Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,114 members, 7,860,029 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 12:34 AM

How My Son Started Reading Was... - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How My Son Started Reading Was... (156 Views)

New Naira Notes Scarcity, See What My Son's School Sent To Us / My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding / How My Son Started Reading Was... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How My Son Started Reading Was... by Brainistead(f): 3:40pm On Sep 01, 2020
Today, My Child can READ because i followed these steps...

My Son had been struggling with Reading for long but when I started doing what was written here...

He is 7 years now and reads books above his age. I suggest you follow these steps to teaching your child to Read!

The first step is to start building the child's phonemic awareness skill (which is the ability to notice, think about, and work with the individual sounds in spoken words). A child who is phonemically aware can spot the difference between /bat/ or /pat/, /fit/ or /vit/; can orally blend and combine different separate sounds to form words; can even break words into separate sounds.

How can you help your child learn to do this?

You can help build your child's phonemic awareness skill through reciting and singing rhymes like 'Jack and Jill went up the hill...', by playing sound games -
For example- Get two or three containers, fill one with stones, the other, sand and the last, beads. Name them A, B, C.

Note: You and your child should take part in the filling and the naming of the containers.

Then ask him to close his eyes.

Shake a container and ask "which container made that sound? A, B, or C and what does it contain? Sand, stones or beads?

Note: This should be fun and you can even take turns.

Step 2 &3
In the process of building phonemic awareness, build print awareness too!

Start reading to and with the child.
In your free time, read too or act like you are reading - he has to see you read!

Step 4: Introduce Phonics!
This is another important step in teaching your child to read. My book -ANYONE CAN teach READING - can be your guide.

Phonics instruction teaches children the relationships between the letters (graphemes) of written language and the individual sounds (phonemes) of spoken language.

Step 5

(Word) Fluency building
Fluency is the ability to read a text accurately and quickly. When fluent readers read silently, they recognize words automatically.

To get the book - ANYONE CAN teach READing, send a WhatsApp message to -07056635342

(1) (Reply)

Are You The Accountant Who Is Confused About IFRS? / Subscribe! Subscribe!! Subscribe!!! / Human Rights Group Petition Minister Of Education

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.