. The below listed are all flagship class GPUs.

Apple: A13, A12 and A11 Bionic GPU

Qualcomm: Adreno 650, 640, 630, 620 and 540

ARM: Mali G77 MP11, G77 MC9, G76 MP16, G77 MC7, G76 MP 12, G76 MP10, G77 MP5, G72 MP18 and G52 MP6

Imagination Tech: None

B CLASS (UPPER MIDRANGE LEVEL)

These chips can also run very well but they are a step below the A class GPUs. They can render any graphic as well games very well. They are mostly found on old flagships or on upper midrange SoCs.

Apple: None

Qualcomm: Adreno 618, 530 and 616

ARM: Mali G72 MP12, G76 3EEMC4 and G71 MP20

Imagination Tech: Power VR 7XT GT7600 Plus

C CLASS

These are good for most games but not all. They certainly won’t support games like Grid Autosports or Fortnite. They also cannot play a lot of games at very high settings. Mid settings should be okay. They also lag when rendering in augmented or virtual reality. But for the price, they offer very decent performance. You can find them on lots of lower midrangers.

Qualcomm: Adreno 615, 612, 610, 512, 430, 510, 509, 508, 420 and 418

ARM: Mali G71 MP8, T880 MP12, G52 MC2, G72 MP3, T760 MP8, T860 MP4, G51 MP4 and T830 MP3

Imagination Tech: Power VR 7XT GT7600, 7XTP-MT4, GM9446 and GX6450

D CLASS (BUDGET LEVEL)

These GPU are mostly found on budget SoCs. They can also play a lot of games but not the top tier high end ones. They can also play games at low to mid settings. Do not go any higher than that or your gaming experience would be terrible. These GPUs also are incompatible with virtual or augmented reality.

Qualcomm: Adreno 506, 505 and 405

ARM: Mali T880 MP4, G71 MP2, G71 MP1, T880 MP2, T760 MP6, T628 MP6, T830 MP2, T860 MP2 and T769 MP4

Imagination Tech: Power VE G6430, G6200 and GE8320

E CLASS

These are the worst GPUs you can find on smartphones. They can not play anything beyond casual games like Temple Run, Candy crush, Cooking fever etc. Their performances are really nothing to write home about.

Qualcomm: Adreno 504, 308 and 306

ARM: Mali T628 MP4, T830 MP1, T720 MP2, T604 MP4, T760 MP2, T720 MP1 and T450 MP4

Imagination Tech: Power VR GE8100

This brings us to the end of this post. What GPU do you use? How has it impacted on your viewing and gaming experience? What GPU class would you aim for in future? Let us know in the comments.

https://inquisitiveuniverse.com/2020/08/26/what-is-a-gpu/

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: An In-depth Look At Gpus, The Companies That Make Gpus And Their Rankings by Zimri(m): 4:34pm On Aug 26, 2020
cool

Cool
Re: An In-depth Look At Gpus, The Companies That Make Gpus And Their Rankings by atheistandproud(m): 4:50pm On Aug 26, 2020
Zimri:
cool
Cool
thank you bro.
Re: An In-depth Look At Gpus, The Companies That Make Gpus And Their Rankings by Hakeem12(m): 5:08pm On Aug 26, 2020
Tech is moving fast no shiit. The adreno 618 paired with the SD720G is pretty impressive. My cousin bought redmi note 9s last week, and we put it to some test. It played pubg at 60fps effortlessly, NBA2k at high settings too. Fortnite though was locked on 30fps, I don't know if the game is that powerful or just poorly optmized.

Now I wonder whether SoCs like the SD665 would even run fortnite. Never tried it on my RN8 though. But then at least, I know I'm fairing better than some people that bought devices with Helio A22 and want to play Pubg on high settings grin

8 Likes

Re: An In-depth Look At Gpus, The Companies That Make Gpus And Their Rankings by atheistandproud(m): 6:11pm On Aug 26, 2020
Hakeem12:
Tech is moving fast no shiit. The adreno 618 paired with the SD720G is pretty impressive. My cousin bought redmi note 9s last week, and we put it to some test. It played pubg at 60fps effortlessly, NBA2k at high settings too. Fortnite though was locked on 30fps, I don't know if the game is that powerful or just poorly optmized.

