Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,970 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:46 AM

When Will Nigerians of Lebanese/Indian Descent Hold Political Office In Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / When Will Nigerians of Lebanese/Indian Descent Hold Political Office In Nigeria? (1970 Views)

Throwback:You Have To Be A Cultist To Hold Political Position -Taribo West / NYSC Replies Adebayo Shittu, Says Political Office Not Replacement For NYSC / I Won’t Run For Political Office In 2019 ― Lai Mohammed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Will Nigerians of Lebanese/Indian Descent Hold Political Office In Nigeria? by ultron12345: 1:50pm On Sep 01, 2020
Few days ago, we all saw the news about a Nigerian, or rather a Canadian of Nigerian descent been appointed as a Commissioner of Justice in Nigeria. It is not rare to see Britons and Americans of Nigerian descent been elected and appointed to political positions in the UK and US, from MPs to congressmen and women.

Unknown to many, Nigeria has a sizeable population of citizens who are of foreign descent. The majority are of Lebanese and Indian descent who have being in Nigeria since before independence, many for as much as 4/5 generations. There are a few of Chinese descent too, and other nationalities from around the world. They are all legally Nigerian Citizens, with the Nigerian Passport, and therefore have all rights that other Nigerians have, including the right to vote and be voted for in Nigerian elections. They contribute greatly to the growth of the country, as can be seen from their exploits in the private sector. From my interactions with them, I would argue that most of them are even far more Nigerian than the "indigenous" Nigerians.

Can these Chinese/Lebanese/Indian Nigerians get appointed or elected into political offices in Nigeria? If yes, then when? When will we have a Chinese-Nigerian Local Government Chairman in Kano, or a Lebanese-Nigerian Minister in Abuja or an Indian-Nigerian Governor in Oyo State? How do you think Nigerians would react?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Will Nigerians of Lebanese/Indian Descent Hold Political Office In Nigeria? by woleabayo(f): 1:51pm On Sep 01, 2020
when you grow old

2 Likes

Re: When Will Nigerians of Lebanese/Indian Descent Hold Political Office In Nigeria? by Optional09: 1:53pm On Sep 01, 2020
Nigerians are bigger racist

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Will Nigerians of Lebanese/Indian Descent Hold Political Office In Nigeria? by Pollosa1: 1:54pm On Sep 01, 2020
Tribalism is rife in Nigeria. Most Nigerians I know are terrible tribalist and racists, if a Lebanese/Indian person tries to contest for elective position, they might even kidnap him and send him back to his original country cheesy

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Will Nigerians of Lebanese/Indian Descent Hold Political Office In Nigeria? by madamgrace: 1:59pm On Sep 01, 2020
Space never reach for us wey be indigenous Nigerians .. You de call oyinbo abi na afin sef

1 Like

Re: When Will Nigerians of Lebanese/Indian Descent Hold Political Office In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:09pm On Sep 01, 2020
Na omonile, tribalism and islamic matter dey worry the country.

1 Like

Re: When Will Nigerians of Lebanese/Indian Descent Hold Political Office In Nigeria? by daddytime(m): 2:23pm On Sep 01, 2020
Hmmm.

As funny and self-hating as this might sound if we are able to integrate them properly, the difference will definitely be seen in the aesthetics of our country and how things are done. The only problem is that these ones don too tey for Nigeria sotey na just yellow dem yellow for skin. Their blood, thinking, and everything na Nigerian.

Even me sef still dash one yeye European woman Nigerian nationality.

Make una no use Nigeria play oh, to get our nationality too no be moi moi oh
Re: When Will Nigerians of Lebanese/Indian Descent Hold Political Office In Nigeria? by aribisala0(m): 2:26pm On Sep 01, 2020
The simple truth is yes they can but they must identify with a primary constituency. e.g Yoruba Ijaw Edo etc , be accultured to that community and have a track record

5 Likes

Re: When Will Nigerians of Lebanese/Indian Descent Hold Political Office In Nigeria? by babasolution: 2:32pm On Sep 01, 2020
They will and should never be allowed to contest
Re: When Will Nigerians of Lebanese/Indian Descent Hold Political Office In Nigeria? by kingzizzy: 2:34pm On Sep 01, 2020
Reminds me of what Ramsey Noah said about when he went to get his first Nigerian passport, they put him through hell and back to prove he is a Nigerian a d is mixed race. Only God knows what they would do to someone who of foreign descent.

What I think is that Nigerians of foreign descent have already seen how the various indigenous tribes of Nigeria are fighting each other politically and they already know that the politics of Nigeria is no go area for them for now.

The indigenous tribes are yet to see them selves as 'one Nigeria', what hope does the Nigerian of foreign decent have?

1 Like

Re: When Will Nigerians of Lebanese/Indian Descent Hold Political Office In Nigeria? by wakaman: 2:37pm On Sep 01, 2020
Never! As far as the constitution banks it. Dual citizenship the clause.
Re: When Will Nigerians of Lebanese/Indian Descent Hold Political Office In Nigeria? by sageprime(m): 2:39pm On Sep 01, 2020
Wait if you can find the page about the allegations levied on African development bank president(Adesina).

