Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,102 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:00 AM

Ambrose Alli University Shut Indefinitely Over Students’ Protest - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Ambrose Alli University Shut Indefinitely Over Students’ Protest (656 Views)

Niger Delta University Closed Indefinitely Over Protest / Adamawa State University Shut Down Indefinitely / Anambra University Shut Over Killing Of Female Student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Ambrose Alli University Shut Indefinitely Over Students’ Protest by ayex0001: 12:09am On Feb 20, 2011
Ambrose Alli University (AAU), Ekpoma was yesterday shut indefinitely by authorities of the school following violent protest by the students which entered its second day.

The protest by the students paralysed all form of commercial activities within the Edo state government owned institution. Banks, business premises, schools and other commercial ventures were forced to close down, just as motorists had to carry green leaves on their vehicles as sign of solidarity with the students.

It was gathered that the students had on Monday prevented workers from going to their duty posts as a result of lack of potable water at the institution following the breakdown of the dam which supplies water to the University. The dam was constructed via funds donated from the European Union (EU).

The university authority hurriedly reacted by dissolving the Student Union Government (SUG) executive council and arrested its President, Itote Damisa, who was allegedly released shortly after. Prior to his release , the students got infuriated and embarked on a violent protest which led to destruction of property on the campus, just as the students allegedly placed a mock coffin at the campus’s security office. The police had a hectic time controlling the protest as a result of the massive number of protesting students, as several bonfire posts were made within the Ekpoma town by the angry students who reportedly pulled down some structures at the market square.

Apart from the initial grievances over lack of water supply to the campus, the students are also protesting the high school fees being charged by the authorities of the higher institution. The sacked student union earlier in the week ordered the students to pay half of the newly increased fees announced by the school authority, lamenting the 250 per cent increase .

Responding to the crisis, the management of the school argued that the students haven’t paid the school fees for the last session, and therefore it is irresponsible of them to complain about the new fees. The Vice Chancellor of the University, Sam Uniumikogbo however confirmed the closure by the management, saying that it was done to prevent other people from hijacking the protest. “We want to prevent a situation whereby hoodlums would join them and loot,” he said.
Re: Ambrose Alli University Shut Indefinitely Over Students’ Protest by DrEkehnde(m): 7:31am On Feb 20, 2011
All you need to do is to call me, i m a senior lecturer, i help students in admission, just call me(MY NUMBER IS AT THE LEFT HAND SIDE,UNDER MY NAME OR BELOW THIS MESSAGE) now for admission help b4 its too late

(1) (Reply)

Esut Pre-degree Form Is Still On Sale / Admission Into Shenyang Aerospace University & Other Partnership Universities In / Please Review My Educational Site.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.