Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,349 members, 7,812,000 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:55 AM

My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding (28365 Views)

Nigerian Man Marries His Secondary School Mate, 15 Years Later (Photos) / Ghanaian Man Kneels Down To Beg His Secondary School Girlfriend (VIDEO) / Pastor Tony Akinyemi's Son Is Best Graduating Student In US University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by treatise: 9:47am On Aug 07, 2021
Good morning Nairalanders, my is son is 12years old and in JSS 3 and has been adjudged to have high grasping ability by teachers and those he's interacted with but we have made several efforts to make him have interest in his academics ; he does not have any interest. We started giving lesson teachers when he turned 3 years but he particularly does not do well in math whereas he does wonders with his laptop.

A corps member who was teaching him math casually introduced Coding to him, copied some introductory steps to his laptop and left town. Since then he's been playing with the ebooks the corps member left for him and that informed my decision to employ the services of a computer engineer who was wowed by my son's level of advancement in coding ; he's built a couple of websites though rudimentary in my consideration.

It's a fact that almost all courses in universities require math as a prerequisite in getting admission; I kindly need your advice on best approach(es) in solving this challenge.

Thanks so much great people.

81 Likes 7 Shares

Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by Bhadmus7: 9:55am On Aug 07, 2021
The world is evolving right now..don't make the mistake of allowing him waste his precious years in the university hustling for certificate..
Instead, enrol him into some Tech Hub and I.T hub, let him develop his coding skills..
He will be forever grateful to u

539 Likes 32 Shares

Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by EasternActivist: 9:58am On Aug 07, 2021
Wow build on it... Don't kill it..

He might be another emegwali

109 Likes 9 Shares

Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by Dayotheeone(m): 10:01am On Aug 07, 2021
What you have is a genius for a son.
He seems to be emulating the characters of famous great inventors and scholars.
He like some many of us is not book smart but he is full of knowledge and is lucky to have found his place if interest and also lucky to have a father like you who knows how to nuture talent.
But it wouldn't be all rossy, don't be surprised if he drops this interest and picks another one, it's not because he is bored but because he no longer finds it challenging
Just watch him pick up tech skills but be sure to help support his education

128 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by PaNnamdi: 10:01am On Aug 07, 2021
Your son want to become a yahoo boy and sacm people that's what bullhari led had turned Nigerian youths to become

No jobs no schools no empowerment but

Scammers

PaNnamdi is angry angry

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by Nobody: 10:10am On Aug 07, 2021
treatise:
Good morning Nairalanders, my is son is 12years old and in JSS 3 and has been adjudged to have high grasping ability by teachers and those he's interacted with but we have made several efforts to make him have interest in his academics ; he does not have any interest. We started giving lesson teachers when he turned 3 years but he particularly does not do well in math whereas he does wonders with his laptop.

A corps member who was teaching him math casually introduced Coding to him, copied some introductory steps to his laptop and left town. Since then he's been playing with the ebooks the corps member left for him and that informed my decision to employ the services of a computer engineer who was wowed by my son's level of advancement in coding ; he's built a couple of websites though rudimentary in my consideration.

It's a fact that almost all courses in universities require math as a prerequisite in getting admission; I kindly need your advice on best approach(es) in solving this challenge.

Enrol him in APTECH. But ensure he has his secondary school certificate. He'll in time come to understand the need for a university degree as he grows.

155 Likes 10 Shares

Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by yanabasee1(m): 10:14am On Aug 07, 2021
OP is lying.....

He's lying... and this story doesn't add up...

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by MVLOX(m): 10:35am On Aug 07, 2021
Same thing I will do for my son and children

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by siofra(f): 10:39am On Aug 07, 2021
Interesting...
I used to be that interested in computers, laptops and phones but my parents labeled me a lazy person. Now I'm the one fixing every minor issue in their phones.

Don't treat your child the way my parents treated me, he'll resent you for it.

74 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by Alusiizizi(m): 11:26am On Aug 07, 2021
treatise:

He does not do well in Mathematics because the so-called mathematics that is being taught in Nigerian secondary schools is far beneath his natural ability, which is why he has "tuned out". Anyone that has a natural ability for coding(which seems to be the case here) also has a natural ability for mathematics. Perhaps you should find and enroll him in more advanced(challenging) schools where he can truly develop his aptitudes, then you will see real enthusiasm for school. I should know all this, I was once one of those types.

57 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by Commentor: 11:34am On Aug 07, 2021
EasternActivist:
Wow build on it... Don't kill it..

