Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,217 members, 7,822,107 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 06:37 AM

When Will Nigerians of Lebanese/Indian Descent Hold Political Office In Nigeria? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / When Will Nigerians of Lebanese/Indian Descent Hold Political Office In Nigeria? (1976 Views)

Throwback:You Have To Be A Cultist To Hold Political Position -Taribo West / NYSC Replies Adebayo Shittu, Says Political Office Not Replacement For NYSC / I Won’t Run For Political Office In 2019 ― Lai Mohammed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Will Nigerians of Lebanese/Indian Descent Hold Political Office In Nigeria? by nsiba: 4:14pm On Sep 01, 2020
Ben Bruce is what?
Re: When Will Nigerians of Lebanese/Indian Descent Hold Political Office In Nigeria? by BabaRamota1980: 4:27pm On Sep 01, 2020
aribisala0:
Yes Igbos should do the same grin
I agree completely! grin
Re: When Will Nigerians of Lebanese/Indian Descent Hold Political Office In Nigeria? by Pearlyakin(m): 6:36pm On Sep 01, 2020
nsiba:
Ben Bruce is what?
I think his great grandfather is Irish or German i guess.

1 Like

Re: When Will Nigerians of Lebanese/Indian Descent Hold Political Office In Nigeria? by aribisala0(m): 7:28pm On Sep 01, 2020
nsiba:
Ben Bruce is what?
Ben Bruce is Ijaw

1 Like

Re: When Will Nigerians of Lebanese/Indian Descent Hold Political Office In Nigeria? by Konquest: 10:28am On Apr 28, 2021
nsiba:
Ben Bruce is what?
Ben Murray-Bruce has a white Scottish paternal grandfather. Bayelsa Ijaw paternal grandmother.

Patrick Doyle's paternal grandfather is white Scottish.

Jerry J. Rawling's father is white
Scottish.

Bob Marley's father is white
Scottish.

Scotsmen sowing their wild
oats around the world.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When Will Nigerians of Lebanese/Indian Descent Hold Political Office In Nigeria? by Konquest: 10:41am On Apr 28, 2021
Pearlyakin:

I think his great grandfather is Irish or German i guess.
No...

Ben's paternal grandfather
is white Scottish just like
Jerry John Rawling's father is
Scottish.

It's Ben's father that is half
Scot paternally and half Ijaw maternally.

Ijaws are matrilinial like some
Ghanaian ethnicities, so Ben Murray-Bruce and his siblings are automatically eligible to adopt
Bayelsa as state of origin.

In addition...
Prof. Ola Rotimi's mother was
from Nembe in Bayelsa State,
and I was surprised when I read
after Ola Rotimi passed on that
his mother's people said he was eligible for burial in Nembe according to Ijaw customs even though Prof. Ola Rotimi's father
is Yoruba.

Who says Ijaws just like the
Ogonis are not partly of
Ghanaian descent/migration?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Will Nigerians of Lebanese/Indian Descent Hold Political Office In Nigeria? by Konquest: 11:58am On Apr 28, 2021
ultron12345:
Few days ago, we all saw the news about a Nigerian, or rather a Canadian of Nigerian descent been appointed as a Commissioner of Justice in Nigeria. It is not rare to see Britons and Americans of Nigerian descent been elected and appointed to political positions in the UK and US, from MPs to congressmen and women.

Unknown to many, Nigeria has a sizeable population of citizens who are of foreign descent. The majority are of Lebanese and Indian descent who have being in Nigeria since before independence, many for as much as 4/5 generations. There are a few of Chinese descent too, and other nationalities from around the world. They are all legally Nigerian Citizens, with the Nigerian Passport, and therefore have all rights that other Nigerians have, including the right to vote and be voted for in Nigerian elections. They contribute greatly to the growth of the country, as can be seen from their exploits in the private sector. From my interactions with them, I would argue that most of them are even far more Nigerian than the "indigenous" Nigerians.

Can these Chinese/Lebanese/Indian Nigerians get appointed or elected into political offices in Nigeria? If yes, then when? When will we have a Chinese-Nigerian Local Government Chairman in Kano, or a Lebanese-Nigerian Minister in Abuja or an Indian-Nigerian Governor in Oyo State? How do you think Nigerians would react?
Yes!

By joining a major political
party, and being active in your
local community service.

The ability to speak Yoruba or
Hausa like many Lebanese and
Indian-Nigerians do also helps.
Yoruba is the indigenous language
of Lagos State and the 6 states of the West, most parts of Kwara, and
parts of Kogi State. In addition,
Yorubaland extends right into
Benin Republic and the Atakpame
Region of Togo.

Hausa is a lingua franca in the
North of Nigeria and Hausaland
in Niger Republic.

'Nuff said.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When Will Nigerians of Lebanese/Indian Descent Hold Political Office In Nigeria? by grandstar(m): 9:16pm On Oct 26, 2023
ultron12345

A Lebanese was once the vice president of the Lagos chamber of commerce. That was the highest position.

I believe a Lebanese can win an election in the Southwest as many speak Yoruba fluently.

My sister when in secondary school in the UK used to spend her holiday with a fellow classmate who was Lebanese Nigerian.. They had a property in Knightsbridge, London.

Her friend didn't further her education after but got married.

Recently, my sister met up with her in Lagos and she complained my sister had become too oyinbo! (My sister has practically lived these since she was 19) My sister remarked privately to me that her son is gay but the mom is clueless.

There refusal to further education will work against them in politics.

As for Indians, their clannish tendency to stick together will work against them. It is an attitude they brought in from India due to their caste system. India is a very stratified society. I went to secondary school with many of them. They are quite nice.
Re: When Will Nigerians of Lebanese/Indian Descent Hold Political Office In Nigeria? by grandstar(m): 9:33pm On Oct 26, 2023
Konquest:

Ben Murray-Bruce has a white Scottish paternal grandfather. Bayelsa Ijaw paternal grandmother.

Patrick Doyle's paternal grandfather is white Scottish.

Jerry J. Rawling's father is white
Scottish.

Bob Marley's father is white
Scottish.

Scotsmen sowing their wild
oats around the world.

I wonder whether there were names they tagged them

For instance, a biracial with a black grandparent was called a quadroon. The person is quarter black

A biracial person with a black great grandparent is an octoroon. The person is one eighth black.

There was a brothel in the early 20th century Louisiana which made money by dealing exclusively with prostitutes who were either quadroons or octoroons. It made the patron a millionairess.

Mariah Carey, Meghan Maple and Ashleigh Plumptre are all quadroons but Plumptre white blood too strong.
Re: When Will Nigerians of Lebanese/Indian Descent Hold Political Office In Nigeria? by Rostikol: 9:42pm On Oct 26, 2023
daddytime:
Hmmm.

As funny and self-hating as this might sound if we are able to integrate them properly, the difference will definitely be seen in the aesthetics of our country and how things are done.

You do realise that Lebanon has the worst-performing economy in the world today, and relies on food aid to avert starvation?

So much for their light skin colour.

Nonsense.

Rwanda, Botswana, and Tanzania are far better managed than any of those countries the OP listed.

You are either a serious-minded people or you're not.

Has nothing to do with your skin colour.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Edo Election: Stunning Old Woman Dares Oshiomhole (video) / 2023: Orji Kalu Tops Chart As Favourite Igbo To Take Buhari's Seat / What Will Happen If Nnamdi Kanu Is Executed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.