Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,039 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:28 AM

Massive Weapons Uncovered In Northern Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Massive Weapons Uncovered In Northern Nigeria (4704 Views)

Abia Guber:plot To Plant Weapons Uncovered / Hezbollah Arms Cache: More Weapons Uncovered In Bunker / Armoury Uncovered In Kano & Lebanese Arrested (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Massive Weapons Uncovered In Northern Nigeria by Bintus2much(m): 10:56am On Feb 21, 2011
Nigerian troops uncover weapons cache

KANO, Nigeria — Troops in an area of Nigeria hit by repeated attacks blamed on Islamists have killed three gunmen in a shootout and uncovered a cache of weapons in separate incidents, the military said Sunday.
Both the shootout and the discovery of the weapons, which included rocket-propelled grenades and explosives, occurred Saturday in northeastern Nigeria, where the Islamist sect known as Boko Haram is based.
"Three gunmen driving towards Maiduguri from the border town of Gamboru Ngala opened fire on a military patrol team which responded and a shootout followed in which all the three gunmen were killed," Brigadier-General Tanko Yusuf Gaya said.
Three Kalashnikov rifles were found on the gunmen, Gaya said.
He declined to say whether the gunmen were members of Boko Haram, saying an investigation would determine their identity.
Separately, a tip-off from residents led soldiers to locate a cache of weapons in a car in a village near where the shootout occurred, Gaya said.
The weapons included a machine gun, rocket-propelled grenades, Kalashnikov rifles, explosives, hand grenades and a large quantity of ammunition, the army chief said.
"We are yet to ascertain the source of the weapons, their destination or what they were intended for," Gaya said, adding he believed they had been abandoned because the suspects wanted to avoid being arrested.
The sect launched an uprising in 2009 put down by a brutal military assault that left hundreds dead.
It has been blamed for a series of attacks and hit-and-run shootings in northern Nigeria in recent months that have left dozens dead.
Police say some of the killings may have been politically related ahead of April elections.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iOyWpZnPrPPrsdTA0BzcuAS6Lt1A?docId=CNG.2fa97f53bfcdc1875eb8f281d95222b2.1021[/b]
Re: Massive Weapons Uncovered In Northern Nigeria by yamtas335(m): 12:36pm On Feb 21, 2011
how come it was not on the newspapers this morning?
Re: Massive Weapons Uncovered In Northern Nigeria by Meldrick(m): 12:50pm On Feb 21, 2011
yamtas335:

how come it was not on the newspapers this morning?