You will see that they mentioned about him giving a post to a Kenyan formerly in the ministry of agriculture.
Re: When Will Nigerians of Lebanese/Indian Descent Hold Political Office In Nigeria? by dnawah(m): 2:41pm On Sep 01, 2020
ultron12345:
Few days ago, we all saw the news about a Nigerian, or rather a Canadian of Nigerian descent been appointed as a Commissioner of Justice in Nigeria. It is not rare to see Britons and Americans of Nigerian descent been elected and appointed to political positions in the UK and US, from MPs to congressmen and women.

Unknown to many, Nigeria has a sizeable population of citizens who are of foreign descent. The majority are of Lebanese and Indian descent who have being in Nigeria since before independence, many for as much as 4/5 generations. There are a few of Chinese descent too, and other nationalities from around the world. They are all legally Nigerian Citizens, with the Nigerian Passport, and therefore have all rights that other Nigerians have, including the right to vote and be voted for in Nigerian elections. They contribute greatly to the growth of the country, as can be seen from their exploits in the private sector. From my interactions with them, I would argue that most of them are even far more Nigerian than the "indigenous" Nigerians.

Can these Chinese/Lebanese/Indian Nigerians get appointed or elected into political offices in Nigeria? If yes, then when? When will we have a Chinese-Nigerian Local Government Chairman in Kano, or a Lebanese-Nigerian Minister in Abuja or an Indian-Nigerian Governor in Oyo State? How do you think Nigerians would react?
thèse people don't involve in do or die politics in their places.they are just ashame for you Nigerians.
Re: When Will Nigerians of Lebanese/Indian Descent Hold Political Office In Nigeria? by aribisala0(m): 2:43pm On Sep 01, 2020
wakaman:
Never! As far as the constitution banks it. Dual citizenship the clause.
What are you talking about exactly?
Re: When Will Nigerians of Lebanese/Indian Descent Hold Political Office In Nigeria? by wakaman: 2:48pm On Sep 01, 2020
aribisala0:
What are you talking about exactly?

Kindly refer to the Nigerian constitution on dual citizenship politicking.

You have to forfeit the other citizenship.
Re: When Will Nigerians of Lebanese/Indian Descent Hold Political Office In Nigeria? by aribisala0(m): 2:49pm On Sep 01, 2020
wakaman:

People pronounce with so much authority on things they clearly have superficial knowledge of

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When Will Nigerians of Lebanese/Indian Descent Hold Political Office In Nigeria? by wakaman: 2:55pm On Sep 01, 2020
aribisala0:
People pronounce with so much authority on things they clearly have superficial knowledge of

Not an authority just my interpretation of the dual citizenship clause and it's variations as enshrined the Nigerian constitution.
But maybe I don't understand it properly, kit learn me if that is the case. Thank you.
Re: When Will Nigerians of Lebanese/Indian Descent Hold Political Office In Nigeria? by aribisala0(m): 2:55pm On Sep 01, 2020
wakaman:

You do not have to forfeit anything.
There is a huge difference between if you ACQUIRED the citizenship of another country by Naturalization and if you acquired it by birth

Saraki never gave up his British citizenship because he acquired it by BIRTH

So if a person's Lebanese Grandafather was a Nigerian and his father is Nigerian he is Nigerian BY BIRTH and he may retain Lebanese citizenship IF he is entitled to that.

3 Likes

Re: When Will Nigerians of Lebanese/Indian Descent Hold Political Office In Nigeria? by BabaRamota1980: 2:56pm On Sep 01, 2020
ultron12345:

Instead of passing leadership of your Lebanese/Indian companies to successive generations of your blood relations start putting Nigerians in charge. That will earn you access into our elective offices.

2 Likes

Re: When Will Nigerians of Lebanese/Indian Descent Hold Political Office In Nigeria? by aribisala0(m): 2:57pm On Sep 01, 2020
wakaman:

Not an authority just my interpretation of the dual citizenship clause and it's variations as enshrined the Nigerian constitution.
But maybe I don't understand it properly, kit learn me if that is the case. Thank you.

Why not spend a little time to OPEN and READ the constitution grin

It is online do not be a lazy yoot grin
Re: When Will Nigerians of Lebanese/Indian Descent Hold Political Office In Nigeria? by aribisala0(m): 2:57pm On Sep 01, 2020
BabaRamota1980:

Instead of passing leadership of your Lebanese/Indian companies to successive generations of your blood relations start putting Nigerians in charge. That will earn you access into our elective offices.
Yes Igbos should do the same grin

2 Likes

Re: When Will Nigerians of Lebanese/Indian Descent Hold Political Office In Nigeria? by wakaman: 3:02pm On Sep 01, 2020
aribisala0:

You do not have to forfeit anything.
There is a huge difference between if you ACQUIRED the citizenship of another country by Naturalization and if you acquired it by birth

Saraki never gave up his British citizenship because he acquired it by BIRTH

So if a person's Lebanese Grandafather was a Nigerian and his father is Nigerian he is Nigerian BY BIRTH and he may retain Lebanese citizenship IF he is entitled to that.

Ok, there's the voluntary and involuntary acquisition of birth, I agree.

