Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,875 members, 7,817,576 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:45 PM

What Is Your Experience Doing Online Business With Fellow Nigerians? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What Is Your Experience Doing Online Business With Fellow Nigerians? (577 Views)

Earn Big Doing Online Biz. / Fellow Nigerians, We did it again. Congratulobia! / How To Make $300 A Day In Nigeria - Doing Online Work Let's See (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Your Experience Doing Online Business With Fellow Nigerians? by ModestGal(f): 9:38am On Sep 03, 2020
In online business, both the service provider and the service receiver can scam one another, and when it comes to Nigerians, the risk of this is higher.

Through my years of providing online services, I have encountered more problems while working with fellow Nigerians irrespective of tribes, religion etc, than folks from other Nations. Once you deliver as promised,on time, you will have little to no problems with them.

For sure, we have good ones amidst us, but the bad eggs have spoilt the reputation of the few good ones. They would want to cheat you in one way or the other because they understand you don't know them physically and can't take any action against them to get your money from them.

When I do payment on delivery, after finalization and conclusion from both of us, on items prices and delivery fee, on arrival they either start saying they will pay me tomorrow that they forgot to tell me before I left home.

If its delivery only (picking and home delivery) after agreeing a payment, #1000 for instance, when you meet them, they will give you #800 or #900 and tell you ''shebi its not far now

The last catastrophe I had was with a nairalander here , someone I held with high esteem,almost turning to a friend, he was the least person I expected to have issues with, after delivering a job (web content writing) as we agreed. He refused to pay me my balance, after 24hours, he came back to be telling me he won't pay me anything more, that, he believed his deposit would coverup for all the payments.
This is someone I told, I receive half payment before I start working and the rest after work completion, he told me no problem and that he would make a commitment deposit fee as I requested, which means he would balance me up afterwards since he doesn't know how many words he wanted. Since he gave me half payment, I just used my discretion, and wrote contents double of his payment. After delivering the job, I asked him to pay balance, he refused to reckon with me for 24hours, later gave me excuse he w's busy, later said, what if hes not satisfied with the quantity, afterwards, he said he had gone through and its too much,till now, I'm yet to receive my balance from him. Its from one excuse to the the other.

This is one reason I believe an average Nigerian is part of the problem of this Nation, only intrested in stealing, lieing to take what is not theirs. These set of people do not care about integrity or whatever, they only want to chop and leave without caring about how the next person feels.

This is why today, many countries do not want to do business with Nigerians and people need to lie about their country just to get job offers and business deals with foreigners on job sites. Nigeria is now synonymous with scam.

I believe we need to change this narrative, if we indeed care about the coming generation.

What is your experience doing online business with fellow Nigerians?
Re: What Is Your Experience Doing Online Business With Fellow Nigerians? by ModestGal(f): 9:38am On Sep 03, 2020
It is well with Nigerians
Re: What Is Your Experience Doing Online Business With Fellow Nigerians? by ModestGal(f): 9:52am On Sep 03, 2020
Nigerians scamming fellow Nigerians for no reason
Re: What Is Your Experience Doing Online Business With Fellow Nigerians? by Vyzz: 10:00am On Sep 03, 2020
ModestGal:
?

Lol

I know this is about the money...

But anyways... Cyber fraud is bad, no kidding...

Is the guy the damn nigger guy?
Re: What Is Your Experience Doing Online Business With Fellow Nigerians? by ModestGal(f): 10:04am On Sep 03, 2020
Vyzz:

Lol

I know this is about the money...

But anyways... Cyber fraud is bad, no kidding...

Is the guy the damn nigger guy?
No sir
Re: What Is Your Experience Doing Online Business With Fellow Nigerians? by JIMMY1393: 8:07pm On Sep 07, 2020
ModestGal:
In online business, both the service provider and the service receiver can scam one another, and when it comes to Nigerians, the risk of this is higher.

Through my years of providing online services, I have encountered more problems while working with fellow Nigerians irrespective of tribes, religion etc, than folks from other Nations. Once you deliver as promised,on time, you will have little to no problems with them.

For sure, we have good ones amidst us, but the bad eggs have spoilt the reputation of the few good ones. They would want to cheat you in one way or the other because they understand you don't know them physically and can't take any action against them to get your money from them.

When I do payment on delivery, after finalization and conclusion from both of us, on items prices and delivery fee, on arrival they either start saying they will pay me tomorrow that they forgot to tell me before I left home.

If its delivery only (picking and home delivery) after agreeing a payment, #1000 for instance, when you meet them, they will give you #800 or #900 and tell you ''shebi its not far now

The last catastrophe I had was with a nairalander here , someone I held with high esteem,almost turning to a friend, he was the least person I expected to have issues with, after delivering a job (web content writing) as we agreed. He refused to pay me my balance, after 24hours, he came back to be telling me he won't pay me anything more, that, he believed his deposit would coverup for all the payments.
This is someone I told, I receive half payment before I start working and the rest after work completion, he told me no problem and that he would make a commitment deposit fee as I requested, which means he would balance me up afterwards since he doesn't know how many words he wanted. Since he gave me half payment, I just used my discretion, and wrote contents double of his payment. After delivering the job, I asked him to pay balance, he refused to reckon with me for 24hours, later gave me excuse he's busy, later said what if hes not satisfied with the quantity, later said he has gone through and its too much,till now, I'm yet to receive my balance from him. Its one excuse or the other.