Yeah but Google newspaper has brought it out.
Re: Massive Weapons Uncovered In Northern Nigeria by Bintus2much(m): 12:55pm On Feb 21, 2011
@Yamtas335, That is Nigeria for you, Maybe the Newspapers may report it later but am sure they are very careful because of the tension it might create in the country especially in this Period of Election
Re: Massive Weapons Uncovered In Northern Nigeria by yamtas335(m): 1:01pm On Feb 21, 2011
@ Bintus2much so if you know it might turn to something else why would you be among the first to report it out? don't you care about the safety of the great nation?, the government are not stupid for keeping quiet.
Re: Massive Weapons Uncovered In Northern Nigeria by kodewrita(m): 1:04pm On Feb 21, 2011
We are much safer knowing about it than otherwise. The public would be on the lookout for it.
Re: Massive Weapons Uncovered In Northern Nigeria by yamtas335(m): 1:11pm On Feb 21, 2011
you Nigerians have no idea about national security, do you think the security agency don't know who did all the bombings in nigeria? they know but they keep shut to make peace reign, but all you common folks want is transparency, the government has the right to uphold any classified information that is of threat to the peace of the nation, you people are just living in the country with no sense
Re: Massive Weapons Uncovered In Northern Nigeria by Bintus2much(m): 1:17pm On Feb 21, 2011
@Yamtas335, are you by implication suggesting that issues like this should not be reported on the papers because we are safe if we dont know? I disagree. I only gave a reason why the papers may not have reported it and not to justify why its not being reported. Am sure you will tread carefully now that you know. is not a shame on your country that you hear what is happening in your backyard from Foreign Press? There is nothing classified in this. It is a crime and those involved should be punished.
Re: Massive Weapons Uncovered In Northern Nigeria by Alxmyr(m): 1:21pm On Feb 21, 2011
Its on NTA, Channels and Ait.
Re: Massive Weapons Uncovered In Northern Nigeria by ekubear1: 1:26pm On Feb 21, 2011
Hrm. Always Borno State where these Boko Haram guys keep operating, no?
Re: Massive Weapons Uncovered In Northern Nigeria by kodewrita(m): 1:33pm On Feb 21, 2011
Special Agent Yamtas335 knows best
Re: Massive Weapons Uncovered In Northern Nigeria by yamtas335(m): 1:44pm On Feb 21, 2011
special dunce kodewrita knows less
Re: Massive Weapons Uncovered In Northern Nigeria by sadyeek(m): 2:30pm On Feb 21, 2011
Why is it when GEJ became president that all this violence got worst Something is seriously wrrong here, The most annoying thing about is is that he's not doing anything about it, and still people belive he's the best man to rule this country?? Pathetic and so unfortunate,
Re: Massive Weapons Uncovered In Northern Nigeria by Bintus2much(m): 2:41pm On Feb 21, 2011
@sadyeek, it is the same GOODLUCK whose tenure has experienced so much unrest in the country that people want to VOTE for. Some ppl say give him time and he will perform. How long did it take Obama and even Cameron when they were elected to start implementing their policies? Or is it after 4yrs that GOODLUCK will start implementing his policies? He was very quick to buy new Presidential Jets but to address security issues in the country, he needs so much time so that when he is ready to address the security issues, the country would have torn apart, RUBBISH
Re: Massive Weapons Uncovered In Northern Nigeria by yamtas335(m): 2:51pm On Feb 21, 2011
@ sadyeek have you forgotten that nigerians don't know what is good?

have you forgotten that over 60% of the population in nigeria are illiterates

have you forgotten that nigerians are one of the most unexposed people living on the surface of the earth,

almost all nigerians that support GEJ are christians because they say "ooh he is one of us so we will vote for him" even if he is coming into their home to rip them off they will still vote for him because they say he is a christian, Buhari is the only truthful candidate we have but Nigerians don't like him because of our sentiments, we will die out of ignorance, stupidity is a disease
Re: Massive Weapons Uncovered In Northern Nigeria by joeyfire(m): 2:52pm On Feb 21, 2011
sadyeek:

Why is it when GEJ became president that all this violence got worst Something is seriously wrrong here, The most annoying thing about is is that he's not doing anything about it, and still people belive he's the best man to rule this country?? Pathetic and so unfortunate,

GEJ's 15 minutes of fame are up. The man  has no answer to questions as to how to rule this country. I was livid to learn that his first trip to jos since the carnage began was just to attend his PDP campaign rally. Thats insensitive and sickening. Definiitely not the sort of leader we need
Re: Massive Weapons Uncovered In Northern Nigeria by 1025: 3:26pm On Feb 21, 2011
GEJ's 15 minutes of fame are up. The man has no answer to questions as to how to rule this country. I was livid to learn that his first trip to jos since the carnage began was just to attend his PDP campaign rally. Thats insensitive and sickening. Definiitely not the sort of leader we need

@joeyfire,
i can bet it with my life that 100 yrs to come will not be enough for jonathan to change nigeria. he is not informed, very very unready for leadership and is only happy because it is his time to loot.
i am from imo state and i must confess that the only change nigeria will see come 2011 is the buhari/bakare combination.
i will support any move to bring down pdp be it peaceful or violent.
12 wasteful and lootful, kidnappinly and badroadious, powerless and lawless yrs of pdp in nigeria.
my prayer is that God of anger and fire will visit all these men who have turned our God's giving happiness to sorrow, our plenty to lacks, our freedom to captivity/slavery. let them know that they are powerful but God is more powerful than them. let untimely death and sufferings without boundaries be their portions in this life and lives to come. let our sufferings and hardships be child's play in what will visit them and their generations.
i lost all my respect to pdp and whatever they can provide.
if anynigerian is expecting change through jonathan in tghe midst of all the corrupt nigerians arround him, that nigerian need to see a doctor.
Re: Massive Weapons Uncovered In Northern Nigeria by Mobinga: 3:40pm On Feb 21, 2011
Its not high priority for the papers. The Nigerian Media has sold its soul.
Back in 06 when there was a fire incident that killed 200 people in Lagos no mainstream paper (Guardian, Thisday, Nation etc) saw it necessary to report the news YET it was on the front pages of CNN and BBC. Why? What was on the front pages of the sham called Nigerian newspapers was OBJ's 3rd Term Propaganda.

