Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,319 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:15 AM

Is A Reverend Father Qualified To Give Advice On Marital Crisis? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is A Reverend Father Qualified To Give Advice On Marital Crisis? (15738 Views)

Reverend Father Enyinnaya: How I Have Survived Women’s Pressure For 32 Years / See The Church Where A Reverend Father Was Spotted Preaching That Has Gone Viral / Reverend Father And Sisters Drinking Beer (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is A Reverend Father Qualified To Give Advice On Marital Crisis? by FlipModeSquade(m): 9:59am On Aug 30, 2020
AngusTV:
It all depends on the knowledge he has. He could have read books, attended seminars, etc to equip himself with the information on how to solve marital issues
The DOING is worth a thousand words..
No amount of books makes you an expert on a journey you have never embarked on.. shocked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is A Reverend Father Qualified To Give Advice On Marital Crisis? by FlipModeSquade(m): 10:01am On Aug 30, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:
MANY OF THEM RIGHT FROM TIME KEEP ACTIVE SEXUAL RELATIONSHIPS, SOMETIMES WITH MULTIPLE PARTNERS. SO I'M SURE IT'S POSSIBLE TO OBTAIN AN ADVICE OR TWO FROM SOME ESPECIALLY THOSE THAT ENGAGE IN HETEROSEXUAL RELATIONSHIPS AND HAVE KIDS INSTEAD OF BEING HOMOSEXUALS LIKE THE REST 40%.
And you think keeping a sexual relationship is the same thing as being married?
Many were in relationships for ten years and divorced within a year of being married.. shocked
Re: Is A Reverend Father Qualified To Give Advice On Marital Crisis? by Sanchez01: 10:02am On Aug 30, 2020
Cantonese:

Ha! Do you read your bible very well? I hope you are not mistaking Paul advise against adultery and fornication as "advise against marrying"?
I do. I have over 5 commentaries on my study desk as a matter of fact.

1 Corinthians 7:1-2 (NIV)

Now for the matters you wrote about: It is good for a man not to marry.[1]

2. But since there is so much immorality, each man should have his own wife, and each woman her own husband.

THE PURPOSE OF MARRIAGE IS NOT TO CURB ADULTERY OR FORNICATION. God wills it for companionship and mutual friendship. This is totally in contrast with what Paul admonished.

According to Paul, as long as you can control your flesh and you are not given to lust, IT IS BETTER NOT TO MARRY. O wrong.

Read God's perspective on marriage and put it up against Paul's. Please use popular commentaries, including Adam Clarke's.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is A Reverend Father Qualified To Give Advice On Marital Crisis? by DOnlooker(m): 10:03am On Aug 30, 2020
All these people saying a priest should not give marriage counselling because he doesn't have experience or has never been married, shebi a medical doctor has to experience cancer and all the diseases they cure before they can be qualified to treat them? Abi a psychiatrist has to run mad first before he can be qualified to treat mentally disturbed patients?
To become a catholic priest is not like attending a bible college for a couple of years. It is a long journey that involves deep studies both on the religious level and the layman's life because it is the laity that he will be ministering to. Marriage counselling is part of their study curriculum.
So yes, a catholic priest is well qualified to give marriage counselling based both on qualifications and knowledge of the numerous experiences he has witnessed from the other parishioners whom he has previously counseled. Besides, the younger priests are always free to consult the older ones or even their respective bishops for guidance when needed.

7 Likes

Re: Is A Reverend Father Qualified To Give Advice On Marital Crisis? by NaijaFutbol: 10:06am On Aug 30, 2020
Kiddo01:
I've been thinking about this and so I decided to bring it here.

A friend of mine has been having issues with his wife for some time now. He said that the Parish Priest has advised both of them but without positive result.

But I keep wondering, is it that both parties do not want to settle their differences or is the reverend father actually giving the needed council? Is the reverend father who has not married before qualified to give advice on marital crisis? What do you think

If Jesus and the unmarried apostles were qualified why not?

Anyway, Nigerians should always give to Ceaser what belongs to Ceaser. If the problem between the spouses are legal or non-religious, they should be seeing a marriage counselor or legal advice.

Thanks
Re: Is A Reverend Father Qualified To Give Advice On Marital Crisis? by 4tomandchi: 10:06am On Aug 30, 2020
The foundation of everything always underline the out come of the matter. When they were about to get married did they seek advice from the priest before their first kiss, sex or even deciding to marry each other? No! So why now? From experience any relationship that is getting a third party involve is bound to suffer. You two know your selves better than anyone else do do the best thing to do is to settle your difference at home. Marriage is not a do or die affair if the both of you agree that it's no longer working between you then go your separate ways. I can't come and kill my self look around you how many widows do you see and why is that? wink
Re: Is A Reverend Father Qualified To Give Advice On Marital Crisis? by patani(m): 10:08am On Aug 30, 2020
chiommy123:
he can advice based on others experience they've shared with him. from the word. the couples can as well involve other experienced married Christians. so yes he's qualified

Based on biblical principles
Re: Is A Reverend Father Qualified To Give Advice On Marital Crisis? by wilfred101: 10:12am On Aug 30, 2020
Kiddo01:

A friend of mine has been having issues with his wife for some time now. He said that the Parish Priest has advised both of them but without positive result.

