Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,214 members, 7,818,725 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:04 PM

Yoruba Gbagyi Relation? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Gbagyi Relation? (1089 Views)

About Gbagyi People, The Real Owners Of Abuja By ADAOBI ONYEAKAGBU / Gbagyi : The Unsung Tribe - History Of The Gbagyi People By Isaac Somto / An Insight On The Gbagyi People: Real Owners Of Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba Gbagyi Relation? by NubaVertigo(m): 12:42am On Aug 27, 2020
Are the Yorubas related to the Gbagyi people of the middle belt of Nigeria? Anyone with any knowledge here?
Re: Yoruba Gbagyi Relation? by BrownLondon(m): 12:42pm On Aug 27, 2020
please don't drag Yorubas into the mud, we don't want insult.

we are not land grabbers.

as far as Nigeria is concerned, Yorubas are predominantly found in South West (Ekiti, Lagos, Osun, Ondo, Ogun and Oyo) plus Kwara(Kwara South and Central ) and Kogi west.

we have no relationship with the gbagyi.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Gbagyi Relation? by Christistruth00: 3:11am On Aug 28, 2020
NubaVertigo:
Are the Yorubas related to the Gbagyi people of the middle belt of Nigeria? Anyone with any knowledge here?

Yes
both are closely related to the Nupe. Sultan Bello. told Clapperton around 1836 that Nupe and Yoruba were more or less the same people (Oyo conquered and ruled over Nupe from around the 15th Century after the Nupe had initially conquered and ruled the Oyo for 85 years). The Gwari or Gbagyi are an off shoot of the Nupe and also immediate neighbours of the Oworo and Okun Yoruba's of Kogi State.

Gen Babangida is officially Gwari/Gbagyi

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Gbagyi Relation? by scholes0(m): 6:09am On Aug 28, 2020
Gbagyis? Nope..

Yorubas don’t mention them in our history even when Nupe (Tapa) is mentioned severally and is very well known. There are even towns in Yorubaland founded by Nupes.

Gbagyis are more like the Nupes without a strong culture/history- and we don’t really know them.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Gbagyi Relation? by NubaVertigo(m): 10:47pm On Aug 28, 2020
Thank you all for your feedback. All very eye opening. Keep them coming please
Re: Yoruba Gbagyi Relation? by NubaVertigo(m): 10:49pm On Aug 28, 2020
BrownLondon:
please don't drag Yorubas into the mud, we don't want insult.

we are not land grabbers.

as far as Nigeria is concerned, Yorubas are predominantly found in South West (Ekiti, Lagos, Osun, Ondo, Ogun and Oyo) plus Kwara(Kwara South and Central ) and Kogi west.

we have no relationship with the gbagyi.

I am not land grabbing. I am searching for history
Re: Yoruba Gbagyi Relation? by NubaVertigo(m): 10:51pm On Aug 28, 2020
scholes0:
Gbagyis? Nope..

Yorubas don’t mention them in our history even when Nupe (Tapa) is mentioned severally and is very well known. There are even towns in Yorubaland founded by Nupes.

Gbagyis are more like the Nupes without a strong culture/history- and we don’t really know them.

I'm curious though, also. Could there be any link with the fact that Nok art is found near their site and Esie (Yoruba sculptures) and other forms of Yoruba art look like Nok art? They also speak a language which falls under the Volta-Niger cluster -- "Gb" consonant and "kp" consonant

Note that they also see that head as sacred, but treat it moreso as such than the Yorubas do.

Just asking questions. (note: I think Nok is actually found in the Atyap section, but they live immediately close to Gbagyi)
Re: Yoruba Gbagyi Relation? by scholes0(m): 12:21am On Aug 29, 2020
NubaVertigo:

I'm curious though, also. Could there be any link with the fact that Nok art is found near their site and Esie (Yoruba sculptures) and other forms of Yoruba art look like Nok art? They also speak a language which falls under the Volta-Niger cluster -- "Gb" consonant and "kp" consonant

Note that they also see that head as sacred, but treat it moreso as such than the Yorubas do.

Just asking questions. (note: I think Nok is actually found in the Atyap section, but they live immediately close to Gbagyi)

Their reverence for the “head” might just be co-incidental with that of the Yoruba, Furthermore- there is no proof per say that the makers of the ancient Nok works of art were the direct ancestors of todays Gbagyis, and even if they were, I am sure there are other populations descended from the same stock as well.

Yes I am familiar with their language , it sounds very much like Nupe.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Gbagyi Relation? by NubaVertigo(m): 5:50am On Aug 31, 2020
scholes0:

Their reverence for the “head” might just be co-incidental with that of the Yoruba, Furthermore- there is no proof per say that the makers of the ancient Nok works of art were the direct ancestors of todays Gbagyis, and even if they were, I am sure there are other populations descended from the same stock as well.

Yes I am familiar with their language , it sounds very much like Nupe.

Thanks for that feedback and for your insight.
Re: Yoruba Gbagyi Relation? by googi: 9:13pm On Aug 31, 2020
Yes we cut ourselves into pieces these days Bini, Esan, Gbagi, Nupe or Tapa. This is why they call us tribes even when our population was more than theirs and still is.

The technology of Non Culture, iron, terracotta and I do Eleru 10,000 BC was only found within the Yoruba.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Gbagyi Relation? by Christistruth00: 6:05pm On Sep 01, 2020
scholes0:
Gbagyis? Nope..

Gwari are. offshoot of the Nupe and Yoruba are strongly related to Nupe. If you are related to the father you are related to his son.
Re: Yoruba Gbagyi Relation? by macof(m): 10:47am On Sep 02, 2020
Most ethnicities of the South and Middle belt are ancestrally connected.
But there is no special connection between Gbagyi and Yoruba in particular but Yoruba were in very deep contact with Nupe. Gbagyi are the closest ethnicity to the Nupe so even if records of interaction are scarce between Yoruba and Gbagyi, interaction definitely happened

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Gbagyi Relation? by AreaFada2: 1:48pm On Sep 03, 2020
OP, tribalism, chest beating and supremacy battle won't let you get the facts.

Essentially less than 5000 years ago, many tribes in current Southern and Middle Belt of Nigeria would have had a lot in common.

But people will only accept that now if they can claim that their current tribe was the leader of all.
Re: Yoruba Gbagyi Relation? by NubaVertigo(m): 7:58pm On Sep 05, 2020
macof:
Most ethnicities of the South and Middle belt are ancestrally connected.
But there is no special connection between Gbagyi and Yoruba in particular but Yoruba were in very deep contact with Nupe. Gbagyi are the closest ethnicity to the Nupe so even if records of interaction are scarce between Yoruba and Gbagyi, interaction definitely happened

Yes, I'm inclined to think so as well. It only sounds reasonable

(1) (Reply)

INSECURITY: Erelu Tinuade Backs Obj's Statement, Berates Lai Mohammed For Carel / Biko Ki Discussuqua Nnhe Nde Nne Chi N'igbo! / The Most Populous Black Nation In The World - BBC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.