As in your Lebanese example and all,, the Lebanese would only be able to sail if he goes through the naturalization process it's not automatically conferred.
For Saraki he was forbidden to use his British passports during his politicking legally.
That is even for an involuntary citizen like Saraki.
Your allegiance can not be divided in two.

1 Like

Re: When Will Nigerians of Lebanese/Indian Descent Hold Political Office In Nigeria? by aribisala0(m): 3:03pm On Sep 01, 2020
wakaman:

CITIZENSHIP BY BIRTH
25.(1) The following persons are citizens of Nigeria by birth-namely-
(a) every person born in Nigeria before the date of independence, either of whose parents or any of whose grandparents belongs or belonged to a community indigenous to Nigeria;
Provided that a person shall not become a citizen of Nigeria by virtue of this section if neither of his parents nor any of his grandparents was born in Nigeria.
(b) every person born in Nigeria after the date of independence either of whose parents or any of whose grandparents is a citizen of Nigeria; and
(c) every person born outside Nigeria either of whose parents is a citizen of Nigeria.

FORFEITURE OF CITIZENSHIP
28.(1) Subject to the other provisions of this section, a person shall forfeit forthwith his Nigerian citizenship if, not being a citizen of Nigeria by birth, he acquires or retains the citizenship or nationality of a country, other than Nigeria, of which he is not a citizen by birth.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When Will Nigerians of Lebanese/Indian Descent Hold Political Office In Nigeria? by wakaman: 3:03pm On Sep 01, 2020
aribisala0:

Why not spend a little time to OPEN and READ the constitution grin

It is online do not be a lazy yoot grin

Kindly inteprete clause 15.15.
Re: When Will Nigerians of Lebanese/Indian Descent Hold Political Office In Nigeria? by wakaman: 3:05pm On Sep 01, 2020
aribisala0:

CITIZENSHIP BY BIRTH
25.(1) The following persons are citizens of Nigeria by birth-namely-
(a) every person born in Nigeria before the date of independence, either of whose parents or any of whose grandparents belongs or belonged to a community indigenous to Nigeria;
Provided that a person shall not become a citizen of Nigeria by virtue of this section if neither of his parents nor any of his grandparents was born in Nigeria.
(b) every person born in Nigeria after the date of independence either of whose parents or any of whose grandparents is a citizen of Nigeria; and
(c) every person born outside Nigeria either of whose parents is a citizen of Nigeria.

FORFEITURE OF CITIZENSHIP
28.(1) Subject to the other provisions of this section, a person shall forfeit forthwith his Nigerian citizenship if, not being a citizen of Nigeria by birth, he acquires or retains the citizenship or nationality of a country, other than Nigeria, of which he is not a citizen by birth.

You have thrown away the political office angle in this o.

Come from a political office angle
Re: When Will Nigerians of Lebanese/Indian Descent Hold Political Office In Nigeria? by aribisala0(m): 3:06pm On Sep 01, 2020
wakaman:

Kindly inteprete clause 15.15.

The constitution is divided in sections not clauses

I
Re: When Will Nigerians of Lebanese/Indian Descent Hold Political Office In Nigeria? by aribisala0(m): 3:08pm On Sep 01, 2020
wakaman:

You have thrown away the political office angle in this o.

Come from a political office angle

Guy I am not here to school you .

You are not paying me one kobo

Go and do your homework ,read the constitution and comprehend it or find a neighbour to translate it for you.

The bottomline is any Nigerian by birth can aspire to any elective office in Nigeria
Re: When Will Nigerians of Lebanese/Indian Descent Hold Political Office In Nigeria? by aribisala0(m): 3:14pm On Sep 01, 2020
The constitution is clear

131. A person shall be qualified for election to the office of the President if -
(a) he is a citizen of Nigeria by birth;
(b) he has attained the age of forty years;

(c) he is a member of a political party and is sponsored by that political party; and

(d) he has been educated up to at least School Certificate level or its equivalent.

Any Lebanese descent Person who was born in Nigeria and whose father was Nigerian at the time of his birth is Nigerian by birth

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Will Nigerians of Lebanese/Indian Descent Hold Political Office In Nigeria? by sinkhole: 3:14pm On Sep 01, 2020
ultron12345:

But there is one currently learning under the tutelage of Honourable Lai Mohammed.
The guy used to work for Channels TV before, wetin con be dat hin name oooo, Ngilale or something like dat cheesy
Re: When Will Nigerians of Lebanese/Indian Descent Hold Political Office In Nigeria? by Earthstorms(m): 3:29pm On Sep 01, 2020
I thought Buhari is a Nigerian of Sudanese or Niger descent. If that is correct, then we are already doing what the op is asking for

1 Like

Re: When Will Nigerians of Lebanese/Indian Descent Hold Political Office In Nigeria? by Texman21: 3:34pm On Sep 01, 2020
Hmmmmm

(1) (2) (Reply)

Throwback Old Newspaper: I Don't Believe In One Nigeria - Bola Tinubu / SWAGA Dismisses Peter Obi, Says 2023 Election Is Between Tinubu, Atiku / What Is Happening In Rivers State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.