Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,560 members, 7,820,024 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:35 AM

President Buhari Ends Estimated Billing In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Buhari Ends Estimated Billing In Nigeria (1913 Views)

Tinubu: Nigerians Won’t Pay Estimated Billing For Electricity If I’m President / NERC Stops Estimated Billing By Discos / Buhari Ends DSTV Exclusive Rights On EPL Matches (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

President Buhari Ends Estimated Billing In Nigeria by murecool(m): 10:13pm On Aug 26, 2020
PRESIDENT Buhari ENDS ESTIMATED BILLING IN NIGERIA
*Directs nationwide mass metering

Details below in NERC STATEMENT

NIGERIAN ELECTRICITY REGULATORY COMMISSION
PRESS RELEASE: NERC COMMITTED TO PROTECTING CUSTOMERS
In response to media reports that there is an increase in tariffs for Nigerians, NERC wishes to clarify that tariff reviews going forward will only follow service-based principles. Under these service-based principles DISCOs will only be able to review tariff rates for customers when they consult with customers, commit to increasing the number of hours of supply per day and quality of service.

In all cases poor and vulnerable Nigerians will not experience any increase. In line with these expectations, DISCOs are directed to engage with their customers on a Service Based Tariff structure. Under the Service Based Tariff Structure, DISCOs can only review tariffs for customers under the following conditions:

Customers are consulted and communicated a guaranteed level of electricity service by the DISCOs based on hours of supply
Customers are metered
No estimated billing through the strict enforcement of the capping regulation. This means that unmetered customers will not experience any cost increase beyond what is chargeable to metered customers in the same area.

Even under the above conditions, there will be no change in tariff for the most vulnerable as tariffs for those consuming 50KW or less remain frozen. Customers receiving less than 12 hours of supply will also not experience any change in tariffs.

In addition, the President has directed that there should be a nationwide mass-metering program in an effort by the Federal Government to put a stop to estimated and arbitrary billing for electricity. He has also approved a waiver of the import levy on meters, so that those that do not have meters can be supplied as early as possible at reasonable costs.

The general public and all stakeholders in the power sector are by this statement urged to disregard any reports of an arbitrary tariff increase affecting Nigerians.

James. A. Momoh
Chairman, Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission
Re: President Buhari Ends Estimated Billing In Nigeria by jlinkd78(m): 10:15pm On Aug 26, 2020
This govt is crafty and not very sincere. You increased tarrif with d hope of increasing number of hours of light availability. You take us for fools right. A simple case of d cart bf d horse. A sincere Govt would have operated in a reverse order by increasing the hours of light availability and when it's achieved increase d tarrif. A careful perusal of d above press statement exposes an insensitive Govt trying to subtly deceive her ppl. Same way PMS moved from N87 to N150 in d name of subsidy removal.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: President Buhari Ends Estimated Billing In Nigeria by realstars: 10:19pm On Aug 26, 2020
We Shall See How It Goes.

1 Like

Re: President Buhari Ends Estimated Billing In Nigeria by Deputy1111(m): 10:21pm On Aug 26, 2020
Good news

1 Like

Re: President Buhari Ends Estimated Billing In Nigeria by olisaEze(m): 10:23pm On Aug 26, 2020
Just as the Covid19 electricity bill for the months of the lockdown have been waived, na?

And pls nobody should coman do "darling daddy" for me here, because I just saw a video of an irate customer that stripped & threatened to rape a female PHCN official that was part of a team that seized his cables after cutting off his power supply for his billing debts that stretched from the beginning of the lockdown.

Scamming administration!! grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: President Buhari Ends Estimated Billing In Nigeria by Dejyom(m): 10:33pm On Aug 26, 2020
A good plan from the government but Disco has to be closely monitored so as to ensure the plan is executed exactly as designed by Government.

1 Like

Re: President Buhari Ends Estimated Billing In Nigeria by fyneguy: 10:34pm On Aug 26, 2020
jlinkd78:
This govt is crafty and not very sincere. You increased tarrif with d hope of increasing number of hours of light availability. You take us for fools right. A simple case of d cart bf d horse. A sincere Govt would have operated in a reverse order by increasing the hours of light availability and when it's achieved increase d tarrif. A careful perusal of d above press statement exposes an insensitive Govt trying to subtly deceive her ppl. Same way PMS moved from N87 to N150 in d name of subsidy removal.

empty grammar.

Per kwh of power is fixed and known to consumers. The Discos just need to meter all users, otherwise Discos will lose out. Consumers need to manage energy consumption and cut wastage, to be ableto afford it, as it's done abroad.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: President Buhari Ends Estimated Billing In Nigeria by otokx(m): 10:41pm On Aug 26, 2020
Look well it has actually been increased.
Re: President Buhari Ends Estimated Billing In Nigeria by Kampack: 11:14pm On Aug 26, 2020
Stories
Re: President Buhari Ends Estimated Billing In Nigeria by Kwamecron(m): 12:49am On Aug 27, 2020
U don’t mean it.

