Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,140 members, 7,811,207 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:35 AM

The Fear Of Death Is The Beginning Of Wisdom For The Atheist - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Fear Of Death Is The Beginning Of Wisdom For The Atheist (1732 Views)

How Can The Atheist Me Be Happily Married To My Christian Wife? See My REPLY / The Atheist's Prayer / Is The Atheist's Mind Free Enough To Question Atheism? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Fear Of Death Is The Beginning Of Wisdom For The Atheist by jesusjnr2020(m): 10:07am On Aug 29, 2020
The Fear Of Death Is The Beginning Of Wisdom For The Atheist

Is there any atheist here who is ready to lay down his life for atheism's sake?

If you're such a atheist, please kindly indicate to prove that atheism was not only meant for cowards but also those who are ready to pay the ultimate price for their beliefs.

Although I had noticed over time the palpable fear in some of Nairaland's most passionate atheists when it came to the subject of death, but never realized the how bad it was, it was until I gave five reasons in a recent thread why becoming an atheist was not on my agenda, one of which was that none of the greatest scientists in history was an atheist, despite the way they are usually found posing with science using it to justify their atheistic beliefs and sentiments against God as though they were the custodians of it.

It was the excuses some of them were coming up with since they couldn't dispute that glaring fact, that got me completely flabbergasted.

Now one said that Newton and many other scientists were compelled to become "Christians" for fear of being persecuted or killed by Christians, so that he wouldn't blame them for doing that.

Another concurred saying that Christianity of those days used to be radical like Muslims of today, that no one dared opposed Christianity then, citing how "Galileo suffered a lot in the hands of you Christians", among other things, so that with all that persecution, "would one not choose to be a Christian to save his life?" And I was shocked to my bones marrows.

So do they mean that none of the greatest scientists in history was an atheist because they became religious or Christians because they were afraid of death?

If really so, that means the fear of death is the beginning of wisdom for the atheists.

Perhaps what they failed to realize was the fact that the persecution those atheists faced that made them abandon atheism was nothing compared to that which the early Christians faced, so if that were to be the case with the Christians, there perhaps wouldn't even be any Christians today needless say Christian scientists. For virtually all of the twelves disciples of Jesus were killed, some beheaded, even John the brother of James, who wasn't killed, only remained alive because he miraculously survived an assassination attempt after he was boiled in a pot of oil, as he seemed to have an immunity against death.

But despite christians facing such extent of persecution and death, they defied the full might of the Roman empire even without resorting to use of weapons, which is what confounds many about Christianity and distinguishes them from the rest. Because instead of Christians abandoning the faith as a result, they kept multiplying and the church kept marching on stronger. That's how Christianity survived the worst to become undisputed as the largest religion on Earth today.

So for the same people here who claim to be atheists, who are often seen passionately attacking Christians because of their belief in God especially on the basis of science, would still be using the excuse of many atheists becoming Christians then because of fear of persecution and death, as the reason why no single one of the greatest scientist in history was an atheist is as ridiculous as they could possibly come.

Doesn't that expose the foolishness of atheism?

Atheists fear death so much that they would abandon atheism to become Christians, yet they're not afraid to launch ceaseless attacks at Christians because of their belief in God their Creator who gave them life, and hence could easily retrieve it at any moment? They ought to thank God for His mercies and patience with them, the same way they attack Him even though they claim not to believe in His existence.

This proves that the fear of death is the beginning of wisdom for the atheists, because they would be forming God doesn't exist, but it's only when death comes close that their eyes would become clear for them to see the foolishness in atheism, and consequently how foolish it was to die because of it, hence their decision to quickly abandon atheism to choose Christianity when faced with death, just to preserve their lives.

It's quite baffling though why 'many atheists" would have to wait til that point before they become wise when they could become wiser earlier.

God bless.

1 Share

Re: The Fear Of Death Is The Beginning Of Wisdom For The Atheist by jesusjnr1: 7:00am On Sep 20, 2020
The fear of death.
Re: The Fear Of Death Is The Beginning Of Wisdom For The Atheist by jesusjnr2020(m): 11:18am On Sep 23, 2020
They're so afraid of death, they would dump atheism without thinking of it if it comes to that.
Re: The Fear Of Death Is The Beginning Of Wisdom For The Atheist by jekagadura: 4:41pm On Sep 23, 2020
Wow bro...this is loaded...

1 Like

Re: The Fear Of Death Is The Beginning Of Wisdom For The Atheist by jesusjnr2020(m): 11:05am On Sep 24, 2020
jekagadura:
Wow bro...this is loaded...
Lol! I hope so. Thanks.
Re: The Fear Of Death Is The Beginning Of Wisdom For The Atheist by DeusXmachina: 1:31pm On Sep 24, 2020
Death is just the eternal sleep and nothing to fear.