Why?

Because people are funding what you read on your so called Newspapers. They fund the papers. Twist the news. Feed it to Nigerians. Spreading lies.
And yet they use slogans like "Conscience Nutured by Truth".
And other bullshit.

Should I even go to Madam Ibru's Money Fracas? Was it on the front page of the Guardian? No.

The media. Foreign media. All of them feed the world with lies. Fox News steadily attacks blacks, Obama, and HipHop.
Don't believe everything you read. Watch Live
Re: Massive Weapons Uncovered In Northern Nigeria by okunoba(m): 5:25pm On Feb 21, 2011
@yamtas335, the most unexposed  Nigerians happen to be from the muslim north, where most kids are raised with no formal education, but only thought the Koran and are told, anything not allowed by Mohammed(PBUH) when he was alive over a thousand years ago, is still relevant in the modern era. 

If  over 60% of the population in Nigeria are illiterates, then u most agree that most of these illiterates most come from the region that denies millions of its youth access to basic education, but would rather force feed them Islamic dogma. Where do you think the most enlightened and educated Nigerians come from? Where do u think the most celebrated Nigerian writers, Soyinka and Achebe are from? Do u think they are from a muslim heritage? Travel round the World, the Nigerians u come across who are doing great things  are mostly from the South and are predominantly christians.

I do not mean to disrespect people from the muslim North, I only wish the Northern elite will do something to change the lives of these voiceless kids, instead of coming here to write poo.

The exposed ones will never vote for religious fanatics disguised as Nationalist.
Re: Massive Weapons Uncovered In Northern Nigeria by GoldCircle: 5:27pm On Feb 21, 2011
I still believe the Nigerian military can effectively curb the this menace called boko haram. methinks they've been treating them with kid gloves. the same onslaught that was used to flush out militant from their hideouts should be adopted too here! why double standards??
Re: Massive Weapons Uncovered In Northern Nigeria by bigdoo: 5:38pm On Feb 21, 2011
GEJ has accomplished a lot more in less than one year than Yaradua ever accomplished in three years but his critics cannot relate to that fact. All the unrest and sabotage in Nigeria are coming from the north because northerners feel that it is their birthright to govern. Newsflash, the time of northerners is up and God not Allah is shaping up Nigeria polity and a lot more people are more aware of what is happening and what had happened in the country, thanks to modern technology.
Re: Massive Weapons Uncovered In Northern Nigeria by Beaf: 5:40pm On Feb 21, 2011
okunoba:

@yamtas335, the most unexposed  Nigerians happen to be from the muslim north, where most kids are raised with no formal education, but only thought the Koran and are told, anything not allowed by Mohammed(PBUH) when he was alive over a thousand years ago, is still relevant in the modern era.  

If  over 60% of the population in Nigeria are illiterates, then u most agree that most of these illiterates most come from the region that denies millions of its youth access to basic education, but would rather force feed them Islamic dogma. Where do you think the most enlightened and educated Nigerians come from? Where do u think the most celebrated Nigerian writers, Soyinka and Achebe are from? Do u think they are from a muslim heritage? Travel round the World, the Nigerians u come across who are doing great things  are mostly from the South and are predominantly christians.

I do not mean to disrespect people from the muslim North, I only wish the Northern elite will do something to change the lives of these voiceless kids, instead of coming here to write poo.

The exposed ones will never vote for religious fanatics disguised as Nationalist.

