Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,604 members, 7,812,978 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:07 AM

Why The Titles Alhaji And Alhaja? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Why The Titles Alhaji And Alhaja? (50401 Views)

Alhaji Gawat Is Still Missing A Year On / Alhaji Lateef Adegbite Is Dead / A Disturbing News About Alhaji Gawat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why The Titles Alhaji And Alhaja? by olutomiwa(m): 5:33pm On Jun 19, 2007
Its no more news that MOST of our muslim brothers and sisters always end up calling themselves ALHAJI and ALHAJA after their pilgrimage to mecca,but from my inquiry i gathered that alhaji and alhaja are the names saudi people call those on a pilgrimage to mecca and it means STRANGER,if this is true why do our people always WANT to be called by these names when they RETURN HOME?is it part of our craze for TITLES in our country,just like some people will be mad wid you if you fail to address them with titles like chief,doc,prof etc.Is it a must for people to be called ALHAJI AND ALHAJA{[[/b]b]STRANGER}IN THEIR OWN COUNTRY.This thread is by no means MEANT TO RIDICULE ANYBODY OR RELIGION,but for our people to stop the trend.
Re: Why The Titles Alhaji And Alhaja? by IDINRETE: 6:15pm On Jun 19, 2007
WHAT ABOUT PASTOR,
APOSTLES, EVANGELISTS, LADY EVANGELIST, PROPHET, PROPHETESES, REVEREND, BISHOP, CANON, PRIMATE etc
Re: Why The Titles Alhaji And Alhaja? by Nobody: 1:21am On Jun 20, 2007
olutomiwa:

Its no more news that MOST of our muslim brothers and sisters always end up calling themselves ALHAJI and ALHAJA after their pilgrimage to mecca,but from my inquiry i gathered that alhaji and alhaja are the names saudi people call those on a pilgrimage to mecca and it means STRANGER,if this is true why do our people always WANT to be called by these names when they RETURN HOME?is it part of our craze for TITLES in our country,just like some people will be mad wid you if you fail to address them with titles like chief,doc,prof etc.Is it a must for people to be called ALHAJI AND ALHAJA{[[/b]b]STRANGER}IN THEIR OWN COUNTRY.This thread is by no means MEANT TO RIDICULE ANYBODY OR RELIGION,but for our people to stop the trend.                                                                                                   

They are still strangers in naija while they await transport from Nigeria to hell then to jannat

I can prove that they first pass through hell before going to the Islamic paradise.
so no name callings please
Re: Why The Titles Alhaji And Alhaja? by debosky(m): 1:26am On Jun 20, 2007
I always thought the name had something to do with hajj as in al'hajji male al'hajja female, now someone says it means stranger.

what is the source of your evidence?
Re: Why The Titles Alhaji And Alhaja? by TayoD(m): 2:36am On Jun 20, 2007
@Idinrete,

WHAT ABOUT PASTOR, APOSTLES, EVANGELISTS, LADY EVANGELIST, PROPHET, PROPHETESES, REVEREND, BISHOP, CANON, PRIMATE etc
There is a huge difference here! A Pastor and the others you mentioned occupy offices that people associate them with. It's just like refering to someone as President, Ambassador, Teacher etc, What office do Alhajis or Alhajas occupy?

1 Like

Re: Why The Titles Alhaji And Alhaja? by BlackMamba(m): 2:40am On Jun 20, 2007
Where are the Muslims in the house? Please inform us on this.
Re: Why The Titles Alhaji And Alhaja? by Nobody: 3:42am On Jun 20, 2007
BlackMamba:

Where are the Muslims in the house? Please inform us on this.

they have all gone into hiding. They cant stand the heat from "haters of islam". grin

1 Like

Re: Why The Titles Alhaji And Alhaja? by IDINRETE: 10:59am On Jun 20, 2007
TayoD:

@Idinrete,
There is a huge difference here! A Pastor and the others you mentioned occupy offices that people associate them with. It's just like refering to someone as President, Ambassador, Teacher etc, What office do Alhajis or Alhajas occupy?

thanks for the explanation
Re: Why The Titles Alhaji And Alhaja? by doyenn(m): 11:36am On Jun 20, 2007
I dnt know why a title should be warrant any discussion here.calling some1 alahji or alahja should not b your problem,let's face the religion challenges

You christian really think you are a worshipper of God,let me tell you why the traditionalist do call your religion a strange religion is because,there was not christianity i any book whatsoever even the bible does not confirm a religion called christian,it's only the followers of Jesus that are called by that name.

Jesus does not in any verse of the hly book called his religion christianity and if you have the proof you can post it.Wellyou may get it in one our your newly writting testament,a converted fact to lies book by the jesus of 2000 century
Re: Why The Titles Alhaji And Alhaja? by Nobody: 4:21pm On Jun 20, 2007
doyenn:

I dnt know why a title should be warrant any discussion here.calling someone alahji or alahja should not b your problem,let's face the religion challenges

You christian really think you are a worshipper of God,let me tell you why the traditionalist do call your religion a strange religion is because,there was not christianity i any book whatsoever [b]even the bible does not confirm a religion called christian,it's only the followers of Jesus that are called by that name.[/b]Jesus does not in any verse of the hly book called his religion christianity and if you have the proof you can post it.Wellyou may get it in one our your newly writting testament,a converted fact to lies book by the jesus of 2000 century

do you have it all together?