Though the fear of dying is deeply ingrained in every living creature and not unique to humans.
To some faith is the only thing that helps them face their fear of death and the uncertainty that comes with it.

You seem to assume that atheism is an organized belief or disbelief like an alternate religion of sorts, which is a false assumption. It is simply a state one finds themselves in when they are no longer convinced by the stories and claims of any religion and hence don't believe in the gods of those religions, but may still maintain a sense of agnosticism on the greater question on where did the universe come from?

It is this that makes a great deal of scientist likely deists.

An atheist is an individual and may or may not later be convinced of a particular faith and return to religion though. Same as how a Christian, Muslim, Hindu etc. May likely change religion or abandon it all together later in life.

1 Like

Re: The Fear Of Death Is The Beginning Of Wisdom For The Atheist by Dtruthspeaker: 3:01pm On Sep 24, 2020
DeusXmachina:

Though the fear of dying is deeply ingrained in every living creature and not unique to humans.
To some faith is the only thing that helps them face their fear of death and the uncertainty that comes with it.

That Fear is your "Check Engine Failure" warning, in this case "Check Soul" which God has given all men that they may know and see that sure death is before them.

That if they desire not to die, then they should take all the steps to Acquire Life.

And just like the death, when you have Life you shall also know.

For Life is the Cure for death!
Re: The Fear Of Death Is The Beginning Of Wisdom For The Atheist by Dtruthspeaker: 3:13pm On Sep 24, 2020
DeusXmachina:

It is simply a state one finds themselves in when they are no longer convinced by the stories and claims of any religion and hence don't believe in the gods of those religions,

The word is state of powerlessness and unbelief because of reality has defied all calculations and planning, coupled with helplessness in changing the outcome plus refusal to believe, because God did not answer your prayers and petitions when you requested as you have been misled to know!
Re: The Fear Of Death Is The Beginning Of Wisdom For The Atheist by DeusXmachina: 3:55pm On Sep 24, 2020
Dtruthspeaker:

That Fear is your "Check Engine Failure" warning, in this case "Check Soul" which God has given all men that they may know and see that sure death is before them.

That if they desire not to die, then they should take all the steps to Acquire Life.

And just like the death, when you have Life you shall also know.

For Life is the Cure for death!

I don't know about you, but I don't desire to be eternal and live forever. Existence it self is suffering.

The thought of being non existence does scare people, but what is there to be scared of? From the void of nothingness from which you came, to it you shall return. A sleep with no dreams and no waking up. The state you were at before you were born.

And the matter and bio-mass you are composed of will be recycled into the earth.

1 Like

Re: The Fear Of Death Is The Beginning Of Wisdom For The Atheist by DeusXmachina: 4:26pm On Sep 24, 2020
Dtruthspeaker:

The word is state of powerlessness and unbelief because of reality has defied all calculations and planning, coupled with helplessness in changing the outcome plus refusal to believe, because God did not answer your prayers and petitions when you requested as you have been misled to know!
You put too much emotion into it.
Yes, some find themselves in such a state because their prayers were never answered, or are emotional about something tragic happening to them, but I personally find such a reasons to be shallow.

To the rest it's more of like growing up, it's like being a child and believing the stories your parents tell you, about the Ojuju/monsters that will catch you when you misbehave, but you later figure out there is no such thing, while you can still understand why they made you think such a thing so as to keep you on good behavior, you can not go on living your life thinking such things are factually true or real.

And a person does not simply choose to refuse to believe in something, you do not believe in Zeus or Osiris because you understand they are false and there is no sufficient evidence to prove to their existence or to them them being true gods to convince you to believe in them and even if I were to point a gun at you and tell you to believe in those gods you will never, you could lie to save your life, but will you never inside of you believe in something as unsubstantiated as that, but from point of view of the believers of those gods you are the insane one for not believing in their gods, despite the abundance of what they would seem to think is credible evidence.

4 Likes

Re: The Fear Of Death Is The Beginning Of Wisdom For The Atheist by Judybash93(m): 4:53pm On Sep 24, 2020
What's your definition of atheism? Let's begin with that
Re: The Fear Of Death Is The Beginning Of Wisdom For The Atheist by Dtruthspeaker: 6:16pm On Sep 24, 2020
DeusXmachina:

I don't know about you, but I don't desire to be eternal and live forever. Existence it self is suffering.

I understand your choice here and why as you said it is full of suffering.

And herein lies the difference, I love Life and I love Living and I am enjoying everyday of Living and I want more of it because I have found Who Owns and Gives All these Great Great Good Things that I have got and will get.

Yes, all the days of many a man are dust and his days are full of travail, BUT IT IS NOT SO WITH ME FOR AS IT IS WRITTEN The Righteous Shall Never Beg nor suffer want.