Now I wonder whether SoCs like the SD665 would even run fortnite. Never tried it on my RN8 though. But then at least, I know I'm fairing better than some people that bought devices with Helio A22 and want to play Pubg on high settings grin

Fortnite is poorly optimized. Their porting to Android is like an afterthought sef.

SD665 won't support Fortnite. Neither will SD660 as well. However SD675 and above support it.

The last three lines sha. I did not read it oh.

I go and piss

1 Like

Re: An In-depth Look At Gpus, The Companies That Make Gpus And Their Rankings by sunshineV(f): 6:20pm On Aug 26, 2020
Hakeem12:

redmi note 8 won't that game is demanding bt 8pro should

1 Like

Re: An In-depth Look At Gpus, The Companies That Make Gpus And Their Rankings by KrazyDave16(m): 6:39pm On Aug 26, 2020
Hakeem12:

Depends on what device you play Fortnite on.
You can get 60fps on iPhones 8 up and some select Android devices (flagship and gaming ones) like;

1. Samsung (S and Note 9 series up)
2. OnePlus 7 Pro up(there's 90fps but on low graphics atm which is stupid)
3. Asus ROG 2 up
4. Nubia Redmagic 3 and 5G/5S

120fps on iPad Pro 2018 model.

First 2 got it cos they made special deals with Epic, rest got it cos they were gaming phones/met the minimum GPU and CPU requirements. Apple got it cos they get almost all apps first before Android.

1 Like

Re: An In-depth Look At Gpus, The Companies That Make Gpus And Their Rankings by atheistandproud(m): 7:02pm On Aug 26, 2020
KrazyDave16:

Depends on what device you play Fortnite on.
You can get 60fps on iPhones 8 up and some select Android devices (flagship and gaming ones) like;

1. Samsung (S and Note 9 series up)
2. OnePlus 7 Pro up(there's 90fps but on low graphics atm which is stupid)
3. Asus ROG 2 up
4. Nubia Redmagic 3 and 5G/5S

120fps on iPad Pro 2018 model.

First 2 got it cos they made special deals with Epic, rest got it cos they were gaming phones/met the minimum GPU and CPU requirements. Apple got it cos they get almost all apps first before Android.

Yeah. They didn't optimize it for the rest of us.

1 Like

Re: An In-depth Look At Gpus, The Companies That Make Gpus And Their Rankings by atheistandproud(m): 7:03pm On Aug 26, 2020
sunshineV:
redmi note 8 won't that game is demanding bt 8pro should

8 Pro does very well. Prolly better than 720G sef.
Re: An In-depth Look At Gpus, The Companies That Make Gpus And Their Rankings by zakkyzakes: 9:06pm On Aug 26, 2020
you're the one who made me join nairaland sir your posts are educative sir

1 Like

Re: An In-depth Look At Gpus, The Companies That Make Gpus And Their Rankings by atheistandproud(m): 9:17pm On Aug 26, 2020
zakkyzakes:
you're the one who made me join nairaland sir your posts are educative sir

This is very high praise sir. I deeply appreciate it.
Re: An In-depth Look At Gpus, The Companies That Make Gpus And Their Rankings by zakkyzakes: 9:19pm On Aug 26, 2020
atheistandproud:

This is very high praise sir. I deeply appreciate it.
am not a sir am just an 18 year old sir
Re: An In-depth Look At Gpus, The Companies That Make Gpus And Their Rankings by WinningEleven(m): 10:54pm On Aug 26, 2020
No wonder my phone couldn't play PUBG Mobile lite even at the lowest settings.
I use a Power VR 8100 GPU and I just realized it's the worst of the worst.
Imagine.
1.28gHz slow CPU.
Slow Quad core.
Out dated MT6761
Out dated Power VR 8100 GPU

And I wasted 40k on this pouvoir 3.