But I keep wondering, is it that both parties do not want to settle their differences or is the reverend father actually giving the needed council? Is the reverend father who has not married before qualified to give advice on marital crisis? What do you think
yes and he can only do that through the gift of the Holy spirit because as for experience, he ain't got any.
Kiddo01:

yes and he can only do that through the gift of the Holy spirit because as for experience, he ain't got any.
Kiddo01:

Re: Is A Reverend Father Qualified To Give Advice On Marital Crisis? by Brewmaker: 10:16am On Aug 30, 2020
Rev.father wey konji wan kill
Re: Is A Reverend Father Qualified To Give Advice On Marital Crisis? by kevoh(m): 10:17am On Aug 30, 2020
From the perspective of a married person, 1 million qualified married Reverend Fathers people can not help your marriage if the couple themselves are not willing to settle their differences themselves. If they were willing, they wouldn't need the services of a third party in the first place.

You see these vices called Ego, Pride, Bitterness, laziness, lack of communication and financial issues are the major causes of downfall in marriages.

Some people are bitter humans that they see every innocent actions of their spouse, in-laws and neighbors as reasons to quarrel. They assume every body is their enemy.

Some will let Ego and pride kill them. Humility is never in their books. When one spouse offends the other, just to say "you are sorry' is an herculean task. Some just to accept apology is wahala. Yet will go on to vow for better for worse in church.
Re: Is A Reverend Father Qualified To Give Advice On Marital Crisis? by Shellsploit: 10:24am On Aug 30, 2020
That is the job of the couple's wedding sponsor.
Re: Is A Reverend Father Qualified To Give Advice On Marital Crisis? by KLand(m): 10:27am On Aug 30, 2020
Any one who has the right knowledge can give marital advice. Single or married. Reverend father or not.

Paul in the Bible was not married but he was the one that taught marriage most in the New Testament.

I'm married now. But I have been giving marital counseling from my single days.

1 Like

Re: Is A Reverend Father Qualified To Give Advice On Marital Crisis? by Gmajor(m): 10:30am On Aug 30, 2020
Charleys:
It's very hard to meet a Reverend father and get marital advice from him.

I believe you are referring to meeting a priest.

A priest is qualified to give Marital advice. Priests study a lot.

What is the difference between a reverend father and a priest?
Re: Is A Reverend Father Qualified To Give Advice On Marital Crisis? by Gmajor(m): 10:32am On Aug 30, 2020
post=93380419:
Talking from experience about one of us @[b][/b] that is into Marriage counseling,
This is what she has to contribute to the topic.....

These are some of the advantages of Marriage counseling...
It helps build a solid, biblical foundation for marriage.
A lot of time is spent in Scripture looking at how biblical ideas apply to marriage.

It helps couples begin a dialogue.
Topics like communication, finances, sex and parenting need to be discussed before marriage.

It points out areas of concern in the relationship. No relationship is perfect.
Potential problems, conflict and struggles should be addressed.It preserves couples from temptation. 

Getting engaged can result in couples rationalizing premarital sex.
Premarital sex and other temptations need to be discussed.It prepares couples for the marriage, and not just the wedding day.
Couples can have a tendency to focus on the wedding day and not on the marriage.

An important part of premarital counseling is getting the couple to have serious conversations about their upcoming marriage.
Marriages are filled with common problems that most couples experience, and each couple has certain strengths and weaknesses that require a certain approach.

Premarital counseling explores each person’s faith and history.
It helps the couple examine personal convictions, expectations for their future and responsibilities they will have.
More than anything, premarital counseling aims to produce a marriage that is biblical and God-honoring.

This is our contribution to the topic,
About Reverend Fathers Qualification,
We leave other members to Comment on that!

We Rise!

Off-point as usual

1 Like

Re: Is A Reverend Father Qualified To Give Advice On Marital Crisis? by Tonymario58: 10:32am On Aug 30, 2020
Advice is better given from a neutral point of view.
They're so qualified as any happily married couple because as a result experiences accumulated over time from their trainings , different postings to different parishes, cultures and peoples backed up with laid down principles of good Christian and catholic marriage and family.
Re: Is A Reverend Father Qualified To Give Advice On Marital Crisis? by wunmi590(m): 10:33am On Aug 30, 2020
Kiddo01:

lol, books and any publication can't help, I've seen a book written on how to be rich and the author is looking for sponsorship

Whalai, you are funny grin
Re: Is A Reverend Father Qualified To Give Advice On Marital Crisis? by BuddhaPalm(m): 10:34am On Aug 30, 2020
Kiddo01:

Well, he'll advice you based on scripture and catholic doctrine.