Therefore, I want more Life and Life Eternal!

DeusXmachina:

The thought of being non existence does scare people, but what is there to be scared of? From the void of nothingness from which you came, to it you shall return. A sleep with no dreams and no waking up. The state you were at before you were born.

And the matter and bio-mass you are composed of will be recycled into the earth.

Ah! And you are very wrong here! I see how they die with great fear when a plane is attacked with turbulence or when their drivers drive dangerously or how an Okada nearly knocked them down.

Oh, I see them die so many times a day.

Why are they afraid of dying if they are simply going to nothingness as you say?

I tell you the answer it is because their soul is warning them that their dying is not good but a horrible horrible thing that if they had good sense or wisdom, they would know that they do not want it.
Re: The Fear Of Death Is The Beginning Of Wisdom For The Atheist by Dtruthspeaker: 6:55pm On Sep 24, 2020
DeusXmachina:

You put too much emotion into it.
Yes, some find themselves in such a state because their prayers were never answered, or are emotional about something tragic happening to them, but I personally find such a reasons to be shallow.

To the rest it's more of like growing up, it's like being a child and believing the stories your parents tell you, about the Ojuju/monsters that will catch you when you misbehave, but you later figure out there is no such thing, while you can still understand why they made you think such a thing so as to keep you on good behavior, you can not go on living your life thinking such things are factually true or real.

And a person does not simply choose to refuse to believe in something, you do not believe in Zeus or Osiris because you understand they are false and there is no sufficient evidence to prove to their existence or to them them being true gods to convince you to believe in them and even if I were to point a gun at you and tell you to believe in those gods you will never, you could lie to save your life, but will you never inside of you believe in something as unsubstantiated as that, but from point of view of the believers of those gods you are the insane one for not believing in their gods, despite the abundance of what they would seem to think is credible evidence.

Ah! Interesting perspective but by every standard of Credible Evidence Given in Proof of a Fact, The Proof of God Satisfies it whether Real Evidence eg Egypt and Isreal is there for all to see and they have never denied the fact of their roles in the Bible at the Material Time or Oral Evidence or Documentary Evidence.

But in all of these strivings, these struggles itself proves one part of the equation which is that we are creations like iPhone and Camry and we are in our cardboard boxes and containers (the world) and neither did anyone of us create ourselves and as we have seen that it is A Law that every creation like us has and must have a Creator, even though the creation may not know it's Creator like the iPhone and Camry can Never know if you are the one who created it.

1 Like

Re: The Fear Of Death Is The Beginning Of Wisdom For The Atheist by jesusjnr2020(m): 1:17pm On Sep 25, 2020
DeusXmachina:
Death is just the eternal sleep and nothing to fear.

You seem to assume that atheism is an organized belief or disbelief like an alternate religion of sorts, which is a false assumption. It is simply a state one finds themselves in when they are no longer convinced by the stories and claims of any religion and hence don't believe in the gods of those religions, but may still maintain a sense of agnosticism on the greater question on where did the universe come from?

It is this that makes a great deal of scientist likely deists.

An atheist is an individual and may or may not later be convinced of a particular faith and return to religion though. Same as how a Christian, Muslim, Hindu etc. May likely change religion or abandon it all together later in life.
Lol! Continue deceiving yourselves.

Atheists are the biggest cowards the world has ever known!
Re: The Fear Of Death Is The Beginning Of Wisdom For The Atheist by DeusXmachina: 1:29pm On Sep 25, 2020
jesusjnr2020:
Lol! Continue deceiving yourselves.

Atheists are the biggest cowards the world has ever known!
Really is that all you can say?
Re: The Fear Of Death Is The Beginning Of Wisdom For The Atheist by jesusjnr2020(m): 1:31pm On Sep 25, 2020
DeusXmachina:

Really is that all you can say?
Did you read the Op at all?

If you did, you'd know that you had no case.
Re: The Fear Of Death Is The Beginning Of Wisdom For The Atheist by sonmvayina(m): 1:37pm On Sep 25, 2020
Death is an illusion.. Life is all there is..

1 Like

Re: The Fear Of Death Is The Beginning Of Wisdom For The Atheist by DeusXmachina: 6:26pm On Sep 25, 2020
jesusjnr2020:

Did you read the Op at all?

If you did, you'd know that you had no case.
Two can play at such a game.

Did you read my post? If you did you'd know that you had no case.

And you opened this thread as a response to the post of some other people, how about inviting them to hear what they think about the op?
Re: The Fear Of Death Is The Beginning Of Wisdom For The Atheist by jesusjnr2020(m): 3:14am On Sep 27, 2020
sonmvayina:
Death is an illusion.. Life is all there is..
It's understandable because death's life to you.
Re: The Fear Of Death Is The Beginning Of Wisdom For The Atheist by LordReed(m): 7:20am On Sep 27, 2020
Where do you think that medicine came from? Yes it came the wisdom the fear of death (according to you) gives. Meanwhile you probably take medicine when you are ill. LMAO.

