Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,472 members, 7,823,099 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:34 AM

What Is Actually The Difference Between A Ruler And A Leader? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is Actually The Difference Between A Ruler And A Leader? (22300 Views)

Traditional Ruler And Two Others Arraigned Over Alleged Rape And Robbery / Why Do Nigerians Celebrate Whenever A Leader Dies ? / Is Nigeria Actually The Giant Of Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Actually The Difference Between A Ruler And A Leader? by maimalari: 10:13am On Feb 20, 2011
During the military era, "rulers" is often used to refer to the government of the day. In the democratic era,"leaders" is being used. But what amazed me was the description of Jonathan as a ruler by an international media. Is there really a difference between the two?
Re: What Is Actually The Difference Between A Ruler And A Leader? by Ikengawo: 10:20am On Feb 20, 2011
a ruler owns his subjects. Meaning they are accountable to him but he isn't accountable to them. the same relationship a person has with property.

a leader is someone that carries a collective from one point to another. you can lead someone to prosperity the same way you can lead someone into poverty, both are leaders because they are the prime navigators.

a ruler is thus an owner and a leader is a driver. a leader is only an authority because a collective has chosen to follow their path but a ruler moves the collective where they see fit as his property.

This is why i cringe when i hear governors and presidential hopefuls talk about 'ruling' nigeria or their respective states. It shows a weak understanding of the english language and democracy.

This is why americans don't call their presidents 'rulers' like nigerians do, they don't call their tenures 'rules' the same way we say "when obasanjo was ruling" or "when yar adua was ruling" or "we want the south to rule" so on and so forth.

Root Words
[size=14pt]Rule: To command
Lead: To guide
[/size]
Re: What Is Actually The Difference Between A Ruler And A Leader? by maimalari: 10:54am On Feb 20, 2011
Ikengawo:

a ruler owns his subjects. Meaning they are accountable to him but he isn't accountable to them. the same relationship a person has with property.

a leader is someone that carries a collective from one point to another. you can lead someone to prosperity the same way you can lead someone into poverty, both are leaders because they are the prime navigators.

a ruler is thus an owner and a leader is a driver. a leader is only an authority because a collective has chosen to follow their path but a ruler moves the collective where they see fit as his property.

This is why i cringe when i hear governors and presidential hopefuls talk about 'ruling' nigeria or their respective states. It shows a weak understanding of the english language and democracy.

This is why americans don't call their presidents 'rulers' like nigerians do, they don't call their tenures 'rules' the same way we say "when obasanjo was ruling" or "when yar adua was ruling" or "we want the south to rule" so on and so forth.

Root Words
[size=14pt]Rule: To command
Lead: To guide
[/size]

Thanks. From the above,I have a better understanding. We as a nation deserves leadership and not "rulership".
Re: What Is Actually The Difference Between A Ruler And A Leader? by Ikengawo: 11:13am On Feb 20, 2011
exactly, but due to our leaders poor understanding of english, they constantly use the word "ruler" as does our populace. I was raised in America so when i hear this i cringe a little.

it's like goodluck jonathan announcing that he's running for dictator of nigeria.
Re: What Is Actually The Difference Between A Ruler And A Leader? by redsun(m): 11:42am On Feb 20, 2011
It is not just word that is confusing,in practice nigerian politicians are despotic and unaccountable rulers who imposes themselves on gullible and placid nigerians. .

(1) (Reply)

ABSU Gang Molestation Suspects Unmasked / Oshiomhole, Tinubu, Ganduje, APC Leaders Meet Ibrahim Shekarau Today / Mimiko Declares For 2019 Presidency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.