Joke of the day!!!

1 Like

Re: President Buhari Ends Estimated Billing In Nigeria by Kwamecron(m): 12:51am On Aug 27, 2020
I av never seen a poor NIGERIA.

Abi you are poor nii?

We are all going down on this one.

If u kw u kw.
Re: President Buhari Ends Estimated Billing In Nigeria by GamalNasser: 12:55am On Aug 27, 2020
Once estimated billing goes the electricity will come ..I have been saying this for years but Nobody listened
Re: President Buhari Ends Estimated Billing In Nigeria by Aufbauh(m): 1:01am On Aug 27, 2020
fyneguy:

empty grammar.

Per kwh of power is fixed and known to consumers. The Discos just need to meter all users, otherwise Discos will lose out. Consumers need to manage energy consumption and cut wastage, to be ableto afford it, as it's done abroad.

Your head dey there!
Don't mind him as he wants to be seen making an input even though his long 'grammar' is lacking in knowledge.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: President Buhari Ends Estimated Billing In Nigeria by Newboss(m): 4:37am On Aug 27, 2020
You guys will miss the luxury of blowing electricity anyhow, few years after using prepaid meter. You burn freezer, AC, electric cooker, etc, at the end of the month they collect 5k. Try it with prepaid, your units go finish in two weeks only, if you're lucky.

I have heard of places they collect just 2k. Hehehe. By the time price of electricity unit start to go up, una go know say una don buy market.
Re: President Buhari Ends Estimated Billing In Nigeria by StubbornGENIUS: 4:40am On Aug 27, 2020
The Discos are doing a great job recently.
They must be commended.
Re: President Buhari Ends Estimated Billing In Nigeria by Mynd44: 5:02am On Aug 27, 2020
Re: President Buhari Ends Estimated Billing In Nigeria by MyMouth(m): 6:16am On Aug 27, 2020

1 Like

Re: President Buhari Ends Estimated Billing In Nigeria by Lovelive: 6:30am On Aug 27, 2020
MyMouth:

Fake news obviously!

Confirmed news
Re: President Buhari Ends Estimated Billing In Nigeria by 9gerian: 7:50am On Aug 27, 2020
As long as the discos are able to give estimated bills, they would forever reject increased supply from TCN.

Estimated bills gives them all the profit that they need and more, while they continue to reduce the actual supply to such customers. This is why the discos don’t want such customers metered.

The only customers that experience improved supply are those in areas that are heavily metered because; no supply no revenue.

It’s not rocket science!
Re: President Buhari Ends Estimated Billing In Nigeria by Xisnin(m): 8:32am On Aug 27, 2020
fyneguy:

empty grammar.

Was there a time when the cost of per kwh of power is not fixed?
Re: President Buhari Ends Estimated Billing In Nigeria by tungamaje: 8:44am On Aug 27, 2020
Since they decided not to meter our home, I have bought a hot plate which I use to cook beans whenever their three hours of light comes. Immediately after cooking beans I boil some water to bathe and sometimes forget the water is already hot. Since BEDC feel they are smart, I mustn't waste my light. I pay whether they supply light or not
Re: President Buhari Ends Estimated Billing In Nigeria by ojaysam25(m): 8:58am On Aug 27, 2020
If this is true....then it is very Good but I will take this news with a pitch of salt.
Re: President Buhari Ends Estimated Billing In Nigeria by Lisaint(m): 9:03am On Aug 27, 2020
Newboss:
You guys will miss the luxury of blowing electricity anyhow, few years after using prepaid meter. You burn freezer, AC, electric cooker, etc, at the end of the month they collect 5k. Try it with prepaid, your units go finish in two weeks only, if you're lucky.

I have heard of places they collect just 2k. Hehehe. By the time price of electricity unit start to go up, una go know say una don buy market.

I’m not here to tackle your post just to buttress your point with some addition and subtraction

I know of an area
Where they charged them 5k monthly without bringing the light

Anytime they wanna share bills
They will leave the light for 3 hours
After sharing they will take it

The next time they will bring it
You will see them disconnecting people light from the pole
Because they fail to pay the bill they bought few weeks ago

This place I’m talking about is akungba Akoko
Ondo State
This area is controlled by BEDC

TILL date there’s no prepaid meter in akungba and it environs

To me I personally think
BEDC network need to be reduced

The network is too large hence they are just ripping people off

They are controlling Ondo,Benin and i also think with delta

Even lagos as small as it’s geographically
It’s controlled by two company
iE = ikeja electric
Ekedc=Eko electricity distribution company
Re: President Buhari Ends Estimated Billing In Nigeria by Lisaint(m): 9:22am On Aug 27, 2020
Honestly
To me

The regulators of discos ain’t doing enough
They need to be up and doing
Not just issue order on social media?
Or just sit down in abuja and be giving commands

When last has the regulatory visit each network and talk to final consumers of electricity
To know what they are going thorough
To know there problem!