Thank you!
There was a topic recently about GEJ's plans to educate the almajiri, who are among the most abused children on the Earths surface. Rather than applaud, positively criticise or make suggestions, you should have witnessed the amount of swear words, vile abuse and utter gutter words pumped out by some of NL's Northern elite.
Yet, these hapless kids are bred in a manner that makes them easy pickings as fodder and expendable weapons in the various pseudo-religious conflicts that occur like clockwork up North.
We are at a stage in our history where very serious questions need to be asked about such attitudes.
Re: Massive Weapons Uncovered In Northern Nigeria by EzeUche2(m): 5:41pm On Feb 21, 2011
These people are starting their own "revolution" against the Nigerian state.
Re: Massive Weapons Uncovered In Northern Nigeria by tlops(m): 5:58pm On Feb 21, 2011
Bintus2much:

@Yamtas335, are you by implication suggesting that issues like this should not be reported on the papers because we are safe if we dont know? I disagree. I only gave a reason why the papers may not have reported it and not to justify why its not being reported. Am sure you will tread carefully now that you know. is not a shame on your country that you hear what is happening in your backyard from Foreign Press? There is nothing classified in this. It is a crime and those involved should be punished.

that is a subject for wikileak,
Re: Massive Weapons Uncovered In Northern Nigeria by 190: 7:24pm On Feb 21, 2011
why kant nigeria simply break away from the north

im tired of these terrorist we have in nigeria

wat kinda problem is this
Re: Massive Weapons Uncovered In Northern Nigeria by sarutobi: 7:48pm On Feb 21, 2011
1025:

@joeyfire,
i can bet it with my life that 100 yrs to come will not be enough for jonathan to change nigeria. he is not informed, very very unready for leadership and is only happy because it is his time to loot.
i am from imo state and i must confess that the only change nigeria will see come 2011 is the buhari/bakare combination.
i will support any move to bring down pdp be it peaceful or violent.
12 wasteful and lootful, kidnappinly and badroadious, powerless and lawless yrs of pdp in nigeria.
my prayer is that God of anger and fire will visit all these men who have turned our God's giving happiness to sorrow, our plenty to lacks, our freedom to captivity/slavery. let them know that they are powerful but God is more powerful than them. let untimely death and sufferings without boundaries be their portions in this life and lives to come. let our sufferings and hardships be child's play in what will visit them and their generations.
i lost all my respect to pdp and whatever they can provide.
if anynigerian is expecting change through jonathan in tghe midst of all the corrupt nigerians arround him, that nigerian need to see a doctor.

i really feel what you haves said. but i must remind you that only a few number of nigerians like us have this opinion. the worst part is that pdp is still gonna win.

there is no need to sacrifice your life or time or even anything to this. GEJ is just like a toy. just take a look at the man, always smiling even though his short tenure is a mess.

only god can save 9ja cry
Re: Massive Weapons Uncovered In Northern Nigeria by ekubear1: 9:41pm On Feb 21, 2011
Is Alhaji Harem secretly the commander of Boko Haram?  tongue
Re: Massive Weapons Uncovered In Northern Nigeria by PhysicsMHD(m): 10:01pm On Feb 21, 2011
eku_bear:

[size=13pt]Is Alhaji Harem secretly the commander of Boko Haram?  tongue[/size]

An important question. . .
Re: Massive Weapons Uncovered In Northern Nigeria by PhysicsHD: 11:21pm On Feb 21, 2011
^
Re: Massive Weapons Uncovered In Northern Nigeria by Beaf: 12:07am On Feb 22, 2011
eku_bear:

Is Alhaji Harem secretly the commander of Boko Haram? tongue

Chei! Una go wound man pikin o! grin grin grin
Re: Massive Weapons Uncovered In Northern Nigeria by Onlytruth(m): 12:26am On Feb 22, 2011
eku_bear:

Is Alhaji Harem secretly the commander of Boko Haramtongue

Actually this is the most important question about that guy.

Alhaji Harem is the most anti-southern Nigerian you can get on nairaland  undecided cool, and we all know that Boko Haraem's sold aim is to attack any Nigerian accustomed to western way of life -southern Nigerians.
Re: Massive Weapons Uncovered In Northern Nigeria by jemkob: 1:16am On Feb 22, 2011
We need love in this country, so much hate crawling in our hearts, something has to be done urgently before this country becomes a battleground for cultural and religious differences.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jonathan Pledges To Improve Nigeria’s Security Capabilities / Dumb And Criminal Actions Of GEJ / Why Life Is Meaningless To The Easterner!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.