Just because you can make your way to an internet cafe doesn't mean you must post nonsense on a topic.
The topic is on "strangers" in Nigeria,don't deviate please. grin

1 Like

Re: Why The Titles Alhaji And Alhaja? by Nobody: 4:33pm On Jun 20, 2007
doyenn:

I dnt know why a title should be warrant any discussion here.calling someone alahji or alahja should not b your problem,let's face the religion challenges

You christian really think you are a worshipper of God,let me tell you why the traditionalist do call your religion a strange religion is because,there was not christianity i any book whatsoever even the bible does not confirm a religion called christian,it's only the followers of Jesus that are called by that name.

[b]Jesus does not in any verse of the hly book called his religion christianity and if you have the proof you can post it.[/b]Wellyou may get it in one our your newly writting testament,a converted fact to lies book by the jesus of 2000 century

Oh wretched man, blind and slow to learning, Jesus NEVER called his "religion" christianity simply because He came with NO religion. He came with the message of salvation, He came that we may no longer be slaves to sin but that He may show Himself the perfect example unto us.

2 Likes

Re: Why The Titles Alhaji And Alhaja? by olutomiwa(m): 5:07pm On Jun 20, 2007
debosky:

I always thought the name had something to do with hajj as in al'hajji male al'hajja female, now someone says it means stranger.

what is the source of your evidence?
ask your muslim friends or check your dictionary if you have any.
Re: Why The Titles Alhaji And Alhaja? by olutomiwa(m): 5:13pm On Jun 20, 2007
doyenn:

Jesus does not in any verse of the hly book called his religion christianity and if you have the proof you can post it.Wellyou may get it in one our your newly writting testament,a converted fact to lies book by the jesus of 2000 century
irrelevant NOISE[/b]if you dont have anything to contribute to the discussion,[b]SHUT YOUR TRAP
Re: Why The Titles Alhaji And Alhaja? by Lasun(m): 5:17pm On Jun 20, 2007
You guys had better come up with something better,chritiandom have embrace the practice of Alhaj and Alhaja by calling themselve JP (jerusalem Pilgrim) .I am 100% sure that you guys copiously copied that from Islam.

In any case,those affiliations;Alhah,Alhaja and JP is not a passport to heaven.

Muslims have refused to react all this while because there is no point arguing with fools and morons who will only dogmatically adhere to a very unnecessary and irrelivant issues like Affiliations
Re: Why The Titles Alhaji And Alhaja? by Nobody: 5:22pm On Jun 20, 2007
@ Lasun,

Dont be ridiculously ignorant, JP - Justice of the peace!
Re: Why The Titles Alhaji And Alhaja? by olutomiwa(m): 5:27pm On Jun 20, 2007
Lasun:

You guys had better come up with something better,chritiandom have embrace the practice of Alhaj and Alhaja by calling themselve JP (jerusalem Pilgrim) .I am 100% sure that you guys copiously copied that from Islam.

In any case,those affiliations;Alhah,Alhaja and JP is not a passport to heaven.

Muslims have refused to react all this while because there is no point arguing with fools and morons who will only dogmatically adhere to a very unnecessary and irrelivant issues like Affiliations
how many christains go about calling himself/herself JP EMMANUEL OBI or JP DAVID OJO,like the muslims do,as in the case of ALHAJI ALHAJI?the BIG QUESTION IS?WHAT IS THE MEANING OF ALHAJI AND ALHAJA?
Re: Why The Titles Alhaji And Alhaja? by Nobody: 7:54pm On Jun 20, 2007
let the clown name 5 well known JP's,lol

have you noticed most of these Muslim posters are Yorubas.
Infidel Muslims according to Hausas.
Yorubas are very smart people,how on earth did their ancestors not push Usman dan fodio off his kwashiokor ridden horse?
and puncture the tires of their dirty caravans?

Thanks to God many of these Yoruba Muslims are coming to Christ in astronomical numbers.
Many on this forum
Re: Why The Titles Alhaji And Alhaja? by olutomiwa(m): 8:13pm On Jun 20, 2007
a friend just told me dat its only in naija dat people are called alhaji and alhaja,and also fix yeye gold on their teeth,hmmmm,na wa.

1 Like

Re: Why The Titles Alhaji And Alhaja? by BlackMamba(m): 8:18pm On Jun 20, 2007
Maybe I should clarify my interest in this topic to get an informed Muslim response. My research indicates that the term refers to pilgrims. Why is it restricted to Nigerian pilgrims?
Re: Why The Titles Alhaji And Alhaja? by Nobody: 8:21pm On Jun 20, 2007
olutomiwa:

a friend just told me that its only in naija that people are called alhaji and alhaja,and also fix yeye gold on their teeth,hmmmm,na wa.

very true.
That so called gold is no gold sef
na cheap copper wey saudi people wan discard for dorty
Nigerians can be so stupid.