This is not the first time
Fg is giving order to meter customers

This is not the first time nerc is ordering them also

But they won’t comply

Even those that paid ain't seeing The prepaid

The dicos intentionally hoard it

Because they want estimated billing to continue

Let me tell you
Even when they share the prepaid,they didn’t give the whole house they might say landlord should be on prepaid tenants should be on estimated billing

Make your research and prove the bolden wrong
Re: President Buhari Ends Estimated Billing In Nigeria by acidici: 10:32am On Aug 27, 2020
In fact BEDC is the worst of all the DISCO. In May our transformer went bad. They said for us to get light we have to repair it ourselves. The cost of the repair was 500000 naira at Onitsha. Each building in the area was billed 10000 naira to raise the money. When they brought the transformer back after about a month. They said we were owing BEDC 25, 000, 000 naira. That if the debt is not cleared they will not reconnect the transformer. All the landlord in the area had to match to their office to asked them to go from house to house to disconnect anybody owning them that kind off money. When they realise that their game was up they connected us.

Then they brought my bill with over 20, 000 naira consumption for a month and half that we did not have light. I went to their office to complain they said that it was what I consumed. I said how. My meter was never read. How did I consume such an amount inside darkness. The guy was looking at me. I asked if I have to pay for darkness. He could not answer. Up till now I am still battling with them to get the problem corrected, but it seems they are not willing to correct it.

The government is just playing to the gallery with this their statement. They don't monitor all these DISCO's. The DISCO know this fact that is why they misbehave a lot.
Lisaint:

I’m not here to tackle your post just to buttress your point with some addition and subtraction

I know of an area
Where they charged them 5k monthly without bringing the light

Anytime they wanna share bills
They will leave the light for 3 hours
After sharing they will take it

The next time they will bring it
You will see them disconnecting people light from the pole
Because they fail to pay the bill they bought few weeks ago

This place I’m talking about is akungba Akoko
Ondo State
This area is controlled by BEDC

TILL date there’s no prepaid meter in akungba and it environs

To me I personally think
BEDC network need to be reduced

The network is too large hence they are just ripping people off

They are controlling Ondo,Benin and i also think with delta

Even lagos as small as it’s geographically
It’s controlled by two company
iE = ikeja electric
Ekedc=Eko electricity distribution company
Re: President Buhari Ends Estimated Billing In Nigeria by kings59: 10:49am On Aug 27, 2020
Newboss:

When that happens, we port to generator. I do pump water using my generator. I make use of coal pressing iron, I don't even like a/c because of pneumonia.

Just my washing machine which can also be used on generators.

At least, I will pay for what I use. Customers wanna pay for what they use.
Re: President Buhari Ends Estimated Billing In Nigeria by Lisaint(m): 10:51am On Aug 27, 2020
acidici:
In fact BEDC is the worst of all the DISCO. In May our transformer went bad. They said for us to get light we have to repair it ourselves. The cost of the repair was 500000 naira at Onitsha. Each building in the area was billed 10000 naira to raise the money. When they brought the transformer back after about a month. They said we were owing BEDC 25, 000, 000 naira. That if the debt is not cleared they will not reconnect the transformer. All the landlord in the area had to match to their office to asked them to go from house to house to disconnect anybody owning them that kind off money. When they realise that their game was up they connected us.

Then they brought my bill with over 20, 000 naira consumption for a month and half that we did not have light. I went to their office to complain they said that it was what I consumed. I said how. My meter was never read. How did I consume such an amount inside darkness. The guy was looking at me. I asked if I have to pay for darkness. He could not answer. Up till now I am still battling with them to get the problem corrected, but it seems they are not willing to correct it.

The government is just playing to the gallery with this their statement. They don't monitor all these DISCO's. The DISCO know this fact that is why they misbehave a lot.

I think BEDC is having The largest network
And they are a failure

Their regulatory are doing nada
They just sit down in abuja and issues statements to the media all the time

This is the same thing they are doing in Ondo state.

BEDC IS OVERSTRETCH

(1) (Reply)

Can Someone Tell Us Exactly What The Problem Is In Oyigbo? / Gun Men Set Imo State House Of Assembly On Fire: Pictures & Video / See The Next Plan Nigerians Got To Overthrow President Buhari From Office.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.