A good example will be judges...

They are not experts in the many different domains that appear before them for judgement. But they can pass rulings based on the law.

1 Like

Re: Is A Reverend Father Qualified To Give Advice On Marital Crisis? by MrBigiman: 10:41am On Aug 30, 2020
Most of the mysteries about Christian marriage was given by Apostle Paul in the bible. Marriage is a spiritual mystery. So if a Reverend Father has gained enough scriptural knowledge, he should be able to counsel married couples.
Re: Is A Reverend Father Qualified To Give Advice On Marital Crisis? by ictplotter(m): 10:45am On Aug 30, 2020
AngusTV:
It all depends on the knowledge he has. He could have read books, attended seminars, etc to equip himself with the information on how to solve marital issues
Experience remains the best teacher... pls forget books and seminars.
Re: Is A Reverend Father Qualified To Give Advice On Marital Crisis? by taiwo92(m): 10:46am On Aug 30, 2020
Rubbish can u give what u don't have
Re: Is A Reverend Father Qualified To Give Advice On Marital Crisis? by orekelewa09(f): 10:51am On Aug 30, 2020
MrBigiman:
Most of the mysteries about Christian marriage was given by Apostle Paul in the bible. Marriage is a spiritual mystery. So if a Reverend Father has gained enough scriptural knowledge, he should be able to counsel marrie
d couples.

Imagine! Who told u marriage is a spiritual mystery.? Marriage is even more physical
Re: Is A Reverend Father Qualified To Give Advice On Marital Crisis? by eedimo(m): 10:52am On Aug 30, 2020
Kiddo01:

lol, books and any publication can't help, I've seen a book written on how to be rich and the author is looking for sponsorship
Inside life
Re: Is A Reverend Father Qualified To Give Advice On Marital Crisis? by dokyOloye: 10:54am On Aug 30, 2020
deavicky:
imagine, how can teach what u don't know. It just like explaining the toothache to someone who had not experienced it before, no matter what u explain to him, he will never understand.
A doctor might never have experienced toothache but can understand and treat it based on intense studies and complains from other patients.
Rev fathers are highly educated and trained in such things, na 10-11yrs be senior seminary.
Many are certified guide and counselors.

1 Like

Re: Is A Reverend Father Qualified To Give Advice On Marital Crisis? by nnebebe: 10:55am On Aug 30, 2020
Rev. Frs are the most qualified persons to give advice on marital issues. They don't give based on sentiments.

Pastors and very religious people are the worst to have as husbands because the only verse they remember is the one that says he's the Lord and Master hence they give the worst marital advice.
Re: Is A Reverend Father Qualified To Give Advice On Marital Crisis? by Okudiover(m): 11:01am On Aug 30, 2020
Kiddo01:

In reply to your question let me ask another question. Is a medical doctor qualified to treat tuberculosis having not suffered from it before?

1 Like

Re: Is A Reverend Father Qualified To Give Advice On Marital Crisis? by supereagle(m): 11:01am On Aug 30, 2020
Yes. Paul didn't marry, but gave advice to the Church.
Re: Is A Reverend Father Qualified To Give Advice On Marital Crisis? by PHIPEX(m): 11:03am On Aug 30, 2020
Are you qualified to tell someone about Heaven? If yes then he can teach about marriage
Re: Is A Reverend Father Qualified To Give Advice On Marital Crisis? by kay7: 11:06am On Aug 30, 2020
Marriage is an institution ordained by God. God also gave marriage’s instruction manual in the Bible. If humans follow God’s instructions on marriage, marriage will be a bliss.
The Reverend Father studies this marriage manual and advices couples with marital problems based on Biblical doctrines.
Most so-called experiences are based on cultural backgrounds which differs and may not be in tandem with God’s own instructions. For example , in the Bible marriage is between a man and a woman. But today we have marriages between man and man; woman and woman, man and child (underage) etc.
God hates divorce but man sees divorce as normal. I can go on and on. But the bottom line is that the person who is knowledgeable in God’s own laws on marriage can give profitable advice on marriage. In this case, a Reverend Father is qualified
Re: Is A Reverend Father Qualified To Give Advice On Marital Crisis? by Ghostmode2two(m): 11:07am On Aug 30, 2020
Is there a monopoly to this?
Re: Is A Reverend Father Qualified To Give Advice On Marital Crisis? by ogawisdom(m): 11:07am On Aug 30, 2020
Kiddo01:

Marriage has manual for Operation and anyone that understands the manual can give advice.

The manual is the word of God in the Bible
Re: Is A Reverend Father Qualified To Give Advice On Marital Crisis? by femi4: 11:17am On Aug 30, 2020
Kiddo01:

Yes, Jesus did
Paul did.
Both were not married

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Wearing CAP In Church / Breaking Of Family Covenant / God Of Chosen Healed 8yr Old Deaf And Dumb At Oyo State Crusade

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.