It shall not be well with Transsion

9 Likes

Re: An In-depth Look At Gpus, The Companies That Make Gpus And Their Rankings by atheistandproud(m): 11:00pm On Aug 26, 2020
WinningEleven:
Imagine.
1.28gHz slow CPU.
Slow Quad core.
Out dated MT6761

Sorry boss.

Pouvoir 3 masquerades as a budget device but it's actually an entry level phone.

The SoC is actually MT6739, a very miniscule increment from MT6737 used on the Pouvoir 2.

But yes you're absolutely right, that GE 8100 is nothing to write home about.
Re: An In-depth Look At Gpus, The Companies That Make Gpus And Their Rankings by Hakeem12(m): 8:32am On Aug 27, 2020
WinningEleven:
Imagine.
1.28gHz slow CPU.
Slow Quad core.
Out dated MT6761

lol, worst of the worst indeed. The are unrepentant, the keep using the same poor chipsets year after year

1 Like

Re: An In-depth Look At Gpus, The Companies That Make Gpus And Their Rankings by DONFRANSKID(m): 8:35am On Aug 27, 2020
Transsion marketers how fa una no get mouth again?

4 Likes

Re: An In-depth Look At Gpus, The Companies That Make Gpus And Their Rankings by sunshineV(f): 8:40am On Aug 27, 2020
atheistandproud:

8 Pro does very well. Prolly better than 720G sef.
dat g90t is mad sturvs

1 Like

Re: An In-depth Look At Gpus, The Companies That Make Gpus And Their Rankings by sunshineV(f): 8:43am On Aug 27, 2020
WinningEleven:
Imagine.
1.28gHz slow CPU.
Slow Quad core.
Out dated MT6761

amen to dis loud prayer
Re: An In-depth Look At Gpus, The Companies That Make Gpus And Their Rankings by MrBONE2(m): 9:21am On Aug 27, 2020
atheistandproud:

Fortnite is poorly optimized. Their porting to Android is like an afterthought sef.

SD665 won't support Fortnite. Neither will SD660 as well. However SD675 and above support it.

The last three lines sha. I did not read it oh.

I go and piss
grin

Re: An In-depth Look At Gpus, The Companies That Make Gpus And Their Rankings by MrBONE2(m): 9:26am On Aug 27, 2020
WinningEleven:
Imagine.
1.28gHz slow CPU.
Slow Quad core.
Out dated MT6761

Sorry Buddy the damage had already been done, you gotta bear it like that grin

2 Likes

Re: An In-depth Look At Gpus, The Companies That Make Gpus And Their Rankings by Nobody: 9:36am On Aug 27, 2020
I use Adreno 610 with SD665 on my redmi note 8

I'm able to run Call of duty on "Very High" and my fps averages around 28 to 30 FPS and it sometimes peaks at 38 to 40 fps although this causes my battery to drain faster all the textures will be crystal clear, I can sight people from miles away and hide from them or snipe them cheesy. The 28 FPS feels quite moderate for gaming sha

If I play COD on "High" or any lower graphics settings it averages at 40 fps

I'll go for one of the A class or B class you mentioned above next time
This was a very educational topic grin

3 Likes

Re: An In-depth Look At Gpus, The Companies That Make Gpus And Their Rankings by Nobody: 9:38am On Aug 27, 2020
WinningEleven:
Imagine.
1.28gHz slow CPU.
Slow Quad core.
Out dated MT6761

I remember the time I tried to play PUBG on my Tecno w4 then cheesy
The game literally told me that it wasn't made for my phone cheesy