You need to go to Murtala airport around hajj,you'll see peoples parents and grandparents living like destitute animals at the airport  waiting to be airlifted to mecca,the whole place will be smelling like no mans business.

The toilets even become the future alhaja's dwelling place with bundles of "property" everywhere.
It's insane and embarrasing
I wonder what the visitors to naija at this time think of us

1 Like

Re: Why The Titles Alhaji And Alhaja? by olutomiwa(m): 8:32pm On Jun 20, 2007
babyosisi:

let the clown name 5 well known JP's,lol

have you noticed most of these Muslim posters are Yorubas.
Infidel Muslims according to Hausas.
Yorubas are very smart people,how on earth did their ancestors not push Usman dan fodio off his kwashiokor ridden horse?
and puncture the tires of their dirty caravans?

Thanks to God many of these Yoruba Muslims are coming to Christ in astronomical numbers.
Many on this forum

i thank God for my people.Just like you wrote the muslims in the north do not recognise or have any regard for YORUBA MUSLIMS,they see them as [b]INFIDELS AND WILL NEVER ALLOW DEM TO LEAD DEM IN prayers[/b]and my people no wan learn,them dey do follow follow like zombies.
Re: Why The Titles Alhaji And Alhaja? by mrmayor(m): 8:48pm On Jun 20, 2007
Listen up. Crusaders and Mujahadeens,I want a good clean fight, No Mercy.Lets get the yabbing started.
Re: Why The Titles Alhaji And Alhaja? by barikade: 9:13pm On Jun 20, 2007
mrmayor:

Listen up. Crusaders and Mujahadeens,I want a good clean fight, No Mercy.Lets the yabbing started.

grin grin grin You're such a crack!
Re: Why The Titles Alhaji And Alhaja? by samEyah: 11:12pm On Sep 12, 2009
I must confess, when i read some of the comments on this forum, i was very sad. There is so much hate, intolerance and misunderstanding about other tribes and religions. There are ways of getting your points across without being abusive and petty. I am a yoruba muslim whose parents have gone on pilgrimage and do not address themselves or allow other people to address them as Alhaji and Alhaja. And i know quite a number of hausa 'alhajis and alhajas', i just think its a really bad trend borne of a mix of ignorance and wanting to show off which are traits that alot of nigerians, whether muslim, igbo, pentecostal, yoruba, catholic or hausa possess. So please, stop generalising.
Re: Why The Titles Alhaji And Alhaja? by Abuzola(m): 11:34pm On Sep 12, 2009
See noise, wow so osisi and david were old customer of Islam, see their animosity, that was two years ago. And me a new born am making my noise and they consider it an insult. God will do justice to this
Re: Why The Titles Alhaji And Alhaja? by Abuzola(m): 11:41pm On Sep 12, 2009
Al haji o r Al haja is derived from Al HAJJ which equally means a pilgrim/pilgram, likewise Hajji

A male Stranger in arabic means Ghareeb and a female stranger means Ghareeba

1 Like

Re: Why The Titles Alhaji And Alhaja? by Recognise: 2:50am On Sep 13, 2009
Abuzola:

See noise, wow so Osisi and David were old customers of Islam . . .

grin smiley grin

Abuzola:

. . . see their animosity, that was two years ago . . .

grin smiley grin

Abuzola:

. . . And me a new born [/b]am [b]making my noise and they consider it an insult. God will do justice to this

grin smiley grin
Re: Why The Titles Alhaji And Alhaja? by focused123(m): 11:30am On Oct 19, 2009
They are still strangers in naija while they await transport from Nigeria to hell then to jannat

I can prove that they first pass through hell before going to the Islamic paradise.
so no name callings please

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why The Titles Alhaji And Alhaja? by LadyT(f): 11:34am On Oct 19, 2009
bloody hell its a simple question why the need for Jihad?
Re: Why The Titles Alhaji And Alhaja? by focused123(m): 11:42am On Oct 19, 2009
The people who bear the title Alhaji and Alhaja are stupid ignorant fool.

How can you be a stranger in your own country ?

There are some of these Islamist, who find it insulting if you don't call them Alhaji.

God have mercy grin grin grin grin.

1 Like

Re: Why The Titles Alhaji And Alhaja? by focused123(m): 12:10pm On Oct 19, 2009
bloody hell its a simple question why the need for Jihad?

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why The Titles Alhaji And Alhaja? by Abuzola(m): 5:31pm On Oct 19, 2009
@focus, you sound like an idiot, how can alhaji means a stranger, even a dumb knows that Al-hajji has to do with pilgrimage, a male stranger in arabic is Ghareeb and a female Ghareeba. So Stop propagating lies

(1) (2) (Reply)

Huawei Donates Cow To Abuja Mosque - PICS / A Comprehensive Self Treatment Using Prophetic Medicine / Three American Lecturers In Atiku's University Convert To Islam In Adamawa. PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.