1 Like

Re: The Fear Of Death Is The Beginning Of Wisdom For The Atheist by jesusjnr2020(m): 7:26am On Sep 27, 2020
LordReed:
Where do you think that medicine came from? Yes it came the wisdom the fear of death (according to you) gives. Meanwhile you probably take medicine when you are ill. LMAO.
Fear, fear atheist!

Tomorrow you're be singing Jesus is Lord for fear of your lives?

Bunch of cowards!
Re: The Fear Of Death Is The Beginning Of Wisdom For The Atheist by Gabe427: 7:34am On Sep 27, 2020
i don't know why I found the ops write up ...some what short sighted

1 Like

Re: The Fear Of Death Is The Beginning Of Wisdom For The Atheist by LordReed(m): 7:38am On Sep 27, 2020
jesusjnr2020:
Fear, fear atheist!

Tomorrow you're be singing Jesus is Lord for fear of your lives?

Bunch of cowards!

LMAO! So you agree you guys will become murderous in the future? Bwahahahahaha!

1 Like

Re: The Fear Of Death Is The Beginning Of Wisdom For The Atheist by LordReed(m): 7:41am On Sep 27, 2020
Gabe427:

And hypocritical. Here is someone who is afraid of an unseen god throwing him into an unseen eternal torment as well as an unseen devil attempting to lure him to that eternal torment, calling other people "fear fear". Bwahahahahaha. It's just too rich. LMFAO!

2 Likes

Re: The Fear Of Death Is The Beginning Of Wisdom For The Atheist by sonmvayina(m): 10:55am On Sep 27, 2020
jesusjnr2020:
It's understandable because death's life to you.

Life and death is one and the same thing..because it is an ilusion ,God is going to destroy her..

We are spiritual beings dwelling within a physical body fashioned from the dust of the earth..at death the spirit returns to God and the body returns to the earth where it was taken..ecclesiatics 12:7 and psalm 104:29-31
Re: The Fear Of Death Is The Beginning Of Wisdom For The Atheist by sonmvayina(m): 11:00am On Sep 27, 2020
Gabe427:

Thats because it is...
Re: The Fear Of Death Is The Beginning Of Wisdom For The Atheist by Dantedasz(m): 1:43pm On Sep 27, 2020
LordReed:

And hypocritical. Here is someone who is afraid of an unseen god throwing him into an unseen eternal torment as well as an unseen devil attempting to lure him to that eternal torment, calling other people "fear fear". Bwahahahahaha. It's just too rich. LMFAO!

Lordreed,
Naa waa ooo!
Everything naa unseen.....
HILARIOUS!!! grin grin grin
Re: The Fear Of Death Is The Beginning Of Wisdom For The Atheist by jesusjnr2020(m): 1:47pm On Sep 27, 2020
LordReed:

Every group, religious or irreligious, have extremists, and by extremists, I mean murderers, those that would go to extent of killing those who do not belong or object to their ideals of their group. Some more than the others depending on the principles of the group.

So the threat to one's life for their beliefs or views is not exclusive to you atheists, but history has it that you're the biggest cowards of all time.
Re: The Fear Of Death Is The Beginning Of Wisdom For The Atheist by jesusjnr2020(m): 1:48pm On Sep 27, 2020
Gabe427:
It's because you suffer from truth-blindness.
Re: The Fear Of Death Is The Beginning Of Wisdom For The Atheist by jesusjnr2020(m): 1:51pm On Sep 27, 2020
LordReed:

Yeah! Hypocritical like little Leah Sharibu was to the much dreaded bokoharam terrorists.

Such fraudsters.

Anyone that falls for your lies are even bigger fools!
Re: The Fear Of Death Is The Beginning Of Wisdom For The Atheist by DeusXmachina: 2:31pm On Sep 27, 2020
LordReed:

I didn't want to out right bash the guy, but he shouldn't talk when Christians get attacked and forcefullly convert to Islam to save their own lives.

So the Christians in Muhammad's time were cowards by his definition.
Re: The Fear Of Death Is The Beginning Of Wisdom For The Atheist by LordReed(m): 2:34pm On Sep 27, 2020
Dantedasz:

Lordreed,
Naa waa ooo!
Everything naa unseen.....
HILARIOUS!!! grin grin grin

No be true? LMFAO !

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Do Most Africans Worship Greco-roman Gods, Or Rather, Dead White Men? / Why Is The Bible Edited And Revised? / Why Are Africans So Religious But Have So Many Problems?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.