This is one reason I believe an average Nigerian is part of the problem of this Nation, only intrested in stealing, lieing to take what is not theirs. These set of people do not care about integrity or whatever, they only want to chop and leave without caring about how the next person feels.

This is why today, many countries do not want to do business with Nigerians and people need to lie about their country just to get job offers and business deals with foreigners on job sites. Nigeria is now synonymous with scam.

I believe we need to change this narrative, if we indeed care about the coming generation.

What is your experience doing online business with fellow Nigerians?

Sorry with all you're dealing with...I swear I sometimes feel I'm an American trapped in a Nigerian body...to God I hate this country and the people in it...the amount of scams mehn but me I'm a sharp individual I know a shady person when I see one...when I'm doing online business I even have to lie about my nationality...I'm too ashamed to admit I'm Nigerian...and now my gtb card won't work with PayPal anymore cos of some stupid policy they introduced :/ I'm just fucking tired of this country....and also the guy that cheated you is worse than scum
...I hate people that go back on their word after an agreement ...those giving 800/900 instead of the agreed 1000 I hope car hits them cos I'm very sure if the case was reversed they will curse your entire generation
Re: What Is Your Experience Doing Online Business With Fellow Nigerians? by ModestGal(f): 8:30pm On Sep 07, 2020
JIMMY1393:

Sorry with all you're dealing with...I swear I sometimes feel I'm an American trapped in a Nigerian body...to God I hate this country and the people in it...the amount of scams mehn but me I'm a sharp individual I know a shady person when I see one...when I'm doing online business I even have to lie about my nationality...I'm too ashamed to admit I'm Nigerian...and now my gtb card won't work with PayPal anymore cos of some stupid policy they introduced :/ I'm just fucking tired of this country....and also the guy that cheated you is worse than scum
...I hate people that go back on their word after an agreement ...those giving 800/900 instead of the agreed 1000 I hope car hits them cos I'm very sure if the case was reversed they will curse your entire generation
Thanks my brother, it can be very painful, but please, take the curse away, may car not hit them. I don't want harm for them although I felt very hurt and cheated. I used to be ashamed of relating with foreigners that I am Nigerian z but since 5years back, I have grown wiser and I am introduce myself as a Nigerian without hesitation.

I learnt that once you love yourself, you won't be ashamed of anything caused by idiots you never set your eyes on. I introduce myself as a Nigerian, an African, and a Muslim lady even before anyone ask me. I have understood that I need to keep people that want to keep me, if they are not comfortable with me being a Nigerian, they can take a leave. There are several ways I get clients and I won't care if one choose to leave due to things I am not to be blamed for.

Yea,it hurts so much, I didn't commit the sins with them and thus I shouldn't feel guilty or get treated badly for what I know nothing about, if you get treated badly for things you know nothing about just because you share thesame skin colour and Nation with the offenders, don't feel guilty,because the person doing the collective blaming is the bad one,so you should be happy instead that you are the good one. We can't do nothing about our skin colour or where we were born, so don't feel ashamed

I hope that helps you and give you some confidence as a Nigerian

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Experience Doing Online Business With Fellow Nigerians? by JIMMY1393: 9:00pm On Sep 07, 2020
ModestGal:

Thanks my brother, it can be very painful, but please, take the curse away, may car not hit them. I don't want harm for them although I felt very hurt and cheated. I used to be ashamed of relating with foreigners that I am Nigerian z but since 5years back, I have grown wiser and I am introduce myself as a Nigerian without hesitation.

I learnt that once you love yourself, you won't be ashamed of anything caused by idiots you never set your eyes on. I introduce myself as a Nigerian, an African, and a Muslim lady even before anyone ask me. I have understood that I need to keep people that want to keep me, if they are not comfortable with me being a Nigerian, they can take a leave. There are several ways I get clients and I won't care if one choose to leave due to things I am not to be blamed for.

Yea,it hurts so much, I didn't commit the sins with them and thus I shouldn't feel guilty or get treated badly for what I know nothing about, if you get treated badly for things you know nothing about just because you share thesame skin colour and Nation with the offenders, don't feel guilty,because the person doing the collective blaming is the bad one,so you should be happy instead that you are the good one. We can't do nothing about our skin colour or where we were born, so don't feel ashamed

It was just words, me myself I hate violence and would never wish my enemies any harm