He might me another emegwali

grin
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by nekejinsi(m): 11:39am On Aug 07, 2021
Let him try aptech or niit. At op, the world is more of skills today.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by Mastakija(m): 12:54pm On Aug 07, 2021
PaNnamdi:
Your son want to become a yahoo boy and sacm people that's what bullhari led had turned Nigerian youths to become

Scammers

PaNnamdi is angry angry

you're not making any sense

21 Likes

Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by Lamasta(m): 1:04pm On Aug 07, 2021
Coding and Maths go together enlighten your son the more...

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by PapaNnamdi: 1:13pm On Aug 07, 2021
PaNnamdi:

Scammers

PaNnamdi is angry angry

You dare try to use my moniker,

U wan de wyn ur village people abi

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by Nobody: 1:23pm On Aug 07, 2021

hehehe...I laugh in kafanchan!

12 yrs KO!

jss3 NI!

creating websites my foot!

coding kpoo GI oku there!

1 Like

Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by KaideeGee(m): 1:25pm On Aug 07, 2021
Hmm. Problem.
Secondary education is basic, but not compulsory
At least let him get his o'level, even if He studies at home. O'level is important.
But to me secondary school is a very important and expository time in a person's life. In the self discovery, socialization, and general building up of the individual.

By choice anyway.

2 Likes

Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by Nobody: 1:26pm On Aug 07, 2021

I know sey you dey lie but

KWANTINUE!

1 Like

Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by MickzyDonald: 1:29pm On Aug 07, 2021
PaNnamdi:

Scammers

PaNnamdi is angry angry

Dullest psychopath I've seen today, try using your empty skull sometimes even though it's still gonna prove abortive

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by ITbomb(m): 1:29pm On Aug 07, 2021
By all means, make him love math while growing his coding skills
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by Nobody: 1:50pm On Aug 07, 2021
Alusiizizi:

He does not do well in Mathematics because the so-called mathematics that is being taught in Nigerian secondary schools is far beneath his natural ability, which is why he has "tuned out". Anyone that has a natural ability for coding(which seems to be the case here) also has a natural ability for mathematics. Perhaps you should find and enroll him in more advanced(challenging) schools where he can truly develop his aptitudes, then you will see real enthusiasm for school. I should know all this, I was once one of those types.

@bolded, that's what I can't understand in the OP's post too.
It's impossible for a person naturally good at coding or natural tech abilities to be mathematically poor. Something must be wrong somewhere.

But against what you said. At least out of all the irrelevant subjects taught in Nigeria education system, mathematics is still in a way not that bad compared with the standard in other parts of the world. Because mathematics doesn't change or grow old. It's same basics that applies anywhere in the world. That's the good thing about mathematics. It's a reality course, you can even derive formulas yourself.
So, he should be able to flow with it and excel. Any creative, tech talented person would naturally have love or passion for mathematics because it is mentally tasking, logical, pragmatic and applicable in reality. Love for mathematics should be so natural, he would like to do calculations even without any teacher.

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by Jerryherd: 1:55pm On Aug 07, 2021
cool

No matter what never ever compromise on your son's all round Education, Maths , English, Sciences

To be honest, with the level of sophistication in programming language of the future, it would be possible for any normal person to code, codes might even be automated

See it like any obioma or aboki tailor can stitch two cloths together, but only a fashion designer with proper Education can cut cloth with precision, design a style, and then put it together

Development of a software requires tens of skills, coding is just on of them

Ask a Software engineer what it takes ;

*Graphics design(what attracts the audience especially on playstore)
*Formulation of Application (what your software actually does)
*Software architecture and documentation

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by dingbang(m): 2:09pm On Aug 07, 2021
So you want him to be singing A is for apple all the time. Nigerian parents are just something else
Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by chyzoo4u(m): 2:17pm On Aug 07, 2021
michael77777:

hehehe...I laugh in kafanchan!

12 yrs KO!

jss3 NI!

creating websites my foot!

coding kpoo GI oku there!

Chains!!!

Anyone?

3 Likes

Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by Kennyking1234: 2:22pm On Aug 07, 2021
treatise:

amazing!! Son you got, don't be like the typical "Nigerian dream killing parent"

You can challenge your son to build a math related project. E.g calculator, graph plotting etc. That would make him see the relationship between coding and math.

By the way what language is your son learning?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SpuBqvNjHI

10 Likes

Re: My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding by franklingud(m): 2:44pm On Aug 07, 2021
Parents please, allow your children to follow their talents from a young age.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

ASUU Strike: FG Agrees On N200b In 2014 Budget On Universities / Auchi Polytechnic Form's Now On Sale In Auchi. / Lautech Increases School Fees From N75,000 To N250,000.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.