2 Likes

Re: An In-depth Look At Gpus, The Companies That Make Gpus And Their Rankings by Unbiased1: 9:52am On Aug 27, 2020
Adreno 530 in old snapdragon 820 is more powerful than the GPU in snapdragon 665 shocked cheesy
More reason why I will stick to Lg G5 than upgrade to redmi note 8 cool
Re: An In-depth Look At Gpus, The Companies That Make Gpus And Their Rankings by atheistandproud(m): 10:30am On Aug 27, 2020
Darkhyve:
I use Adreno 610 with SD665 on my redmi note 8

I'm able to run Call of duty on "Very High" and my fps averages around 28 to 30 FPS and it sometimes peaks at 38 to 40 fps although this causes my battery to drain faster all the textures will be crystal clear, I can sight people from miles away and hide from them or snipe them cheesy. The 28 FPS feels quite moderate for gaming sha

If I play COD on "High" or any lower graphics settings it averages at 40 fps

I'll go for one of the A class or B class you mentioned above next time
This was a very educational topic grin

Qualcomm had games specifically optimized for their adreno GPUs by giving all the source codes and instruction sets to game developers to work with.

So that games run smoothly on their SoCs.

Apple does the same too.

Mali and Power VR do not.

4 Likes

Re: An In-depth Look At Gpus, The Companies That Make Gpus And Their Rankings by atheistandproud(m): 10:31am On Aug 27, 2020
Unbiased1:
Adreno 530 in old snapdragon 820 is more powerful than the GPU in snapdragon 665 shocked cheesy
More reason why I will stick to Lg G5 than upgrade to redmi note 8 cool

I agree with you on this.
Re: An In-depth Look At Gpus, The Companies That Make Gpus And Their Rankings by atheistandproud(m): 10:32am On Aug 27, 2020
DONFRANSKID:
Transsion marketers how fa una no get mouth again?

After international outlets broke the news that they're stealing from Africans, their marketers have gone into hibernation since day before yesterday.

Even Edo pilot has run out of defensive statements.

8 Likes

Re: An In-depth Look At Gpus, The Companies That Make Gpus And Their Rankings by atheistandproud(m): 10:33am On Aug 27, 2020
MrBONE2:

Sorry Buddy the damage had already been done, you gotta bear it like that grin

You ehn?
Re: An In-depth Look At Gpus, The Companies That Make Gpus And Their Rankings by atheistandproud(m): 10:35am On Aug 27, 2020
Darkhyve:

I remember the time I tried to play PUBG on my Tecno w4 then cheesy The game literally told me that it wasn't made for my phone cheesy
This can be very painful tho.
Re: An In-depth Look At Gpus, The Companies That Make Gpus And Their Rankings by atheistandproud(m): 10:37am On Aug 27, 2020
sunshineV:
dat g90t is mad sturvs
Mediatek went all out.
That SoC is mehd.
Re: An In-depth Look At Gpus, The Companies That Make Gpus And Their Rankings by Nobody: 5:54pm On Aug 27, 2020
atheistandproud:

This can be very painful tho.

I was sooo pained that day ehn.... I couldn't even hide it my friends started calling it potato phone
Re: An In-depth Look At Gpus, The Companies That Make Gpus And Their Rankings by RealEzee(m): 6:32pm On Aug 27, 2020
WinningEleven:
Imagine.
1.28gHz slow CPU.
Slow Quad core.
Out dated MT6761

amen!!!!!!!!!!! grin
Re: An In-depth Look At Gpus, The Companies That Make Gpus And Their Rankings by atheistandproud(m): 6:45pm On Aug 27, 2020
Darkhyve:

I was sooo pained that day ehn.... I couldn't even hide it my friends started calling it potato phone

That's actually the proper name for it tho.

I'm sure you've upgraded sha.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Xiaomi And Her Fans Fighting Like Russia & Ukraine After Xiaomi Note 12 Launch. / How Do I Install Games On My HTC Android Phone / Very Good Reasons To Buy An Android Phone Over An Iphone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.