As regards admitting you are Nigerian , I started out saying I'm Nigerian proudly when I started...once customers found out I was most of them would seize communication..I've been discriminated occasionally cos of my nationality...even asides business ..just causual friends I made from places like Greece, us, Saudi Arabia all were always like shocked shocked anytime I said I was African...I never specifically mentioned Nigeria and just always replied "I'm from Africa" and most of them just see Africa as one country so they never bothered to find exactly which country...even asides the scam and bad name we have made for ourselves they are always surprised I'm African cos of how smart I present myself to them with proper English...one even said he didn't know we had internet imagine...another girl was like "wow I can't believe your African your English is so good omg" I was like aunty do you think it's gibberish we speak here or what...english is the major language in my country....smh I don't blame them Sha...one from Greece was even making fun that there are Nigerians in Greece always begging on the road and stealing and stuff...and this is one of the ones I told I'm just African so me too I was like wow that's bad of them while him not knowing he's talking to one of Nigerias begging...so I commend you and actually respect you for hiding nothing but me I just can't... hopefully one day I'm as honorable as you in that regards

And I never had problem with my skin color...even if I was as black as charcoal I wouldn't care...couldn't care less about racism, that's the whitemans headache not mine....my own concern is being associated with a country that's known for fraud and crimes which makes people not want to do business with me...if I was from a country like South Africa or Ghana I would proudly say...there's little to nothing to say good about this country which makes me sad
Re: What Is Your Experience Doing Online Business With Fellow Nigerians? by bamidele89: 9:57pm On Sep 07, 2020
Selling online is not easy in nigeria
It just takes the grace of God
Re: What Is Your Experience Doing Online Business With Fellow Nigerians? by jesmond3945: 10:03pm On Sep 07, 2020
ModestGal:

wonderful. Wisdom
Re: What Is Your Experience Doing Online Business With Fellow Nigerians? by jesmond3945: 10:12pm On Sep 07, 2020
JIMMY1393:

It was just words, me myself I hate violence and would never wish my enemies any harm

As regards admitting you are Nigerian , I started out saying I'm Nigerian proudly when I started...once customers found out I was most of them would seize communication..I've been discriminated occasionally cos of my nationality...even asides business ..just causual friends I made from places like Greece, us, Saudi Arabia all were always like shocked shocked anytime I said I was African...I never specifically mentioned Nigeria and just always replied "I'm from Africa" and most of them just see Africa as one country so they never bothered to find exactly which country...even asides the scam and bad name we have made for ourselves they are always surprised I'm African cos of how smart I present myself to them with proper English...one even said he didn't know we had internet imagine...another girl was like "wow I can't believe your African your English is so good omg" I was like aunty do you think it's gibberish we speak here or what...english is the major language in my country....smh I don't blame them Sha...one from Greece was even making fun that there are Nigerians in Greece always begging on the road and stealing and stuff...and this is one of the ones I told I'm just African so me too I was like wow that's bad of them while him not knowing he's talking to one of Nigerias begging...so I commend you and actually respect you for hiding nothing but me I just can't... hopefully one day I'm as honorable as you in that regards

And I never had problem with my skin color...even if I was as black as charcoal I wouldn't care...couldn't care less about racism, that's the whitemans headache not mine....my own concern is being associated with a country that's known for fraud and crimes which makes people not want to do business with me...if I was from a country like South Africa or Ghana I would proudly say...there's little to nothing to say good about this country which makes me sad
well said but I would also add just like modest gal wrote, if you come to the point of telling someone point blank that you a Nigerian no matter the stereotype then you have actually amassed enough confidence that would propel father than you think. The white man always judges us by our background and not from the strength of our character. If it is scam, no one scams pass the white man. Why don't we judge them by the scams, the reason is that they have a way to hide their bad side behind politeness and pretend to be good. Is only when you are drawn deep they strike while an African who is a scammer is known already. In summary, if you judge me by my background then you are not worth doing business with. Doing business with you is rejecting my identity and accepting your derogatory and inferior narrative. Let my character and work speak for me, if you think not then Bleep off.
Re: What Is Your Experience Doing Online Business With Fellow Nigerians? by OYENIYIJK: 10:20pm On Sep 07, 2020
Some people are even quoting long thread. I don't even know where to start reading!

Re: What Is Your Experience Doing Online Business With Fellow Nigerians? by JIMMY1393: 11:27am On Sep 08, 2020
jesmond3945:
well said but I would also add just like modest gal wrote, if you come to the point of telling someone point blank that you a Nigerian no matter the stereotype then you have actually amassed enough confidence that would propel father than you think. The white man always judges us by our background and not from the strength of our character. If it is scam, no one scams pass the white man. Why don't we judge them by the scams, the reason is that they have a way to hide their bad side behind politeness and pretend to be good. Is only when you are drawn deep they strike while an African who is a scammer is known already. In summary, if you judge me by my background then you are not worth doing business with. Doing business with you is rejecting my identity and accepting your derogatory and inferior narrative. Let my character and work speak for me, if you think not then Bleep off.

Wow ...those words...the last part... actually hit me hard...I need to start owning up then...it won't be easy but I will try...to hell with this white people
Re: What Is Your Experience Doing Online Business With Fellow Nigerians? by Offpoint: 10:51pm On Sep 09, 2020
Had lots of terrible experience, but I have to accept it the way it is.

(1) (Reply)

Let's Rub Minds - Low Content And No Content Book On Whatsapp / Chiller For Sale (distress Sales) / Please I Need To Transfer My Property From Abuja To Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.